Jump to content
twangster

Cruise Planner Sale July 15, 2019

Recommended Posts

Seeing some price drops on the UDP (dining) and some excursions are cheaper (although some went up).  Minor changes on some DX and refreshment packages but inconsistent across different cruises.

Overall saved over a hundred on excursions across a number of sailings.  Some were $8 cheaper, some $40 cheaper.  

Cruise planner access is cranky for me, sometimes taking a few attempts to get in.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

C’mon Royal!! Where’s that intern with another $18 sale for all 2019 sailings?!?

 

1 minute ago, CruisinUpinLife said:

I too am looking for that intern!

I suspect the intern is triple checking everything, potentially at their new job somewhere else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Deluxe Beverage package for my 9/21/19 Anthem sailing just went down to $49 plus I used my $75 OBC.  I am happy 😃.  Maybe it'll go down again maybe not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MaryS said:

The Deluxe Beverage package for my 9/21/19 Anthem sailing just went down to $49 plus I used my $75 OBC.  I am happy 😃.  Maybe it'll go down again maybe not.

This gives me some hope. Your sailing is a month before mine, so maybe I’ll see the DBP go to $49 in another month / around Labor Day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If prices are going to drop, how far out do they usually drop the most?

I'm probably going to have to wait until probably July 4th 2020 "sale"  for our Oct 2020 cruise to see any substantial price drop if any.

Prices have been up and down like $3 - $10 daily on pkgs lately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, FManke said:

If prices are going to drop, how far out do they usually drop the most?

I'm probably going to have to wait until probably July 4th 2020 "sale"  for our Oct 2020 cruise to see any substantial price drop if any.

Prices have been up and down like $3 - $10 daily on pkgs lately.

When it comes to drink packages there is no pattern or logic.  They are largely influenced by booking trends.  If not enough people on a specific sail date have purchased drink plans, they might go down.  If sales are strong for a specific sail date, they won't come down.  

The danger in waiting for a beverage package price drop is that it may never occur.  Once sales cross a threshold, prices for that sail date will never come down again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, twangster said:

When it comes to drink packages there is no pattern or logic.  They are largely influenced by booking trends.  If not enough people on a specific sail date have purchased drink plans, they might go down.  If sales are strong for a specific sail date, they won't come down.  

The danger in waiting for a beverage package price drop is that it may never occur.  Once sales cross a threshold, prices for that sail date will never come down again.

I've already booked our dining and beverage pkgs, as well as a couple of spa treatments. Just waiting for them to come down to rebook. If not, it's ok. I'm happy with the price as is, but would be happier if the price went down!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, twangster said:

Seeing some price drops on the UDP (dining) and some excursions are cheaper (although some went up).  Minor changes on some DX and refreshment packages but inconsistent across different cruises.

Overall saved over a hundred on excursions across a number of sailings.  Some were $8 cheaper, some $40 cheaper.  

Cruise planner access is cranky for me, sometimes taking a few attempts to get in.  

For my 8 September cruise the sale price of the Deluxe Beverage Package was $46, but he excursions I already booked were about $2 more each, say 2-4% more.  More evidence of "new math"....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ChessE4 said:

For my 8 September cruise the sale price of the Deluxe Beverage Package was $46, but he excursions I already booked were about $2 more each, say 2-4% more.  More evidence of "new math"....

Excursion also follow supply and demand practices.  

The last time excursions went on sale I grabbed a dozen or so across a handful of cruises.  Many of those were booked at rock bottom prices.  They went back up in price after that sale until this sale came along.  In some cases maybe I was the only person who had booked excursions in New Zealand 7 months from now.  Some came down in price and I saved even more.  in other cases it's possible other guests also jumped in during the last sale.  If an excursion is half booked they aren't going to deeply discount it this far out.  It went on sale just not as deeply discounted as it was when I booked.   

I keep a spreadsheet with my excursions listed and I check them frequently which is how I found this sale.  I have a total of 19 excursions booked right now and saved over $120 from this sale.  However not all of my excursion dropped below the price I previously paid.  

I don't see this "new math" but simply as supply and demand.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, FManke said:

If prices are going to drop, how far out do they usually drop the most?

I'm probably going to have to wait until probably July 4th 2020 "sale"  for our Oct 2020 cruise to see any substantial price drop if any.

Prices have been up and down like $3 - $10 daily on pkgs lately.

We are sailing oct 2020, what ship are you on?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, twangster said:

Excursion also follow supply and demand practices.  

The last time excursions went on sale I grabbed a dozen or so across a handful of cruises.  Many of those were booked at rock bottom prices.  They went back up in price after that sale until this sale came along.  In some cases maybe I was the only person who had booked excursions in New Zealand 7 months from now.  Some came down in price and I saved even more.  in other cases it's possible other guests also jumped in during the last sale.  If an excursion is half booked they aren't going to deeply discount it this far out.  It went on sale just not as deeply discounted as it was when I booked.   

I keep a spreadsheet with my excursions listed and I check them frequently which is how I found this sale.  I have a total of 19 excursions booked right now and saved over $120 from this sale.  However not all of my excursion dropped below the price I previously paid.  

I don't see this "new math" but simply as supply and demand.  

Yep, the spreadsheet is the way to go to for an accurate price comparison.  My point is that you can't rely on the quoted percentage discount, except perhaps as a flag to look more closely.  Your system takes a little work but has netted you positive results.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ChessE4 said:

Yep, the spreadsheet is the way to go to for an accurate price comparison.  My point is that you can't rely on the quoted percentage discount, except perhaps as a flag to look more closely.  Your system takes a little work but has netted you positive results.

What I do takes longer but is the same thing.  I pull up the excursion, see the price, them go back to my calendar on the planet and see the price  I bought at... If it's higher, I cancel and immediately rebook.  The spreadsheet with all the amounts would save me an extra trip with each excursion.  Jane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Prices really don't seem to have any rhyme or reason. For my May 2020 sailing the drink package shows 20% off per person at $57. Last week it showed no discount and it was $54 per person. I got it for $48/per person on our 7 day Allure cruise last month. Hopefully it drops down to that range again because it was definitely worth it. The UDP is $118/per person which seems like a pretty solid deal for 5 nights. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...