Weather and the next 7 days

OK, so Mariner leaves Saturday. Sunday at sea. Monday is supposed to be Labadee. The hurricane will be super close to Haiti on Monday. Tuesday is supposed to be Jamaica. Now they are talking about bad waves hitting the shore lines as storm passes. Making sailing, swimming on board, and docking all potentially difficult. What do you think the odds are we will get switched? Maybe the gulf and Mexico for calmer waters? 

14 minutes ago, CanHardlyWait said:

OK, so Mariner leaves Saturday. Sunday at sea. Monday is supposed to be Labadee. The hurricane will be super close to Haiti on Monday. Tuesday is supposed to be Jamaica. Now they are talking about bad waves hitting the shore lines as storm passes. Making sailing, swimming on board, and docking all potentially difficult. What do you think the odds are we will get switched? Maybe the gulf and Mexico for calmer waters? 

This storm appears to be particularly tricky. It speeds up, it slows down, it goes one way and then goes another, and then slows down again. I'm sure people at the various cruise lines are keeping an eye on it and throwing out contingencies, but with this one, it may all be fairly last minute. Nobody on here is going to have any real insight at this point, that might be the only guarantee 🙂

First and foremost, despite what you read and see, meteorologists really have no idea what will happen. So making changes more than a few days in advance is actually a mistake. Cross that bridge when they need to kind of situation.

Second, maps are quite deceiving because while these storms are big, ships can evade the worst of any storm with a few adjustments (i.e. hugging the coast more or taking a longer route to get to a place and bypass the path of the storm)

2 minutes ago, ColdRingo said:

We leave on Saturday out of Fort Lauderdale, 2 sea days then the St. Croix and Tortola. Hard to say if we'll get an itinerary change or not.

Regardless, if all they do take the Adventure of the Seas out and do circles in the Gulf, I'm still going to enjoy the hell out of my vacation!  🍹

That change would work for me too. LOL.

5 minutes ago, steverk said:

While this storm could cause almost any problem you can imagine, it's likely to stay away from shore or the islands.

I'd say, trust Royal to keep you safe and to make the trip as enjoyable as possible. That might mean an itinerary change,  but probably not.

I'm actually hoping for a change. All reports say the storm won't hit land, but the waves etc in and around land will be extreme. That can close pools onboard. Make docking at ports impossible. Make Beach activities not happen. I say avoid all those storm side effects and go gulf/Mexico etc. Don't have to be in the eye of a storm to have the waves cause too many problems. No itinerary is worth it. I'm flexible. I'll be happy anyplace with minimal residual effects. 

Just received for cruise departing Sunday from Port Canaveral

http://www.creative.rccl.com/e-lite/RCI/2020/Employee_Communications/20073400_Pre_Sailing_Cas_EM_Templates/Option_1/images/compass_header.jpg
http://www.creative.rccl.com/e-lite/RCI/2014/Masters/email_temp/html/images/spacer.gif
About Your Upcoming Travels  
http://www.creative.rccl.com/e-lite/RCI/2014/Masters/email_temp/html/images/spacer.gif

Dear Guest,

Before we set sail for our Wonder of the Seas September 10th, 2023 sailing, we have an update to share.

Along with our Chief Meteorologist and nautical experts, we’re closely monitoring the development of Hurricane Lee and any potential impacts to our itineraries.

We’ll keep you updated every step of the way and will contact you and your travel partner directly by tomorrow evening, September 8th, 2023 once details are finalized.

Please know being onboard a ship is one of the safest places because we are faster and can move out of the way of any inclement weather. Your safety and well-being are always our highest priority.

We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Sincerely,

Aurora Yera-Rodriguez
AVP | Guest Experience
Royal Caribbean International

58 minutes ago, CanHardlyWait said:

I'm actually hoping for a change. All reports say the storm won't hit land, but the waves etc in and around land will be extreme. That can close pools onboard. Make docking at ports impossible. Make Beach activities not happen. I say avoid all those storm side effects and go gulf/Mexico etc. Don't have to be in the eye of a storm to have the waves cause too many problems. No itinerary is worth it. I'm flexible. I'll be happy anyplace with minimal residual effects. 

Be careful what you wish for. A cat 4 hurricane coming ashore would be deadly to somebody. 

Unfortunately,  rough seas is pretty much certain at this point.  Royal will do its best to avoid that, but it is likely to be pretty rough for at least some of the time.

If it makes you feel any better,  I sail on Jewel leaving Bayonne on Thursday.  That is likely to be rough as well.

5 minutes ago, CanHardlyWait said:

Show me where and when I EVER wished that on anyone???

The first line of your post said "I'm actually hoping for a change."

I'm not sure you really meant that you wanted it to hit someone,  but with a storm this powerful and with such favorable conditions,  that's the only alternative to staying out at sea and creating rough seas.

15 minutes ago, steverk said:

The first line of your post said "I'm actually hoping for a change."

I'm not sure you really meant that you wanted it to hit someone,  but with a storm this powerful and with such favorable conditions,  that's the only alternative to staying out at sea and creating rough seas.

A CHANGE OF ITINERARY!

I thought that was obvious from the context. I have to spell things out in greater detail for the masses.

I say to heck with itinerary and scheduled ports. Go where the weather and seas are best, calmest, safest. One port is just as good as another. No Port is good if weather is too rough to dock. 

1 hour ago, CanHardlyWait said:

A CHANGE OF ITINERARY!

I thought that was obvious from the context. I have to spell things out in greater detail for the masses.

I say to heck with itinerary and scheduled ports. Go where the weather and seas are best, calmest, safest. One port is just as good as another. No Port is good if weather is too rough to dock. 

Sorry.  I didn't pick up on that.

I live in a hurricane evacuation zone. You would be surprised how many people celebrate a hurricane going someplace else without realizing the impact it has on the people that live where it lands.

The good news about this one is that this hurricane is expected to go to the north Atlantic without hitting land. That's a best case scenario.  Let's hope it holds.

I’m also leaving Bayonne on Thursday…heading north to Canada and Greenland. Hopefully. Most of the spaghetti models currently show Lee right on our course track up the coast.

Been on enough sailings to pretty much expect anything. Royal will decide what to do when the time comes.

It can be anything from a complete change of itinerary…such as two weeks in the Caribbean instead of Greenland (I’ll pack accordingly), or even an adjustment in scheduling ports. Also, two ports in Greenland are tender ports and waves/swells may prevent us from disembarking. 

We could also board and they may decide to keep us tied up in port for a day. Had that happen before.

Such is the risk of sailing during hurricane season. The priority is safety. 

3 hours ago, BrianB said:

I’m also leaving Bayonne on Thursday…heading north to Canada and Greenland. Hopefully. Most of the spaghetti models currently show Lee right on our course track up the coast.

Been on enough sailings to pretty much expect anything. Royal will decide what to do when the time comes.

It can be anything from a complete change of itinerary…such as two weeks in the Caribbean instead of Greenland (I’ll pack accordingly), or even an adjustment in scheduling ports. Also, two ports in Greenland are tender ports and waves/swells may prevent us from disembarking. 

We could also board and they may decide to keep us tied up in port for a day. Had that happen before.

Yep - see you on board. I will add a pair of shorts to my packing just in case.... 

9 hours ago, BrianB said:

I'm looking forward to the same cruise.  Gonna bring ginger tablets though. Jewel can have a lively ride 

11 hours ago, BrianB said:

So I'm looking at the latest NHC forecast.  It shows the storm well to the south of New York on Wednesday afternoon.  That means we should be able to board on Thursday without issue.  Once that's complete, I'd expect Royal will want to get out to sea as soon as possible.  Being in port during a strong storm is usually more dangerous than being at sea.

Once at sea, the storm would be between the ship and the Caribbean.  Therefore, it seems unlikely Jewel will sail south.

Beyond these observations, we'll just have to wait and see how things develop. It does look like it will be an interesting cruise!

@steverk @BrianB I’ll be onboard with you.  Not looking forward to the swells.  I’ll be one of the green people🤢I have my antiemetics packed along with some ginger.  Since this port is driveable I might add some summer clothes/pool float in a small luggage but it doesn’t seem we will be able to go south….so not sure I should bother.  I can say this, if I don’t bavk a bag of summer clothes we WILL go somewhere warm!😂😩😢

9 hours ago, Jill said:

@sailaway_jason models for next weekend. Of course these could change a million times. Mikes Weather Page on Facebook is a good one to follow 

image.thumb.png.e6ac4b0f3fb5efe89851718ae7109f4b.png

Thanks, but as mentioned on here, models like that are completely useless and not accurate whatsoever this far out. The only account I’m watching is Royal Caribbean’s Chief Meteorologist Craig Setzer!  Only time will tell with this one. 

1 hour ago, Geezer Of The Seas said:

For fun (and boredom with college games currently on) I looked up the high seas forecast for the Southwest Atlantic. 20-33' in the vicinity of Hurricane Lee and 8-15' swells well west of the center. Nautical............and then some.

8-15 feet would be fun on a cruise ship. 20-33 I'll pass on