twangster

Adventure OTS, 13 Night Snowbird Migration Quebec to Ft. Lauderdale Oct. 8, 2018

5 minutes ago, twangster said:

I was a bit surprised when 25-30% off the people got up and walked out once they sensed his speech wrapping up.  Indeed this is a strange cruise.

Indeed!

I actually loved the stats. Is there a way to find out these Top Tier numbers and top cruiser on any cruise?

Just now, GoodSmith said:

I actually loved the stats. Is there a way to find out these Top Tier numbers and top cruiser on any cruise?

Not that I'm aware of.  I doubt it's something Royal wants to be public knowledge else it gives the competition too much insight into their customer base.

@twangster Really enjoying your live blog from Adventure! I know you have mentioned that you will be on the Symphony transatlantic... any chance you will be live blogging that one too? I am really hoping you wouldn't mind sharing all the must-do's on the ship. Ive been binging on youtube vlogs, tours, and reading the live blogs from Symphony but a large number of the live b/vlogs focus on the port stops vs ship life. 

I am going to be on Symphony OTS on the Nov 24 sailing which is the one directly after after Matt and the group cruise's sailing so I will not have the opportunity to listen to Matt's review before embarkation. Matt mentioned he normally doesn't upload cruise compasses daily and it makes total sense, he should be having fun his (and the RC Blog) family! 

@Lovetocruise2002 on periscope mentioned I should ask you if you wouldn't mind uploading for when you're on the transatlantic. In your experience, have these repositioning cruises been pretty much the same setup for onboard activities to the "regular" sailings? 

@TheaFromCDA - I haven't decided if I'll be live blogging Symphony.  There are several cruise friends on that one and I'm not sure I'll have the same time to dedicate to blogging.  

Longer cruises do deviate from a normal 7 night rotation.  There are the same number of shows which is one reason the entertainment cast likes the longer cruises - they perform the same number of times so they have more 'down' days on longer cruises.  That being said, the shows are often the same but offered at different times.  

22 minutes ago, TheaFromCDA said:

@Lovetocruise2002 on periscope mentioned I should ask you if you wouldn't mind uploading for when you're on the transatlantic.

Sorry @TheaFromCDA, I totally got mixed up on Periscope earlier.  That's what happens when you are trying to make dinner while watching a scope and watching 4 kids 🙃

I should have known better that the TA was not the same as a regular sailing.  

Day 6 - Halifax, continued...

Our progress so far...

ekdMBKR.jpg

Inside the cruise terminal at Pier 21 are a number of shops offering local crafts and other souvenirs. 

jIk4xFC.jpg

Halifax and Pier 21 has a lot of history and in the past this very pier served to be the point of arrival for many who immigrated to Canada.  In that sense it's Canada's version of Ellis Island in NYC being the primary seaport used for transatlantic crossings for much of the 1900's.

q9MGmvC.jpg

d9SCWNN.jpg

Plenty of hop on, hop off buses which if walking isn't your thing are a great way to self-explore the city.

HRbAFLO.jpg

Halifax is another old Canadian city with lots of history.  It was the birth place of Samuel Cunard whose parents immigrated here in 1783.  As a businessman he formed a steamship line that would later be known as the Cunard Line sailing from Liverpool, England.

bWgBsVB.jpg

A memorial to woman who volunteered in a variety of roles including during the war efforts.

PgA4zkM.jpg

"The Emigrant" - In many cases men left their families in their home country to pursue work in the new world. later sending money home to them.

nQnHILk.jpg

Given the role that Halifax has played as a seaport it is also one of Canada's largest Navy ports.

A memorial to those Navy ships and crew lost in World War 2.

7kF4HSP.jpg

3TtWUW5.jpg

This leads to a very nice Harbor walk that follows the shore.

SHHny9j.jpg

The Harbor walk continues and is home to many restaurants and shops.

kF4qYKM.jpg

xjerwpo.jpg

TQTbCM6.jpg

A Canadian Navy ship was leaving the port this morning.

OLBSpvG.jpg

A nice playground for anyone with kids can be found along the Harbor walk.

8lQn1RX.jpg

The "Last Steps Memorial Arch" is a tribute to the thousands of men who departed Halifax during World War 1 to fight in the trenches overseas.  Over the course of the war over 350,000 Canadian troops departed from Halifax. 

WQqiccO.jpg

gmB338C.jpg

A view towards the Atlantic with that Navy ship growing smaller on the horizon.

77U7Mjo.jpg

Despite it's history Halifax is a very modern and clean city.

OoZJaOZ.jpg

I9Lhb7t.jpg

City Hall.

Ih1pNcJ.jpg

j4wvQ72.jpg

One of the oldest Anglican churches in Canada.

JnaMKUF.jpg

A view up the hill toward the Citadel of Halifax.

3K9ylGP.jpg

uCdC0QG.jpg

In 1917 as the World War 1 raged on, a Norwegian relief ship collided with a French munitions ship in the narrows of Halifax harbor.  The French ship was carrying explosives from New York City destined for France.  It burned for 25 minutes before 2926 pounds of explosives detonated.  The resulting fireball and shock wave flattened two square kilometers of city.  More than 1,600 were killed, 9,000 injured and 6,000 left homeless.  

fNJfeuf.jpg

The Citadel of Halifax remains never to have been attacked by an enemy.  It's place on top of this hill gave it a commanding view and ability to defend the harbor along with many other forts and defensive positions located around the port.

Today it is a museum operated by Parks Canada.

fFbVGMq.jpg

H2BPzkI.jpg

1d6p5A9.jpg

pvMc8Kz.jpg

nQI3BwQ.jpg

Hmmm, more cannons pointed at our ship.

ipHJb8K.jpg

hbWrtMi.jpg

DYUWRpd.jpg

imxEpct.jpg

IECDNK8.jpg

It also serves as a museum for Canada's war efforts in both World Wars, Korea and Afghanistan.   

aiv2Raf.jpg

A section of the moat has been re-created in the form of World War 1 trenches of the Western front that Canadian soldiers fought in.  

iUDec82.jpg

THX059J.jpg
DLr7MzR.jpg

"Keep your head down"  Yeah, no kidding.

zigR0Uy.jpg

qIGNmXz.jpg

HeSyNm5.jpg

ivweaT3.jpg

PO00Rf7.jpg

Back to the barracks used by soldiers in the Citadel.

XmXFTq2.jpg

fDz4DT1.jpg

Upstairs has been converted into a museum with exhibits.

yWGjee0.jpg

HCV53vn.jpg

YcX8a5v.jpg

kypSaLN.jpg

A recreation of the monument to Canada for it's role in liberating the area located at Vimy Ridge in France.

HStP8qa.jpg

sDz9eqm.jpg

Admission was $7.80 or around $6 US.  Well worth it.

Walking around town is easy and pleasant.

U1DQ4Dw.jpg

jKeQ4LI.jpg

CnBaf8j.jpg

A Poutinerie.  

jNWizr4.jpg

Halifax is known for it's Donairs.

xai1Ghf.jpg

yQCaWs9.jpg

An authentic chicken Donair. Yum.

RUJ1FLk.jpg

Lot's of churches in Halifax.

Y383Tpo.jpg

0bi6MPn.jpg

rb2oeDG.jpg

An old cemetery across the street.

OW6plHY.jpg

GeTk6Nd.jpg

1QKWxSc.jpg

qL1oGZt.jpg

acQ9foX.jpg

A recollection of a battle during the war of 1812 with the Americans.

Izo2qWs.jpg

Back on the ship I laid down for a nap (that Canadian beer is pretty strong).

Shortly after I went up for sail away and discovered the flowrider was operational.

Tpj45Vj.jpg

The sole participant had brought a wet suit and was pretty good.  He had it to himself.

us1EvG8.jpg

The slides were also operational and I can confirm the water is NOT heated. 

lOHMpeG.jpg

Slide rules in case anyone is interested.

gQItZth.jpg

As sail away got closer I saw some sail boats in the harbor.

7uvvLwj.jpg

The Peak-a-boo bridge was open for the first time in many days.

YEiBWcy.jpg

Down to the helipad for sail away.

mnxOptF.jpg

75Az0br.jpg

QKfg7GV.jpg

The pilot boat tagging along waiting to pickup the harbor pilot.

tUJrMqu.jpg

tOAviG8.jpg

PpAkKgA.jpg

5Jlj47H.jpg

Off to dinner in the Windjammer for German night (Ironic after so much World War history today).  Tonight was a formal night and I just didn't feel like doing the MDR.  Food in the WJ was very good.

Around 6pm the Captain announced a guest was in a critical medical condition and we would need to return to Halifax to drop them off for medical attention.  Unfortunate but it happens.  

lHF3zfG.jpg

As a result our arrival in Saint John, New Brunswick tomorrow has been pushed back to around noon.  The Captain will provide an update in the morning at 8am.  

Just before 9pm we made our second departure from Halifax.

Poutine 😍

Curious @twangster, is this your first time in Eastern Canada?  I really need to book a cruise to venture out that way.  Lived in Canada my whole life and the furthest east I've gone is Ottawa.  I love the pics from the last few posts. So much history is there....

BTW @firebuck that is likely where you'll find real poutine, not on Anthem lol

3 hours ago, TheaFromCDA said:

@twangster Really enjoying your live blog from Adventure! I know you have mentioned that you will be on the Symphony transatlantic... any chance you will be live blogging that one too? I am really hoping you wouldn't mind sharing all the must-do's on the ship. Ive been binging on youtube vlogs, tours, and reading the live blogs from Symphony but a large number of the live b/vlogs focus on the port stops vs ship life. 

I am going to be on Symphony OTS on the Nov 24 sailing which is the one directly after after Matt and the group cruise's sailing so I will not have the opportunity to listen to Matt's review before embarkation. Matt mentioned he normally doesn't upload cruise compasses daily and it makes total sense, he should be having fun his (and the RC Blog) family! 

@Lovetocruise2002 on periscope mentioned I should ask you if you wouldn't mind uploading for when you're on the transatlantic. In your experience, have these repositioning cruises been pretty much the same setup for onboard activities to the "regular" sailings? 

@twangster oh whoops!   Didn’t realize you were travelling with  friends  and wouldn’t want to liveblog in your shoes myself! 

Do you normally do recaps when you get home? 

@Lovetocruise2002 no worries! You were trying to help + the dinner prep thing! I can’t really keep up w periscope I almost missed your advice cuz the chat moves so fast. I’m pretty new to periscope so I’m still trying to figure it out lol. All the hearts flying and quick comments on one tiny screen that I can’t keep up sometimes. I don’t know how Matt keeps up when answering questions !

Just now, TheaFromCDA said:

@Lovetocruise2002 no worries! You were trying to help + the dinner prep thing! I can’t really keep up w periscope I almost missed your advice cuz the chat moves so fast. I’m pretty new to periscope so I’m still trying to figure it out lol. All the hearts flying and quick comments on one tiny screen that I can’t keep up sometimes. I don’t know how Matt keeps up when answering questions !

Thread hijack here...You can actually scroll back and view old comments on the live broadcasts. I find that quite handy sometimes. But yes, it requires some quick reading. That is why multitasking while watching scopes is not always the best idea 😆

29 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Poutine 😍

Curious @twangster, is this your first time in Eastern Canada?  I really need to book a cruise to venture out that way.  Lived in Canada my whole life and the furthest east I've gone is Ottawa.  I love the pics from the last few posts. So much history is there....

BTW @firebuck that is likely where you'll find real poutine, not on Anthem lol

I've been to the maritime provinces several times, both as a kid in the family wagon but also as an adult.  Mostly by car, a few air trips.  This is my first visit by cruise ship.  

When you drive there, you see and experience a lot just by driving, stopping, spending nights here and there.  Gaspe Bay Peninsula for example.  Very beautiful area.  Cruising is different.  Not in a bad way, just different.  Seeing covered bridges in PEI for example that aren't in downtown Charlottetown.  An excursion can get you there, which I didn't do but that I knew that when I chose not to do an excursion.  I could have rented a car which is a very viable cruise ship day trip thing to do, especially with a family where excursions add up with each additional family member.   As a solo cruiser a car rental is often more than an excursion but provides a lot more flexibility than an excursion.

If you are going to rent a car, research ahead of time and plan a route leaving some time for being spontaneous.  No different than flying to NS, NB, PEI, etc.

Day 7 - Saint John, New Brunswick

Beautiful sunrise this morning as we make our way to Saint John.

M6Pie53.jpg

Windy today and all outer decks are closed.  Seas and ship are smooth, just windy.

jKEdX3V.jpg

The Captain just addressed our revised port times.  Saint John requires some extra time to set the lines so our planned time to be ready to leave the ship is around 1:30pm.  All aboard time will remain as scheduled at 6:30pm since the area is tidal and we must time our departure to avoid low tide.  

Our progress so far...

yfzWULg.jpg

The journey so far has been 1449 nautical miles.

41 minutes ago, firebuck said:

ohhh dang. I was there this spring -  I guess they didn't last much longer.  I'll just have to take more trips up to the Great White North!

Well, if @Matt will do a Canada/NE GC in summer 2020 we can all go and get poutine together!