Royal Caribbean Bank of America Card

This is my first time cruising on Royal Caribbean and I have a quick question. I have the Bank of America Royal Caribbean card and I have points that I am going to redeem. I want to use them for our excursion and drink package. When I redeem my points it states on-board credit. Before I redeem the points, can I use the "on-board" credit to pre-pay for my excursion and drink package? 

1 hour ago, Sal Brocato said:

This is my first time cruising on Royal Caribbean and I have a quick question. I have the Bank of America Royal Caribbean card and I have points that I am going to redeem. I want to use them for our excursion and drink package. When I redeem my points it states on-board credit. Before I redeem the points, can I use the "on-board" credit to pre-pay for my excursion and drink package? 

After you receive your OBC, you can spend it on cruise planner purchase, or you can use it on the ship. However, point redemptions may take time to process. If there is a good sale before your OBC is credited, you may want to pay with CC. Then on the ship, you can cash out OBC, use it for gratuities or spend it on other room charges.

Sometimes the redeemed OBC takes a while to show up on your Cruise Planner.  While I have never done this myself, I have heard that others have been able to call BofA and have them apply the OBC immediately so that it will be available for your use in the CP.  We use the BofA RC Visa card a LOT and we love it.  Good luck !

they have really started delaying the transfer of on board credit. My last 3 cruises the OBC didn't show up until boarding was under 2 weeks away. Even after calling they would just say we have up until 2 weeks before sailing to apply the points. I have a cruise on Allure March 15 and my request for OBC was 6 months ago.  I believe this is purposeful to prevent you using points for pre-cruise purchases. I plan to stop using my RC Card as I only use it for OBC. 

• 4 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Fastfaller said:

My cruise is 30 days away, should I be worried that calling now won't get them applied on time?

I've always gotten it faster than that.  I've only done on board credit.  But you can also call if you don't see it in a week or so. But it's still a bit of a gamble. Not sure this helps, but it's my thoughts. 

5 hours ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Sorry to break in on this thread but do points ever expire? Can you just keep building up points forever? Cap? 

They do expire.  When you log into your account you can see the points along with their expiration date.  I also believe they are good for 5 years (can’t check at the moment) but if you have an account I’d recommend you check to see. 

On 2/16/2024 at 12:53 PM, loki007 said:

they have really started delaying the transfer of on board credit. My last 3 cruises the OBC didn't show up until boarding was under 2 weeks away. Even after calling they would just say we have up until 2 weeks before sailing to apply the points. I have a cruise on Allure March 15 and my request for OBC was 6 months ago.  I believe this is purposeful to prevent you using points for pre-cruise purchases. I plan to stop using my RC Card as I only use it for OBC. 

I've run into this twice in recent months. In both instances, I had to call and specifically ask them to "push" the OBC through now rather than later. I had to wait on hold for a while but when the process was completed, the OBC showed up in cruise planner within a day. YMMV but I thought I'd mention this for anyone in the same boat 🙂

7 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

They do expire.  When you log into your account you can see the points along with their expiration date.  I also believe they are good for 5 years (can’t check at the moment) but if you have an account I’d recommend you check to see. 

Ok thanks. I think I'm just gonna cash on whatever we have for our October cruise. Is it kind of a pain to cash in for on board credit? 

1 hour ago, 14Terry said:

We cashed in our points online for OBC and they showed up in the planner within two days. 

Lucky you. I'm still waiting.  Cashes some points in a week ago. I had friends that also got theirs in a couple of days.

4 minutes ago, Fastfaller said:

Just cashed mine in, they said 2 weeks or up to 2 days before I sail ... Sucks cuz I want to use the OBC to pay for voom, but it's not there yet.

Where when I log do I see how many points I have? I'm doing this from the Bank of America app by the way. Maybe can only do this from the website? 

1 hour ago, Fastfaller said:

Bumping this hoping someone can answer my inquiry.... Where can I see OBC in the app or website? 

I want to book room with my OBC but I don't know if it is there yet.

When you log into your account it should be at the top of the page. Also when you go to checkout you will be able to select how much of the credit you want applied to your purchase. 

If you are booking a room I would assume it would have to be through the website. 

When already booked you can add excursions, food, etc. to your trip from the app. When you go to checkout there will be a box with the rest of the other payment options that will show you how much OBC you have and how much do you want to apply. 

1 hour ago, bluer101 said:

When you log into your account it should be at the top of the page. Also when you go to checkout you will be able to select how much of the credit you want applied to your purchase. 

If you are booking a room I would assume it would have to be through the website. 

When already booked you can add excursions, food, etc. to your trip from the app. When you go to checkout there will be a box with the rest of the other payment options that will show you how much OBC you have and how much do you want to apply. 

That is not what he is asking about... he is asking about the BOA card, where will it show how much OBC he can get and apply to an upcoming cruise.

I would also like to know where it is as I have looked on the mobile app and on the BOA account site and have not found it yet.

36 minutes ago, Fastfaller said:

I have already cashed in my points and applied them to my rooms. I am wondering if and where I can see the on board credit in the app or on the website.

It should show up in Cruise Planner  when you log in. If there is a delay in crediting your redemption, call the rewards center so they push it through. When onboard existing credit should show Day 2.

So... I signed up for the credit card, spent the money and redeemed the sign on bonus points for OBC, and they showed up on my cruise planner pretty quickly after redemption.  I did one $250 redemption and one $50 redemption.

Then my wife (staying in same room and on the same reservation) also signed up for the card and redeemed the points for OBC, but hers have not shown up.  I didn't see any rules prohibiting this... Does anyone know it it's allowed?  looking to maximize my OBC

17 hours ago, Jolly Ogre said:

That is not what he is asking about... he is asking about the BOA card, where will it show how much OBC he can get and apply to an upcoming cruise.

I would also like to know where it is as I have looked on the mobile app and on the BOA account site and have not found it yet.

When you log in on computer it’s under rewards. 

From the BOA app it’s right on the first page under rewards. 

12 hours ago, akya said:

So... I signed up for the credit card, spent the money and redeemed the sign on bonus points for OBC, and they showed up on my cruise planner pretty quickly after redemption.  I did one $250 redemption and one $50 redemption.

Then my wife (staying in same room and on the same reservation) also signed up for the card and redeemed the points for OBC, but hers have not shown up.  I didn't see any rules prohibiting this... Does anyone know it it's allowed?  looking to maximize my OBC

When you say it showed up on your cruise planner, where exactly is it showing up? That's what I am unclear on. Mine might be there but I don't know where to look 

We boost our BOA Royal Caribbean CC points by “transferring” a room charge for slot machine play.  No cash fees, no ATM charges.  The BOA points roll up each cruise and we cash them in for OBC, and use the OBC for slot play.

We budget a daily bankroll slot budget.  If we win, we pay off our room charge that night.  If not, we pay off the card when it’s due the next month.

On 3/22/2024 at 11:25 AM, Fastfaller said:

When you say it showed up on your cruise planner, where exactly is it showing up? That's what I am unclear on. Mine might be there but I don't know where to look 

It shows up at the top of the page when you first log in to the Cruise Planner.

On 3/22/2024 at 12:25 PM, Fastfaller said:

click on plan my cruise

tHE OBC should show at the top (on a computer)
Or
If you click on the 3 white lines at the top left of the home page (on my phone) that will drop down and at the bottom it will show OBC

if it’s not showing call the credit card points people I posted the number in a response above

IMG_3747.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Pattycruise said:

click on plan my cruise

tHE OBC should show at the top (on a computer)
Or
If you click on the 3 white lines at the top left of the home page (on my phone) that will drop down and at the bottom it will show OBC

if it’s not showing call the credit card points people I posted the number in a response above

IMG_3747.jpeg

Thank you, I appreciate the response!

On 3/18/2024 at 8:56 AM, Shaun530 said:

I've run into this twice in recent months. In both instances, I had to call and specifically ask them to "push" the OBC through now rather than later. I had to wait on hold for a while but when the process was completed, the OBC showed up in cruise planner within a day. YMMV but I thought I'd mention this for anyone in the same boat 🙂

Do you remember the number you called?

On 2/16/2024 at 9:53 AM, loki007 said:

I have always done it this way:

I book all pre cruise items using my RC Visa which gives me double points for all RC purchases. If you purchase far enough in advance you can then use the Double points from this purchase on your upcoming cruise. 

I request my onboard Cruise credits.

I use all onboard credits that I cannot "Cash out" (RCL or TA promo credits) toward any onboard purchases and the rest with my RC Visa as well. 

You then cash out any and all RC Visa Cruise credits at the end of your cruise. (Yes, they refund you the credits in Cash from your RC Visa but not the credits you receive from any RCL or TA promo).

I never use RC Visa onboard credits to make pre cruise purchases or any other cruise  purchases because they do not give even 1 point on my RC Visa. 

I pay for everything via RC Visa because I get 2X points. I receive 0 points on RC Visa for spending Cruise Credits.

So,

1. Use RC visa to purchase everything pre cruise and get 2X points.

2. Request RC Visa onboard credits.

3. Spend all RC and TA promo credits(they cannot be cashed out and will be lost if not used).

4. Use your RC Visa for all onboard transactions (receive 2x points).

5. Cash out all RC Visa Onboard credits on last day of cruise and walk home with $$ in your pocket.

Any thoughts?  I am always up for hearing your thoughts on ways to improve my method.