Kummelweck sandwich on the Allure

rjac

14 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Lucky duck.  I haven't done a B2B yet !

This will be our second B2B on the Allure. We did a B2B on the Jewel in 2010. Our first cruise, ever, was a 7 Day on the Navigator. After that cruise we decided that seven days was just not enough time. So from then on we only selected 10-14 day cruises or a B2B. For us, it's the only way to go. Mind you, we are fortunate enough to be able to drive from NC to the port in FL so we don't have to do the baggage dance at the airport. Plus, we get to bring home LOTS of duty free booze! The problem I have right now is that my wife is talking about a 3 week B2B and I am starting to like the idea.  Guess I'll have to break open another barrel of money!:27_sunglasses:

11 minutes ago, rjac said:

This will be our second B2B on the Allure. We did a B2B on the Jewel in 2010. Our first cruise, ever, was a 7 Day on the Navigator. After that cruise we decided that seven days was just not enough time. So from then on we only selected 10-14 day cruises or a B2B. For us, it's the only way to go. Mind you, we are fortunate enough to be able to drive from NC to the port in FL so we don't have to do the baggage dance at the airport. Plus, we get to bring home LOTS of duty free booze! The problem I have right now is that my wife is talking about a 3 week B2B and I am starting to like the idea.  Guess I'll have to break open another barrel of money!:27_sunglasses:

Ahh...retirement life...14 more years!

7 minutes ago, rjac said:

That's a lot of underwear to pack!:3_grin:

If you can afford a B2B2B you can afford some new underwear :3_grin:

Reminds me of a "tip" a helpful cruiser was trying to provide in another forum.  You know how when the time changes during daylight savings time and they tell you to replace the batteries in your smoke detector?  Apparently this cruise discards their underwear when they cruise and uses the opportunity to acquire new ones. 

On 2/2/2018 at 1:58 PM, rjac said:

I love the way your wife thinks.

2 hours ago, jurrjurr said:

You only need 2 pairs.  Wash and hang dry on the balcony.

Unless someone's cigarette from a balcony above lands on your underwear (not suppose to be out there in the first place). Then you are out of luck ?

Not making this up. Read this on another board. Think it was on Liberty of the seas...

27 minutes ago, Sabrinaklai said:

Unless someone's cigarette from a balcony above lands on your underwear (not suppose to be out there in the first place). Then you are out of luck ?

Not making this up. Read this on another board. Think it was on Liberty of the seas...

Note to self.  Don't hang out on the balcony in underwear.

Come to think of it.... I never have.  

11 hours ago, Sabrinaklai said:

That's why you bring 2 pairs.

Full disclosure:  I am not a food snob and like pretty much all gastronomic delights (even an occasional slice o' Sorrento's).

The very first thing we did on the 21st was go grab a Kummelweck for lunch.   Honestly, I wasn't blown away nearly as much as I was expecting.

It's good, but not amazing.  So being the fair and reasonable guy I am, we had another later in the week.  Same thing.

It just ain't that awesome.

Image result for don't hate me

• 2 months later...
1 minute ago, mworkman said:

Thanks... now I want one and won't be on a ship for 200+ days.  Where do you get on on the Navigator?

I'm going on the Allure in September.   Hopefully someone can answer question shortly.

Too much food, too little time.  A week is not going to be enough, especially with three sea days.

On 2/2/2018 at 2:58 PM, rjac said:

This will be our second B2B on the Allure. :27_sunglasses:

Soooo jealous! We will have to find a way to make that work!

I agree, anything less than 7 is a tease... over too fast. My wife hates when I point out the changing day of the week "tiles" on the elevator floors...

We are thinking seriously about the 11 or 12 night Southern Caribbean cruises on Anthem... ahhh, one day! :1_grinning:

59 minutes ago, JohnK6404 said:

We are thinking seriously about the 11 or 12 night Southern Caribbean cruises on Anthem

On the Anthem out of Cape Liberty NJ? That's an AWFUL lot of open Atlantic Ocean to be crossing and it could get very bumpy! Take a look at the Serenade out of Ft. Lauderdale. I believe it has some 11/12 days itineraries that hit some of the Southern Caribbean Islands.:27_sunglasses:

3 hours ago, rjac said:

On the Anthem out of Cape Liberty NJ? That's an AWFUL lot of open Atlantic Ocean to be crossing and it could get very bumpy! Take a look at the Serenade out of Ft. Lauderdale. I believe it has some 11/12 days itineraries that hit some of the Southern Caribbean Islands.:27_sunglasses:

Thanks for the suggestion... will definitely take a look.

Yeah, we've cruised from Cape Liberty twice so far... first on Explorer in 2013 and then on Liberty in 2015. We also cruised both times in October, so no pool until we were near Bermuda for sure! Needless to say, we settled in and became acquainted with the ship during the travel down the coast. Only the last evening during the trip back on Explorer in 2013 was a little rocky... my wife actually liked the rocking and joked it was like being rocked to sleep in a cradle. I believe they were moving faster on the return trip which did not help!

We really want to try Anthem after our Allure cruise... NJ is too convenient for us (90 minute drive from where we are on Long Island). Maybe next time we'll cruise in the Spring/early Summer when the seas are calmer in the Atlantic too! Unfortunately, the 11-12 night cruises are usually in Dec & Jan.

17 hours ago, JohnK6404 said:

Soooo jealous! We will have to find a way to make that work!

I agree, anything less than 7 is a tease... over too fast. My wife hates when I point out the changing day of the week "tiles" on the elevator floors...

We are thinking seriously about the 11 or 12 night Southern Caribbean cruises on Anthem... ahhh, one day! :1_grinning:

I figure I'd have to lose twenty pounds for a 7 day cruise.  I'd have to lose forty for an 11 or 12 night cruise.

Unfortunately, Allure was serving that nasty brown gravy at Park Cafe instead of the au jus.  I just skipped the gravy and had a roast beef sandwich without it. I missed having the au jus but it was ok.  The roast beef and bread were excellent. I do NOT recommend getting that nasty gravy. What a way to ruin a good beef on weck !

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/4/2018 at 3:43 PM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

It's basically a roast beef sandwich.  Tons of people including my husband love it but I have never even tried one lol.

For me, the secret is to always get the horseradish and a bit of au jus.  I friggin' love horseradish, so your mileage may vary.  The au jus also makes it a little sloppy.  I'm OK with that.  I'm a little bit sloppy as well.

I find a dark corner and eat my daily ration of one sloppy Kummelweck sandwich per day, with jus dishonorably dripping down my arms.  Just the one, as far as anyone else knows. 

1 hour ago, mk-ultra said:

For me, the secret is to always get the horseradish and a bit of au jus.  I friggin' love horseradish, so your mileage may vary.  The au jus also makes it a little sloppy.  I'm OK with that.  I'm a little bit sloppy as well.

I find a dark corner and eat my daily ration of one sloppy Kummelweck sandwich per day, with jus dishonorably dripping down my arms.  Just the one, as far as anyone else knows. 

I finally tried it on Anthem in March.  Discovered on Day 2 of the cruise that I loved it!  That was a great thing as I was able to enjoy many more throughout the week.  Your "dark corner" comment made me laugh because I too hid in a dark corner (in 270) to eat my Kummelweck on some days.  But that was to escape all the children ?

23 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I finally tried it on Anthem in March.  Discovered on Day 2 of the cruise that I loved it!  That was a great thing as I was able to enjoy many more throughout the week.  Your "dark corner" comment made me laugh because I too hid in a dark corner (in 270) to eat my Kummelweck on some days.  But that was to escape all the children ?

Can you get double meat? My husband is an ex football player (college only).

14 hours ago, jce2 said:

If i am ever on a cruise that serves there (Liberty doesn't) I will be sure to pack a bottle of thick beef gravy to really do these things Buffalo NY style ("Beef on Weck"!!)

If you like the thick gravy then you will love the beef on weck on Allure.  I HATE the gravy - much prefer the au jus.  It's been very hit-and-miss lately with these sandwiches but it seems that more often than not, they have the thick gravy, which completely ruins the sandwich for me.  I just left the gravy off on my Allure trip last month.  I used lots of horseradish and it was fine.

2 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

If you like the thick gravy then you will love the beef on weck on Allure.  I HATE the gravy - much prefer the au jus.  It's been very hit-and-miss lately with these sandwiches but it seems that more often than not, they have the thick gravy, which completely ruins the sandwich for me.  I just left the gravy off on my Allure trip last month.  I used lots of horseradish and it was fine.

Wasn't even aware they used gravy!  all the pictures folks hav posted look like nothing more than dry roast beef on a bun.  When we made Beef on weck we would take the sliced beef and dump it in a big pot of gravy, then heat the whole thing.  Once folks were ready to eat, we simply slopped some beef onto kemmelwick buns.  Made freaking awesome food for a tailgate!

1 minute ago, jce2 said:

Wasn't even aware they used gravy!  all the pictures folks hav posted look like nothing more than dry roast beef on a bun.  When we made Beef on weck we would take the sliced beef and dump it in a big pot of gravy, then heat the whole thing.  Once folks were ready to eat, we simply slopped some beef onto kemmelwick buns.  Made freaking awesome food for a tailgate!

That actually sounds pretty awesome !!  Yes, there is a bucket of gravy but they just pour some over the sandwich or if you ask, they will give you a small bowl of it to dip.  At first it was always a yummy au jus which was nice and light. Then they started using a dark brown thick gravy which was horrible.  I never know what we're going to get.  Allure in April had the thick gravy.  UGH.