I will never give Royal Caribbean my business.

What’s the CEO email?

we booked the boat called the “Nightmare of the seas”. I highly anticipated holiday by the worlds best cruise liner as they say, our trip of a lifetime ended up being a complete disaster . Nothing has been refunded after two email requests . 

7 hours ago, Seamus said:

What’s the CEO email?

we booked the boat called the “Nightmare of the seas”. I highly anticipated holiday by the worlds best cruise liner as they say, our trip of a lifetime ended up being a complete disaster . Nothing has been refunded after two email requests . 

A Google search will show the email for the ceo. 

Click Here

I’m wide awake at my normal time of 330 am but have the day off, so I have time to be curious about your post.   It’s rather vague in the way that most complaining posts are so I have questions.  

Was there a chartered cruise called Nightmare of the Seas?  Was it a Halloween charter?   What happened to make it a complete disaster?

or

Did something happen on a regular cruise that made you rename the ship “Nightmare”?  If so, what happened?  

To me, the phrase “complete disaster” brings images of suffering, injuries, and loss, however I know everyone is different.  I also know that after disappointment, people will use phrases like this to put an exclamation point on their dissatisfaction. 

So please, tell me more. 

@twangster   “The OP's rant is well deserved by Royal and other cruise lines that do the same.  They wouldn't have an agenda were it not for being poorly treated in the first place.”

I agree that the rant is well deserved. I addressed that in the second part of my comment.

But I wanted to point out that there is the possibility that some of these ‘hit and run’ posts seem disingenuous. They appear to me to have some similarities in wording and structure. Maybe it’s because the OP was surfing the forums and found like-minded posts and picked up some phrases that rang true to their experience…or maybe they had another agenda. That could be anything from slamming a business they don’t like…to just trolling. 
There does seem to be quite a few of them that just pop up every now and again. One and done.

Funny we never seem to get hit and run complimentary posts. Of course, some people would make an effort only to complain rather than praise, but still…

Just my opinion.

1 hour ago, BrianB said:

@twangster   “The OP's rant is well deserved by Royal and other cruise lines that do the same.  They wouldn't have an agenda were it not for being poorly treated in the first place.”

I agree that the rant is well deserved. I addressed that in the second part of my comment.

But I wanted to point out that there is the possibility that some of these ‘hit and run’ posts seem disingenuous. They appear to me to have some similarities in wording and structure. Maybe it’s because the OP was surfing the forums and found like-minded posts and picked up some phrases that rang true to their experience…or maybe they had another agenda. That could be anything from slamming a business they don’t like…to just trolling. 
There does seem to be quite a few of them that just pop up every now and again. One and done.

Funny we never seem to get hit and run complimentary posts. Of course, some people would make an effort only to complain rather than praise, but still…

Just my opinion.

Understood.   However when new posters are seemingly attacked they are even less likely to stick around and become interactive forum users.   

In this case their rant is valid.   It's not another false claim of bait & switch, false claims that KSF is a lie, false claims of DX BOGO bad math, etc.   

36 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

The rant had all the telltale signs of being fake.  "Paid a big deposit" and "made multiple payments" and "no one told us"

Getting your cruise pulled out from under you due to a charter has to suck, but this instance doesn't pass the sniff test.

A party of four pays a big deposit.  $1,000 is a big deposit. 

Royal encourages and has a system to take multiple payments.  It's called Flexpay.

It's also very easy for a Royal email to end up in a spam folder.  Even with Royal being in my VIP contact list at least 1/3 of all Royal emails still go into my spam folder.   

For a less frequent cruiser or a new to cruise it does pass the sniff test. 

As a frequent cruiser I'm still very PO'd when royal dumps me for a charter.  I still go through all the stages every time. 

14 hours ago, Seamus said:

What’s the CEO email?

This sounds exactly like a chartered cruise, you should address your complaints to the company who chartered the ship, not Royal.

On 5/12/2023 at 9:06 PM, TXcruzer said:

This is a fan site, no affiliation to Royal Caribbean 

This is an EXCELLENT place for new cruisers, such as yourself to learn all manner of things, and to get excellent advice. 

Writing a post about taking your business elsewhere really needs to be sent to the corporate entity, not the fan club.

EVERY mainstream cruise line out there cancels pre booked ships if the offer from the charter is strong enough (and YES, they ALL handle it EXACTLY the same way)

Actually, this is exactly the format where fans discuss what Royal does well and can improve on. Knowing that the line yanking your cruise at any moment is a possibility is a great topic to discuss if for nothing else letting all know that while very unlikely, it is a possibility. From those that responded it seems that it's not too uncommon and does happen from time to time. I'm glad to listen to somebody who was disappointed by an action that would no doubt disappoint the majority of cruisers here. Especially those that are new to cruising or don't get to cruise as frequently as others. 

Also, as somebody mentioned, the "they all do it" excuse is such a cop out. While true, it doesn't mean it's right. We book and put money down with in good faith that the company holds up their end of the bargain. For them to go chase a more lucrative deal and abandon their promise after we've spent time working and planning towards that vacation is simply not kind. So who cares if "they all do it", because, "they all shouldn't".

3 hours ago, CruiseRoyalDad said:

Actually, this is exactly the format where fans discuss what Royal does well and can improve on. Knowing that the line yanking your cruise at any moment is a possibility is a great topic to discuss if for nothing else letting all know that while very unlikely, it is a possibility. From those that responded it seems that it's not too uncommon and does happen from time to time. I'm glad to listen to somebody who was disappointed by an action that would no doubt disappoint the majority of cruisers here. Especially those that are new to cruising or don't get to cruise as frequently as others. 

Also, as somebody mentioned, the "they all do it" excuse is such a cop out. While true, it doesn't mean it's right. We book and put money down with in good faith that the company holds up their end of the bargain. For them to go chase a more lucrative deal and abandon their promise after we've spent time working and planning towards that vacation is simply not kind. So who cares if "they all do it", because, "they all shouldn't".

Letting the fan site know you aren’t giving Royal any more business gets you nowhere. 

16 hours ago, TXcruzer said:

Letting the fan site know you aren’t giving Royal any more business gets you nowhere. 

I think it was incredibly informative to know why this potential cruiser felt this way. From the many responses it seems that others knew this was a possibility and were at least irritated by having had the same experience. Maybe instead of sarcastically dismissing the OP, we could be more empathetic to the issue they encountered and discuss the occurrence of it happening at Royal and across the cruise industry and how disappointing it is. Wait, for the most part that's exactly what happened. As a huge plus, with the amount of views that post has garnered it's entirely possible that someone who had no idea that this type of cancellation was possible would see now that it is possible, and at least be mentally prepared for the unfortunate event in the future. 

Tell me, where does a glowing trip report get somebody? Nowhere right? But it's a lot of fun to read and often super informative to help us build towards our own perfect cruise, right? Same thing here, but unfortunately this experience is a negative. 

1 hour ago, CruiseRoyalDad said:

I think it was incredibly informative to know why this potential cruiser felt this way. From the many responses it seems that others knew this was a possibility and were at least irritated by having had the same experience. Maybe instead of sarcastically dismissing the OP, we could be more empathetic to the issue they encountered and discuss the occurrence of it happening at Royal and across the cruise industry and how disappointing it is. Wait, for the most part that's exactly what happened. As a huge plus, with the amount of views that post has garnered it's entirely possible that someone who had no idea that this type of cancellation was possible would see now that it is possible, and at least be mentally prepared for the unfortunate event in the future. 

Tell me, where does a glowing trip report get somebody? Nowhere right? But it's a lot of fun to read and often super informative to help us build towards our own perfect cruise, right? Same thing here, but unfortunately this experience is a negative. 

You give a fair opinion as to perspective and get points for morality and kindness from me.  I do not disagree that maybe we were somewhat dismissive or harsh.

Having said that, think about the following if you will:

1. More often than not, people who come to these boards and complain like the OP are one-offers.  They come to rant and leave.  They are not looking for empathy.

2. Empathy requires a person to understand and share in the feelings of the emoter.  Many of us cannot do this because many of us understand a few things.

A. RCCL is a business like all other cruise lines.  B. This is 2023.  We are in the information age and information (and unfortunately misinformation) is available 24/7 and literally at your finger tips.  C. Many of us are prudent and do our homework to anticipate all sorts of crazy scenarios. D. This forum, and Matt in particular, advocates for using a travel agent.  A TA would have been able to work something out or at the very least calm the OP down a little.  

3. Did I mention that RCCL is a business?  Right or Wrong, it is their business.  We can certainly speak up and help shape future decisions such as cancelling a cruise in favor of a charter, but ultimately, they have a lot of information that they use and weigh to make these decisions and we simply do not.  We can do a lot of guessing, but again, they are the cruise pros.  

4. You suggest discussing the issues.  We are.  

5. People are crass by nature.  A public forum, or semi-public forum, will have a lot of differing perspectives, but a fan forum will have more like-minded people than not.

6. MOST IMPORTANTLY, this is a FAN SITE.  

I agree with @CruiseRoyalDad that we should accept, listen to and accept all information, good or bad and process it accordingly.  Who wouldn't be mad if their cruise were cancelled for a charter?  I know I would be.

Where the OP loses me is with the "I will never give Royal Caribbean my business...".  If his goal is to avoid cruise lines that book charters and cancel anyone previously booked, then that is all cruise lines so he really means that he doesn't intend to cruise again on the outside chance he hits this inverse lottery of doom.

I feel for the guy on the charter situation.  I am skeptical that he was "never contacted".  Also skeptical that he had to "fight to get his money back".  He hasn't returned to clarify either of those points neither of which are normal for charter cancelations.

21 minutes ago, CruisingNewb said:

You give a fair opinion as to perspective and get points for morality and kindness from me.  I do not disagree that maybe we were somewhat dismissive or harsh.

Having said that, think about the following if you will:

1. More often than not, people who come to these boards and complain like the OP are one-offers.  They come to rant and leave.  They are not looking for empathy.

2. Empathy requires a person to understand and share in the feelings of the emoter.  Many of us cannot do this because many of us understand a few things.

A. RCCL is a business like all other cruise lines.  B. This is 2023.  We are in the information age and information (and unfortunately misinformation) is available 24/7 and literally at your finger tips.  C. Many of us are prudent and do our homework to anticipate all sorts of crazy scenarios. D. This forum, and Matt in particular, advocates for using a travel agent.  A TA would have been able to work something out or at the very least calm the OP down a little.  

3. Did I mention that RCCL is a business?  Right or Wrong, it is their business.  We can certainly speak up and help shape future decisions such as cancelling a cruise in favor of a charter, but ultimately, they have a lot of information that they use and weigh to make these decisions and we simply do not.  We can do a lot of guessing, but again, they are the cruise pros.  

4. You suggest discussing the issues.  We are.  

5. People are crass by nature.  A public forum, or semi-public forum, will have a lot of differing perspectives, but a fan forum will have more like-minded people than not.

6. MOST IMPORTANTLY, this is a FAN SITE.  

You had me at a "like" if not for #6 and #2A partially going back to the Royal Caribbean is a business as an excuse for canceling a cruise in favor of a charter. Maybe sometimes the sign of rising above the competition is taking a little less profit for the sake of the client that you've already committed to. As a customer, try to change your cruise 1 month before sail date because you found a better rate or itinerary. Good luck. They hold the customer to a different standard. Some people just don't know how useful a TA is, and guess what they can learn that here. But many posts highlighting bad travel agents can also be found on this fan site.

Fan site, we agree. We discuss everything. WE discuss why Matt loves Sabor and was sorry to see it go on so many amped ships. Others say why they didn't like something, give their reasons, and we take that to inform our own experiences/plans. I didn't always realize that the flexibility of MyTime dining sometimes came with lines rivaling mid tier attractions at Disney World. It was great to be prepped for that and learn how to make other plans. Did you shout for joy when they added the room service charge? How about raised gratuities? Plenty of post about both of those.

Fan site, of course. It's also the royal Caribbean information super highway. All of it hits here, fans or not. I think it's great to discuss the things we don't like, but also to reminisce or talk about, with joyful expectation, the things we love to look forward to on the next cruise. 

One timer or not, the OP brought value to the forum. I felt it inappropriate to comment as if they should have known that it's a fan site. I also think to say "with so much information out there they should have known better" please. Plus, even though this a fan site these are the things fans talk about. So the dismissive comment was moot from the outset. Give me a fan that agrees with every move their sports team makes and I'll sell you the Icon of the Seas.  Seems to me the OP was here with a legitimate grievance to vent/inform, and not expecting the blog site to compensate them. 

I kind of see both sides. It does seem like the typical one and done we see a lot of. This has however brought out some information on what happens when Royal does a charter (thanks to Twangster and Bazza). RCL really seems to tell you to go pound salt, I would have expected a more sweeter offer. After seeing that I would probably post the same thing 🙂 

9 minutes ago, CruiseRoyalDad said:

Royal Caribbean is a business as an excuse for canceling a cruise in favor of a charter. 

I think it's great to discuss the things we don't like, but also to reminisce or talk about, with joyful expectation, the things we love to look forward to on the next cruise. 

One timer or not, the OP brought value to the forum. I felt it inappropriate to comment as if they should have known that it's a fan site. 

First, I enjoy your thoughtful comments.  Whether I agree, they are well thought out and even-handed (mostly).

I highlighted 3 things you said.

1. RCCL is a business.  I am not making excuses for them.  I also agree that our collective and aggregate input should, and sometimes does, shape RCCL policy.  But the FACT of the matter is, its RCCL's business.  Whether I, typing on a keyboard, in my pajamas, with moderate management experience, think I know better than RCCL, that is wholly irrelevant.  It isn't my business, its RCCL's.  I hate it, but that is reality.  Apple, under Steve Jobs, was ruthless.  They knew what they offered and stood firm.  When antennae gate was all the rumble, Steve Jobs just said the customers shouldn't hold the phone that way instead of immediately appealing to the consumer.  

2. Yes. Discuss.  Even rant.  Okay.  That is different than what the OP and many others do. They throw a temper tantrum with zero objectivity, and leave.  Sorry, no sympathy from me.

3. The way some people state it, and the words some people use may be inappropriate, but the reality is, like I mentioned before, this is a fan site, its 2023, Matt is transparent about this site not being affiliated with RCCL

Royal Caribbean Blog is an unofficial fan blog written for other fans of Royal Caribbean International. The Royal Caribbean Blog is not affiliated with Royal Caribbean International

Now, what you and I are doing is intelligent, adult, healthy debate.  It is robust.  We are acknowledging one another.  We are offering opinion, fact, and trying to be objective without being wholly unsubjective.  This is productive.  What the OP did was NOT productive.  

I'm gonna see this a little different.  It's no secret RC's customer service is not what it used to be.  This is not a trend confined to only RC.  It's the trend of customer service everywhere.  Many of us have attempted contact with them over customer service issues and have received no response at all. 

So, a frustrated customer vents.  I've vented a time or two myself.  When RC has full ships, customer service isn't a priority.  But they should be embarrassed to know the things that are often discussed on a forum such as this.

Right now, with full ships, they are fat and happy.  But when there's a downturn for any reason, and they need to be competitive to lure customers, it's discussions such as this that they should be concerned with. 

@CruisingNewb Well we obviously disagree on the poster venting here about a very real situation. Being angry about the way they were treated and trying to negatively affect Royal Caribbean because of that. It's not going to make me cancel my August cruise on Harmony of the Seas with 3 other families, not in the least. It's more likely that a snowball will survive the sun. 😉. But I do agree with the OP. I very much value the information and knowing how quickly plans can change because of what I consider (and that cruiser considers) bad business practice. A pretty abhorrent way to treat clients, really. You can copy and paste the blog tagline all day long but fans will be fans and give their opinion which is why I'm here. SO  in the end I do see the OPs words as valuable in this time, place, and forum. I was a bit put off by the dismissive nature of TXcruzr comments because we should want all RCCL experience to be discussed here.

One last thing to add. This type of conversation is something that may talk somebody like the OP off the "plank" and bring them back to what they may not know to be a wonderful vacation. Sure we can agree that RCCL canceling cruises in favor of charter at least feels unfair, even if perfectly legal, but RCCL does provide a phenomenal experience. If the OP sees the conversation here and realizes that this happens relatively rarely, they may think twice about swearing off RCCL and the possible experience of a lifetime. The OP may see that normal prolific cruisers also HATE when they are tossed aside for a charter but have figured out ways to mitigate the situation whether via backup plans or a good TA. They may realize that another horizon awaits and that the cancellation should be the exception not the expectation. 

Venting and ranting is one thing.  Adults can do both. 

Doing it like a child (ie: throwing a tantrum using binary and absolutes like "I will never give Royal Carribean my business" based upon a whole lot of misconception, misunderstanding, and miseducation, and then running off....that just doesn't get my sympathy.  

How about this:

Royal Cancelled My Cruise and I am Disappointed/Angry

Blah, blah, yada, yada, can anyone convince me to give it another try and explain what options that I might have?

2 minutes ago, CruisingNewb said:

Venting and ranting is one thing.  Adults can do both. 

Doing it like a child (ie: throwing a tantrum using binary and absolutes like "I will never give Royal Carribean my business" based upon a whole lot of misconception, misunderstanding, and miseducation, and then running off....that just doesn't get my sympathy.  

How about this:

Royal Cancelled My Cruise and I am Disappointed/Angry

Blah, blah, yada, yada, can anyone convince me to give it another try and explain what options that I might have?

Just went back to the OP's post. I still strongly disagree. It's very matter of fact. Hardly a tantrum. I guess our perspectives differ greatly. 

@anneglubis Ok. So if we grant that some fake chat bot evaded the Fan blogs verification measure, the next debate is does it matter? Cancellations do happen because RCCL will chase the dollar, it's good to know and talk about. Right? Seems we drove out a lot of "real" experiences and ways to deal with a cruise canceled by RCCL

Oh sure yes.  Lessons are being learned.  For me, I learned about charters. I think I've been invited to one, now that I understand what they are. I haven't had a cruise cancelled or been denied boarding due to overbooking yet. 

And I didn't mean to suggest the discussion on rccl business practices stop. I literally just wanted to know if we settled that weird business about the OP question. It's all I was invested in.

I find myself getting into these philosophical convos with hubby all the time. He likes to consider issues theoretically. I like to solve one concrete instance, then maybe root cause, but not before. 

So I wanted some closure on that concrete OP question. Having that, I'll step away while y'all work out the theory. Seriously, no judgement. Hubby is over here talking about the war in Ukraine right now. I need to find a different post on here to engage in. Love this site!

37 minutes ago, anneglubis said:

I find myself getting into these philosophical convos with hubby all the time. He likes to consider issues theoretically. I like to solve one concrete instance, then maybe root cause, but not before. 

So I wanted some closure on that concrete OP question. Having that, I'll step away while y'all work out the theory. Seriously, no judgement. Hubby is over here talking about the war in Ukraine right now. I need to find a different post on here to engage in. Love this site!

MisterZ and I call this the "What If..." game. He loves it, me not so much 😄 😄 

35 minutes ago, anneglubis said:

Oh sure yes.  Lessons are being learned.  For me, I learned about charters. I think I've been invited to one, now that I understand what they are. I haven't had a cruise cancelled or been denied boarding due to overbooking yet. 

And I didn't mean to suggest the discussion on rccl business practices stop. I literally just wanted to know if we settled that weird business about the OP question. It's all I was invested in.

Oh wow...yes that last topic is for a much different forum. Good luck! 

6 hours ago, Xaa said:

I agree with @CruiseRoyalDad that we should accept, listen to and accept all information, good or bad and process it accordingly.  Who wouldn't be mad if their cruise were cancelled for a charter?  I know I would be.

Where the OP loses me is with the "I will never give Royal Caribbean my business...".  If his goal is to avoid cruise lines that book charters and cancel anyone previously booked, then that is all cruise lines so he really means that he doesn't intend to cruise again on the outside chance he hits this inverse lottery of doom.

I feel for the guy on the charter situation.  I am skeptical that he was "never contacted".  Also skeptical that he had to "fight to get his money back".  He hasn't returned to clarify either of those points neither of which are normal for charter cancelations.

my point exactly, that is where the post became white noise for me

17 hours ago, TXcruzer said:

my point exactly, that is where the post became white noise for me

So this new cruiser has a horrible experience with a dream vacation being canceled. More than a few comment and you probably agree (but maybe not) that this is disappointing at least and very bad business practice. The next logical step is being angry with the company, vendor, seller and deciding not to patronize the vendor again. "I'll never Buy...x product from...." isn't a huge leap here. It's the reaction to the way they were treated. Let us remember this situation was verified with similar experiences from several other posters.

White noise, fine. I definitely don't/can't read every post. Seems not a good reason to sarcastically dismiss the OP because this is a fan site. 

At this point we're a week in and OP has dismissed themselves.  They were mad and wanted to vent.  They've done it.  Charters happen, hate it for the guy, but they happen.  The rest of their description around not being notified and having to fight for the refund don't pass the smell test especially in the absence of any clarification.

For me there is one other thing to consider regarding these drive-by one and done posts.  It seems to follow a script, or close to the following scenario:  He and his family were planning the vacation of a lifetime.  They had been planning for X amount of months.  Made their deposit.  Made monthly payments.  Researched every aspect of the trip.  Considered excursions.  Maybe even reserved a couple of them.  All of these things and an amazing build up of excitement about the trip until RCCL torpedos the whole thing.

It's at that point the OPs find this website?  That's a little hard for me to believe.  It seems if 8 or 15 or 20 people were so excited about their upcoming trip and were constantly on-line looking at all aspects of their upcoming trip, someone in their party would have found this website by the second or third day of researching all of the great experiences they would be having.   Someone or multiple someones from their party would have been on this site months ago asking questions and talking about how excited the group is.

But instead, it's only when the trip is cancelled that this website pops into their search?  Hard to understand.  Actually, it's hard to believe.

I say all those things and stand by them.  In this particular case, I feel a little for the OP.  I don't necessarily believe all the stuff about not being notified and poor to non existent customer service.  But being caught off guard by a cancellation is a major bummer.  I would be a little upset too.

Oh yes.  If we didn't experience it ourselves, it couldn't have happened.  🍿

Do we know this person hasn't lurked on this site long before, and never got up the nerve or had the need to join or post?

And now, knowing this site is not always kind and gentle, this poster may have proven to himself the reasons he was afraid to post earlier, and wont post again.🤣

The last time Royal chartered a ship on me was eerily similar to the OP.  That included me requesting a refund that never arrived.  When my TA looked into they had issued an FCC instead.  "Ooops.  Our bad, we see that you requested a refund.  We'll get right on that."  My TA invested hundreds of hours fighting with Royal.  Six months later, after several incorrect or partial refunds, finally I was whole. 

"We'll just give him 2/3rds of a refund and maybe he won't notice".  I noticed.

"We'll refund it in weird amounts that can't be tracked back to the payment amounts.  That way they can't figure out it's wrong". They underestimated my TA.

On 5/18/2023 at 3:43 AM, twangster said:

The last time Royal chartered a ship on me was eerily similar to the OP.  That included me requesting a refund that never arrived.  When my TA looked into they had issued an FCC instead.  "Ooops.  Our bad, we see that you requested a refund.  We'll get right on that."  My TA invested hundreds of hours fighting with Royal.  Six months later, after several incorrect or partial refunds, finally I was whole. 

"We'll just give him 2/3rds of a refund and maybe he won't notice".  I noticed.

"We'll refund it in weird amounts that can't be tracked back to the payment amounts.  That way they can't figure out it's wrong". They underestimated my TA.

Wow, that is insanely shady