Royal Caribbean Blog

Eat....Drink.....Discover..... Being discontinued

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The more I thought about it today, the more I can see the point of those that booked 2020 sailings and getting just $50 in lieu of the perks. Yes, $50 is better than nothing, but it would have been a

So that's not really the bad thing...they can end any promo they want anytime. I get it.   Apparently, for those that have it booked..they are losing ALL the perks and getting a$50 OBC......

SOLUTION: If your original booking included said package prior to the change, RCCL must honor it since it is a contract. If RCCL does not honor it, the contract has been breached and at that point you

Posted Images

4 hours ago, JohnK6404 said:

Can you make the selection (through the above link) even if you booked through a travel agent or do you need to go through the agency?

Also, do you get a confirmation?

Thanks!

Yes, you can make a selection thru the above link in the post above you even if you are booked thru a TA & you did not need to go thru the TA & you do get a confirmation of you choice and that what you have chosen has been recorded.

when we sailed a year ago on oasis, we had no clue this was even a thing until we got to our room, even then we had to do some digging to figure out why we had 4 glasses...

it was not apparent during the booking at any point, didnt flag us when we bought the refreshment package that we already had a soda package.  Nothing at all.

If they wanted some sort of "credit" for this program that would encourage people to book these inside balconies, maybe they should have mentioned it somewhere...

It was a wierd program, particularly with soda and wine, things that people often buy on their own with the deluxe beverage package, which leads to varying levels of benefit.

They don't deserve much credit for all of this.....

They only changed it cause many people made enough stink and yelled and screamed and kicked about it...

Like I stated originally.....they don't care about 1 customer or 10.....many more need to complain to be even treated fairly in all this.

What would have made Royal look good is if they had announced this plan originally......not after they tried to pull a fast one.

I'm glad that RC made the change and decided to do what we all felt was the right thing to do from the beginning.

I would feel much better about RC if they had done the right thing at first, instead of being forced into it by bad publicity. 

Sometimes I think with all of the talk about dream cruises, exotic ports, our favorite dining options and so forth, we forget that RC is a company that's in business to make money. 

That is their bottom line. They made the change to benefit themselves in the long run, while appeasing us in the short run. 

RCCL (parent company) must be doing some overall cost-cutting measures, because shenanigans like this haven't been limited to RCI cruises. Celebrity late last week announced they were eliminating complimentary in-room movies and would now be charging $14.99 for any in-room movie rental.

As with this event, there was a serious public outcry over having that perk removed (even though I'm guessing only a fraction of a percent of all passengers actually take advantage of it), and this morning it was relayed on the Cruise Radio News podcast that Celebrity reversed the decision and free rentals were reinstated.

I imagine it's costing X no more in licensing fees to get those movie rentals available than it costs RCI (if it's not all lumped under the RCCL umbrella); and I'd be stunned if those fees aren't already built into the cruise fare like any other in-room perk. Were they actually expecting to make any significant money off people willing to pay what is an exorbitant fee for one of those rentals? But they went and did it anyway, only to have to undo it when the expected hue and cry came out.

15 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

RCCL (parent company) must be doing some overall cost-cutting measures, because shenanigans like this haven't been limited to RCI cruises. Celebrity late last week announced they were eliminating complimentary in-room movies and would now be charging $14.99 for any in-room movie rental.

As with this event, there was a serious public outcry over having that perk removed (even though I'm guessing only a fraction of a percent of all passengers actually take advantage of it), and this morning it was relayed on the Cruise Radio News podcast that Celebrity reversed the decision and free rentals were reinstated.

I imagine it's costing X no more in licensing fees to get those movie rentals available than it costs RCI (if it's not all lumped under the RCCL umbrella); and I'd be stunned if those fees aren't already built into the cruise fare like any other in-room perk. Were they actually expecting to make any significant money off people willing to pay what is an exorbitant fee for one of those rentals? But they went and did it anyway, only to have to undo it when the expected hue and cry came out.

You're right @JLMoran, I'm sure a lot of the people complaining never watched the "complimentary" movies, but still, it always look bad when you start to charge for something that was once free. Bad optics. Regardless of the reasons.

32 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Celebrity late last week announced they were eliminating complimentary in-room movies and would now be charging $14.99 for any in-room movie rental.

... and this morning it was relayed on the Cruise Radio News podcast that Celebrity reversed the decision and free rentals were reinstated.

Here's an idea. They can keep offering the complimentary in-room movies but just offer a few titles:

1.  Titanic
2.  Poseidon Adventure (1972)
3.  Poseidon (2006)
4.  Speed 2: Cruise Control
5.  The Perfect Storm
6.  Captain Phillips
7.  Life of Pi
8.  Adrift
9.  Under Siege