Odyssey itinerary change

Frank P

I was just notified that Royal Caribbean has cancelled stops in Haifa and Jerusalem for for my upcoming "Holy Land" cruise due to the "escalating geopolitical situation in Israel".  They've replaced these ports with Bodrum, Turkey and Rhodes, Greece.  I have no interest in either of these alternate locations.  The cruise was billed as a trip to the Holy Land, and that was what I wanted and expected to see.  I called Royal Caribbean and was basically told that in a case like this, their only obligation is to provide alternate destinations, but I didn't really expect them to volunteer to joyfully give me a replacement date or a refund – that's just not the way they do business.  I'm wondering if there's anyone who has had any experience with this kind of itinerary change, and if so, what, if any, recourse did you have?   Thanks for your help. 

They have no obligation to you in this case other than to NOT sail you into active conflict zones. They do not have an obligation to find you another cruise itinerary, but nothing is stopping you from looking for one and do a cancel/rebook. Royal has no control over the weather or politics and can only do so much when unexpected events pop up. You need to familiarize yourself with the terms and conditions that YOU agreed to when booking the cruise. 

Royal aren't obligated to do anything. They could sail into an active conflict zone, but they chose not to because they clearly chose to put the safety of the ship, the crew and the guests first. If you don't like the new destinations and it's a make or break for you, you can always cancel 🙂

Can Royal Caribbean change a cruise itinerary?

In the event of strikes, lockouts, riots, weather conditions or mechanical difficulties, or for any other reason whatsoever, Royal Caribbean® may, at any time and without prior notice, cancel, advance, postpone or deviate from any scheduled sailing or port of call and may, but is not obliged to, substitute another ship or port of call and shall not be liable for any loss whatsoever to guests by reason of such cancellation, advancement, postponement, deviation or substitution. Royal Caribbean® shall not be responsible for any failure to adhere to the arrival and departure times published in this brochure for any of its ports of call.

3 hours ago, 27th Lady said:

I’m so confused by your post. Are you implying you think they should have sailed there while there is a war going on? I get you’re disappointed but it doesn’t seem like there is any reasonable alternative to what they are doing. 

I don't think OP wants that.  I think they would like to move to a different itinerary or just get a full refund.  They could do a move and pay the $100 per person move fee, but it is likely that fares are more now too if they booked a while ago.

Like others have said there probably isn't any recourse.  I certainly understand being upset as the trip is completely different now.  That is the chance we take and these things are very rare.

T&Cs of your booking CLEARLY state that changes to ports of call can be made by RC if needed! 

As Israel has said they are now at war your travel insurance should cover your trip, thats presumming your purchased travel insurance. 

However your trip hasn't been cancelled just amended which you agreed to when booking so Insurance company could say your not entitled to anything. 

12 hours ago, Frank P said:

I was just notified that Royal Caribbean has cancelled stops in Haifa and Jerusalem for for my upcoming "Holy Land" cruise due to the "escalating geopolitical situation in Israel".  They've replaced these ports with Bodrum, Turkey and Rhodes, Greece.  I have no interest in either of these alternate locations.  The cruise was billed as a trip to the Holy Land, and that was what I wanted and expected to see.  I called Royal Caribbean and was basically told that in a case like this, their only obligation is to provide alternate destinations, but I didn't really expect them to volunteer to joyfully give me a replacement date or a refund – that's just not the way they do business.  I'm wondering if there's anyone who has had any experience with this kind of itinerary change, and if so, what, if any, recourse did you have?   Thanks for your help. 

Forgive them Frank 

I'm not implying that the change isn't proper and necessary, I'm just saying that the cruise was billed as a "Holy Land" cruise, which was the whole reason we booked it.  It is now a "Mediterranean Cruise" (and a rather expensive one at that...but I digress) with new stops that have virtually no connection with the Holy Land whatsoever, and that we have absolutely no interest in. This was to be a "bucket list" cruise to celebrate my 80th birthday.  I've read the terms and conditions and I know that Royal Caribbean is well within their rights to modify the itinerary, and I  don't dispute that.  I was just asking if anyone has had any experience with this kind of situation and if Royal Caribbean did anything beyond the "fine print" to resolve the situation, e.g., offer the same cruise in the future at a deep discount (assuming I'm physically able to take advantage of it, of course!).  Thanks again for all your responses, even the snarky ones. 

3 hours ago, Frank P said:

I was just asking if anyone has had any experience with this kind of situation and if Royal Caribbean did anything beyond the "fine print" to resolve the situation, e.g., offer the same cruise in the future at a deep discount (assuming I'm physically able to take advantage of it, of course!).  Thanks again for all your responses, even the snarky ones. 

I had this situation when my Baltic Cruise was changed due to Russia invading Ukraine. 

St Petersburg was a bucket list item for us and the reason for booking Baltic Cruise. We had a fantastic cruise and didn't feel we missed out by not going to St Petersburg.

No compensation was offered and didn't look for any! We just accepted it had happened and got on with it! No point worrying about a few $$ when innocent people were being slaughtered!

Guess it's the same as someone from Europe travelling to the Caribbean for a bucket list cruise when a hurricane hits forcing ships to miss ports or change completely!

Hurricanes in the Caribbean and unrest in the Gaza Strip, 2 things which are always in the news, so it shouldn't be a shock cruises have been cancelled as it happens often in that area! 

1 hour ago, Traveling Mike said:

Royal did it all wrong.  They should have kept the ports in Israel and gave each of the cruiser a gun and helmet as they exit the cruise ship at port.  They will get the real Holly Land Cruise Experience.

Or maybe Royal is looking out for their cruisers....

Lol

Uncle Sam had 8 years of my life for that kind of stuff.  I’m too old now and my knees hurt 😁

Years ago we had a Greece and Turkey cruise booked and then Turkey became unstable and RCL swapped in Montenegro.  At that time we were disappointed but Montenegro ended up being a fantastic port visit that we never would have visited otherwise.  

It is unfortunate now but if you are truly trying to visit a bucket-list location a cruise probably is not the way to do it.  Port stops are missed for any number of reasons including political unrest to weather to port-worker strikes.  With that said, if you were visiting Israel directly at the moment (flying in, touring/hotel stays) you would probably have a different host of issues to deal with.

Cruises are, unfortunately, changeable.  If you really really want to cruise through Israel, maybe plan to cruise from Haifa, the Rhapsody cruises that were cancelled did get refunds.  

You’re actually lucky.  May 2023 Holy Land cruise changed ports after we sailed.  Ashdod was cancelled the night before we were to dock and although we docked in Haifa (and went through immigration), the ship departed 3 hour later due to danger.   Replacement ports were decided while “on the move”.   We, like you, paid a premium for a “Holy Land” cruise.   At least you have the opportunity to decide if you still want to sail.  

On 10/8/2023 at 10:58 AM, Frank P said:

I was just asking if anyone has had any experience with this kind of situation and if Royal Caribbean did anything beyond the "fine print" to resolve the situation, e.g., offer the same cruise in the future at a deep discount (assuming I'm physically able to take advantage of it, of course!).  Thanks again for all your responses, even the snarky ones. 

The only time I've seen any action by Royal was when there were enough complaints and enough vocalization to effect any change. It's unfortunate and rare, but this does happen and is always a possibility when cruising. Some travel insurance contracts may have some clauses in them where you could collect some insurance money for the missed ports, especially if you had prepaid, non-refundable excursions.

It’s beyond their control. It’s in the contract you agreed to. That’s what travel insurance is for. 

We did this cruise exactly a year ago. It was an amazing experience but there was always a chance we could be cancelled at any moment. It was a risk we were willing to take. It’s always been an extremely unstable part of the world. The situation can change in an instant just like it did this past Saturday 

I hope you get there someday because it was unforgettable 

On 10/8/2023 at 3:58 PM, Frank P said:

I'm not implying that the change isn't proper and necessary, I'm just saying that the cruise was billed as a "Holy Land" cruise, which was the whole reason we booked it.  It is now a "Mediterranean Cruise" (and a rather expensive one at that...but I digress) with new stops that have virtually no connection with the Holy Land whatsoever, and that we have absolutely no interest in. This was to be a "bucket list" cruise to celebrate my 80th birthday.  I've read the terms and conditions and I know that Royal Caribbean is well within their rights to modify the itinerary, and I  don't dispute that.  I was just asking if anyone has had any experience with this kind of situation and if Royal Caribbean did anything beyond the "fine print" to resolve the situation, e.g., offer the same cruise in the future at a deep discount (assuming I'm physically able to take advantage of it, of course!).  Thanks again for all your responses, even the snarky ones. 

You are assuming this conflict is going to end a) any time soon and b) leaving the area in any condition where it would be safe for a person of 80 years plus to visit?
As people above have stated, either go take the new itinerary or though your Travel Insurance and get your money back

If the original itinerary ever does get offered again there would be no offered discount and seeking one because your trip has been inconvenienced by a war is low, decent people do not seek to profit off the suffering of other people