Jump to content
twangster

Freedom OTS 11/11/17 8 Nights, Modified Western Caribbean

Recommended Posts

Here is the three level main dining room:

omA8xA6.jpg

0B58tIr.jpg

And some outdoor photos now that we are at sea and it was a great sunny day.

Ice cream anyone?

nZIUEs5.jpg

 

YTeygrk.jpg

8fDA2m3.jpg

sjlx2lg.jpg

G8YxFI7.jpg

WgRXgRl.jpg

Zr5bIn6.jpg

The adult only solarium pool is outdoor.  It has underwater seats by that bridge so you can sit with your drink and enjoy the water.

TWjeayN.jpg

The really like the open access to the helipad on the bow.  I was scouting this for a sunset shot later tonight.

iVwAYvl.jpg

Deck 4 outdoors.  You can walk around the whole ship but there are stairs to get up to deck 5 and helipad access.  Mostly covered except for the helipad access area and bump out around the MDR.

pGvkoG7.jpg

The bump out around the MDR and great spot to watch pilot boats.

PMHqs5Q.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dinner tonight was Johnny Rockets.  I had the smoke house burger with fries and onion rings.  $6.95 charge (plus 18% service charge).

I had planned to eat in the MDR but I was out taking sunset pictures and I was right there so thought I'd try Johnny Rockets.  The smoke house burger was pretty good as were the rings but the fries are the same as in Windjammer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Sweety said:

So excited. I just brought a wide fisheye lens. Come on January cruise.

My fisheye is a 12mm and it takes some experimenting how and when to use it.  For example in the center the fisheye distortion is minimal while in the corners its more extreme.  Keeping the camera level pointing straight out while shooting at the ocean yields a level ocean while tilting up or down creates a bending ocean.  Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't.  I found a Photoshop filter called "Hemi Fisheye" that can 'de-fish' a photo which I've used in some shots.  I'm tempted to go for a full circular fisheye but for now I'm learning with my 12mm.

My 14mm is non-fisheye.  I wasn't going to bring it but glad I did.  I've gone back to it a couple times.  

I'm really digging these UWA lens.  You can get so much in the shot.

Humidity was pretty high in Cozumel and once again I've got condensation drops on my sensor.  I didn't bring my sensor cleaning kit so I'm having to manually cleanup my shots.  Kicking myself for being in a hurry.  Next time I'll bring my sensor cleaning kit with me.  This has happened on other cruises and I should have known better.  My fault.

 

1 hour ago, JLMoran said:

@twangster, do you use a circular polarizing lens or a neutral density filter when taking your outdoor shots, or just bare lens? Your skies and the ocean are so sharp and clear, no reflections or glare or anything!

The 16-35mm I purchased allows filters and one of those I carry is a CPL.  I used that in Cozumel to eliminate the reflection off the water and get the colors to pop.  16mm with 77mm filters is the widest lens I've seen that accepts conventional filters which is exactly why I acquired it.  I plan to use it in Northstar on Anthem - so many pictures I've seen have the reflection of the glass in them and I'm hoping to avoid that with my CPL (or at least minimize it).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, twangster said:

My fisheye is a 12mm and it takes some experimenting how and when to use it.  For example in the center the fisheye distortion is minimal while in the corners its more extreme.  Keeping the camera level pointing straight out while shooting at the ocean yields a level ocean while tilting up or down creates a bending ocean.  Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't.  I found a Photoshop filter called "Hemi Fisheye" that can 'de-fish' a photo which I've used in some shots.  I'm tempted to go for a full circular fisheye but for now I'm learning with my 12mm.

My 14mm is non-fisheye.  I wasn't going to bring it but glad I did.  I've gone back to it a couple times.  

I'm really digging these UWA lens.  You can get so much in the shot.

Humidity was pretty high in Cozumel and once again I've got condensation drops on my sensor.  I didn't bring my sensor cleaning kit so I'm having to manually cleanup my shots.  Kicking myself for being in a hurry.  Next time I'll bring my sensor cleaning kit with me.  This has happened on other cruises and I should have known better.  My fault.

 

The 16-35mm I purchased allows filters and one of those I carry is a CPL.  I used that in Cozumel to eliminate the reflection off the water and get the colors to pop.  16mm with 77mm filters is the widest lens I've seen that accepts conventional filters which is exactly why I acquired it.  I plan to use it in Northstar on Anthem - so many pictures I've seen have the reflection of the glass in them and I'm hoping to avoid that with my CPL (or at least minimize it).

Thank you. You have inspire me to take pictures. Brilliance, Empress, Navigator, Anthem and Grandeur watch out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@twangster RC should pay you commission! After looking at these pics for the last few days, and having never sailed Freedom class myself, I just booked a cruise on Indy! Figured it would be very similar since they are sister ships and Indy will have the slides and trampoline park by the time we sail her. I have to say, your pics had a lot to do with the decision making! Thanks! Even my husband who never knows the where, what, how, and when is asking, "So, what pics did Twangster post today?" 😆👍Thanks for taking the time to do this blog! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Matt said:

@twangster Evidently all 3 Freedom class ships are in port today.  Might be a great photo, if you can somehow find a vantage point of all of them in one shot!

We are lonely in Ocho Rios.  Marinetraffic.com has Liberty in Falmouth and Independence  in Montego Bay.

The sisters are all over Jamaica at the moment.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, twangster said:

Eventually to San Juan

We have flown in and out of SJ for cruises a couple of times and we don't anymore. The SJ airport is a real pain in the a**, the cost of flying and the baggage weight restrictions is why. We prefer to drive to Florida and board the cruise ship there since we usually do B2Bs or a cruise no less than 10 days.:27_sunglasses:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, rjac said:

We have flown in and out of SJ for cruises a couple of times and we don't anymore. The SJ airport is a real pain in the a**, the cost of flying and the baggage weight restrictions is why. We prefer to drive to Florida and board the cruise ship there since we usually do B2Bs or a cruise no less than 10 days.:27_sunglasses:

San Juan does tend to cost more to fly into but for a 7 nighter to the Southern Caribbean it's your only choice.  For those than can do longer cruises sometimes you can reach the Southern Caribbean ( including the ABC islands) from FL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rjac said:

We have flown in and out of SJ for cruises a couple of times and we don't anymore. The SJ airport is a real pain in the a**, the cost of flying and the baggage weight restrictions is why. We prefer to drive to Florida and board the cruise ship there since we usually do B2Bs or a cruise no less than 10 days.:27_sunglasses:

I totally agree. We try to avoid SJ for the same reasons, especially the baggage weight restrictions lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, twangster said:

We are lonely in Ocho Rios.  Marinetraffic.com has Liberty in Falmouth and Independence  in Montego Bay.

The sisters are all over Jamaica at the moment.   

Ah, yes I see that now.  Thanks for clarification!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 6 - Ocho Rios Jamaica, Hot! Hot! Hot!

I awoke to find us at the pier in Ocho Rios.  It's been a few years since I've been here (on a lesser cruise line) but I have to admit I think I like it better here compared to Falmouth.  I was able to leave the port area and despite frequent offers for taxis and other items, I never felt uneasy, everyone was polite.  I understand the desire to do business with us, they are just trying to support their families like ourselves and it was handled quite well today by the locals here.

Earlier I talked about using a Circular Polarizing filter or CPL.  Like polarizing sunglass, it reduces the glare caused sunlight reflecting or bouncing off things such as water.  Here is the difference it makes:

With CPL:

5y7516K.jpg
 

Without CPL:

EyDiJti.jpg

Great port to get some shippy shots:

ggvezC2.jpg

mePaUu4.jpg

Very close to the port area, right outside the gates is a little collection of shops and bars called Island Village.  The Margaritavile has a sandy beach.

koQci0k.jpg

wbCyiGy.jpg

0Ma2eGx.jpg

N4gS1k1.jpg

A 10-15 minute walk into town will get you more shopping areas, duty free places and bars.

ylueAdX.jpg

Third time to Jamaica this year so no excursion.  After a little self-exploring and some beverages I headed back to the ship but I put my wide angle lens on as I headed back.

2Uwy8zn.jpg

One area I haven't done justice to on the ship is the solarium.  I like the combination of covered and open areas kid free.  I love kids, have some of my own, but I also like to escape the little angels at times.

ysLW0Zm.jpg

rFIBAZc.jpg

jyCHAQ9.jpg

Q0B2EJO.jpg

Hmmm - just heard a bravo, bravo, bravo call over the PA.  They were doing safety drills earlier today several hours ago, so I'm assuming its part of that on-going training effort.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...