Question for Duck hiders and hunters

On my last cruise I was having dinner with the hotel manager of Radiance and he was lamenting the whole rubber duck thing. 

So I told him, Ya' think rubber ducks are bad? Next time I'm back onboard, I'm hiding rubber mice!

I'll keep you guys posted on how well this goes over....

Someone brought ducks to hide on our March 16 Adventure OTS trip.  My daughters found one right after we boarded.  They would go on duck hunting adventures throughout the cruise looking for more.  I think in total, my oldest found 4 and my the youngest found 5.  All different colors and sizes.  Somehow, my daughter found a tiny one the size of my pointer finger nail.

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, KevinJ said:

The plants in Central Park, on our last cruise I watched a couple of kids doing a thorough search and they found a couple.

We did a tour of Central Park on Oasis with the Horticulturist Team.. They very diplomatically and politely answered a passengers question concerning Duck hunting.

Simply: we wish our guest would not walk up and through our live plants to hide/search for Ducks because of the damage it does to the plants. They did not say they 

would or could stop it but just wished the guests would respect their hard work and the joy and beauty the plants provide.

We hide ducks every cruise, and while it might seem like there must be thousands of ducks being hidden I can tell you from experience that while we hide approximately 50 ducks every cruise, in a half dozen cruises our group of five people has found a grand total of three ducks all together. I have never found one, but my youngest has, my mom has, and a friend we travel with has. Definitely never feel like you're just adding to an over abundance of ducks, they are still VERY hard to find. And we're not on FB either. We just kept the duck if it's a really special one (like we've found a crocheted duck), or we rehide them for others to find if we don't want them. 

12 hours ago, michaelp1446 said:

We did a tour of Central Park on Oasis with the Horticulturist Team.. They very diplomatically and politely answered a passengers question concerning Duck hunting.

Simply: we wish our guest would not walk up and through our live plants to hide/search for Ducks because of the damage it does to the plants. They did not say they would or could stop it but just wished the guests would respect their hard work and the joy and beauty the plants provide.

i understand this. when we hide in CP, i try to hide in plain sight so that you wouldn’t have to go digging through the plant life/etc. by this i mean, i usually sit the duck on the ledge in front of the plants or next to one of the domed lights, etc.

we’re not trying to disrupt the beauty of CP 😂

6 hours ago, Va4fam said:

We've noticed ducks being placed or dropped into sculptures and artwork.  

We won't touch those, but others we find get adopted and released on our next ship.

On our last cruise we saw that people had thrown ducks on to the top of an elevator. This is the part of hiding ducks that bothers me, I’m basically giving ill behaved kids more ammunition. 

I agree that hiding the ducks or finding them and relocating them is so much fun.  I'm not on Facebook and I like being part of something without having to be on my phone.  It's fun to live in the moment and we were just on Liberty of the Seas.  Both children and adults had so much fun hiding/finding them so I would suggest to spread it out over several days instead of just hiding them the first day.

My husband spotted one at the elevators right in the circle of floor 8 in the number and we watched for a few minutes of everyone looking up but not seeing it.  Thank you to everyone who does this and I may participate now that I know I don't have to include a Facebook link.

On 3/29/2023 at 10:26 PM, asquared17 said:

we aren’t on facebook either, but made our own tags and have entirely too much fun hiding ducks and telling new folks about the trend 💚💚

2A7FC3EE-96A8-4DC2-A489-500E26A3BDB7.jpeg

Where do you get your tags printed at ?  I think I may become a duck hider  but want to include a tag so parents don't think it's a lost toy and won't keep it.

On 3/29/2023 at 1:10 PM, bobroo said:

On my last cruise I was having dinner with the hotel manager of Radiance and he was lamenting the whole rubber duck thing. 

Sounds like he is in the wrong business.  He has many more things he should be attending to other than worrying about me and my Cruise Ducks.

12 hours ago, Montemy2419 said:

Where do you get your tags printed at ?  I think I may become a duck hider  but want to include a tag so parents don't think it's a lost toy and won't keep it.

We print ours on business card stock. Avery has an online layout tool hat will let you design it however you want. then we just punch a hole and attach with small rubber bands. 

17 hours ago, Montemy2419 said:

We like to print our own and then seal them...That way we can personalize them and add a picture if the ship.

Wonder Ducks.png

On 5/15/2023 at 8:04 PM, Montemy2419 said:

i made them myself on vista print!! and then i used a hole punch to put a whole in the corner. 💚

what works best for us is if we keep ours pretty simple and then we can use the cards on multiple sailings 💚

70458389152__FC241D0D-8AE3-4530-A6A1-7B336EDB4A8C.jpeg

IMG_3082.jpeg

I ordered 20 Ducks last night on Etsy and also had a custom label designed. (The label is below but I took out the names because I try not to share too much personal online)   I'm looking forward to putting a few out maybe everyday since it's a 7 day cruise.  @asquared17 I saw that you attached them with rubber bands.  I have a lot of curling ribbon and was thinking of attaching the ribbon at home to home and then attach it once we get on the ship.  I wanted to order more ducks but thought of starting small and then next year when we do a family cruise to give the whole family ducks to hide.

Thank you to everyone for giving me great suggestions.  I know that I will leave one for our room attendant so he/she can keep or hide if they want.  Off topic but I used to bring candy from our hometown store for the room attendant.  Instead I now bring a roll of the stick on eyes for them to use when they make towel animals and it has been well received.  On our last cruise our room attendant told us that another room attendant was asking him where he got them.  He had a big smile when he said "one of my cruisers gave it to me" 🙂  It wasn't my original idea as I actually saw the roll on a cleaning cart and thought that Amazon must have them as they have everything.

Alaska post.png

15 minutes ago, Montemy2419 said:

I saw that you attached them with rubber bands.  I have a lot of curling ribbon and was thinking of attaching the ribbon at home to home and then attach it once we get on the ship.

rubber bands were easiest for us, but i love the curling ribbon idea!! your tags are so fun!! what a great design!!

The last cruise we were on my kiddo found a duck and we didn’t know what it was. She kept it as a souvenir. I’m glad to hear so many people don’t have Facebook like us. 
the website idea reminds me of geocaching. They have travel bugs that you can log and watch travel the world. Good luck if you follow through with it! 
we look forward to seeking more ducks on our next cruise.

Lol I found a duck while on NCL Prima a few weeks ago.  I am taking him on our Oasis cruise this summer and adding a tag with a comment about switching ships…not sure what it’ll say yet but something pointing towards preferring Royal over NCL!
  I have a bunch of ducks my grandkids will hide while we are sailing…they will be creating the tags before we sail!   Hoping they will also find some!

7 hours ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

Lol I found a duck while on NCL Prima a few weeks ago.  I am taking him on our Oasis cruise this summer and adding a tag with a comment about switching ships…not sure what it’ll say yet but something pointing towards preferring Royal over NCL!
  I have a bunch of ducks my grandkids will hide while we are sailing…they will be creating the tags before we sail!   Hoping they will also find some!

This sounds like so much fun to find a duck and then take him on all of your future trips/cruises.  I know locally a grocery store posts photos in their store of  people taking their branded grocery paper bag on vacation with them.  It's fun to look at the board to see how the shoppers have been traveling locally as well as International.   Ducks are so small that they can easily travel with you and have many adventures.