New Term of service

ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS

Dear Guest,

We’re making important changes to our legal terms and simplifying the process by which these terms – which are applicable to your cruise purchase and other activities, services, and products related to your cruise – are communicated to you and all our guests from around the world.

The changes will go into effect on April 12, 2023 and will apply to sailings that depart on or after that date.  

No action is required on your part. If you are currently booked on a voyage that departs on or after April 12, 2023, the new legal terms will apply. Additionally, the new legal terms will apply to those guests that book on or after April 12, 2023. 

You can find the updated legal terms here: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/guest-terms

Please carefully review the updated Cruise Ticket Contract, Booking Conditions, and Global Purchase Terms and Conditions to ensure that you understand them. Here are the most important changes: 

• The Cruise Ticket Contract or Booking Conditions applicable to your cruise purchase are now determined by your Primary Country of Residence. “Primary Country of Residence” means the country where you primarily reside at the time of booking the cruise as indicated by you, your agent, or other representative at the time of booking the cruise or at online check-in. This applies to each guest on a booking on an individual basis.
  • The forum selection, exclusive jurisdiction and choice of law provisions have been modified to and now correlate to your Primary Country of Residence or the location of your cruise itinerary. 
  • We have updated our cancellation and COVID-19 policies.

We invite you to visit our newly created Guest Terms website to review, download, or print the terms and conditions that apply to you.

We appreciate your understanding, and we look forward to seeing you aboard! 

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean International

Royal Caribbean

Royal Caribbean

©2023 Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. Ships' registry: The Bahamas.
Royal Caribbean International
1050 Caribbean Way
Miami, FL 33132 USA

Royal-CTC-U.S.-rev-02.17.23-final.pdf EN - Guest Terms and Conditions.pdf ShoreX-HealthAcknowledgement7.13.21-1Page-1.pdf

Looks like this officially washes RC's hands of any covid on board, officially treating covid like any other illness. Also looks like they're washing their hands of anything that goes wrong on a shore excursion offered by RC.

15 minutes ago, Carlos A. said:

The most interesting thing is this:

"The Cruise Ticket Contract or Booking Conditions applicable to your cruise purchase are now determined by your Primary Country of Residence"

So, different rules depending on where you live.

This really shouldn't affect the majority of passengers sailing on US-based cruises.

The email noted changes to cancellation policies, though I don't see anything different yet.

Looks like the covid refund policy got extended to the end of May instead of end of April.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/dam/royal/resources/pdf/covid-19-cancellations-and-refunds-policy.pdf

I'm looking through it and I'm taken aback by the shore excursions language.  If I'm reading it right, and I'm certainly not a lawyer... RCI holds zero financial or any other kind of liability if the tour operator doesn't deliver the excursion as described in any way.  That we'd have to pursue the independent tour operator for reimbursement.  That strikes me as very odd. 

Am I reading this correctly, and has it always been this way?  

Because if this is the case, Royal Caribbean needs to disclose the name of the independent tour operators with whom they are contracting, so we can do the research ourselves to have the proper information we need to make informed decisions.

Again, perhaps this has always been the case and I'm totally misreading, but the update has the specific portion in bold lettering, so I'm thinking it's new. I do not understand how they can offer certain excursions on their website and then have legal culpability of zero if the tour operator just throws up their hands and says I don't feel like going today.

Sitting at the doctor's office right now going through email, lol, I will cut and paste the applicable portion as soon as I can but it's in the email that went out.

45 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Looks like the covid refund policy got extended to the end of May instead of end of April.

I wonder if the end of May language is actually the "old" language....and if this recent change has anything to do with the Congress-initiated revoking of the COVID emergency.  It was due to expire (presumably) at the end of May but the recently-passed bill ended it earlier.  I'm thinking that Royal was originally going to let their COVID refund policy live until the end of May but now, since the emergency has ended sooner, they have aligned their refund policy to coincide with the new end.  Whatever....just speculating...

22 minutes ago, Levi is good said:

I'm looking through it and I'm taken aback by the shore excursions language.  If I'm reading it right, and I'm certainly not a lawyer... RCI holds zero financial or any other kind of liability if the tour operator doesn't deliver the excursion as described in any way.  That we'd have to pursue the independent tour operator for reimbursement.  That strikes me as very odd.

ROYALCARIBBEAN GROUP, ITS EMPLOYEES AND AGENTS ARE IN NO WAY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE PERFORMANCE OF THE EXCURSION AND GUESTS PARTICIPATE IN ANY ACTIVITIES OFFERED BY THE SHORE EXCURSION AT THEIR OWN RISK. ROYAL
CARIBBEAN GROUP DOES NOT UNDERTAKE TO SUPERVISE OR CONTROL THE SHORE EXCURSION OPERATORS OR THEIR EMPLOYEES, NOR DO WE MAINTAIN THEIR CONVEYANCES OF FACILITIES, AND MAKE NO REPRESENTATION,WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, REGARDING THEIR SUITABILITY OR SAFETY. IN NO EVENT SHALL ROYAL CARIBBEAN GROUP OR ANY OF ITS AFFILIATES OR SUBSIDIARIES BE LIABLE FOR ANY LOSS, DELAY, DISAPPOINTMENT, DAMAGE,INJURY, DEATH, ACCIDENT, OR OTHER HARM TO YOU, WHICH OCCURS AS ARESULT OF ANY ACTS, OMISSIONS, OR NEGLIGENCE OF ANY OF THE SHORE EXCURSION OPERATORS OR OTHER INDEPENDENT CONTRACTORS

14 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I wonder if the end of May language is actually the "old" language....and if this recent change has anything to do with the Congress-initiated revoking of the COVID emergency.  It was due to expire (presumably) at the end of May but the recently-passed bill ended it earlier.  I'm thinking that Royal was originally going to let their COVID refund policy live until the end of May but now, since the emergency has ended sooner, they have aligned their refund policy to coincide with the new end.  Whatever....just speculating...

The PDF notes an April 6 update date

51 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

ROYALCARIBBEAN GROUP, ITS EMPLOYEES AND AGENTS ARE IN NO WAY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE PERFORMANCE OF THE EXCURSION AND GUESTS PARTICIPATE IN ANY ACTIVITIES OFFERED BY THE SHORE EXCURSION AT THEIR OWN RISK. ROYAL
CARIBBEAN GROUP DOES NOT UNDERTAKE TO SUPERVISE OR CONTROL THE SHORE EXCURSION OPERATORS OR THEIR EMPLOYEES, NOR DO WE MAINTAIN THEIR CONVEYANCES OF FACILITIES, AND MAKE NO REPRESENTATION,WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, REGARDING THEIR SUITABILITY OR SAFETY. IN NO EVENT SHALL ROYAL CARIBBEAN GROUP OR ANY OF ITS AFFILIATES OR SUBSIDIARIES BE LIABLE FOR ANY LOSS, DELAY, DISAPPOINTMENT, DAMAGE,INJURY, DEATH, ACCIDENT, OR OTHER HARM TO YOU, WHICH OCCURS AS ARESULT OF ANY ACTS, OMISSIONS, OR NEGLIGENCE OF ANY OF THE SHORE EXCURSION OPERATORS OR OTHER INDEPENDENT CONTRACTORS

Thank you smokeybandit.  The piece I'm really surprised by is "make no representation... regarding their suitability or safety."  I have always assumed the excursions and activities booked through RC, whether online or at the excursions desk, had been vetted ahead of time by RC as safe and suitable.  If they now say that's not the case, then literally the only benefit of going with RC excursions vs. independent operators would be to make sure they hold the ship if I'm late getting back.  

edit:  This is evidently not new, thank you DoomSlayer.  

Edited by Levi is good

49 minutes ago, Levi is good said:

No big change here as this has been the case for a while.  Pulling up an older Cruise/Cruisetour Ticket Contract from a previous cruise, it shows they have already had provisions to limit their liability for shore excursions and shore excursions are run by independent operators.  Biggest notable change in the new version is the language around COVID and Pathogens.  From a Cruise I had earlier this year:

"6. SHORE EXCURSIONS, TOURS, FACILITIES OR OTHER TRANSPORTATION: All arrangements made for or by Passenger for transportation (other than on the Vessel) before, during or after the Cruise or CruiseTour of any kind whatsoever, as well as air arrangements, shore excursions, tours, hotels, restaurants, attractions and other similar activities or services, including all related conveyances, products or facilities, are made solely for Passenger’s convenience and are at Passenger’s risk. The providers, owners and operators of such services, conveyances, products and facilities are independent contractors and are not acting as agents or representatives of Carrier. As stated in Section 4 or as may be stated on Carrier’s website at www.RoyalCaribbean.com, Carrier’s COVID-19 Policies and Procedures will impose certain restrictions with regard to shore excursions relating to participation, location, time, eligible venues and persons with whom the Passenger may come into contact, as well as restrictions on the number of Passengers.  Passenger understands and agrees that Carrier may prohibit Passenger from going ashore in any port of call, and/or limit Passengers going ashore to specific activities or excursions authorized by Carrier, for health-related reasons in its sole discretion. Even though Carrier may collect a fee for, or otherwise profit from, making such arrangements and offers for sale shore excursions, tours, hotels, restaurants, attractions, the Land Tour and other similar activities or services taking place off the Vessel for a profit and requires that any such person or entities comply with Carrier’s COVID-19 Policies and Procedures, Carrier does not undertake to supervise or control such independent contractors or their employees, nor maintain their conveyances or facilities, and makes no representation, whether express or implied, regarding their suitability or safety. In no event shall Carrier be liable for any loss, delay, disappointment, damage, injury, death or other harm whatsoever to Passenger which occurs on or off the Vessel or the Transport as a result of any acts, omissions or negligence of any independent contractors."

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

This really shouldn't affect the majority of passengers sailing on US-based cruises.

Well, not the majority but It will affect some cruisers, like me. I don't live in the US so to me all the new legal terms will be different in some way 🫠, I just can't figure out how because my residence country isn't listed 🤷‍♂️

20 minutes ago, Carlos A. said:

Well, not the majority but It will affect some cruisers, like me. I don't live in the US so to me all the new legal terms will be different in some way 🫠, I just can't figure out how because my residence country isn't listed 🤷‍♂️

You'd then fall into "other"

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/guest-terms/cruise-ticket-contract-booking-terms-and-conditions/master-royal-booking-conditions/

43 minutes ago, Marc Van Niekerk said:

Is there a particular part of the new terms and conditions that leads you to this conclusion?

I can't find anything when I search for currency in the PDF.

I took that since terms would be based on country orgins it would be harder to book in USD since things would differ. The whole point of booking in USD is to take advantage of the policies.

I'm amazed at the inconsistencies... here are the NEW terms relating to wine:

"Guests wishing to bring personal wine or champagne onboard with them (either in their carry on or luggage) on embarkation day may do so, limited to two (2) bottles (no boxes) of 750ml each per stateroom. Only staterooms with at least one (1) guest meeting the minimum age to consume alcohol are eligible to bring bottles of wine or champagne onboard."

Gotta love aussies 😃

7 hours ago, Mike.s said:

Do the changes mean people in the UK who booked via a US travel agent will no longer be able to benefit from repricing?

That is what I took it to mean in the first paragraph of changes. 

On 4/12/2023 at 9:45 AM, Ampurp85 said:

The Cruise Ticket Contract or Booking Conditions applicable to your cruise purchase are now determined by your Primary Country of Residence. “Primary Country of Residence” means the country where you primarily reside at the time of booking the cruise as indicated by you, your agent, or other representative at the time of booking the cruise or at online check-in. This applies to each guest on a booking on an individual basis.

19 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

I took that since terms would be based on country orgins it would be harder to book in USD since things would differ. The whole point of booking in USD is to take advantage of the policies.

Fair observation.  I will note that currently when I use the website to look at cruises I can as a resident of Canada on the Canadian site still select to see prices in USD. Maybe someone from MEI can enlighten us on the TA side of things as I do use an MEI agent for bookings ( @Beci )

Edited by Marc Van Niekerk
tagging Beci

18 minutes ago, Marc Van Niekerk said:

Fair observation.  I will note that currently when I use the website to look at cruises I can as a resident of Canada on the Canadian site still select to see prices in USD. Maybe someone from MEI can enlighten us on the TA side of things as I do use an MEI agent for bookings ( @Beci )

I think you can book in USD or whatever currency, but all policies will be Canadian if you currently live in Canada. 

On 4/12/2023 at 11:39 AM, DoomSlayer said:

In no event shall Carrier be liable for any loss, delay, disappointment, damage, injury, death or other harm whatsoever to Passenger which occurs on or off the Vessel or the Transport as a result of any acts, omissions or negligence of any independent contractors."

Does this also mean the ship will not wait if the contractor is late getting you back to port?

39 minutes ago, The Fox said:

Does this also mean the ship will not wait if the contractor is late getting you back to port?

Their policy is to wait for you if you booked an excursion through Royal Caribbean unless you are significantly delayed. They will reunite you with the ship or get you home if you are significantly delayed on a Royal Caribbean excursion. 
I think the delay they are referring to is if the excursion itself doesn’t start on time or is otherwise delayed in the middle, they are not responsible for that. 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/will-the-ship-wait-for-guests-on-a-shore-excursion

12 hours ago, Marc Van Niekerk said:

Hi Marc,

So far we haven't been able to identify any reason why we cannot still assist our international clients,  but we are still investigating.   Thanks for the tag and I will update you as we get more info!