Australia/NZ Cruising News

7 hours ago, EmersonNZ said:

That's rather scary to tell the truth..... I would hope that if the Australian authorities require testing before a cruise they tighten up on that a little.

If they drop that requirement... fine (at least you sail knowing that is the case which allows you to do your own risk assessment knowing that), but if you have it at least have a procedure in place that makes sure there is some validity in it (and yes, you can test negative today but still bring it on board... at least that is unknown though not potentially knowingly). 

Be interesting to see how it plays out.

I don’t think the cruise lines are setting the standards it’s N.S.W health .

Yep ,let’s see what happens but I think our governments here are just going to let it rip.   I suppose that was the plan to vaccinate everyone and live with it just like the seasonal flu.

8 hours ago, EmersonNZ said:

That's rather scary to tell the truth..... I would hope that if the Australian authorities require testing before a cruise they tighten up on that a little.

If they drop that requirement... fine (at least you sail knowing that is the case which allows you to do your own risk assessment knowing that), but if you have it at least have a procedure in place that makes sure there is some validity in it (and yes, you can test negative today but still bring it on board... at least that is unknown though not potentially knowingly). 

Be interesting to see how it plays out.

I'm on P&O soon, self administered RAT test is all that is required. As you can imagine some people will not be honest so be wary you may be travelling with covid positive passengers.

13 minutes ago, mattymay said:

I'm on P&O soon, self administered RAT test is all that is required. As you can imagine some people will not be honest so be wary you may be travelling with covid positive passengers.

Book your restaurants for every night as soon as you get onboard otherwise you will be hungry. The food is woeful.

On 7/29/2022 at 8:48 PM, twangster said:

Summoning @Pippa_OceanTime who works at the Brisbane terminal.  

There’s a thread going on CC’s ANZ forum about Brisbane cruise terminal.

There’s no hotels near the terminal and very little transport.

Some one said the cheapest transport was to get there is to walk to a public bus stop about 30-40 minutes walk.
Carnival group has a shuttle to the airport for $40 but it’s booked out.

Bring on Cairns as Queensland’s premier cruise port.

Radiance class year round,direct flights from Asia and the west coast U.S.A. 

15 minutes ago, mattymay said:

It's good if you fly into Brisbane the same day.

Both you and I would have to fly.

I would rather stay on the plane for a bit more and go to Cairns.

We flew to Cairns about a month ago. When the plane levelled off the pilot said we will be landing in a hour and a half.We had some lunch a couple off beers and we where there.
Lovely town,Heaps of transport,taxi was $18 .

Cairns can take a 300 meter ship at the moment and should be dredged for Quantum class in the near future.

15 hours ago, CruisingOz said:

Have you heard anything about a restriction on the size or capacity for ships visiting Lifou,Mare and isle of pines?

There was a unfounded rumour getting around and Quantum class don’t seem to be going there.

11 minutes ago, Chili said:

Lifou,Mare and isle of pines?

There was a unfounded rumour getting around and Quantum class don’t seem to be going there.

They maybe too large. The economy and infrastructure is way too small to handle the larger ships and struggle with Voyager class. Also they are all tender ports and I know in the Isle Of Pines, the Voyager & Explorer draft only just strapped in, and Lifou is not much deeper. 

These islands are just okay with the capacity of a Radiance class.    

6 hours ago, Chili said:

Have you heard anything about a restriction on the size or capacity for ships visiting Lifou,Mare and isle of pines?

The same reason we are a long way off Oasis or Icon class, nowhere for it to go. Even 2 Quantum's seems like too much. Every second ad on Facebook is for Quantum out of Brisbane, they are really pushing it hard.

I think the sweet spot was 1 Quantum class, 1 Voyager class, 1 Radiance class.

48 minutes ago, F1guynz said:

My sweet sport would be 1 Quantum class, 1 Freedom class and 1 Radiance class.

Disclaimer: I really enjoyed Independence of the Seas in Europe.

Adventure in Brisbane,  Quantam /wonder with ovation in Sydney.

I don’t think we will see a quantum class in Brisbane after this season,  it’s just not selling. 
Get ready for Royal to try to fill Quantum , we only have 3 months and the ship is only half full.

3 hours ago, Chili said:

Adventure in Brisbane,  Quantam /wonder with ovation in Sydney.

I don’t think we will see a quantum class in Brisbane after this season,  it’s just not selling. 
Get ready for Royal to try to fill Quantum , we only have 3 months and the ship is only half full.

We are booked on Quantum next April in the RLS. Can't wait for that cruise, hopefully the Islands will be fully open by then. My parents are on Quantum in November. On our next cruise we are sailing on Ovation cruising to NZ (ironic after being locked up here in NZ for so long), it will just be nice to be back on the water.

We are on Quantum for my sisters 50th, 18th Nov, and the ship is nearly full. 

We will see a Royal ship home port out of Brisbane 12 months of the year. I have some insider knowledge that the logistics are being worked on and plans finalised. The port is not Sydney but it is only a short cab ride from the city and city centre, and unlike the Sydney OPT, it has far better infrastructure. Also, as it is closer to the South Pacific islands, it can do 8n Sth Pacific and 6 night Queensland itineraries. As for which ship, lets see.

19 minutes ago, CruisingOz said:

We are on Quantum for my sisters 50th, 18th Nov, and the ship is nearly full. 

We will see a Royal ship home port out of Brisbane 12 months of the year. I have some insider knowledge that the logistics are being worked on and plans finalised. The port is not Sydney but it is only a short cab ride from the city and city centre, and unlike the Sydney OPT, it has far better infrastructure. Also, as it is closer to the South Pacific islands, it can do 8n Sth Pacific and 6 night Queensland itineraries. As for which ship, lets see.

Inside information?

What kind of ship ? It would have to have something for the kids .
I presume from next season 

14 minutes ago, Chili said:

It would have to have something for the kids

If you look at the P&O and Carnival offerings for kids sailing from Brisbane, they are not really that great, so the Voyager with slides and a great kids club would be awesome. If it was a Quantum, then game changer, wins hands down. I think I recall in one of the Royal earnings calls that the larger ships like Quantum class are profitable at around 60% capacity. If that is the case then the out of school holiday travellers would certainly prefer the Royal option. 

If @Twangstar reads this, I am sure he/her will know more specific facts on the profitability.  

Yeah, the local shoreside company is working on the 2023/24 season start up however I think it will be 2024/25. I wish I was a fly on a wall in the Royal logistics office. 

22 minutes ago, CruisingOz said:

If you look at the P&O and Carnival offerings for kids sailing from Brisbane, they are not really that great, so the Voyager with slides and a great kids club would be awesome. If it was a Quantum, then game changer, wins hands down. I think I recall in one of the Royal earnings calls that the larger ships like Quantum class are profitable at around 60% capacity. If that is the case then the out of school holiday travellers would certainly prefer the Royal option. 

If @Twangstar reads this, I am sure he/her will know more specific facts on the profitability.  

Yeah, the local shoreside company is working on the 2023/24 season start up however I think it will be 2024/25. I wish I was a fly on a wall in the Royal logistics office. 

I think a voyager class and the only one that hasn’t been to the pacific is Adventure I believe.

A smaller ship possibly but they are valuable to get into smaller ports .

Voyager are sort of to big but then to old .

The writing on the wall for year round Royal cruises have an eye on Brisbane, not Sydney.  Quantum class makes sense for when some of those when, even from Brisbane, are on the chilly side in the Australian winter out at sea.  

Radiance class isn't a lead ship for a new emerging home port on a year round basis.  Quantum class would be.  Voyager class may be the right size in year one of year round cruising but they are warm weather ships best for summer cruises.  

Given how Navigator isn't selling well in LA the right size ship would have been Radiance class but isn't the way to make a big splash in an emerging market so they didn't put an old ship into LA for their return to the west coast.  I think they'll follow the same logic with Brisbane. 

The first year of the restart down under isn't the proper measure of success.  She'll get a pass for the restart.  

I’m on the Nov 9th sailing of Quantum out of Brisbane and going by RCI website not many rooms left.  

This season 2022/23 is restart season, so we’ll see. Quantum is coming back to Brisbane for 2023/24 that’s probably a better reflection of the demand. My thoughts are that we won’t see a Voyager or Freedom Class in Australia now. I’d say status quo for now Quantum/Ovation/(Radiance Class) and an Oasis Class for 2024/25 at the earliest coinciding with Perfect Day at Lelepa. 

Building the pier at CocoCay was a two and a bit year long process and that was from the moment the dredge first started pulling up sand.  That was in a region with an abundance of nearby construction workers, barges and other machinery designed for the exact task.  I suspect Perfect Day Lelepa may be further off beyond 24/25 unless they have started dredging already.  Without a pier the best they could do would be tendering up through Quantum class.  

My radar has Lelepa further down the timeline.  The way the South Pacific completely closed up shop ship may have been a warning shot that has left cold feet at the cruise line.  They may want to see the South Pacific generating positive revenue for a few years before contracting the dredge to start digging up sand and that may mean postponing an Oasis down under.   Or, it may mean launching Lelepa as a tender port while a pier is built (like CocoCay) or it may mean pushing it off in the future more than they are willing to admit right now.   

No Oasis class ever visited CocoCay until after the pier completed.  Once we see hard hats working on the Lelepa pier we'll know the multi year clock on its opening has commenced.  24/25 doesn't seem realistic. 

Year round cruising without a Lelepa would be a test of the market to see if there is demand that could pay off a Lelepa investment in the time frame they are looking for.  If Quantum sales are cool as has been suggested that won't bode well for the payback calculations for Lelepa.

If they can't fill Quantum class from Brisbane that is a raising a red flag that could impact both Lelepa and Oasis down under.  Slow sales is a sign the market isn't ready to embrace their lofty goals just yet.  Prior to the shutdown they had cash overflowing from the corporate pockets so they were more liberal with their growth plans.  Now with the corporate pockets drained and their bank accounts in the red they won't be nearly as aggressive with growth plans down under.  Throw in a cool market response to Quantum in Brisbane and all that cold water won't just mean cold feet but significant shrinkage further up the body.  

Once the first year of the restart is in the books they'll know more about the ability of the market to support potential growth plans.  In their weakened state they will proceed very carefully.  Quantum sales had better trend upward soon if cruisers down under desire Oasis class and Lelepa.  Without evidence of demand one or the other, or both will be delayed.

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Building the pier at CocoCay was a two and a bit year long process and that was from the moment the dredge first started pulling up sand.  That was in a region with an abundance of nearby construction workers, barges and other machinery designed for the exact task.  I suspect Perfect Day Lelepa may be further off beyond 24/25 unless they have started dredging already.  Without a pier the best they could do would be tendering up through Quantum class.  

My radar has Lelepa further down the timeline.  The way the South Pacific completely closed up shop ship may have been a warning shot that has left cold feet at the cruise line.  They may want to see the South Pacific generating positive revenue for a few years before contracting the dredge to start digging up sand and that may mean postponing an Oasis down under.   Or, it may mean launching Lelepa as a tender port while a pier is built (like CocoCay) or it may mean pushing it off in the future more than they are willing to admit right now.   

No Oasis class ever visited CocoCay until after the pier completed.  Once we see hard hats working on the Lelepa pier we'll know the multi year clock on its opening has commenced.  24/25 doesn't seem realistic. 

Year round cruising without a Lelepa would be a test of the market to see if there is demand that could pay off a Lelepa investment in the time frame they are looking for.  If Quantum sales are cool as has been suggested that won't bode well for the payback calculations for Lelepa.

If they can't fill Quantum class from Brisbane that is a raising a red flag that could impact both Lelepa and Oasis down under.  Slow sales is a sign the market isn't ready to embrace their lofty goals just yet.  Prior to the shutdown they had cash overflowing from the corporate pockets so they were more liberal with their growth plans.  Now with the corporate pockets drained and their bank accounts in the red they won't be nearly as aggressive with growth plans down under.  Throw in a cool market response to Quantum in Brisbane and all that cold water won't just mean cold feet but significant shrinkage further up the body.  

Once the first year of the restart is in the books they'll know more about the ability of the market to support potential growth plans.  In their weakened state they will proceed very carefully.  Quantum sales had better trend upward soon if cruisers down under desire Oasis class and Lelepa.  Without evidence of demand one or the other, or both will be delayed.

I’ve been trawling the Internet on Lelepa over the last year and it seems to have stalled.

Ive even looked for local contractors and tenders but the only thing that has happened or is going to happen is a solar power grid and a new well with some pipes. They where done by foreign aid for the village at the other end of the island.

So you are right it’s going to be a while before there’s a cruise ship docking at Lelepa.

On 8/12/2022 at 12:04 PM, CruisingOz said:

If as you say,shore side services are working on a year round in Brisbane.

With the unrest in Mexico,do you think it might be Navigator?

The engine problems with Quantum,they may just switch-a-roo ?