Jump to content

Australia/NZ Cruising News


Recommended Posts

On 11/19/2022 at 2:28 PM, Chili said:

If it made any sense,Royal should get together with Carnival and some foreign aid group and build a decent wharf here.

Port Vila and Vanuatu is a lovely place. I once had to go there for work and unexpectedly spent two weeks there. I will say that it's lovely for a day or two, but trying to find a way to keep yourself entertained in off-hours for two weeks is...tricky 🙂  The people are incredible, though. 

As someone from a developing country in Africa, though, the sceptic in me says that Carnival + Royal have enough money to build a decent wharf on their own without using foreign aid that could go to much better causes. But I'll end my opinions there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks like New Zealand is going to help with the rebuilding/developing the wharfs in Vanuatu. Most of the money is to support their interisland shipping which is critical to Vanuatu's economy and infrustracture. 

https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/south-pacific/130557203/new-zealand-supports-vanuatu-with-10m-to-build-climateresilient-wharfs

Hopefully this will also give them the infrustructure to build on and look at upgrading their cruise ship infustrature.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Chili said:

Looks like some local politics in play.  I'm unsure how the government works there.  Is the Chief and their tribe in control over everything on the island or is there another governing body that controls some matters?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, twangster said:

Looks like some local politics in play.  I'm unsure how the government works there.  Is the Chief and their tribe in control over everything on the island or is there another governing body that controls some matters?

Yeah politics or tribal customs but it seems to me ,that in the first paragraph it says Ovation will be visiting Lelepa in the coming months.

They could use the overnights in Vila to do a day in Lelepa then a day in Vila.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I still wonder what they will offer at Lelepa that you can’t get at other Islands. I have already read that is won’t be a Cococay of the South Pacific but certainly Mystery Island seems to be more set up to offer an experience than Lelepa over the next few years.

I am slightly biased as we we really enjoyed Mystery Island on our last visit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On the surface it seems like Royal made the Lelepa deal with one governing body but now the Chief wants in on the action.  I can't imagine the Chief would be taking the position stated if they were already in the loop. 

“We don’t want them to approach a middle person instead of the rightful owner. With close collaboration I think its ok to visit but approach the rightful people of the land.”

It makes me wonder what's going on in the local politics of Lelepa.  It doesn't seem like the Chief or the tribe was involved in the original deal.  

Royal maybe finding itself in the middle of a squabble between local factions and if that gets ugly enough they could back out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Chili said:

It sounds like there’s going to be a clash of cultures .

 Indigenous values opposed to  a multinational corporation. But that’s the whole idea of the resort, bringing the world to experience the island.

 

Sounds like the Chief wants to be the person directing the process.  It's not so much that the Chief is against the project or that it's the tribe versus a big multinational corporation, the Chief just wants to be in control of it, ensuring they aren't locked out or watching from the sidelines.   Seems reasonable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, twangster said:

Sounds like the Chief wants to be the person directing the process.  It's not so much that the Chief is against the project or that it's the tribe versus a big multinational corporation, the Chief just wants to be in control of it, ensuring they aren't locked out or watching from the sidelines.   Seems reasonable.

From memory the island is very religious, I wonder how that’s go to go with alcohol ,bikinis and loud music.

But from Royal’s side they want to bring in people with expertise from construction through to mixing drinks and the locals want to control it.

I bet they are wishing the had outright ownership of the land.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Chili said:

From memory the island is very religious, I wonder how that’s go to go with alcohol ,bikinis and loud music.

But from Royal’s side they want to bring in people with expertise from construction through to mixing drinks and the locals want to control it.

I bet they are wishing the had outright ownership of the land.

I never got the impression Royal was trying to create CoCoLelepa.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, CruisingOz said:

This is no different to islands like Isle of Pines where the Chief oversees the island. I can recall being on a ship refused because the Chief was in dispute with Royal.

This will ne a nice beach beach and I can not wait to snorkel or dive there  

With the itineraries both Ovation and Quantum have ,they could quite easily do a couple of surprise visits to Lelepa,that’s if they had wharf of some kind.

Vila is nice but I don’t think it’s a suitable place for all the overnights they have this season.

A short day on Lelepa and around the corner to Vila for the next day, it would be a good advertisement.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, twangster said:

One CocoCay in the world is enough.  It's a great thing they have done especially as a stop close to Florida.  Labadee doesn't need to be CoCoLabadee either, different is good. 

CocoCay as built doesn't suit the South Pacific and I don't think the intention was to create that. 

There would be a lot of backlash if they did something like that.

We like Americans down here but we like being our self .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have friends who are currently on Ovation in N.Z.

They just called ,they are docked in Auckland at the container terminal and apparently they where told,the container terminal can take a Oasis.
There’s a shuttle bus into the city but they said must better that tendering.

So one more Oasis port for down under.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Chili said:

I have friends who are currently on Ovation in N.Z.

They just called ,they are docked in Auckland at the container terminal and apparently they where told,the container terminal can take a Oasis.
There’s a shuttle bus into the city but they said must better that tendering.

So one more Oasis port for down under.

There are likely other NZ ports that are Oasis capable but can you make an itinerary out of them that is optimized for this class?

Then there is the right sizing the ship to the itinerary.   They have enough sales data to know what size of ship can be sold to achieve desired load levels without having to discount to fill the ship week consistently week after week. 

It's not just about can they operate that route with an Oasis class in the black.  When they stand back and compare how much they could make with that same ship in a different market if they can make more money somewhere else then that is where the ship will go.  

How many NZ cruises are 7 nights from Oz?   They might only be able to make that work by using a NZ home port but now we talking about a whole other business case. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another potentially related bit of news comes from China where Carnival has floated out their first Chinese built Vista class ship.  It's set to sail beginning in 2023 servicing the Maritime Silk Road, assuming cruising restarts in China in 2023.

Royal was seeing some success in China before the pandemic.  Once cruising restarts in China (and it will eventually) now they face some new locally made competition that will take away some of Royal's market share in China.

The glass half full view is that Royal may need to out-wow Adora Cruises and they can do that with Oasis class.

The glass half empty view is that with reduced market share there may not be the market to sustain a mega ship and Spectrum.   

Depending on the business impact Royal could decide that Spectrum is new enough and wow enough to take on the new competition from Adora by itself and that could impact the reasoning to put an Oasis class into the Pacific.  

Time will tell.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, twangster said:

There are likely other NZ ports that are Oasis capable but can you make an itinerary out of them that is optimized for this class?

Then there is the right sizing the ship to the itinerary.   They have enough sales data to know what size of ship can be sold to achieve desired load levels without having to discount to fill the ship week consistently week after week. 

It's not just about can they operate that route with an Oasis class in the black.  When they stand back and compare how much they could make with that same ship in a different market if they can make more money somewhere else then that is where the ship will go.  

How many NZ cruises are 7 nights from Oz?   They might only be able to make that work by using a NZ home port but now we talking about a whole other business case. 

Ovation had to hover in the middle of the river in Auckland and tender. A real pain.

There was talk years ago of using the container terminal but like Sydney it was privately owned  . I think by Patrick.

So it seems Royal Caribbean has negotiated a deal to use the container terminal in Auckland.

Hopefully with the legislation just past to upgrade Newcastle container movements . Royal might negotiate a deal to use Port Botany container terminal in Sydney.

Oassis would quite easily fit into there but check in would have to be off site ,That would be the problem.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...