twangster

Adventure OTS, 13 Night Snowbird Migration Quebec to Ft. Lauderdale Oct. 8, 2018

Your bagel post has me curious...1- I live in NY and never had good bagels out of the metro/Long Island area. 2- I went to school very close to the NY/Canada border and went to Montreal quite a bit (drinking age was 19) for fun and have never heard of bagels being a thing there. They looks really good.

12 minutes ago, ellcee said:

Your bagel post has me curious...1- I live in NY and never had good bagels out of the metro/Long Island area. 2- I went to school very close to the NY/Canada border and went to Montreal quite a bit (drinking age was 19) for fun and have never heard of bagels being a thing there. They looks really good.

Wood fired bagels and smoked meat.  A Montreal tradition since I was in high school and visited the area.  Yum.

I'm looking at the photos of your room, and trying to figure out if there is actually any space to walk between the bed and sofa or bed and desk so you can get into or out of it without barking your shins on either; or having to just sit on the end of the bed, lift your legs, and then swing to the side. Could just the perspective of the photos or effect of using a wide-angle lens, but it looks like you've got maybe 3 inches of clearance for each of them! 😲

2 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

I'm looking at the photos of your room, and trying to figure out if there is actually any space to walk between the bed and sofa or bed and desk so you can get into or out of it without barking your shins on either; or having to just sit on the end of the bed, lift your legs, and then swing to the side. Could just the perspective of the photos or effect of using a wide-angle lens, but it looks like you've got maybe 3 inches of clearance for each of them! 😲

I take pictures as soon as cabins open and before I explode my suitcase all over the room.  Yes, it is tight.  In reality I ask them to separate the beds which was done later for me.  Much better access that way.  This cabin has two bunks that lower from the ceiling.  In theory it sleeps four but that would be cozy.

Out into the city I walked along the waterfront in the direction of the Chateaux Frontenac.  There I came across some inviting shops and restaurants set into old stone buildings.  

11VGGEA.jpg

NgSpKWK.jpg

3Sqgsqz.jpg

NLtetAR.jpg

Fall decorations in place.  Note you can see the bow of the ship between the buildings for reference to location.

gDAMmYU.jpg

o7y8zT9.jpg

The crowds began to thicken.  I must be on the right path.

NQWcK2s.jpg

J6VD4oQ.jpg

I was trying to find the Funicular and it looks like I succeeded.

F1AhsNt.jpg

The funicular is $3.50 CAD.  They don't accept credit cards and U.S. cash is taken at par without any exchange rate provided.

Ov7PN7E.jpg

c59kPoY.jpg

ODAQLFV.jpg

xvGxkuv.jpg

DySRq6E.jpg

The Funicular station at the top.

QB9Iu3j.jpg

With that I was at the base of Chateaux Frontenac, a luxury hotel.

PzJcwKL.jpg

l21FbPH.jpg

Samuel De Champlain who discovered the area for France in the late 1500s.

TvdII8e.jpg

QYXawfW.jpg

Wonderful views of the St. Lawrence River.

3IwF4E9.jpg

LKL8B6V.jpg

GVSmIFl.jpg

fpvY3zN.jpg

ry9SvDX.jpg

i8vEgmP.jpg

x7hXuA0.jpg

PafjQIL.jpg

xSZSGwX.jpg

QjprczD.jpg

The Consulate General of the United States:

72sIs9I.jpg

H3amWIV.jpg

AtIjZMf.jpg

There is a paved path up the hill or these stairs

2c2Iodi.jpg

The Plains of Abraham where the British defeated the French in 1759 that led to this becoming a British territory.

hBXO7Vr.jpg

The paved path up to this area.

CopA2Gu.jpg

9XV8T8r.jpg

The imposing cannon of the Citadell de Quebec.  More on this in the next post.

JFeUif4.jpg

Some great photos as always....haven't been to Quebec City in over 20 years...always travel south for vacations!...but this makes me want to look at doing some kinda NE/Canada cruise in the near future for sure...would be interesting seeing these places from this perspective......cant wait to see/hear more about the cruise.....

The Citadelle de Quebec was built by the British with the original goal of preventing the French from trying to take this area back.  As it turns out it was a different enemy that tried unsuccessfully twice to take it.  The Americans.   

It is a UNESCO World Heritage site and remains today an active base for the Canadian Armed Forces for the Royal 22e Regiment for French speaking troops.  It also has a museum for over 300 years of military history and is secondary residence for Governor General of Canada.  

DACyLpF.jpg

6MttnY3.jpg

8MK23tF.jpg

3FI1BKb.jpg

Since it is an active base you are required to participate in a guided tour at a cost of $16 CAD or around $13 USD.  

The Dalhousie gate to the old city is the only gate in it's original condition.  Other gates I have taken photos of were modified for automobile traffic.   

WTBqzec.jpg

This is how the gates really were back in the day, minus the speed bumps.

6EVrWWA.jpg

Je Me Souviens is the official motto of the Province of Quebec.  It translates to "I remember" and pay homage to those that served and gave their lives in the defense of Canada.  It's greater meaning includes not forgetting the ancient past and traditions.

Q80gena.jpg

This building served as a military hospital.

PLUcnEK.jpg

CF1YtAJ.jpg

m5YfFdg.jpg

wauxXIY.jpg

The Governor General of Canada's second official residence (the first is in the nations capital in Ottawa). 

IyEtyog.jpg

j6sEddU.jpg

0RGifEd.jpg

x8vjUZh.jpg

xhdI6QH.jpg

wKI7lhT.jpg

zG2h4Ff.jpg

LYv5wRf.jpg

1Sh5oBx.jpg

The Armstrong Gun or cannon was technologically advanced for its day in the 1800s and reaching 2 to 3 miles made it a formidable weapon (for the period).  It's placement here meant they could pick off enemy ships long before the enemy could ever attempt to fire their cannons back.

tEdeZJv.jpg

DqK8Pif.jpg

djO4Etq.jpg

80CMvya.jpg

IqaaYme.jpg

wKvlkyr.jpg

jtQPlTR.jpg

The tour included a couple of building where we were not allowed to take pictures.

5ZWr548.jpg

fPYA8Ot.jpg

AykHNA4.jpg

v4AKrB2.jpg

All in all it was a very interesting tour that provides a lot insight into Canada's history.

Leaving the Citadell and I found myself at a familiar gate that I took pictures of during my walk from the hotel the previous evening.

hSnXRYJ.jpg

Finding my way back to the ship is much like in San Juan.  Find the general direction and walk downhill.

YgL5lGU.jpg

bHc5N4g.jpg

Quebec City has a European flair.  Avoid the jet lag and come here instead.

ag6yQPN.jpg

9EmcCV5.jpg

V4wWcMK.jpg

eY6rrus.jpg

p2HbzTF.jpg

xrV4dKS.jpg

FYmR1H2.jpg

N0S7Mvk.jpg

Back to the Chateaux Frontenac.

JBBLZXo.jpg

fKhCIdH.jpg

H9k24oJ.jpg

yLayzHk.jpg

dKJ7GAt.jpg

YgMMkoN.jpg

d5Xo9rR.jpg

Found this spot I may revisit once it's dark for a night photo of the ship.

0s1Hvuq.jpg

ka5oeWs.jpg

Note to self.  Don't get a balcony on the starboard side.

qZB2bCk.jpg

754HwSS.jpg

gJXQhJH.jpg

hPzXBYN.jpg

Km0IDMX.jpg

At this point the Silver Wind was departing on it's way to Montreal tomorrow.

6eV7xxn.jpg

There were two or three motorcoaches at the terminal.  It seems people were still arriving approaching 6pm.  

RV63EN5.jpg

Once through security transit guests like myself could skip the check in lines.

MMCavz3.jpg

The waiting area used at this time by off-duty crew checking email and making calls home.

kokz3Ny.jpg

Just now, twangster said:

Here is something new, at least for me.

Adv Day 1-136.jpg

The old "give 'em a free taste and they'll be happy to pay for more" strategy?

Either that, or someone in their promo department saw your spreadsheet and said, "Awwww, fudge!!"; and now your "wait until day 2" strategy is just part and parcel of every sailing. 😁

Some other ships photos as I returned from my afternoon walk.

Bzaw56H.jpg

Free Sushi in the Promenade!

mLKw6mt.jpg

I knew it was getting dark and wanted to catch some twilight or golden hour city photos despite the rain that was now falling.  Our guide at the Citadell has said rain was moving in.  He was right.

6C8XJiZ.jpg

mqaGhLw.jpg

guGY75g.jpg

opVLCzA.jpg

The Viking Star also in port today was making its departure.  It was docked around the corner way past the Citadell.

SucQ8QW.jpg

Yikes, I'm late for my 6pm MTD reservation.  Better get moving.

3 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

The old "give 'em a free taste and they'll be happy to pay for more" strategy?

Either that, or someone in their promo department saw your spreadsheet and said, "Awwww, fudge!!"; and now your "wait until day 2" strategy is just part and parcel of every sailing. 😁

I think it only applied to the full voyage plans.  Maybe Voom sales were slow in the cruise planner so they pulled this out of the closet.

If they keep this up, I'm going to need to revamp my spreadsheet.  

Dinner in the My Time Dining room.  

I'm not sure I'll do this for all 13 nights, but here is the day one menu.

o7qBqTW.jpg

Caesar Salad:

WYfAgw9.jpg

Prime Rib

SzzujNz.jpg

I got the evil eye from a Pinnacle (proudly wearing his pin) who apparently didn't like me taking pictures of my food.  He raised his arms in the air for at least a minute and glared at me.  Oh well...

No dessert.  I can't do 13 nights of desserts.

After dinner I used my 3 happy drinks at various bars.  The Diamond lounge was a zoo.  As I stood in line for a drink I overheard speculation there are 85 Pinnacles on board and something like 1,200 Diamonds.  I may attend the top tier event later in the cruise to confirm.

It was beginning to dawn on me why they call this the "Snowbird Migration" cruise.  In my fifties I am one of the youngest on board.  I realized I haven't seen one kid yet.  I'm basically cruising with all of my parents friends and they are all Diamond or higher.

A light rain had set in.  I headed up to deck 12 to see what I could capture.

LGw4cKW.jpg

VqV7v5U.jpg

uyP7oDx.jpg

Time to find a local bar with good local beer.

2ai3Rzn.jpg

daUtMCj.jpg

Calling @mpoole3...

EzvuD68.jpg

Midnight approaching it was time to head to bed.

HIpeztT.jpg

pRA8bw5.jpg

Day 2 - Quebec City

Still in place I woke and worked for a bit.  Around 9:30am I headed to the Windjammer.  My plan was to avoid the peak breakfast crowd. 

Outside was gloomy which resulted in everyone staying on the ship and all of my parent's friends had parked themselves in the Windjammer.  Playing cards, using laptops, talking, a few were eating.

The only seat was at the bar in the Windjammer where a few other's had resorted to eating.  

A scan of the room confirmed my earlier age observation.  I'm a baby on this cruise.  I think I saw some old ladies checking me out.  At least I know I can out run their husband's... walker.  Not sure about scooters, those things can go pretty fast!

I'm glad I spent as much time as I did exploring Quebec City yesterday.  Today wasn't nearly as nice. 

NolTDOc.jpg

5 minutes ago, twangster said:

Day 2 - Quebec City

A scan of the room confirmed my earlier age observation.  I'm a baby on this cruise.  I think I saw some old ladies checking me out.  At least I know I can out run their husband's... walker.  Not sure about scooters, those things can go pretty fast!

Haha...I have enjoyed a couple of comments you have made about the demographics on the ship. Sounds like this cruise is defn catering to a more mature crowd...

That might be the only thing that might deter me from one of these unless I went with a few friends or another couple at least....but the stops and the scenery would be amazing for sure.

Just now, monctonguy said:

Haha...I have enjoyed a couple of comments you have made about the demographics on the ship. Sounds like this cruise is defn catering to a more mature crowd...

That might be the only thing that might deter me from one of these unless I went with a few friends or another couple at least....but the stops and the scenery would be amazing for sure.

I don't think all cruises here are this way, but it's two weeks long in October when few working types can or will use that much vacation for a cruise.  Plus it's one way.  It's marketed as a "Snowbird Migration"  so that alone says a lot.  

That's okay, I hope I can keep on cruising as long as some of my fellow guests are.

I'm sure there are some younger types on board.   

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Here is something new, at least for me.

Adv Day 1-136.jpg

A free day of Voom Surf and Stream if a full voyage plan is purchased onboard on boarding day.

I've never seen that either. Probably offering since everyone has cell coverage, so doubt they sell many Voom packages on day 1

2 hours ago, twangster said:

After dinner I used my 3 happy drinks at various bars.  The Diamond lounge was a zoo.  As I stood in line for a drink I overheard speculation there are 85 Pinnacles on board and something like 1,200 Diamonds.  I may attend the top tier event later in the cruise to confirm.

It was beginning to dawn on me why they call this the "Snowbird Migration" cruise.  In my fifties I am one of the youngest on board.  I realized I haven't seen one kid yet.  I'm basically cruising with all of my parents friends and they are all Diamond or higher 

Gee The Flowrider Must Be Like A Ghost Town