? What Will The Oasis Get During Dry Dock ?

During a quick, short technical dry dock they usually do some minor stuff like varnish railings, fix pools, some carpet in high traffic areas. 

They don't typically tackle major changes like installing new restaurants, it's generally stuff that easier to do with guests absent.  Draining the pools for several days lets them paint them or fix tiles and reseal drains or light fixtures within the pool for example.

On 3/12/2019 at 12:27 AM, Zambia-Zaire said:

Wonderland needs to be shut down...it appears to not be as popular as once was hoped it would be. Another venue would be welcomed there.

Maybe Wonerland is not poplar in Oasis  of the Seas  since it dose not exist there  ? 

Anyway I Am sure they will add playmaker as it is very successful on the other ships 

2 hours ago, Jaymac Radio said:

I'm in 9730 (for now lol) next March!  New balcony lol.

*Ignore this comment.  It was insensitive of me.  I did not read the other thread on the Crane crash yet and after reading that, I am thankful there are no serious injuries at the moment.  Did not realize the severity of it.  Sorry everyone.

12 hours ago, Traveler said:

Maybe Wonerland is not poplar in Oasis  of the Seas  since it dose not exist there  ? 

Anyway I Am sure they will add playmaker as it is very successful on the other ships 

I wasn't speaking in particular about Oasis OTS, only in general. I have done a 7D on Oasis OTS & I am very aware they don't have Wonderland.

I mingle with a lot of fellow cruisers...a number of them have experienced Wonderland; their thoughts of it, like a novelty, nothing more, not something most wish to invest time doing again. Why my suggestion would look to move another venue in its place.

Now, I'm sure Royal's marketing engineers are crunching the numbers, comparing foot traffic reservation, length of seating times, repeat patrons, etc, comparable to the cost of operation, overhead, & a number of other factors, to determine the viability of it. If Oasis get Wonderland...I imagine it must be cost efficient enough to continue venue or they just don't have any other, more attractive ideas.

3 hours ago, Zambia-Zaire said:

I wasn't speaking in particular about Oasis OTS, only in general. I have done a 7D on Oasis OTS & I am very aware they don't have Wonderland.

I mingle with a lot of fellow cruisers...a number of them have experienced Wonderland; their thoughts of it, like a novelty, nothing more, not something most wish to invest time doing again. Why my suggestion would look to move another venue in its place.

Now, I'm sure Royal's marketing engineers are crunching the numbers, comparing foot traffic reservation, length of seating times, repeat patrons, etc, comparable to the cost of operation, overhead, & a number of other factors, to determine the viability of it. If Oasis get Wonderland...I imagine it must be cost efficient enough to continue venue or they just don't have any other, more attractive ideas.

I think you are right , they will do the calculations .I guess wonderland is like coriander or you like it very much or you hate it but still , RC opened one on Harmony after they already had it for few years on the Q class and then after it was running for at least 1.5 years on Harmony they opened one also on Symphony. I guess it also a matter of markets. 

Its interesting , lets  take for example Sabor,  which if you will read this site is one of the best restaurants in RC (well at least as long as it served the table guacamole) , RC decided to remove it from the new ships. 

Regarding Wonderland , we went there twice , I like the food (well most of it), yes on the second time the tricks are getting old but still it was good . I think it will be nice if they will refresh the menu from time to time or maybe even have few nights as the wonderland experience and few nights with other kind of menus.  

38 minutes ago, Pen said:

What I think Oasis will get is:

Jamie's Italian 

Playmakers 

El Loco Fresh 

Waterslides

Bionic Bar

What I would love:

Laser Tag, Skypad, & Hook'd

Laser Tag is not that hard to install so there is a good chance.  I think no Skypad unless RC decide to shrink mini-golf area. there is simply no big enough space for Skypad

18 hours ago, Traveler said:

Its interesting , lets  take for example Sabor,  which if you will read this site is one of the best restaurants in RC (well at least as long as it served the table guacamole) , RC decided to remove it from the new ships. 

Interesting thing about Sabor, several times at the Boardwalk, there was hardly anyone in Sabor. Everytime, it was completely empty, if not for a few patrons hanging out there. It did not bring the foot traffic to the Boardwalk...most of the traffic went to that center Bar(forgot the name) or Jonny Rockets(which really seem to attract customers after noon, than tail downl.

I've said in another post or earlier in this thread, that before Playmakers became a thing, I had thoughs of a sports bar concept, as a better venue, for the Boardwalk...after seeing how vacant Sabor was everytime my wife & I went down there.

5 hours ago, Zambia-Zaire said:

Interesting thing about Sabor, several times at the Boardwalk, there was hardly anyone in Sabor. Everytime, it was completely empty, if not for a few patrons hanging out there. It did not bring the foot traffic to the Boardwalk...most of the traffic went to that center Bar(forgot the name) or Jonny Rockets(which really seem to attract customers after noon, than tail downl.

I've said in another post or earlier in this thread, that before Playmakers became a thing, I had thoughs of a sports bar concept, as a better venue, for the Boardwalk...after seeing how vacant Sabor was everytime my wife & I went down there.

For me and I guess many other one of the best things about Sabor was the fresh table made guacamole , last time we were on allure they told us that since some health regulations they are not allow to do so anymore , they still brought us some but it was not really the same , you could feel it was not really fresh and came too fast to be fresh (I guess prepared at the morning and stored). so while I was upset Symphony did not got the Sabor after Allure , I am not that sorry.  

On 4/2/2019 at 7:55 AM, mook1525 said:

I think no Skypad unless RC decide to shrink mini-golf area. there is simply no big enough space for Skypad

There area few areas, on the ship, for potential Skypad location, should RCCL deem it an absolutely "must have" for Oasis or Allure OTS. Ehhhh....Skypad, may not see the light of day on other ships, given the recent pending legal/safety & safety checks failure on Mariner. However....

1) One such place, removal of the port side Flowrider, inserting the Skypad in its place, with a slight ship overhang, much like on Mariner OTS.

2) Another as suggest, in place of Oasis Dunes Golf...and as a result, possibly relocating ODG on top of the Windjammer, obviously with glass barriers for safety...similar to some of the older ships where the putt-putt is located & isolated on some of the upper decks.

3) Another idea...an open area, in Studio B. Much like the trampeez activity on Quantum Class Ships Sports Plex...doesn't have to have the bright orange whiffle ball. Just suspend bungie's off the raffles.

4) Finally...this will take some engineering marvel, to pull this off, given the area restraint. Remove "Wipe Out Bar" & tower, located center aft. Will also have to finagle the Zipline, attaching it somehow to or just offset of the Skypad mounting columns. Obviously, the biggest concern will be how much it encroach on Abyss & both Flowriders, and the need of the tower.

Anyway...my best guess...no Oasis Class Ship will have a Skypad.....others may not as well. ?

17 hours ago, Zambia-Zaire said:

Interesting thing about Sabor, several times at the Boardwalk, there was hardly anyone in Sabor. Everytime, it was completely empty

Whats interesting is that the Sabor on the Freedom and Liberty is amazing, always full, but @WAAAYTOOO can attest to, they are completely different restaurants on the O class ships, so I'm not surprised they are being replaced.

5 minutes ago, tiny260 said:

Whats interesting is that the Sabor on the Freedom and Liberty is amazing, always full, but @WAAAYTOOO can attest to, they are completely different restaurants on the O class ships, so I'm not surprised they are being replaced.

I agree, I was super impressed with Sabor on Freedom, but didn't have the same experience on Oasis.  I liked it, but enjoyed the atmosphere on Freedom much better.  They will likely replace it with Playmakers, which I think will suit the Boardwalk better.  

12 minutes ago, tiny260 said:

Im just ready for the press release so we know what will actually be on the ship!  I am hoping for the skypad and hook'd.  El loco sounds nice too.

3 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I would love to have Hooked but I nervous, with the recent incident, that they will modify the amp plans for Lady O.  I hope they don't...but I fear they might.

Not sure they can even if they want , I guess they have agreements with the shipyard and to find another slot for Oasis will not be easy , maybe they an switch O with A  but it will be a mess 

2 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I would love to have Hooked but I nervous, with the recent incident, that they will modify the amp plans for Lady O.  I hope they don't...but I fear they might.

I'm not so sure.  That AMP has been all but finalized.  Materials ordered, contracts signed.  To forego the AMPING would fly in the face of what it's doing across the fleet.  In fact one could argue they'll use November to re-launch the "new Oasis" otherwise it remains the wounded duck.  

1 minute ago, twangster said:

I'm not so sure.  That AMP has been all but finalized.  Materials ordered, contracts signed.  To forego the AMPING would fly in the face of what it's doing across the fleet.  In fact one could argue they'll use November to re-launch the "new Oasis" otherwise it remains the wounded duck.  

Oh I'm not suggesting that they would scuttle it completely.  I'm just concerned that it might get scaled back.  Hopefully my fears are unfounded.

That "relaunch" idea is precisely what I am worried about !  If they add a few bits and dabs to it now - enough to say "new and improved" then they may not feel the need to do another HUGE dry dock again in October/November.  Oh well...there is no way of knowing until we know.  Worrying won't help not matter what so I will just forget about it !

They can't get the slides and bits in place in a few weeks.  It's takes months to manage that supply chain and delivering materials to the shipyard just at the right time.  They'll have their hands full replacing railings and fixing the crane damage while trying to get her into service ASAP to avoid more cancellations.  

All they can do is lightweight work like carpeting and upholstery in the coming weeks.  I really don't see them scrapping the AMP and to what end?  If they cut the November AMP short in pursuit of placing it in service early they would have a very short sales cycle.  Trying to book the ship to sail full in November a mere six to eight months away means they won't sell it out.  She normally enjoys a two year sales cycle.  People would see through it and she would remain the old Oasis incapable of fetching the premium she will once she is "Symphonized".  

Then she sails into NYC as the old Oasis rather than the new AMPED Oasis everyone is expecting. Or they can't sail into NYC because the stacks aren't modified in November to allow her to clear the bridge.   Then if she goes to Galveston in 2021 she is the old Oasis again failing to meet expectations.  

I don't think they will abandon or modify the November plans.  Doing so would be fruitless.

1 hour ago, twangster said:

They can't get the slides and bits in place in a few weeks.  It's takes months to manage that supply chain and delivering materials to the shipyard just at the right time.  They'll have their hands full replacing railings and fixing the crane damage while trying to get her into service ASAP to avoid more cancellations.  

All they can do is lightweight work like carpeting and upholstery in the coming weeks.  I really don't see them scrapping the AMP and to what end?  If they cut the November AMP short in pursuit of placing it in service early they would have a very short sales cycle.  Trying to book the ship to sail full in November a mere six to eight months away means they won't sell it out.  She normally enjoys a two year sales cycle.  People would see through it and she would remain the old Oasis incapable of fetching the premium she will once she is "Symphonized".  

Then she sails into NYC as the old Oasis rather than the new AMPED Oasis everyone is expecting. Or they can't sail into NYC because the stacks aren't modified in November to allow her to clear the bridge.   Then if she goes to Galveston in 2021 she is the old Oasis again failing to meet expectations.  

I don't think they will abandon or modify the November plans.  Doing so would be fruitless.

I believe you !

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Sabor Express!

By golly gosh! that could be a great idea!! ah seriously that could work , then again that's el loco fresh isn't it?

change El loco Fresh back to minibites and have a small Sabor Express down on the boardwalk with a few seats, nearer the Entrance of the boardwalk.

having looked at Harmonys / Oasis and Symhponys deck plans

I would like to think they would move starbucks into the promenade like symphony

And have a Sabor express where the starbucks is on Harmony ( boardwalk area)

and still have a playmakers

like my little mock up ;) also I'm aware there are smoke stacks running either side of the boardwalk entrance but you get the idea of the placement.

sabor.png

44 minutes ago, J_Keeble said:

I would like to think they would move starbucks into the promenade like symphony

And have a Sabor express where the starbucks is on Harmony ( boardwalk area)

On Oasis Starbucks is already on the Promenade, Harmony is the outlier now. What is there currently on Oasis is the ice cream and cupcake shop. If memory is correct, next to that is the arcade.

For a Sabor Express they could take over the ice cream shop. Playmakers could then take over the former Sabor space and knock down the wall to merge in the arcade.

Adding back Sabor bar, I view it as redundant service. Playmakers would provide the full service bar for the Boardwalk area.

17 hours ago, CGTLH said:

On Oasis Starbucks is already on the Promenade, Harmony is the outlier now. What is there currently on Oasis is the ice cream and cupcake shop. If memory is correct, next to that is the arcade.

For a Sabor Express they could take over the ice cream shop. Playmakers could then take over the former Sabor space and knock down the wall to merge in the arcade.

Adding back Sabor bar, I view it as redundant service. Playmakers would provide the full service bar for the Boardwalk area.

Ah I see! well the icecream and cupcake would maybe move over to become sugar beach as like symphony. and as I said just have a smaller Sabor but without the bar of course :)

Sabor is done...that's what El Loco Fresh is for...and moved to a good location. If RCCL entertained any thoughts on retaining Sabor or somekind of Sabor Express spinoff(which essentially what ELF is), to preserve a familiar name that RCCL cruisers would know....RCCL would have moved Sabor where ELF is located, call it express; and, ELF wouldn't have ever come into existence. The new name suggest a different type of eatery venue...one that is definitely more express and less bar/lounge as Sabor.

Royal TA told me that they will do as much as they can in the Cadiz drydock between when Oasis gets there (left Freeport yesterday) Then the 6 week drydock in the fall can be shortened and a return Transatlantic may be scheduled.  With short selling time period, there may be some very good deals to fill that big "new" boat. But lots of variables between now and then.  TA said that Diamond Club will be moved and new restaurant in that space.  Wonderland was/is the plan.  Slides too.  But didn't know where or what type. Should know more on May 4 when next passenger cruise is still scheduled. 

Steerage Society logo.jpg

I'd be surprised if they change guest areas on the impromptu dry dock in a few weeks.  A two week dry dock April 18 - May 4 is hardly enough time to do major changes. 

I'd be very surprised if they announced a revenue transatlantic in November.  On such short notice few people would book it.  Transatlantic sailings likely fail to break even as it is when they are scheduled a year + in advance.  Putting one on the calendar with 5 months to sail will result in very few bookings.   

The current plan was to finish the AMP during the transatlantic.  It is unlikely they have the slides and materials for the changes already sitting in Cadiz when they weren't suppose to be there until October.  It's not like a shipyard just has this stuff in inventory in case a ship drops by and requests it.

Time will tell.  

20 hours ago, twangster said:

I'd be surprised if they change guest areas on the impromptu dry dock in a few weeks.  A two week dry dock April 18 - May 4 is hardly enough time to do major changes. 

I'd be very surprised if they announced a revenue transatlantic in November.  On such short notice few people would book it.  Transatlantic sailings likely fail to break even as it is when they are scheduled a year + in advance.  Putting one on the calendar with 5 months to sail will result in very few bookings.   

The current plan was to finish the AMP during the transatlantic.  It is unlikely they have the slides and materials for the changes already sitting in Cadiz when they weren't suppose to be there until October.  It's not like a shipyard just has this stuff in inventory in case a ship drops by and requests it.

Time will tell.  

When I was on Independence in April 2018, they had most of the supplies for renovations already on ship. Thus was last sailing before her dry dock. 

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Andrew72681 said:

If any of the Harmony/Symphony or Navigator/Mariner stuff has to be left out hopefully it’s To Dry For, I really wonder if that place makes money as I can’t imaging people there before 4 or 5 in the evening. 

My wife will use it, but as you say, 4-5 in the evening and usually once per cruise before a formal night. But with 6000 people on board who knows.