POLL: Will you sail on a cruise before there is a COVID-19 vaccine?

Matt

Will you sail on a cruise before there is a COVID-19 vaccine?  

306 members have voted

1. 1. Will you sail on a cruise before there is a COVID-19 vaccine?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

On 5/14/2020 at 2:17 PM, monctonguy said:

Just need the border to open up and I am there...that's the real issue here in Canada!!..we are banned from even driving to a neighboring province so not sure when i'll be able to get away again.

Do you think the ports will open on July 1 like they originally stated? We're supposed to do a Gulf of Alaska from Seward at the beginning of September. I'm optimistically hopeful. 

Frankly I'm not worried about Covid-19, but what does worry me is the onboard experience. I won't go on a cruise if a face mask is required onboard, that doesn't sound like vacation. I also worry some fun activities will go away or be changed for the worse. There could be some changes that make cruises more enjoyable too. We shall see.

Definitely though I will not cruise if face masks are required, and I love cruises and RCL.

@mark.s COVID-19 does not have a 99% cure rate, it seems to maybe have a 95-98% survival rate. Cure implies you won't ever get it again, that's a reason why they rate cancer by survival rates. I also want to note that while this virus seems mild, there are plenty of "survivors" who now suffer from plenty of side affects. I personally will not be taking the vaccine either...only because I would need time to feel comfortable...and for them to work out the kinks.

On 5/15/2020 at 8:33 AM, Gears said:

From the news items out there, it seems that there might not ever be a vaccine (search 'can you get COVID-19 a second time'). I read two articles last weekend that outlined some medical community fears that this might end up having the same treatable characteristics as the common cold...and/or we're just zig-zagging our way to eventual herd immunity.

Either way...cruise on.

This is the kind of thing that may end up causing us a problem...

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/16/politics/uss-theodore-roosevelt-sailors-coronavirus/index.html

Speaking as a healthcare professional, I will say that I think that cruising is safe if you do not have a pre-existing condition.  Most people that become acutely sick from COVID have some condition such as age, diabetes, hypertension, cardiac conditions, cancer, immunosuppression, COPD, that put them at a higher risk.  Most people with out any risk factors, may only develop a headache or loss of smell or very low grade fever and not even know that they are sick with COVID.  So, I believe as long as people are aware of their health conditions, it is up to each individual to decide if it is safe for them to go on a cruise.  We have re-booked for September.

1 hour ago, mook1525 said:

”Would you cruise if wearing mask is required in public area including pool deck?”

Because that is likely to happen in my opinion 

I dont see that happening.  I don't believe it is practical, possible or enforceable. I foresee some additional waiver of liability. Etc instead.

There is a cruise leaving Baltimore Dec 10th unfortunately none of the family would be able to go and I would have to go solo, given the price point that they are offering it is making it hard for me to resist.  I honestly would isolate myself and wash my hands more regularly and be very conscious of what I touch but I would gladly sail before there is a vaccine.  I am not downplaying the seriousness of the illness but I have seen patients that have some serious comorbidities such as being diabetic, having hypertension and weighing over 500 pounds and the only symptom that they had of being COVID positive was that they lost their sense of smell for two weeks.  To the opposite end of the spectrum where people are being intubated, and placed on the vent.  I understand the choice I am making and feel that if I am able to use the same common sense that I use when I go out anyway that I should be fine, wear a mask in certain places, washy-washy, sanitize like its going out of style and just relax and enjoy the cruise! 

51 minutes ago, bhageerah said:

There is a cruise leaving Baltimore Dec 10th unfortunately none of the family would be able to go and I would have to go solo, given the price point that they are offering it is making it hard for me to resist.  I honestly would isolate myself and wash my hands more regularly and be very conscious of what I touch but I would gladly sail before there is a vaccine.  I am not downplaying the seriousness of the illness but I have seen patients that have some serious comorbidities such as being diabetic, having hypertension and weighing over 500 pounds and the only symptom that they had of being COVID positive was that they lost their sense of smell for two weeks.  To the opposite end of the spectrum where people are being intubated, and placed on the vent.  I understand the choice I am making and feel that if I am able to use the same common sense that I use when I go out anyway that I should be fine, wear a mask in certain places, washy-washy, sanitize like its going out of style and just relax and enjoy the cruise! 

Exactly this. I'm going on the cruise that follows that one. Hopefully by that point, I'll have 2 other cruises under my belt and will be an old hand at whatever they're asking of us...but I'm definitely not cancelling.

On 5/16/2020 at 11:18 PM, Ampurp85 said:

@mark.s COVID-19 does not have a 99% cure rate, it seems to maybe have a 95-98% survival rate. Cure implies you won't ever get it again, that's a reason why they rate cancer by survival rates. I also want to note that while this virus seems mild, there are plenty of "survivors" who now suffer from plenty of side affects. I personally will not be taking the vaccine either...only because I would need time to feel comfortable...and for them to work out the kinks.

My problem is that we do not have good numbers for a survival rate as there was not widespread testing early enough.  Also, what is classified as a COVID-19 death is questionable at times.  What frustrates me is that I cannot make good decisions when all I have is junky, inconsistent information....

28 minutes ago, jaredhamburg said:

My problem is that we do not have good numbers for a survival rate as there was not widespread testing early enough.  Also, what is classified as a COVID-19 death is questionable at times.  What frustrates me is that I cannot make good decisions when all I have is junky, inconsistent information....

In 1954, Darrell Huff wrote "How to lie with Statistics", it remains readily available and I found it highly entertaining. It must be required reading for those in the media today. While we are being constantly fed dire predictions and frightening graphs, there are other recent studies that show the infection rate to be as much as 85 times higher than reported. This would mean that the survival rate would be approaching 99.9%. Of course, virtually no reporting exists for these studies ?

15 hours ago, RCIfan1912 said:

So that's a good thing or bad? I mean I could see that both ways. I'd rather have the antibodies and mostly likely not be able to get it again. That is an easy test right? Just prick your finger?

It was a blood draw, yes I can see your point good or bad.  I really thought I was asymptomatic.  

Even though I missed the deadline (already read the blog post ☺️) I'll add another vote for unsure. It's not that I wouldn't go, but as others expressed, what's the on-board experience going to be like ... and wearing a mask is a 99% deal breaker for me, at least for my September sailing. 

@jaredhamburg This is exactly why I am an advocate for time....we really don't know enough to say either way. We don't know if the antibodies will do any good, how many strains there are, etc. I just want to cruise when I can enjoy it, not in a mask and definetly not with the intense threat of an unknown virus and further quarantine restrictions.

46 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

@jaredhamburg This is exactly why I am an advocate for time....we really don't know enough to say either way. We don't know if the antibodies will do any good, how many strains there are, etc. I just want to cruise when I can enjoy it, not in a mask and definetly not with the intense threat of an unknown virus and further quarantine restrictions.

I feel the same - how many times is the flu vaccine wrong- almost every single year!  It is still too early to know either way.  I guess we are all on the fence and don't know which side is safe to fall over on ?

• Matt unpinned this topic