Coco Cay Construction

1 minute ago, monctonguy said:

Its a process....was supposed to be open for Oct for the pier originally?!..been pushed back a few times....doesn't look like much was done since I was there in Oct......I say its April at this point for sure....

Yep it's a process, a slow process.  I worked construction for 25 years, it's hard to tell if the slow pace is because of the Bohemian government or the General Contractor.  

37 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

It looks like they're making more progress inside the fence than they are on the pier !

I agree, quite a few buildings in progress.  I did hear some activity behind the fence but not a lot.  I did hear that they limit construction when guests are on the island.

18 hours ago, monctonguy said:

Its a process....was supposed to be open for Oct for the pier originally?!..been pushed back a few times....doesn't look like much was done since I was there in Oct......I say its April at this point for sure....

Really doesn't look like much significant progress on the pier since we were there on Enchantment last July.  I wouldn't be surprised if it's summer 2019 before it is completed.  And given that the pier is probably required to bring materials in for the main construction on the island, … well... 

I suspect they are going easy on the pier because there is no point finishing a pier if the land area where the pier ends isn't ready for guests.  

Until the construction on land is to the point that guests can get back to opposite side of the lagoon, a completed pier is a moot point.

The two areas of construction, the pier and the land where the pier ends are bound together.  They are likely focusing more resources where it's needed most at this point - the land.  

We'll be stopping at Cococay in May 2019. I haven't booked any excursions for that stop because I have no confidence any particular section will be finished. The pier is important to us because my wife does not like to tender. If the pier is not ready yet, we will stay on the ship.

On 1/5/2019 at 9:30 AM, DDemuth said:

Really doesn't look like much significant progress on the pier since we were there on Enchantment last July.  I wouldn't be surprised if it's summer 2019 before it is completed.  And given that the pier is probably required to bring materials in for the main construction on the island, … well... 

I was there in July on Enchantment as well and thought the same thing when I saw these pics!

35 minutes ago, RMC said:

Anthem of the Seas-Jan. 26-Feb. 3. Is there a chance that the ship won't be able to stop here?

There is always a chance of missing any stop on a cruise, with those stops being replaced with other stops or sea days.  Weather is the most frequent reason for a missed stop and it is much more of an issue for tendered ports than ones with docks.  Royal estimates that about 10% of stops to Coco Cay are cancelled currently, once the pier opens that number should drop to 1-2% (based on how often DCL has to skip Castaway Cay).

TL;DR Yes, there is a small, but not insignificant chance you will miss Coco Cay.

Welcome to the forums!

On 1/7/2019 at 8:17 AM, monctonguy said:

It wont be.....be very surprised if the pier is and defn not the changes to the island. Best case is you get to tender in.....still a great time!

Well that sucks to hear, considering it's supposed to be 'somewhat ready' by May 2019. I wanted to see the new 'Perfect Day'

On 1/7/2019 at 8:17 AM, monctonguy said:

It wont be.....be very surprised if the pier is and defn not the changes to the island. Best case is you get to tender in.....still a great time!

February 2020 is over a year away, I’d be surprised if it all wasn’t done with possibly the exception of the final phase.  I can purchase all the first phase things (water park, balloon, etc) for my May ‘19 sailing so I’m betting they are confident on the dates for that.  

Just now, yzfmik said:

I can purchase all the first phase things (water park, balloon, etc) for my May ‘19 sailing so I’m betting they are confident on the dates for that.  

People have been able to book those things for quite a while.  It is in no way indicative of RCCL's confidence in something being open, all they have to do is refund the money if things aren't open.

On 1/12/2019 at 8:01 AM, NS8VN said:

People have been able to book those things for quite a while.  It is in no way indicative of RCCL's confidence in something being open, all they have to do is refund the money if things aren't open.

AKA an interest free loan using your money.  

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 10:52 AM, yzfmik said:

February 2020 is over a year away, I’d be surprised if it all wasn’t done with possibly the exception of the final phase.  I can purchase all the first phase things (water park, balloon, etc) for my May ‘19 sailing so I’m betting they are confident on the dates for that.  

Sorry..I missed the 2020 year...I was thinking 2019....defn should be by 2020!!!

On 1/12/2019 at 10:01 AM, NS8VN said:

True, but considering how upset customers would be, I am still pretty sure they are confident in the completion dates.  The pier is one thing, but not finishing the phases on time will result in a loss of revenue. 

Any construction delays cost any business doing construction a hit to revenue.  The pier delay is costing them money.  

It’s the islands.  Nothing completes on time.  Delays are inevitable.  When I heard May 2019 my first though was that’s too aggressive, it’ll never be complete by then.  

Now we’ll be lucky to have a pier by May 2019.  

On 1/12/2019 at 9:52 AM, yzfmik said:

We will also sail in May ‘19 and I had thought that surely it would be completed by then. Although construction timing is difficult to predict, I hope that their confidence is warranted. Would be nice to have the pier done so that it’s a faster in and out!

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 3:46 PM, yzfmik said:

True, but considering how upset customers would be, I am still pretty sure they are confident in the completion dates.  The pier is one thing, but not finishing the phases on time will result in a loss of revenue. 

Consider the ships (See Harmony, Empress, Liberty, Adventure) that they launched out of drydock and into paying service while still actively working on them and then tell me again how much they worry about paying customers being upset if they miss their dates ... hey you still went to CocoCay it just didn't have all the cool stuff we told you it would ... have a $50 OBC that you have to give right back to us if you use it :)

I fully expect to have limited options but hopefully a pier to use in May and June when I am scheduled to be there.

7 hours ago, jticarruthers said:

Consider the ships (See Harmony, Empress, Liberty, Adventure) that they launched out of drydock and into paying service while still actively working on them and then tell me again how much they worry about paying customers being upset if they miss their dates ... hey you still went to CocoCay it just didn't have all the cool stuff we told you it would ... have a $50 OBC that you have to give right back to us if you use it ?

I fully expect to have limited options but hopefully a pier to use in May and June when I am scheduled to be there.

All true for sure.  If the waterpark isn't ready yet the 2nd week of May, it's really not a deal breaker for me.  We are celebrating our 25th anniversary.....I'll rent a beach bed and have a very relaxing and perfect day!

Not really construction related...

Happened to notice this blip in the Cruise Planner about Voom on CocoCay for a May 2019 sailing on Symphony.

Your VOOM SURF + STREAM Voyage Package - 1 Device is available at Perfect Day at CocoCay for you to enjoy.

Not listed on the Mariner GC sailing (March 2019).

396373860_SmartSelect_20190126-170732_SamsungInternet-1057x795.thumb.jpg.b7a1335ffbb2c10101b4df1b220c8bee.jpg

346299467_SmartSelect_20190126-170118_SamsungInternet-1044x858.thumb.jpg.59a530258f16c16d72bf682eda28ea7f.jpg

22 hours ago, cookie10* said:

Regret I don't give a D-- about the pier cause we are taking our granddaughter on this specific cruise because of the Perfect Day. July 19???

Honestly, I have had a couple of bad experiences so my opinion is probably on the pessimistic end of the range but i wouldnt count on it.

My guess is they are clinging desperately to "may 31st is in may right so we dont have to change the date yet" in their current thinking and i fully expect to get refunded for the zipline prepurchase on our June booking ... July for me is right on the edge of maybe you get lucky and they are good to go but i wouldnt count on it.

I think the pier is what a year behind schedule now? Sounds like they are putting a lot of effort into the island side stuff so hopefully i am wrong.

The pier is the bigger issue to me since my experience at CocoCay has been 50% missed the island and just did donuts in the ocean since we couldnt get in on the tenders ... docking and walking ashore will get me to about 90% on my satisfaction level.