Recruiting new suite snobs and other tomfoolery on Harmony Of The Seas - Feb 18 - 25th

GregD

22 hours ago, GregD said:

Excursion Plans:

I think this is the first time we have nothing booked through RC and doing everything on our own. We try to split our time up with activities/adventures and lounging so we have a good mix here.

Roatan: We booked the private tour with Victor Bodden again. We will be going to their animal sanctuary, doing some zip lining. We were going to do the ATV adventure with them, but saw a post that turned us off to that. We will probably get some lunch somewhere on the island too. Our friends also booked with them as well, thought we won't be in the same vehicle, so hopefully I can get some pictures of monkeys misbehaving on him. 

Sounds like some fun excursions.   We are booked with Bodden for the first time and curious about the ATV post if you don't mind sharing.  I don't remember which tour we are on except we are meeting the sloths!

13 hours ago, Va4fam said:

Sounds like some fun excursions.   We are booked with Bodden for the first time and curious about the ATV post if you don't mind sharing.  I don't remember which tour we are on except we are meeting the sloths!

It was somewhere here on the blogs, but the poster mentioned that the ATV's are pretty beat up, and one of the reasons is that there are lots of hills, and when you descend the hills, you line up with all the ATV's in a row all touching each other and ride the brakes down the hill like a giant caterpillar. I will see if I can find that post and tag you in it.

1 hour ago, Cactus527 said:

3 MORE DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 😍

I can't wait...

I'm sitting here at the firehouse......really wishing I didn't accept that overtime, and took today off as well. oh well, I just have to make it until 6:30pm on Friday and vacation officially begins.

Current countdown status

IMG_6184.thumb.png.b633124812f6c1d63d0380e1824e239c.pngIMG_6185.thumb.png.a77567ad71b5064f2934ac18c1e0cbf8.png

Laundry has been mostly completed, The Boss made another Bezos order for random things. Everything is falling into place. I'll probably keep her happy and actually pack tomorrow night instead of Saturday morning before heading to the airport. 

The past few years our departures have all been really early the AM. I'm enjoying the prospect that we don't necessarily have to rush out the door at O'dark 30.

49 minutes ago, GregD said:

The past few years our departures have all been really early the AM. I'm enjoying the prospect that we don't necessarily have to rush out the door at O'dark 30.

I'm discovering more and more that I value my time more than saving every single penny. It might cost me $20-30 more to fly later in the day, but I don't have to be at the airport when the bars are still open overnight? Yes please. Glad your flight(s) is/are decent times!

57 minutes ago, Cactus527 said:

I'm discovering more and more that I value my time more than saving every single penny. It might cost me $20-30 more to fly later in the day, but I don't have to be at the airport when the bars are still open overnight? Yes please. Glad your flight(s) is/are decent times!

Same here. We actually got lucky on the flights. Southwest had a change in their schedule on our original flights, so we were actually able to change to better times for the same price, and those new flights were more convenient, but originally way more expensive, so that worked in our favor. 

While in Texas, We probably could have done a shuttle etc and saved a bit, but having the rental car for the week, and parking at the port is much more convenient, especially when you factor in dealing with crowds and the stress of trying to find your driver etc. 

This way we don't have to rush off the ship, our vehicle is waiting, and like you I value my time pretty highly.

40 minutes ago, asquared17 said:

THIS. 

like at least let me have the ~illusion of sleeping. 😅🫠😂

Especially since The Boss isn't a morning person......Being able to get up, have a cup of coffee before heading out the door is key for her. Our flights home will be the same. Our departure is at 11:05 and the hotel is adjacent to the airport.

Me, I'm that annoying guy who can up at 5 ready to go as soon as my feet hit the floor. 

1 hour ago, Cactus527 said:

This was me...until March 2022....lol

4 minutes ago, GregD said:

Especially since The Boss isn't a morning person......Being able to get up, have a cup of coffee before heading out the door is key for her. Our flights home will be the same. Our departure is at 11:05 and the hotel is adjacent to the airport.

Me, I'm that annoying guy who can up at 5 ready to go as soon as my feet hit the floor. 

My whole family, except me, are not morning people. However, ever since that March 2022 fiasco (still traumatized from that), I told them that we are no longer going by what is "convenient for all". We are taking the first flight possible out of DTW on the day of travel. If that means we have to roll off our driveway at 4:30am then so be it. They are all grumbling but at least it gives us more time to drive or make other arrangements if you know what hits the fan.

I am kicking myself because for our cruise in 3 weeks, it was considerably cheaper to take the afternoon flight to MIA from DTW. I booked it thinking I would move it to the early 8:30am flight before final payment. Then, things got crazy in December (when it was final payment time) with my Dad and I forgot to move it. Anyhow, now I am praying that doesn't come back to bite me in 3 weeks. The freeloaders and Hubby are happy though.

2 hours ago, LandstromCruise said:

Hey, your work is NOT stupid.  It is very much appreciated what you do.  

Thank you...

It's also not lost on me that here I am updating this blog...while getting paid.

Hopefully tonight, I can turn the EMS (Emergency Medical Services) portion of my work to mean Earning Money Sleeping

22 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I am kicking myself because for our cruise in 3 weeks, it was considerably cheaper to take the afternoon flight to MIA from DTW. I booked it thinking I would move it to the early 8:30am flight before final payment. Then, things got crazy in December (when it was final payment time) with my Dad and I forgot to move it. Anyhow, now I am praying that doesn't come back to bite me in 3 weeks. The freeloaders and Hubby are happy though.

You are now going out two days prior right? At least you will have that extra buffer🤣

43 minutes ago, GregD said:

You are now going out two days prior right? At least you will have that extra buffer🤣

Yes! So my new rule for pre-cruise flights after March 2022 was to take the very first possible flight out of DTW. Then the ATL fiasco happened in July 2023, and my new rule is: take first flight out of DTW, and fly in two days early whenever possible. I am really liking that extra day buffer.

The daughter has told me that she is packed. She also sent me a picture of the luggage scale.

72974198224__AAEE7B59-5742-44FC-8C78-565CAB97FAF8.thumb.jpeg.26adc0c8d49924d0e5fd973f31a6d110.jpeg

While part of me is proud that she was able to “pack light” as she told me. The pragmatic side of me looks at that, and has the sneaking suspicion that The Boss will see that as an opportunity for her to pack more her own stuff into that bag……soon we will have luggage carts looking like @asquared17

10 minutes ago, GregD said:

The pragmatic side of me looks at that, and has the sneaking suspicion that The Boss will see that as an opportunity for her to pack more her own stuff into that bag……soon we will have luggage carts looking like @asquared17

this is a rookie move.

first of all, you never admit that you have room left in the bags.

secondly, you should HARDLY send ACTUAL PROOF of said room!!!!

...also i suspect the boss will turn you into a luggage cart and make you haul it all, ala me 😆

7 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

We can thank bezos for our luggage scale. It's a lifesaver, we have never had to be those people removing stuff at the airport and having to repack. I watched so many people doing it and had some vintages do it our trips.

We were those people once. We hated every second of it. Worst part was we weighed the bags before going to the airport too.

10 hours ago, asquared17 said:

this is a rookie move.

first of all, you never admit that you have room left in the bags.

secondly, you should HARDLY send ACTUAL PROOF of said room!!!!

...also i suspect the boss will turn you into a luggage cart and make you haul it all, ala me 😆

So I spoke with The Boss this AM. She has already started plotting what she can put in the daughter's suitcase. She informed me that she "doesn't like" the ship towels, so she ordered microfiber towels from The Amazon to bring with us.....

Just call me sherpa

1 hour ago, GregD said:

So I spoke with The Boss this AM. She has already started plotting what she can put in the daughter's suitcase. She informed me that she "doesn't like" the ship towels, so she ordered microfiber towels from The Amazon to bring with us.....

Just call me sherpa

….i do this. 😬😬😬

but it’s just one oversized microfiber for my hair and then i use my own microfiber for the pool deck. 

but that’s honestly because i hate the towel check in/check out process. 

i enjoy the boss and her packing mentality 😂

12 minutes ago, asquared17 said:

….i do this. 😬😬😬

but it’s just one oversized microfiber for my hair and then i use my own microfiber for the pool deck. 

but that’s honestly because i hate the towel check in/check out process. 

i enjoy the boss and her packing mentality 😂

Funny packing story

You should have seen it. There was a time she was traveling for work or maybe a cheer competition for the daughter......regardless, she was driving there. She asked me to carry her suitcase down the stairs for her......What I didn't realize is that she had packed her weighted blanket in the suitcase to bring with her. I grab the bag thinking its going to be light since it was a two day trip, and nearly dislocated my elbow yanking on the bag......

At least with us flying, she won't be packing that...I think......

I'm starting to think this will be me at the port

Unknown.jpeg.a64aa662bb65a1fc386c7a5e4a172b19.jpeg

kindly pass this along:

hello to the boss:

you are inspiring. please accept this humble offering of a travel weighted blanket so that you can continue to travel in style. 

https://www.amazon.com/Gravity-Weighted-Original-Traveling-Outdoors/dp/B09J1M896K/ref=mp_s_a_1_3_maf_1?crid=2VACFN3OCGXSF&keywords=gravity%2Btravel%2Bweighted%2Bblanket&qid=1708098387&sprefix=gravity%2Btr%2Caps%2C192&sr=8-3&th=1&psc=1

best,

a hurricane of a human who overpacks 

49 minutes ago, asquared17 said:

rip to your back!!

sadly…. i’ve failed the boss…. didn’t send this in enough time. 

(my current one is 20 lbs also)

she is a legend!!!!!

you people are crazy!!!  I love my heated blanket, but never thought of traveling with it on a cruise 🤣🤣🤣

On 2/15/2024 at 11:16 AM, GregD said:

Same here. We actually got lucky on the flights. Southwest had a change in their schedule on our original flights, so we were actually able to change to better times for the same price, and those new flights were more convenient, but originally way more expensive, so that worked in our favor. 

While in Texas, We probably could have done a shuttle etc and saved a bit, but having the rental car for the week, and parking at the port is much more convenient, especially when you factor in dealing with crowds and the stress of trying to find your driver etc. 

This way we don't have to rush off the ship, our vehicle is waiting, and like you I value my time pretty highly.

YOU HAVE DISCOVERED MY SOUTHWEST HACK. I seriously book flights the day they become open (7-8 months in advance) and then cross all my body parts that they will have to change the time of the flights (actually pretty likely). THEN I change to the better (read - more expensive) flight time. It doesn't always work out, but it's worked out enough that I pay attention to when they release their schedules!

You all and your weighted blankets. I can't sleep with one, it makes me feel like I'm suffocating. Spouse got me the 10 lb one once (since I love comforters, quilts, and blankets), but I had to pass it off to one of the daughters because it was...too much. And weighted blankets in luggage for flights? What the serious heck. 🤣

@GregD, 28.8 lbs in the suitcase - did she just throw in a pair of shoes and her toothbrush?!?!? I'm *constantly* trying to adjust between 48-52 lbs in my suitcases. This next trip is going to be bad because I'm flying straight to a work conference after debarkation! #thankgoodnessforsouthwestflywith2bagsfree

39 minutes ago, GatorCruiser said:

I don’t think I’m cut out to do a liveblog. Y’all are detailed pre cruise and I know how lazy I am. Plus the beverage package interferes with me likely posting regularly. Good on you though. I’ll follow along. 

Assuming I do one for March, just drop in with comments or pics whenever you feel like it like you mentioned (and are sober enough).

I don't detail anything pre-cruise. If I did it would be something like this...

Saturday: Wife finished packing, I have most of my stuff packed.

Sunday morning: I folded and added my shirts (b/c I hate wrinkles) and we we left the house around 8:45am to get there a little before 10am to park in the garage.

Just now, OCSC Mike said:

Assuming I do one for March, just drop in with comments or pics whenever you feel like it like you mentioned (and are sober enough).

I don't detail anything pre-cruise. If I did it would be something like this...

Saturday: Wife finished packing, I have most of my stuff packed.

Sunday morning: I folded and added my shirts (b/c I hate wrinkles) and we we left the house around 8:45am to get there a little before 10am to park in the garage.

As I said , I’d be glad to contribute. I could even add a little pre cruise info like where we are coming from and staying in cocoa etc. add some color if need be. 

51 minutes ago, Cactus527 said:

28.8 lbs in the suitcase

So this is the teenage daughter....Supposedly The Boss went over her packing list with her so hopefully she has everything. I will verify soon when this tooooo long shift is over. 

51 minutes ago, Cactus527 said:

You all and your weighted blankets. I can't sleep with one

This is ALLLL The Boss. She practically cocoons herself......me, I hate them. I prefer to sleep.......without getting too TMI.......with the barest minimum of things. Give me a pillow and a sheet and I am happy. 

13 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

you're going a on Caribbean cruise! Why on Earth do you need a weighted blanket? lol

Ask The Boss....I'm confused as well🤣

4 hours ago, LandstromCruise said:

you people are crazy!!!  I love my heated blanket, but never thought of traveling with it on a cruise 🤣🤣🤣

only the strong survive 😆

31 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

@asquared17 and @GregD you're going a on Caribbean cruise! Why on Earth do you need a weighted blanket? lol

i can’t speak for the boss BUT i can tell you for me —  it is thermoregulating AND helps with anxiety. i sleep much better with one than without. 💚

also to be fair, our heat goes down to 55 at night and never above 68 during the day on the coldest of winters…. ditto the AC. it sits about 77 at night and then 75 during the day if it’s brutally hot. 

so we tend to cocoon as well. 😂

11 hours ago, GregD said:

We were those people once. We hated every second of it. Worst part was we weighed the bags before going to the airport too.

We also have the luggage hook/lift style scale. Prior to that, my husband would get on our regular scale and then I'd lift the suitcase to him and then we'd find the difference. Needless to say, we were often incorrect on our weight estimates. 

2 hours ago, Cactus527 said:

@GregD, 28.8 lbs in the suitcase - did she just throw in a pair of shoes and her toothbrush?!?!? I'm *constantly* trying to adjust between 48-52 lbs in my suitcases. This next trip is going to be bad because I'm flying straight to a work conference after debarkation! #thankgoodnessforsouthwestflywith2bagsfree

Well I'm wondering if she's missing shorts! Did she end up getting new ones? Are they packed?