Irieman

30 More Allure Itineraries Changed

On 8/1/2019 at 10:08 AM, marti314 said:

Can definitely leave a sour note for a lot of people, especially since they have known about this issue for going on 6 months now.

I know "stuff" happens but it was being rerouted twice in 4 months to Nassua that made us bail to the smallest ship with a big heart.  If RC could have found a different subsitute port it would have kept us on AOS. 

It's all good and with Twangster's 14 day live blog on Empress, we are more than excited to be one with the sea!

Have not received any kind of notification for our Jan 2020 cruise on Allure however looking at the cruise planner our itinerary has changed. Its not as big a deal for me as for some people. I'll be in the Caribbean on an Oasis ship which is all that maters to me!!!

I am not sure exactly what the issue is with the Azipod. Reading here and there I have had seen reference to a propeller issue. In other places I have heard there is bearing issue.

This class of cruise ship uses 6 diesel engines that generate electricity using huge electrical generators. The generators in turn create power for everything. Even the Azipods are big electric motors with a 20 foot diameter propeller attached.

A damaged propeller or Azipod bearing would both require dry docking to replace. The propeller would be a lot easier. If the issue is a bearing in the Azipod, either the pod has to be removed and repaired or removed and replaced. None of these are small jobs and will take time even with good preparations.

The following video shows the assembly of an Azipod to give you some idea of the scale of the work involved.

Did a b2b on Allure in June.  Looking aft it was very obvious that while the center and portside pods were functioning normally, the starboard pod was limping along.  It most definitely affected our top speed.

I’m booked on the Allure for a 7 day in October and have neither received an email nor seen any change in my cruise planner. I guess the ports are close enough that speed is not an issue. I’m solo, retired and cruise frequently so this will just add a little excitement to my sailing. I feel sorry for those with families on vacation who have booked way in advance and have been eagerly anticipating their cruise...anxiety and nerves must be affected. Reservations, hotels, flights, etc. I hope the only inconvenience is the port schedule changes and that everything else goes perfectly for everyone.

51 minutes ago, Wendylee said:

When does the Allure go into Dry Dock? We have a cruise booked for a 12 day Atlantic crossing for March 1, 2020 from FLL and docks in Barcelona......hoping is will be completed by then.

Mar-May 2020