Carry on luggage to save money?

Hello more experience travelers. Our family of four (2 adult sized teenagers) will fly to Seattle for an Alaska cruise. Checked bags are $30 each way. We'll have 2 backpacks (counts as personal items for flying) for excursions. Should we take four carry-ons and two checked bags to save $120 (2 bags * $30 * 2 flights) for a total of six bags? Or should we just take use four checked bags and have less luggage to deal with? Is carry-on luggage treated any differently at embarkation? BTW, it's possible I'm my luggage math is off, I'm not yet sure how much we'll need to pack. I'd just like to hear some opinions on carry-on luggage with a trip like this I guess. Thanks!

I've run into this same dilemma - also a family of 4 with 2 adult sized teenagers. For many years, when we had a big vacation, we would bring four 28" checked suitcases. Even if they weren't fully loaded in terms of size, they usually were with weight. Then all of the airlines switched their pricing models and we almost always have those 4 carry on suitcases included as part of the fare. Then we purchase two checked bags, with the four carry ons taking the place of two of our larger bags, just as you said above.

However, the last several times we've flown, the flights have been crowded and they ask if we want to check our carry ons, which we do. Especially since we have the two larger checked bags - we're not rushing off the flight and straight to our transportation; we have to wait for bags anyway so no brainer. It works ok, although as you said, 6 (SIX!!) pieces of luggage feels extreme, even if 4 of them are smaller. 

Also, it seems like two 20" suitcases should easily take the place of one 28" checked bag, but it doesn't really work out exactly the same. The smaller suitcases just have so much outer material, and losing the large interior space just throws our packing off. But I'm not willing to give up the suitcases that I'm paying for already ("free") so we end up making it fit, and yes, taking six suitcases plus our under-seat personal items. 

I really wish that there was an inexpensive option to just upgrade your bags with this fare class, like maybe a $10 surcharge to swap the free carry on with a larger checked bag instead. I'd rather pay $40 and upgrade all 4 of the little bags than even $60 to add on 2 large bag - not just for cost but to reduce the # of bags we have total. ESPECIALLY when it is busy and they want us to check our little bags anyway. 

Sorry I can't be more help, other than to just say that you are not the only one wondering what is the best solution. 

I will say that we just send our "carry ons" with the checked luggage and the porter at the cruise port. We only keep what we have in our backpacks.

12 minutes ago, StuckInOhio said:

Hello more experience travelers. Our family of four (2 adult sized teenagers) will fly to Seattle for an Alaska cruise. Checked bags are $30 each way. We'll have 2 backpacks (counts as personal items for flying) for excursions. Should we take four carry-ons and two checked bags to save $120 (2 bags * $30 * 2 flights) for a total of six bags? Or should we just take use four checked bags and have less luggage to deal with? Is carry-on luggage treated any differently at embarkation? BTW, it's possible I'm my luggage math is off, I'm not yet sure how much we'll need to pack. I'd just like to hear some opinions on carry-on luggage with a trip like this I guess. Thanks!

Luggage is luggage at embarkation. You can check a 20 inch bag just as easily as a 28 inch. That said.

I wouldn't bogg myself down with too much carry on luggage for a flight personally. The $30 bucks to check a bag is always worth it for me. 

Check to see if they charge for carry on bags also. Many carriers now charge for them as well.

Also check out the airlines credit card. Most offer first checked bag free for each member of the reservation. That could be 4 free bags for a party of 4 each way. Most charge a yearly membership fee after the first 365 days. You can open account, use it's perks, and cancel after trip. Never having spent on a yearly subscription. 

Bottom line. Cruising involves multiple clothes changes per day. Schlepping to much carry on luggage on and off flights is a not so fun way to start a trip. Just something to think about.

Your cost is with the airline. The cruise line does not charge  to carry on luggage.

know your comfort level in dragging around carry on bags (I got one need one with wheels).  You can always purchase a checked bag on the way home if you buy souvenirs that take up too much space and need to be in an additional carry on situation, 

Alaska is a whole other ballgame when it comes to packing. Sweatshirts, jackets etc may take up more space than you think.  For airport purposes I use a shopping bag to pack coats into and remove them if they call me out for too many carry ons-they don’t say anything about carrying on a coat.  The coats can be a blanket or pillow on the flight.  I’d rather not carry them around the airport though-that’s why I use the shopping bags. 

We are doing an Alaskan sailings in September, flying Alaskan Air, they charge for checked baggage. But you have a carry-on. I honestly believe you could get away with 6 bags. Two that you check and a carry-on for each of you. My brother and I did that for 16nights of travel. We come from a colder climate and had boots, coats etc.

If it makes any difference, this is one of the reasons why we fly Southwest wherever we can with our family of four (2 adults, 2 teens). Southwest allows two checked bags for free with the fare. I don't know if this is a possibility where you are.

As for at the cruise terminal, you don't have to pay anything to drop off your luggage, you can just tip the porter. I typically do about a dollar bag, so it's not much when it's just me but it could be a sizeable tip when my whole family is there! You also have the option of taking everything on yourself for free, though I don't advise it cuz it gets rather cumbersome.

If it was me, I would pay. You are on vacation. We carry very little on the plane as we don't want to deal with the overhead storage. With that said, we usually fly southwest. But the next 2 cruises we will be using Delta and American. So, we are just going to pay and not worry about it. As to the porters at the port. We usually give $5 for 3 bags. 

We are headed to Alaska this May. 4 adults( me, DH, 24 yo daughter and 81 yo FIL) Each person checking a bag and carrying on a backpack. I am doing a "test run" in 2weeks on Anthem with packing less and doing laundry during the week ( 3 of us get free laundry bag) since we will be taking bulkier things. 

I am willing to pay for the bags to make my life easier with everyone having their own bag and what they need.

I opted for Southwest instead of Alaska Airlines for our Alaskan cruise in May, partially because the extra cost of the checked bags annoyed me. That said, my family flies carry-on only for trips of 5 days or shorter; longer than that, we bite the bullet and check the bags. With having to do layers for Alaska, we're absolutely checking bags.

My opinion is going to be unpopular but I'll let it fly. Budget for paying for bags. It is an Alaskan cruise. Weather is unpredictable. We traveled in August. Some ports were warm (seattle 90s). Some were rainy, some were cold. Also, give thought to excursions. We had hiking boots we wouldn't normally take on a cruise. We did glaciers and bear watching. Those boots and rain gear were worth it. Even just a quick run to Tracy's Crab Shack, it poured. Plan accordingly. 

Thank you all for the good responses! Now that the flights (Delta) are booked, planning packing is the next thing on my list. I'm going to sound like a noob, but I think I'll do a test pack to see how much luggage space we'll need. You've all brought up good points about packing for Alaska and managing the bags on the plane and at the port. Guess a need a packing list, or better yet, a spreadsheet. 🙂 Thanks again.

I struggle with this question as well. Generally,  my solution is to use carry on only if at all possible.  If I do have to check a bag,  I go to the size and weight limit so I can check as possible. 

Once I arrive at the gate, I ask if I can gate check th carry on for free.  I've never had them say no.

18 hours ago, StuckInOhio said:

Not sure what airline you're using, but some offer 1 or 2 free bags if you sign up for their credit card..  Some cards are free others have a small fee.   Just so the math to see if it makes sense.  Alaska is tougher to pack because of the swings in weather.    Pack clothing you can layer.    You can save volume by getting light weight (roll able) rain slickers that you can wear other clothing underneath.  

2 hours ago, StuckInOhio said:

Thank you all for the good responses! Now that the flights (Delta) are booked, planning packing is the next thing on my list. I'm going to sound like a noob, but I think I'll do a test pack to see how much luggage space we'll need. You've all brought up good points about packing for Alaska and managing the bags on the plane and at the port. Guess a need a packing list, or better yet, a spreadsheet. 🙂 Thanks again.

Check out Delta credit card perks. First bag free for each member of the reservation. Cancel card upon return. AKA under 365 days before yearly $99 fee kicks in. 

2 hours ago, Cactus527 said:

If you don't already, you could consider using compression packing cubes - it will save you space in your suitcase and allow you to bring more!

I just ordered a set that my best friend's wife swears made their Iceland cruise a breeze. I test packed some of the extra layers I want to take, and I think they are going to be a true gift from the travel gods!

7 hours ago, TimeRacer said:

I just ordered a set that my best friend's wife swears made their Iceland cruise a breeze. I test packed some of the extra layers I want to take, and I think they are going to be a true gift from the travel gods!

I thought they were a crock of crap for ages...and then I got some as a gift and (reluctantly) tried them. WHY WAS I SO AGAINST THEM???? THEY'RE WONDERFUL!!!!! Glad you're seeing the benefits already too!

11 hours ago, Cactus527 said:

If you don't already, you could consider using compression packing cubes - it will save you space in your suitcase and allow you to bring more!

The next time I do Europe with a lot of trains, I will definitely try these. We took bigger suitcases on our last trip and they were such a pain to travel with. Five days in, I was regretting that we didn't squeeze into smaller suitcases...

Packing cubes, a high quality roller bag, and a shoulder bag you can hang on the handle of the roller bag allows one person to handle enough stuff for a couple of weeks. More with laundry facilities along the way. Airline costs and weight limits not included.

It's ultimately a personal decision. I've done both when flying - checked vs. not, and I much prefer checking my bag rather than lugging it through the airport. Especially if your flight is not direct and you're changing terminals on your connecting flight. Running to catch a flight while lugging excess bags is no fun!

At the cruise terminal, I'd definitely advise checking everything you won't need prior to dinner. It's generally a couple of hours minimum before you can get into your room, which means the ship is super crowded with everyone lugging around their suitcases.

On 1/27/2024 at 9:40 AM, StuckInOhio said:

Don't forget about room for your souvenirs.

On 1/27/2024 at 10:32 PM, Cactus527 said:

I thought they were a crock of crap for ages...and then I got some as a gift and (reluctantly) tried them. WHY WAS I SO AGAINST THEM???? THEY'RE WONDERFUL!!!!! Glad you're seeing the benefits already too!

Do your clothes get really wrinkled with the packing cubes?

2 hours ago, Maggie M said:

Do your clothes get really wrinkled with the packing cubes?

Nope. I watched several YouTube videos on how to fold/pack your clothing to avoid the majority of wrinkles and they worked. I still bring wrinkle releaser spray each time just in case.

No promises if you pack 2 weeks early or something though - that might get wrinkly. 

20 hours ago, Cactus527 said:

Nope. I watched several YouTube videos on how to fold/pack your clothing to avoid the majority of wrinkles and they worked. I still bring wrinkle releaser spray each time just in case.

No promises if you pack 2 weeks early or something though - that might get wrinkly. 

It's in my Amazon cart to get before our next trip! Thanks for the tips!