Australia/NZ Cruising News

A quote from an old article from 2016

“Ovation of the Seas will be the fifth ship in the Royal Caribbean Australian fleet for winter 2016-17, joining four other Royal Caribbean ships – Voyager of the Seas, Explorer of the Seas and Radiance of the Seas in Sydney and Legend of the Seas in Brisbane”

The good old days with plenty of choice.

9 minutes ago, F1guynz said:

A quote from an old article from 2016

“Ovation of the Seas will be the fifth ship in the Royal Caribbean Australian fleet for winter 2016-17, joining four other Royal Caribbean ships – Voyager of the Seas, Explorer of the Seas and Radiance of the Seas in Sydney and Legend of the Seas in Brisbane”

The good old days with plenty of choice.

Seems Royal is only intertested in putting more and more ships on short breaks in the Caribbean, those of us in other regions get what's left over.

On 11/1/2023 at 10:59 AM, Jamesszy94 said:

So that only leaves us with Ovation in Sydney and Quantum in Brisbane then? 😞

There goes our hopes of getting an Oasis class..

Well after Ovation this year and Brilliance next Jan it might be  our last Royal cruise...We tend to like the radiance class so will be looking further afield to cruise on smaller ships

sad.jpg

I would argue that a freedom class ship is better for families than Quantum. The main advantage Quantum has over Freedom class is Quantum's are more suited to colder weather and I think that is the primary reason we don't get one deployed here. Usually, the ships we get here complete Alaska seasons too, and that is probably another limiting factor for getting an Oasis class, as well as the lack on tendering ability for the South Pacific. 

Off the top of my head Independence had mini golf, water slides, flow rider, ice skating as free activities.

Apart from the flow rider and bumper cars most things cost on Quantum class on sea days and apart from restaurants doesn't have the variety that a Freedom class has.

To me the Freedom class is the perfect size and combination of activities.

5 hours ago, Big Tule said:

Well after Ovation this year and Brilliance next Jan it might be  our last Royal cruise...We tend to like the radiance class so will be looking further afield to cruise on smaller ships

sad.jpg

I'm seriously considering sailing on Brilliance next year, seeing as how we've got no word on whether her season down here is a one and done, I don't mind if Ovation goes back to the US, I sailed on her this year and back in 2017, so I've been on her before.

At this point, I'll take any ship that isn't Ovation or Quantum (not that they aren't great ships, they are), but It would be nice to just change it up a bit... give us a Voyager back, or even give us  a Freedom class ship. I think RCCL has underestimated the cruising industry in Australia...

2 hours ago, Jamesszy94 said:

I'm seriously considering sailing on Brilliance next year, seeing as how we've got no word on whether her season down here is a one and done, I don't mind if Ovation goes back to the US, I sailed on her this year and back in 2017, so I've been on her before.

At this point, I'll take any ship that isn't Ovation or Quantum (not that they aren't great ships, they are), but It would be nice to just change it up a bit... give us a Voyager back, or even give us  a Freedom class ship. I think RCCL has underestimated the cruising industry in Australia...

I would be getting in a cruise on Brilliance,it won’t be coming back.

I would like to share a email but I’ve been told not too.

41 minutes ago, Chili said:

I have 3 on Brilliance this season,I’m all quantumed out.  First one is Wednesday to kangaroo island.

Fair enough. Have fun on your Kangaroo Island cruise. My dad is the kind of person that doesn't care where we go and on which ship, I mean Ovation vs Brilliance... a no-brainer right?

which cruise.png

By the way, it looks like Ovation will be in Australia until at least April of 2025 (since that's when our "Summer" cruise season ends.

image.thumb.png.19495ee34e17eebe545299b0a01754c7.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2023 at 10:14 AM, F1guynz said:

I see Independence has been confirmed for 2025 from Southampton.

Independence of the Seas to homeport in UK in 2025 | Travel Weekly

Yep, we just booked a June 2025 8 night on Independance out of Southhampton.

I really really with we'd get a Freedom down this way or even get a Voyager class back this way. I am so so over Quantum and Ovation.... I'm pretty close to trying Celebrity or Virgin just for a change of ship.

On 11/15/2023 at 1:45 PM, ScottishRobbie said:

Great news for those of us wanting variety down under - the Brisbane ports schedule shows Voyager home porting there from 13/12/25 through 6/4/26.

Even more interestingly is that no other ship is listed. It's well known that Quantum hasn't sold well. So maybe just Anthem in Sydney and Voyager in Brisbane for that season?

2 hours ago, mattymay said:

Even more interestingly is that no other ship is listed. It's well known that Quantum hasn't sold well. So maybe just Anthem in Sydney and Voyager in Brisbane for that season?

The Brisbane ports website was definitely showing Quantum but as you say she's disappeared. Interesting that Sydney ports still showing Ovation, hoping we get Anthem for a change but would still be happy with Ovation

19 minutes ago, ScottishRobbie said:

The Brisbane ports website was definitely showing Quantum but as you say she's disappeared. Interesting that Sydney ports still showing Ovation, hoping we get Anthem for a change but would still be happy with Ovation

Voyager showing on Darwin schedule as well apparently, so looking even more likely. 

I guess it could be Anthem or Quantum in Sydney now if Brisbane is no longer getting Quantum.

Voyager is in Europe until at least November 25 as they have recently released those cruises. Seems like an odd choice to reposition from Rome to Australia at the end of 2025 as that would make for a short season when they normally start in October/November.

Danny from Harr travel speculated that Anthem may go to LA after Alaska and we may get Ovation year round.

I guess we will have to wait a few more months before anything concrete comes out.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/6/2023 at 5:17 PM, Chili said:

Royal Caribbean has disconnected there number in Sydney. That was 02 99375400 . There used to be switch board in north Sydney but all I can find is one mobile number.

It seems to me they maybe down sizing in Australia. There’s a lot of competition.

Personally, I think there's a lot of competition cause the other cruise lines change up their ships every few years!!! We've had Ovation for 7 years (in 2024)!!! And also all the destinations that Royal offers for Aussies are all the same now (it's literally either New Zealand, South Pacific or Queensland, there's no variety in the ports, it's not really surprising that Quantum hasn't sold well like mattymay said above.

But also...it's kind of hard for Aussies to go on Royal cruises if a single cruise season lasts only 6-7 months (Oct - April)

On 11/16/2023 at 10:52 PM, F1guynz said:

Voyager is in Europe until at least November 25 as they have recently released those cruises. Seems like an odd choice to reposition from Rome to Australia at the end of 2025 as that would make for a short season when they normally start in October/November.

Danny from Harr travel speculated that Anthem may go to LA after Alaska and we may get Ovation year round.

I guess we will have to wait a few more months before anything concrete comes out.

They could also just decide to change the ship last minute - we were supposed to get Enchantment here in Sydney, but they changed it and we got Brilliance instead.

On 12/6/2023 at 5:17 PM, Chili said:

down sizing in Australia

If I had an issue, calling that number got me nowhere. Australian office is predominantly offshore and considering our growing market, you would think they would have a functioning office. I call the US customer service and get issues sorted. Sick of waiting for replies to my emails which never get answered or replied to. I have noticed through a cruise job site, there had been a few roles recently advertised for Sydney.  Combination of Celebrity amd Royal. 

8 hours ago, Jamesszy94 said:

Change up the itineraries so it's not always South Pacific, Queensland or New Zealand

I don’t think there is much chance of that happening. It would be good if they added Fiji to the South Pacific itineraries as we haven’t been there.

currently the itineraries are very limited given the number of ports that did not reopen post Covid and still show no signs of opening.