Baked Alaska

Unlimited Dining Package or Ultimate Dining Package

5 minutes ago, alamode123 said:

I'm guessing the ultimate dinging package wasn't selling well, so they upped their game.

The other possibility is that it has sold too well at times and there were not enough dining venues for all the guests who bought packages.  Adding Playmakers, JR, Bamboo, etc helps to spread guests out for those oversold situations.

If I bought the UDP and was told "no restaurants available tonight, so eat in the MDR or Windjammer" I would not be very happy.

6 minutes ago, twangster said:

The other possibility is that it has sold too well at times and there were not enough dining venues for all the guests who bought packages.  Adding Playmakers, JR, Bamboo, etc helps to spread guests out for those oversold situations.

I was just going by my experience last cruise. Most nights the specialty restaurants were half empty, some even moreso.

From my thinking at least, dinners will now be a specialty restaurant AND Playmakers, not Playmakers OR specialty restaurant.

Just now, alamode123 said:

I was just going by my experience last cruise. Most nights the specialty restaurants were half empty, some even moreso.

From my thinking at least, dinners will now be a specialty restaurant AND Playmakers, not Playmakers OR specialty restaurant.

I think that depends on the ship.  On Symphony they oversell the restaurants.  

A dozen wings or a burger at PM and there is no way I'm eating in a specialty restaurant as well.  Way too much food.

1 hour ago, twangster said:

A dozen wings or a burger at PM and there is no way I'm eating in a specialty restaurant as well.  Way too much food.

Amen...$35 at Playmakers goes a looooooong way.

If all the a la carte stuff really is included and you can visit multiple restaurants, the Ultimate gives me my favorite part of the Star Class experience.  I like being able to pick and choose single items rather than have a long fully involved meal.  And if I can sell them on giving it to me to go so I don't take up a seat in the restaurant, even better deal for me.

38 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

And if I can sell them on giving it to me to go so I don't take up a seat in the restaurant, even better deal for me.

It will be interesting to see if this occurs.  My guess is that they will NOT allow you to take food out.  Seating availability is one of the limiting factors of this program and an expressed condition for denying your ability to dine.  I'm guessing that they are COUNTING on people not being able to get reservations willy nilly and so that will limit their liability in having to feed everyone 14 times a day.  Just a guess.  Plus the fact that they do not now permit takeout, to my knowledge.

Anyone have confirmation about some of the questionable (a' la cart) places for the new 'Unlimited' package? Such as playmakers specifically? 

I love pub/bar food (sliders, wings, etc.)... and it seems that there are mixed reports scattered about, so would love to hear confirmation from anyone that has recently sailed since the new unlimited package has went into effect. We leave on Mariner of the seas in 15 days and trying to decide if we want to go with the UDP or not. 

Thanks

15 hours ago, vanelli56 said:

Anyone have confirmation about some of the questionable (a' la cart) places for the new 'Unlimited' package? Such as playmakers specifically? 

I love pub/bar food (sliders, wings, etc.)... and it seems that there are mixed reports scattered about, so would love to hear confirmation from anyone that has recently sailed since the new unlimited package has went into effect. We leave on Mariner of the seas in 15 days and trying to decide if we want to go with the UDP or not. 

Thanks

I think we're still waiting on a field report from someone who's purchased the Unlimited since it came out.

giphy.gif

For me I think is the win-win for both Royal and cruisers. How much you can eat and you know everyone got to eat food somewhere on the ship either include or extra paid. One more benefit for Royal is for who that not get the drink package they might order drink too. So Royal get paid for the food and some drink and cruisers happy.

Anyway, I still have concerns. How Royal will handle reservations and how the crews that work in the specialty restaurant will handle this. I am sure will be more people buy the Unlimited package now.

I just checked the cruise planner for our October trip & it's not there.  Although I did notice a couple weeks ago the old Unlimited Dining Package showed up, but I couldn't actually book it--just came up as no times available.  I don't know if they sold out or that was just something weird in the system, but doesn't look like I can get it on my sailing.  It's a short 3-dayer, so that might be a factor too.

does anyone want to report how difficult it was to get reservations on Symphony of the seas for specialty dining restaurants who have package and can only book on board.  Looking for those who have just sailed april 20th or later. Thanks

We took the plunge and bought the Unlimited Dining on the Allure on 11/3.   The husband is looking forward to a nice meal, then heading to Playmakers to use the $35 A la Carte credit, and drink extra beer with the drink package and watching Monday night football.  😂😂😂😂

8 minutes ago, newcruiser2018 said:

We took the plunge and bought the Unlimited Dining on the Allure on 11/3.   The husband is looking forward to a nice meal, then heading to Playmakers to use the $35 A la Carte credit, and drink extra beer with the drink package and watching Monday night football.  😂😂😂😂

I am so sorry to tell you this.. Allure Doesn't have a Playmakers. IN fact it has no where to get Bar type food.. Now after its dry dock in 2020 the rumor is it will get playmakers but sounds like you will be on before then.. 

46 minutes ago, newcruiser2018 said:

Currently the only ships with Playmakers is Symphony, Mariner, Navigator, and Independence ... Oasis is rumored to get it during its dry dock in October but its still only a rumor

28 minutes ago, newcruiser2018 said:

OH! He's about to be devastated, I'm not going to ruin it for him right now.

Yeah I'm sorry for the bad news. I wish Allure did have playmakers already. I have been there on Symphony and Mariner and its a really great spot.. I hope they end up rolling it out on all ships.

We also received the email today, but I'm curious. We booked the Izumi Hibachi and also have the Unlimited Dining package. When or how do we receive the 20% discount, as there was no discount offered on the cruise planner.

25 minutes ago, Baked Alaska said:

We also received the email today, but I'm curious. We booked the Izumi Hibachi and also have the Unlimited Dining package. When or how do we receive the 20% discount, as there was no discount offered on the cruise planner.

As it seems that this was an attempt to answer some of the more common questions about the program, it’s surprising that they did not clarify the rules for Hibachi.  It would have been easy to mention it by name as they did with Playmakers.  <shaking my head>

6 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

Not that this states anything surprising, but just got this email today.

unlimited.thumb.gif.0a347ea154c1a97958efc6c8d0a0b948.gif

I FIGURED IT OUT!!! RC is not offering 20% on dining experiences. They are offering 20% off on dinging experiences!

• Savings on exclusive dinging experiences: 20% off when booking Chef’s Table and any Culinary Experiences onboard.

14 hours ago, Baked Alaska said:

You get the 20% discount when you book onboard.  I would assume that the 20% is taken off the bill..so you're getting 20% off the onboard price..it may or may not have been cheaper in the cruise planner.  However, I was under the assumption that the hibachi was covered and reports back on CC are confirming that it is..so you wouldn't have to pay at all.