monctonguy

Eat....Drink.....Discover..... Being discontinued

I  JUST GOT THERE EMAIL ARE THEY KIDDING I HAVE SEVEN CRUISE COMING UP WITH GRAND CHILDREN TEENS IN THERE OWN ROOM ON THE BOARDWALK PURCHASED FOR THAT PERK ITS ABOUT $200 PERK AND THEY ARE NOW GOING TO GIVE ME $50. AS A DIAMOND PLUS CUSTOMER THIS IS THE FIRST TIME THEY HAVE DISAPPOINTED. THEY SHOULD AT LEAST GRANDFATHER IN THOSE  WHO HAVE PURCHASED. IF FEELS ILLEGAL.    

12 hours ago, Matt said:

The more I thought about it today, the more I can see the point of those that booked 2020 sailings and getting just $50 in lieu of the perks. Yes, $50 is better than nothing, but it would have been a better transition away from this if they just said "okay, everyone that booked as of today gets it and that's it."

My initial response last night was 🤷‍♀️ but now I’ve slept on it, I’m annoyed.

ok I didn’t book because of the perks, but as I see it, they were included as part of the room details. And $50 isn’t near to the true value of them. 

As I’m in the EU, I’ve been trying to see if there’s something in that they needed to replace that part with equivalent or higher value but it’s tricky to navigate all the rules. (Plus I have a life....)

SOLUTION: If your original booking included said package prior to the change, RCCL must honor it since it is a contract. If RCCL does not honor it, the contract has been breached and at that point you can cancel your non-refundable booking and not be penalized. If they tell you different, they are bluffing.

Such as the case at bar, I have an OotS booking and threatened to cancel. The CSR stated I would lose my deposit. I informed her to show me where RCCL had sole discretion to change any part of the contract/booking except the itinerary. She could not. I told her to either honor it OR cancel it. She referred my issue to a Supervisor and after 20 mins back and forth with the Supervisor, she had to call me back after she speaks with her legal dept. I gave her my law firm name and office number and with the mention of legal class action for breach of contract, I received a callback and got my original booking honored with a complimentary bottle of wine for the "misunderstanding".

I don't think anyone should be subjected to this type of treatment. As a Diamond Plus or any level member, RCCL should not pull a fast one such as this and give their loyal passengers what they paid for.

Would RCCL like to be substituted for another cruise line? I don't think so!

25 minutes ago, princevaliantus said:

SOLUTION: If your original booking included said package prior to the change, RCCL must honor it since it is a contract. If RCCL does not honor it, the contract has been breached and at that point you can cancel your non-refundable booking and not be penalized. If they tell you different, they are bluffing.

Such as the case at bar, I have an OotS booking and threatened to cancel. The CSR stated I woukd lose my deposit. I informed her to show me where RCCL had sole discretion to change any part of the contract/booking except the itinerary. She could not. I told her to either honor it OR cancel it. She referred my issue to a Supervisor and after 20 mins back and forth with the Supervisor, she had to call me back after she speaks with her legal dept. I gave her my law firm name and office number and with the mention of legal class action for breach of contract, I received a callback and got my original booking honored with a complimentary bottle of wine for the misunderstanding.

I don't think anyone should be subjected to this type of treatment. As a Diamind Plus or any level member, RCCL should not pull a fast one such as this and give thier loyal passangers what they paid for.

Well done, there is no way this is legal.  Now to work on the rest of the false advertising.

1 hour ago, princevaliantus said:

Such as the case at bar, I have an OotS booking and threatened to cancel. The CSR stated I woukd lose my deposit. I informed her to show me where RCCL had sole discretion to change any part of the contract/booking except the itinerary. She could not. I told her to either honor it OR cancel it. She referred my issue to a Supervisor and after 20 mins back and forth with the Supervisor, she had to call me back after she speaks with her legal dept. I gave her my law firm name and office number and with the mention of legal class action for breach of contract, I received a callback and got my original booking honored with a complimentary bottle of wine for the misunderstanding.

I don't think anyone should be subjected to this type of treatment. As a Diamind Plus or any level member, RCCL should not pull a fast one such as this and give thier loyal passangers what they paid for.

Lucky you that you have a law firm to back you up. I do not have any lawyer so not sure I can do anything. I would join if someone will do a legal class action. It isn't much I lost but isn't right RCI does this. It is so wrong in every way.

I think I might stop cruising for awhile after this. I might just book land vacation instead. It takes more time and energy to prep but at least I don't need to deal with a greedy company.

3 minutes ago, Susie said:

Lucky you that you have a law firm to back you up. I do not have any lawyer so not sure I can do anything. I would join if someone will do a legal class action. It isn't much I lost but isn't right RCI does this. It is so wrong in every way.

I think I might stop cruising for awhile after this. I might just book land vacation instead. It takes more time and energy to prep but at least I don't need to deal with a greedy company.

Don't let this incident deter you from cruising. They're other cruise lines you can explore if you don't want to continue with RCCL.

I would price out what an interior room would cost now vs staying in the booked neighbourhood balcony and switch if the savings are there. 

Also, how are the prices for the neighbourhood balcony rooms Jan 2020 onwards?  I always figured the cost for those perks were built into the price.  So in theory, the prices should be dropping.

2 minutes ago, Rose City Cruiser said:

I would price out what an interior room would cost now vs staying in the booked neighbourhood balcony and switch if the savings are there. 

Also, how are the prices for the neighbourhood balcony rooms Jan 2020 onwards?  I always figured the cost for those perks were built into the price.  So in theory, the prices should be dropping.

I agree ONLY in theory but as we all know RCCL is in it for profits as any other business and as we have seen, the prices have not dropped even when they had taken away this perk.

13 minutes ago, Rose City Cruiser said:

Price is why I went CP balcony for my upcoming sailing.  It was cheaper than an inside or ocean view room with the balcony discount.  I would rather have the $50 OBC than the wine I won't drink and the free lunch as I already have the Ultimate Dining Package.

Without the perks these balconies are likely going to remain cheap alternatives to insides as they don't have the incentives to help sell them any longer.

I've never been a fan of perks-based promos.  I prefer a la carte options.

Instead of:   Boardwalk/Central Park View Room + 2 drink packages + 4 meals at Johnny Rockets - $XXX

I prefer:

Boardwalk/Central Park View Room $YYY

2 drink packages - $ZZZ

Johnny Rockets meal - $WWW

They can offer bundles if they want.  But perks?  That gives the illusion that they're giving you something for free when you're actually paying for it!

53 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

Price is why I went CP balcony for my upcoming sailing.  It was cheaper than an inside or ocean view room with the balcony discount.  I would rather have the $50 OBC than the wine I won't drink and the free lunch as I already have the Ultimate Dining Package.

Without the perks these balconies are likely going to remain cheap alternatives to insides as they don't have the incentives to help sell them any longer.

Yes, we get the discount for balcony because we are diamond members. However, at that time of booking RCI advertise that this perks included with this type of balcony that why we choose this Boardwalk Balcony. If we were known that they will take away the perks then I will choose the ocean view Balcony. Yes, I have to pay more but it is not much more at that time I booked. Right now, if I want to change the room I will have to pay way more because the price right now is way more that when I booked it. I cannot cancel because RCI will take my non refundable deposit. Deadlock.

35 minutes ago, Susie said:

Yes, we get the discount for balcony because we are diamond members. However, at that time of booking RCI advertise that this perks included with this type of balcony that why we choose this Boardwalk Balcony. If we were known that they will take away the perks then I will choose the ocean view Balcony. Yes, I have to pay more but it is not much more at that time I booked. Right now, if I want to change the room I will have to pay way more because the price right now is way more that when I booked it. I cannot cancel because RCI will take my non refundable deposit. Deadlock.

Another way around this is to call your credit card company and see what avenue's they have.  Usually, if it's not  something you "originally" purchased, the credit card company will call the vendor  and dispute the charge since the "original" purchase was altered. I know Chase does this very well.

13 minutes ago, princevaliantus said:

Another way around this is to call your credit card company and see what avenue's they have.  Usually, if it's not  something you "originally" purchased, the credit card company will call the vendor  and dispute the charge since the "original" purchase was altered. I know Chase does this very well.

This is a very good point, the Credit Card company really hates when companies "steal" from their customers.  RCL will have to prove that those perks were not part of your cruise stateroom you chose which will never happen.  Likely they will not respond at all to the Credit Card inquiry which means the card company will refund you and hold funds from RCL.

I might have missed this along the way, but what was the reasoning for offering the perks in the first place? I'm assuming it was to entice people to book those cabins, but aren't those fairly desirable cabins to begin with? Sure seems to beat any inside cabin.

I totally agree with you @monctonguy. RC has the right to change whatever and whenever, but they should honor those commitments. Those cabins were purchased in good faith and should be honored as such.

Just now, princevaliantus said:

Actually, it is not legal. You cannot alter a "contract" without the express written consent of all parties.

In the world we live in now a days, I'm sure somebody is considering a class action lawsuit. Not that this doesn't have merit. Just saying.

1 minute ago, princevaliantus said:

Actually, it is not legal. You cannot alter a "contract" without the express written consent of all parties.

How RCI think they can get away with this? I really hope some lawyer out there class action lawsuit RCI.