Labadee rumor

5 hours ago, ScottD said:

Did anyone watch the tv show 911 last night? All about a cruise ship being taken over by hostages... part 2 and 3 the next few weeks. This has nothing to do with this situation, but I figured since we were talking about movies..

We'll be watching it at some point today. Gotta clear out shows before the cruise.

1 hour ago, bobroo said:

Are folks here optimistic that Labadee reopens and continues business as usual?

I'm thinking much darker thoughts that probability of Royal completely losing the property is... Oh! about 50-50 right now.

But I will say that Michael Bayley cancelling all port stops puts the company at a potential negotiating advantage in the future. RC deserves a huge high five for making this decision. There are some really tough decisions the company still needs to make regarding Labadee but I think Royal management deserves a great big RCB group hug for doing what they have so far. Good job team! 

I haven't seen anyone express concern that Royal will close Labadee permanently, and I don't have that fear.

This isn't the first time that Labadee has ceased operations due to unrest in Haiti. Unfortunately, it probably won't be the last.

5 hours ago, bobroo said:

re folks here optimistic that Labadee reopens and continues business as usual?

This isn't the first time Labadee stops were cancelled because of security concerns.  I think Labadee was trashed during Covid but that might have been a rumor and I don't really know.  There were some negotiations with the government of Haiti about Labadee at one time but it isn't clear there is a government in Haiti anymore.

I'm sure Royal would like more stability in Haiti but chaos seems to be "business as usual."

My memory of Labadee during Covid is different. I thought some of the local riff raff broke into the compound over a couple nights, arsonized a building or two, stole the jetskis,  and a few squatters took residence.

A part of me fears that what happened during Covid happens on a larger scale and there is nothing left.

I have a feeling everything will be fine on Labadee... It is how the locals feed their families, I can't imagine they would allow bad things to happen there. The violence in Haiti is far from Labadee and the people of that region want nothing more than the ships to keep coming.

We have been to Labadee many times and love it.  The speculation regarding how unlikely it is that the unrest would affect Labadee is a mute discussion.  The U.S. State department has said there are hundreds of U.S. citizens in Haiti wanting to leave and they have no plans to rescue them (said in briefing today, 3/15).   If there was a negative passenger outcome at Labadee with this backdrop, RCL could potentially face hundreds of millions of dollars in civil damages from gross negligence for passenger outcomes including wrongful death.  Legally, the risk of this outcome would be deemed "foreseeable" with Royal breaching it's standard of care.  Royal had no choice.  Passengers can't assume the risk, Royal owns the risk.  Frankly, I'm surprised the Royal lawyers took this long.

I love Labadee and hope the situation is resolved soon.

We are leaving on Symphony 3/23 and Labadee is also supposed to be our first port on 3/25 - we haven't gotten official word yet but I cannot imagine that we'll stop given all the new reporting today. I also hope we get an alternative because it is an 8 night cruise with only two other stops and that feels like a lot of ship time.

On 3/15/2024 at 5:38 PM, Doug_Texas said:

The U.S. State department has said there are hundreds of U.S. citizens in Haiti wanting to leave and they have no plans to rescue them (said in briefing today, 3/15).

Not saying it's fact, but I am going to throw my two cents in as someone who travels to a lot of developing/third would countries, has been caught up in political situations multiple times, and still chooses to go. And I'm a US citizen (as well as a citizen of another, much less advantageous country). 

I know what I am getting in to when I go to places like Haiti, Somalia, C.A.R., etc. There's always a chance of something happening when I am there. Always. I can't count on my government to bail me out. Would it be nice if they do? Heck yeah. But there have been two occasions where they have not and I needed to get myself out of the country OR find some way to be safe while there. It's just the risk you take. I'm also guessing a lot of those US citizens are actually dual citizens living in Haiti (in addition to the more obvious aid workers and such). 

However, rescuing a few hundred US citizens is probably a lower priority to the US government than thousands of citizens on a cruise ship. That's just the way it is. 

Finally, it looks like the US government has since run a flight from Cap Haitien to Miami for US citizens. It only had like 30 people on it. I don't see them even trying to get a flight in to Port-Au-Prince. 

2 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

We are leaving on Symphony 3/23 and Labadee is also supposed to be our first port on 3/25 - we haven't gotten official word yet but I cannot imagine that we'll stop given all the new reporting today. I also hope we get an alternative because it is an 8 night cruise with only two other stops and that feels like a lot of ship time.

I am on the trip on Symphony right after yours (March 31).  Royal has said we should expect an update early this week on the Labadee/Haiti status on trips leaving through the rest of this month.  I would keep looking in your email and check for the latest updates on Royal's travel-updates page.  Cruise Travel Updates | Royal Caribbean Cruises

20 minutes ago, DoomSlayer said:

I am on the trip on Symphony right after yours (March 31).  Royal has said we should expect an update early this week on the Labadee/Haiti status on trips leaving through the rest of this month.  I would keep looking in your email and check for the latest updates on Royal's travel-updates page.  Cruise Travel Updates | Royal Caribbean Cruises

I am on symphony April 20th and was really hoping this would be cleared up by then, but it doesn't look like that will happen.

47 minutes ago, DoomSlayer said:

I'll wave hi on my way off the ship 👋

I have a TA and she said she would let us know as soon as she hears, although I appreciate that link! Says we should hear early this week so any minute...

Let's see, I booked a tour of China for 2020 and that never happened, a RC cruise in 2021 that was cancelled, and a tour of Israel for this Summer of 2024 that also was cancelled.  My brother was supposed to go on a Baltic cruise that was also cancelled after the Ukraine invasion, but now most cruise lines are just doing rerouting in the Baltic. 

Unfortunately, often things get worse before they get better, and planned travel must be put on hold.

I actually went to some Dominican Republic news sites to see how they are handling the Haiti situation, since the two countries share the same island. It appears that border security has been greatly strengthened, and Haitians are being expelled.  

There is a level of chaos and violence in Haiti, especially from all the diverse gangs, that may not be able to be resolved without international intervention.  Sadly for cruisers, the issues of the port call are probably quite low in priority.

Leaving on March 23 Symphony of the Seas. No email or announcement yet, but just checked the app. Looks like we are going to Jamaica. Thrilled it’s not another day at sea. I’m guessing Royal Caribbean will be announcing it’s extending the cancellation of Labadee past the 22nd.

IMG_5157.png

On 3/15/2024 at 6:38 PM, Doug_Texas said:

We have been to Labadee many times and love it.  The speculation regarding how unlikely it is that the unrest would affect Labadee is a mute discussion.  The U.S. State department has said there are hundreds of U.S. citizens in Haiti wanting to leave and they have no plans to rescue them (said in briefing today, 3/15).   If there was a negative passenger outcome at Labadee with this backdrop, RCL could potentially face hundreds of millions of dollars in civil damages from gross negligence for passenger outcomes including wrongful death.  Legally, the risk of this outcome would be deemed "foreseeable" with Royal breaching it's standard of care.  Royal had no choice.  Passengers can't assume the risk, Royal owns the risk.  Frankly, I'm surprised the Royal lawyers took this long.

I love Labadee and hope the situation is resolved soon.

You seem like a wise Royal Cruiser. I have a quick question for you if you don't mind? I am going to Labadee in mid-May, I purchased the trip and travel insurance in Oct 2023. If the port gets changed, would we be eligible for compensation?  

For reference, my insurance states these things: 

"We will reimburse You, up to the Maximum Benefit Amount shown in the Schedule of Benefits, for the unused, forfeited, prepaid non-refundable event/activity expenses paid by You if a cruise line, Travel Supplier, or Common Carrier makes a change to Your Trip itinerary which either prevents You from participating in the previously scheduled event/activity or eliminates a destination from originally scheduled itinerary. Benefits are payable if: 1. the event or activity was prepaid prior to Your Scheduled Departure Date and the cost of the event or activity was included in the cost of the Payments and Deposits for purposes of calculating the premium; and 2. the itinerary change is made after the Scheduled Departure Date of the Trip; and 3. no comparable event, activity, or refund, whether provided in credit or cash was provided to offset the loss. This certificate will not provide benefits if a comparable activity of equivalent cost are rescheduled during the course of Your Trip. These benefit(s) will not duplicate any other benefits payable under the certificate or any coverage(s) attached to the certificate." 

Additionally, cruise diversion is included in the "Optional Travel Inconvenience" section as well. 

12 hours ago, Bmullins said:

Leaving on March 23 Symphony of the Seas. No email or announcement yet, but just checked the app. Looks like we are going to Jamaica. Thrilled it’s not another day at sea. I’m guessing Royal Caribbean will be announcing it’s extending the cancellation of Labadee past the 22nd.

IMG_5157.png

Ugh ... I am on symphony too but a couple weeks later. Falmouth Jamaica is not really where I would want to go. I think I'll stay on the ship if that is what they choose for us. Labadee vs. Falmouth, it's not even comparable.... I know, I know RC is trying, I get that. But it still sucks. Labadee was going to be the highlight of the cruise for me... I love Labadee. So to have Falmouth as its replacement is very disappointing. 

I was hoping Turks or something, but I am guessing symphony is just too big.

6 minutes ago, Fastfaller said:

Ugh ... I am on symphony too but a couple weeks later. Falmouth Jamaica is not really where I would want to go. I think I'll stay on the ship if that is what they choose for us. Labadee vs. Falmouth, it's not even comparable.... I know, I know RC is trying, I get that. But it still sucks. Labadee was going to be the highlight of the cruise for me... I love Labadee. So to have Falmouth as its replacement is very disappointing. 

I was hoping Turks or something, but I am guessing symphony is just too big.

I am on Symphony on the 6 night sailing leaving March 31.  Our schedule still shows Labadee.  We already had Falmouth on our itinerary, just after Labadee as well as Nassau towards the end.  I don't know that we will get a replacement port, but I am kind of hoping they swap the first sea day with the original Labadee day and go to Coco cay instead (only one ship in Coco Cay that day).  The last 6 night Symphony turned into another sea day it looks like.

1 hour ago, SMiller said:

I am going to Labadee in mid-May, I purchased the trip and travel insurance in Oct 2023. If the port gets changed, would we be eligible for compensation

There are two different coverages that could apply. Some policies have an itinerary change coverage that pay a flat amount when a port gets changed even if you don't suffer a financial loss. You have to provide proof of the itinerary change to collect if your insurance has this coverage.

The other more common coverage in a travel insurance policy will cover your financial loss if there's a prepaid excursion that you will miss out on by skipping the port. This wouldn't apply for Labadee as all excursions are solely through the cruise line and the cruise line will fully refund these excursions. If it was another port and you had used a third party company and prepaid for a tour that you missed, you could make a claim to get back anything non-refundable that you lost.

55 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

With a private destination like labadee, what possible loss would you even seek to recoup?

I will miss a day of drinking that was covered by my DBP.... Though one could argue I could just stay on the ship and drink. True, but not as fun as drinking Labadoozies while floating in the ocean on a mat 

31 minutes ago, tonyfsu21 said:

So this happened. I am totally ok with this change. 

IMG_0306.jpeg

Thanks for sharing @tonyfsu21.  It is interesting because we are supposed to visit Labadee on 4/2 via the March 31 Symphony sailing and we have not had any e-mails yet.  Based on your sailing dates, I can only assume Royal still trying to solidify an alternative plan for our sailing before they commit to sending an email.

6 hours ago, SMiller said:

You seem like a wise Royal Cruiser. I have a quick question for you if you don't mind? I am going to Labadee in mid-May, I purchased the trip and travel insurance in Oct 2023. If the port gets changed, would we be eligible for compensation?  

"We will reimburse You, up to the Maximum Benefit Amount shown in the Schedule of Benefits, for the unused, forfeited, prepaid non-refundable event/activity expenses paid by You if a cruise line, Travel Supplier, or Common Carrier makes a change to Your Trip itinerary which either prevents You from participating in the previously scheduled event/activity or eliminates a destination from originally scheduled itinerary. Benefits are payable if: 1. the event or activity was prepaid prior to Your Scheduled Departure Date and the cost of the event or activity was included in the cost of the Payments and Deposits for purposes of calculating the premium; and 2. the itinerary change is made after the Scheduled Departure Date of the Trip; and 3. no comparable event, activity, or refund, whether provided in credit or cash was provided to offset the loss. This certificate will not provide benefits if a comparable activity of equivalent cost are rescheduled during the course of Your Trip. These benefit(s) will not duplicate any other benefits payable under the certificate or any coverage(s) attached to the certificate." 

Additionally, cruise diversion is included in the "Optional Travel Inconvenience" section as well. 

I think @AshleyDillo provided a nice response.  Most of my travel insurance has been medical insurance so I have less direct experience with claims. I have had a couple of rounds of general travel insurance.  I hadn’t seen the provision that @AshleyDillo discussed that provides a flat amount for any itinerary change which could apply here.

For more general coverage showing specific financial loss for a covered reason.  As others have said RCL provides full refunds for any contacted activity at Labadee so it seems like a difficult bar to meet.  There are also usually general coverage exclusions for war, natural disasters, acts of God, etc. that you might evaluate.  Itinerary changes are common in the cruise industry and are highlighted in the cruise contract (your ticket).  I’ve had it happen 3 times in the last year.  

6 hours ago, SMiller said:

"We will reimburse You, up to the Maximum Benefit Amount shown in the Schedule of Benefits, for the unused, forfeited, prepaid non-refundable event/activity expenses paid by You if a cruise line, Travel Supplier, or Common Carrier makes a change to Your Trip itinerary which either prevents You from participating in the previously scheduled event/activity or eliminates a destination from originally scheduled itinerary. Benefits are payable if: 1. the event or activity was prepaid prior to Your Scheduled Departure Date and the cost of the event or activity was included in the cost of the Payments and Deposits for purposes of calculating the premium; and 2. the itinerary change is made after the Scheduled Departure Date of the Trip; and 3. no comparable event, activity, or refund, whether provided in credit or cash was provided to offset the loss. This certificate will not provide benefits if a comparable activity of equivalent cost are rescheduled during the course of Your Trip. These benefit(s) will not duplicate any other benefits payable under the certificate or any coverage

(s) attached to the certificate." 

I was quite surprised to find an email a few minutes ago regarding our 4-14-24 EX cruise, which was supposed to call at Labadee.  I would have thought that they would wait for a while to change the itin but they didn't (wait, that is).

So we will now be going to PDCC vs Labadee.  I think this is considered a BIG WIN.  I don't get off at PDCC so it's a wash for me.  They also [slightly] extended the hours that we will be in Falmouth (the other PoC on this sailing).

IMO the best part of this change is that there will now be a sea day between the 2 PoC.  I really hate itins that have consecutive ports.  I much prefer a sea day in between and we now have that.  YIPPEE !

This (4-14-24 5 night cruise) sailing is sandwiched between 2, 9 night very port intensive cruises so the sea day is even more welcome.  We will be on EX for 23 consecutive days, the longest length of time for us on one ship (it's a B3B) that we have done yet !  Then, we will have 1 day in dry dock, followed by a FR 4 night-er, then 2 more dry dock days followed by a 7 night Wonder cruise.  It's going to be a VERY busy April/early May for us !

1 hour ago, DoomSlayer said:

Thanks for sharing @tonyfsu21.  It is interesting because we are supposed to visit Labadee on 4/2 via the March 31 Symphony sailing and we have not had any e-mails yet.  Based on your sailing dates, I can only assume Royal still trying to solidify an alternative plan for our sailing before they commit to sending an email.

I leave Saturday and have not gotten anything official yet!! Discovered Falmouth, Jamaica in the planner in the app but no cancellations of cruise planner items, no email from Royal or my TA.

8 minutes ago, jbrinkm said:

My cruise planner closes tonight. Should I cancel all of my Labadee excursions now to try to get a faster refund or just let Royal cancel & refund (I guess they would do OBC?? and then refund at the end?)

It will be refundable OBC.  They may give you discounts onboard at the excursion desk for Falmouth if you let them cancel it.  That has been my experience in the past whenever  Royal canceled the excursion instead of me.

41 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I was quite surprised to find an email a few minutes ago regarding our 4-14-24 EX cruise, which was supposed to call at Labadee.  I would have thought that they would wait for a while to change the itin but they didn't (wait, that is).

So we will now be going to PDCC vs Labadee.  I think this is considered a BIG WIN.  I don't get off at PDCC so it's a wash for me.  They also [slightly] extended the hours that we will be in Falmouth (the other PoC on this sailing).

IMO the best part of this change is that there will now be a sea day between the 2 PoC.  I really hate itins that have consecutive ports.  I much prefer a sea day in between and we now have that.  YIPPEE !

This (4-14-24 5 night cruise) sailing is sandwiched between 2, 9 night very port intensive cruises so the sea day is even more welcome.  We will be on EX for 23 consecutive days, the longest length of time for us on one ship (it's a B3B) that we have done yet !  Then, we will have 1 day in dry dock, followed by a FR 4 night-er, then 2 more dry dock days followed by a 7 night Wonder cruise.  It's going to be a VERY busy April/early May for us !

I need to freaking retire. Work is getting in the way of cruising. 

5 minutes ago, Fastfaller said:

The day I am supposed to be in Labadee there is only one ship in PDaCC..  unfortunately it's Icon. I can't imagine they would put Icon and Symphony there at the same time. That would be like 12-13,000 people.

I would be interested if they do. One ship at PDCC was one of the reasons I picked my Icon date for May. Hoping we stay the only ship, but not so sure past few days.

Been reading through this website as a resource but this my 1st cruise and 1st post. Today, our Oasis of the Seas trip on 3/31 was rescheduled from Labadee to a 2nd day at Coco Cay. I was excited to go to Coco Cay for 1 day and experience it, but not 2 days! I see other cruises getting switched to Turks and Caicos. Is this ridiculous that we have to spend 2 consecutive days now at Coco Cay? And besides, we also stop at Nassau. So 3 days in the Bahamas????? What is with this? 

Image 3-19-24 at 6.35 PM.jpeg

2 hours ago, Diggs said:

Been reading through this website as a resource but this my 1st cruise and 1st post. Today, our Oasis of the Seas trip on 3/31 was rescheduled from Labadee to a 2nd day at Coco Cay. I was excited to go to Coco Cay for 1 day and experience it, but not 2 days! I see other cruises getting switched to Turks and Caicos. Is this ridiculous that we have to spend 2 consecutive days now at Coco Cay? And besides, we also stop at Nassau. So 3 days in the Bahamas????? What is with this? 

Image 3-19-24 at 6.35 PM.jpeg

Could be worse, you could be going to Falmouth...yuck!