Brightline train to start service from Orlando to FLL and MIA this summer

10 hours ago, Thumper44 said:

Good article, I can't wait to learn more.  My family is going from the Orlando airport to Port Canaveral this December; perhaps Brightline will be an option

In February we cruised for the first time out of Port Canaveral.  We used Go Port to get from the port to the airport.  It's a flat price of $29 a person and the signage was very clear once you got off the ship.  Seats were comfortable and even have foot rests that fold out, which we didn't notice until we were getting off the bus at the airport !

https://www.goport.com/

On 4/22/2023 at 3:39 PM, Thumper44 said:

Yeah, I must have misunderstood. I thought there was a current/future stop near Cocoa Beach.  Oh, well.  There are still lots of great options otherwise.

I think there's land purchased for a potential stop on the Space Coast somewhere...  but...  red tape and all...  maybe in a couple years.  The last I read, they're concentrating on Western FL Stops...  Tampa etc.  I guess we'll see!

• 1 month later...

Brightline just purchased some land near Space Coast Regional airport in Brevard county.

This land is north of the track from Orlando where it connects to the Florida East Coast Railway track.

Let the speculation begin!

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2023/06/05/brightline-brevard-county-land-purchase.html

image.thumb.jpeg.e12559bbcafd4270e83d2c0b405e3c0a.jpeg

They also own land in Cocoa.

https://www.mynews13.com/fl/orlando/news/2022/05/26/brightline-land-purchase-could-indicate-future-cocoa-station-down-the-tracks

10 hours ago, twangster said:

Brightline just purchased some land near Space Coast Regional airport in Brevard county.

This land is north of the track from Orlando where it connects to the Florida East Coast Railway track.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2023/06/05/brightline-brevard-county-land-purchase.html

https://www.mynews13.com/fl/orlando/news/2022/05/26/brightline-land-purchase-could-indicate-future-cocoa-station-down-the-tracks

The Titusville area land purchase is a headscratcher. That's a bit of a hike north of SR 528.  The 33 acres along Clearlake Rd west of US 1 at the 'bend' though? Another story altogether. Definitely a stay tuned moment, hopefully sooner than later.

2 hours ago, monctonguy said:

Glad to see this...we can get some good flight deals to MCO, SFB and TPA......not so much to FLL and MIA...so this is a great option!!

33 minutes ago, Baked Alaska said:

Would it be possible/advisable/low-price to take Brightline from FLL to MIA? Or would Uber be better?

Maybe rent a car would be cheaper. 

Don't forget to take into account the train ticket price.

These are One way ticket prices from Miami to Orlando.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/@MickeyViews

Captura de pantalla 2023-06-08 a la(s) 9.49.52 a.m..jpg

1 hour ago, Baked Alaska said:

Would it be possible/advisable/low-price to take Brightline from FLL to MIA? Or would Uber be better?

When we travel between the ports we use Tri-Rail.  It's very well priced, app is easy to use and many locals use it.  It's the two of us so maybe if it was a family group with small children I would choose another mode of transportation.

Will be curious to see how the full Orlando to Miami route will run. In tests, the train achieved speeds of 130 mph from OIA to just west of the 'bend' to join the Fl. East Coast tracks in Cocoa. NO grade crossings in the 35 mile segment. From Cocoa to Miami? Apparently the speeds will range likely not exceed 79 mph through cities and up to 110 mph where grade crossings are fewer. That's the problem, grade crossings. Floridians seem to struggle mightily with trains, whether as pedestrians or motorists. Brightline (since opening the Miami to West Palm segment), SunRail in Central Florida, & Tri-Rail are ranked as the deadliest passenger trains in the US per revenue mile traveled. Whether just plain ignorance driving around the gates on grade crossings or using the trains as an instrument of suicide, death investigations take longer than the estimated time to run the Orlando-Miami route in its entirety. 

Nonetheless, Brightline offers us the chance to sail on lines not offering service from Port Canaveral and perhaps some new itineraries to explore........without driving to South Florida.

Soooo. Guess we'll be experiencing Brightline sooner than later. Wife was at the pool with grandchildren yesterday, when I received an e-mail from her linking a 3 day cruise to Nassau and Coco Cay from Ft. Lauderdale (Sunday after Thanksgiving on Rhapsody). I replied asking , seriously? She replied to point out there would be a full moon during the cruise. I made the reservation for: the trip, 'premium class' on Brightline (go big or go home I guess), and a room at the Crowne Plaza close to the port.

Hopefully the train is running by then. Created an account bought the tickets and the confirmation  added a 'bus trip' to my Google Calendar in addition to the train departing from OIA?  Has Royal's IT met its match? 🤔

4 hours ago, TKinRock said:

It's a shame it's $79 each way, takes as long as driving, and doesn't include food. We just can't embrace high-speed rail as an auto alternative in this country. 

True. For $320 + round trip for 2, I'd rather drive down to Ft Lauderdale or Miami from where I live in Orlando next time I'm cruising out of there. I'll just leave a little earlier and take my chances on the Florida Turnpike. 

On 6/7/2023 at 10:55 AM, twangster said:

The Space Coast airport isn't even along the current tracks. It's like 5-10 miles away

We live near Port Canaveral so it's hard to justify going out of FLL, but RCL doesn't have any 7 nights not on the mega ships, and they cost more (family of 5 coming from NM and they are more expensive). Soooo, we will go the day before, stay on the beach, and get this vaca started!

Does anybody have a cruise compass from the Adventure OTS eastern Caribbean? 

• 3 months later...

Based on past history I thought they might go as little as a week, and certainly not more than a month, before they had the first incident of hitting a pedestrian or a vehicle. Ended up being less than 1 day, as a pedestrian was hit in Delray Beach by a bright Line train today, uffff! Sometimes I really hate being right... 

12 hours ago, bluer101 said:

Brightline has had many incidents hitting people. We live very close to the Boca Raton station and still have not taken it for a ride. 

The vast majority of the time when a train hits a person/car/truck, the train is not at fault.  Perhaps Brightline should invest in some educational advertising on the local radio/tv stations though?

4 hours ago, Atlantix2000 said:

The vast majority of the time when a train hits a person/car/truck, the train is not at fault.  Perhaps Brightline should invest in some educational advertising on the local radio/tv stations though?

Why should they do that when it's not the trains fault? You can't fix stupid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iHWqdlMW2E

The Southbound train from Orlando had to abruptly slow twice, once because a semi was straddling a grade crossing as the train approached.

One 'pedestrian' in Delray Beach, a close call in Brevard County. What is it about people in this state and trains.

Then there was the horrible  tragedy near Plant City Saturday night (CSX freight train, not Brightline). 6 dead because the driver of the motor vehicle apparently thought he could beat the train...........

• 1 month later...

We are using Brightline from FLL to MCO after our December trip. 

Things we have noticed:

• After the opening of the MIA-MCO connection, train tickets have increased in price for 'peak' travel times.  (We have seen MCO to FLL for a SMART Fare of $119).
    • So, booking early isn't a bad idea to avoid ticket price increases. 
    • Also seems like Brightline participates in holiday sales, so it might be worth it to wait for the next holiday to see if there is a sale. 

• Secondly, if the price drops (Black Friday Sale) you do not get a refund, just a credit with Brightline.  
    • It's not the worst thing if you are like us & fly/cruise out of FL port regularly. 

• Brightline Station only connects to the MCO (Orlando) Airport. West Palm, Fort Lauderdale, and Miami are all separate stations, usually a few miles from the airport. This usually means you will still have to Uber/Lyft to your final destination after your train ride.
    • This can increase the cost of using the Brightline train & it may be cheaper to just Uber/Lyft directly to your destination. 
    • This is the case for our April trip. Flying into FLL w/ ship departing out of the port of Miami.