Let's talk about food!

Monic.TW

So I have never been on a Royal Caribbean cruise. Heck, I've never been on a cruise ever. So I'm curious to know what are some of everyone's favorite foods on board the various cruise ships in the Royal Caribbean fleet? 

Do you have a go-to entree?

Is there a specific dessert that you must have?

An appetizer that tickles your fancy?

Or perhaps something you wish they'd serve on the ship?

Let's have some fun with this😊

14 hours ago, Monic.TW said:

So I have never been on a Royal Caribbean cruise. Heck, I've never been on a cruise ever. So I'm curious to know what are some of everyone's favorite foods on board the various cruise ships in the Royal Caribbean fleet? 

My go-to entree in the main dining room is always a beef dish.  Prime rib or steak always works.  And on that extra special night, lobster!  In the buffet, the primo entree choices are more limited.  Minute steaks or roast beef when they have it.  Pork chops also, when they have them.

I'm no longer able to have desert.  But my wife loves cheese cake.  It's now rarely available in either the MDR or buffet, but when it is, she is happy.  My wife also loves cake, so that's her choice when cheesecake isn't available.  When it's available, in the MDR, I order shrimp cocktail for my desert.  The first time I ask, the waiters are puzzled, since I also order shrimp cocktail as my appetizer.  Once they understand my intentions, the shrimp cocktail is automatic.  And sometimes the waiter brings me a double.🥰  Before my life changed, lava cake or a brownie and a scoop of ice cream, however simple, was my choice.

Appetizers?  As above, shrimp cocktail is my favorite.  But sometimes I do change it up a little, and order a Caesar's salad.

The menu has changed, and my favorites are not always available, but I usually  find something to eat, even if it's in the buffet.  A burger patty with a side of hot dog is my steak replacement.  And grilled fish has always been good for me.

However simple I am, I also notice what our table mates order.  Some folks order escargot at every meal when available.  Everybody that orders it, loves it.  And the onion soup?  I've never had it, but it is a table favorite, every time.  We took our boy on a cruise recently.  He ordered lamb, and loved it. 

So, although the menu changes don't please me every time, other folks at our table rave about the other choices. 

Bottom line... I  appreciate everything, and if it sounds like I'm bellyaching, I need to be slapped and brought back to my senses.  These cruises are a Blessing from Heaven.

11 hours ago, Monic.TW said:

Do you have a go-to entree?  beef tenderloin (which is now served on French night) and lobster

Is there a specific dessert that you must have?  key lime pie and crème brûlée

An appetizer that tickles your fancy?  lentil soup 

Or perhaps something you wish they'd serve on the ship?  too many to mention…lol!

Welcome to this blog and I assume Royal Caribbean cruising!  My answers are above.  It’s quite difficult to truly answer now that the menu has changed.  Used to be able to fall back on a few regular choices but that is no longer possible.

Desserts, I’ve given them up except maybe once per cruise. Favorites used to be:
apple blossom-no longer available on the dinner menu but is on one lunch menu-at least on the 7 night or longer cruise
Gran marnier soufflé-also no longer available 
Crene brûlée-that might be removed from the menu
Lemon tart
Tiramisu
Warm chocolate hazelnut cake-I don’t have the ice cream
A fruit plate if they’ll make it-if not I’m stuck with the kids diced fruit

main: most any of the salmon
Chicken-most any of those- Liberty had the best chicken parm and chicken Marsala…other ships have been hit or miss
Turkey dinner-though the stuffing varies by ship so it’s not always my fave
Steak/red meat-I’m supposed to stay away, and pretty much do, I see lots of people enjoying the prime rib and strip steak 

Appetizers
Caesar salad dressing in the side.  I like to add a second appetizer directly to this on some nights (crab cake, seafood cake, maple tofu/avocado salad)
‘beef carpaccio (so I guess I cheat with this red meat)
Coconut shrimp

as someone else mentioned I’ve seen a lot of people order escargot and French onion soup any time it’s on the menu. Additionally I’ve never seen a disappointed person when they order the warm chocolate chip cookie with ice cream, maybe my next cruise I’ll make that my cheat.

Haven't cruised since the menu change, but previously we enjoyed the crab cake appetizer, and our son liked the cold fruit soups.

For entree, we enjoyed the lamb shank, pork medallion, lobster tail, and duck.  I also liked tiger shrimp.  Rarely had a bad meal, although I wouldn't recommend the pasta dishes in the MDR, especially ravioli.

The great desserts have been mentioned, and usually anything chocolate was good.  My all-time favorite was the chocolate sensation.  Next year we will see how the new menu has been adjusted.  Still thinking there will be changes based on survey results.

The steak is ok.  Ask for rare if you want it at least medium done and not well.

Creme Brule, the chocolate molten cake with ice cream.  IMHO the very best dessert thing on the ship are the oatmeal raisin cookies (not available in the MDR). 

Daughter-in-law always asked for the cheese plate (which is in the desserts section) for appetizer.  Several cheeses and some fruit. 

Anything and everything from Jamie's Italian. Been there 4 times on 2 different cruises.

MDR - NY steak has been consistently good. Ask for rare.

MDR - my spouse LOVED the sliced cranberry bread. It had some other things in it and was shaped like a ciabatta and sliced like normal white bread.  It was very good.

Windjammer - some sort of Caribbean stew with some kind of beef product.  I can't remember any details but I ate it alot.

Chops - Ribeye with Jus.  Everything else is pale in comparison except for the Mushroom soup.

French onion soup is amazing, the cheesecake and royal chocolate cake are awesome.  Best advise I can give you is try everything!  We often order multiple items in the MDR just to try different things.  I really like the buffet at breakfast time.  Even on our SC sailing I still went to the buffet for breakfast 5 out of the 7 mornings.  Chops is great, 150 CP is a must as well.  

On 6/23/2023 at 9:36 PM, Montemy2419 said:

If you eat in the Main Dining Room and it's getting closer to the time for your show to start you can always ask them to make the dessert to go.  The will give it to you on a plate with a cover and just ask for silverware from your waiter and stash it in your room for a late night snack.

Hey thanks for the friendly tip. I will definitely keep this in mind on my cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

Ooh, I'm late to this party!  I love most of the food on the cruise!  Creme Brulee is my all time favorite dessert, order it every night!  Usually the bananas foster is pretty good but last cruise, I think they used plantains and it wasn't good.  I like the muesli that's in the Windjammer at breakfast.  Honestly, I'm all about the food!!

3 hours ago, KJ777 said:

Ooh, I'm late to this party!  I love most of the food on the cruise!  Creme Brulee is my all time favorite dessert, order it every night!  Usually the bananas foster is pretty good but last cruise, I think they used plantains and it wasn't good.  I like the muesli that's in the Windjammer at breakfast.  Honestly, I'm all about the food!!

No such thing as being late to the party. Great suggestions are always valid!

On 6/13/2023 at 9:13 AM, Monic.TW said:

I fell in LOVE with the truffle pasta in Coastal Kitchen and now desperately wish it was served shipwide

Since I don't like chocolate I skew toward the Apple Blossom. It's delicious! (runners up are the key lime and no sugar added peach shortcake...when it's ACTUALLY a CAKE)

FRENCH ONION SOUP!!!!!!!!!!!

Ever since realizing it was a thing that could be done on ships I want Royal to do Kbbq. it's my "treat" on land and I'd love to get it on vacation

1 hour ago, CrimsonCruiser said:

I fell in LOVE with the truffle pasta in Coastal Kitchen and now desperately wish it was served shipwide

Since I don't like chocolate I skew toward the Apple Blossom. It's delicious! (runners up are the key lime and no sugar added peach shortcake...when it's ACTUALLY a CAKE)

FRENCH ONION SOUP!!!!!!!!!!!

Ever since realizing it was a thing that could be done on ships I want Royal to do Kbbq. it's my "treat" on land and I'd love to get it on vacation

Oh Korean BBQ would be amazing, tho I think it's more of a regional favorite for most.

2 hours ago, cruisellama said:

For some reason - I really like the "Floating Island" dessert offered in CK.    Always make sure I make the serving day and time.

I have seen this on the brunch menu in the MDR, it lacks the flavor of CK. For some reason I love a good meringue, but the floating island at CK is was/my favorite dessert.

On 7/10/2023 at 9:07 PM, Ryan79 said:

I agree!! As someone who does not like apple pie, the apple blossom is my hands down favorite dessert onboard! It’s THAT good!! 

The apple blossom has been removed from the MDR desserts at dinner time. 
check the lunch time menu, it is available one day at lunch in the dining room  on a 7 day cruise. 

9 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

The apple blossom has been removed from the MDR desserts at dinner time. 
check the lunch time menu, it is available one day at lunch in the dining room  on a 7 day cruise. 

....oh my god you're right......I didn't notice.........but it's gone....those monsters....

No God No God Please No GIFs | Tenor