diamonds go AGAIN!! (an oasis reprise) ~ 2.4.2024-2.11.2024 ~ oasis of the seas

asquared17

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

the beauty of a live blog is the everyone has their own style. That is what makes them all unique and fun to read. 😉 That's my philosophy on them anyway lol

I totally agree but my natural inclination is to make long-winded recaps makes them feel too much like a chore than fun for me so I want to switch for myself more than anything. And if I had a photographer like you do or when I'm with extended family, that would help too, lol. On our 5N Allure in October that I didn't blog, we took maybe a dozen pics. I'm sure my wife will take a few more upon request... I can tell her she needs to make use of her new iPhone and its fancy camera. 😁

41 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

@OCSC Mike @ScottD the beauty of a live blog is the everyone has their own style. That is what makes them all unique and fun to read. 😉 That's my philosophy on them anyway lol

I was considering doing one for my March sailing but I have no idea if it would actually be interesting to anyone. Lots of inspiration via all the blogs on here though !

1 hour ago, OCSC Mike said:

My past blogs have always been so long-winded. I'm trying to learn from you and the other regular bloggers here and hope to share brief comments with a few pics (mostly food/drink obviously) at random times rather than long recaps of each day

43 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

@OCSC Mike @ScottD the beauty of a live blog is the everyone has their own style. That is what makes them all unique and fun to read. 😉 That's my philosophy on them anyway lol

BIG agreement here.  everyone’s style is different and i love that. 💚

4 minutes ago, Cactus527 said:

I was considering doing one for my March sailing but I have no idea if it would actually be interesting to anyone. Lots of inspiration via all the blogs on here though !

It will be... no matter how you post, what you post, how much you post. If you blog it, they will come.

43 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

@asquared17 wishing you and J safe travels home. I have no words for all the Evian that you are carrying home, but I definitely enjoyed following along this week!

hopefully we got you pumped for your trip next month!!

also i will never leave a man — er, evian — behind!!

4 minutes ago, Cactus527 said:

oh but you must!! they’re so much fun 💚

Safe travels home.

Last time on Allure with the group, we ended up taking about 4 bottles of Evian back. Water is too precious to waste.

I want all the blogs. It helps with the lull in cruises. I mean some of us don't live anywhere near a port, so we can live vicariously through the blogs.

Also all perspectives and experiences differ. I deal with shenanigans like people being trifling, @asquared17 has weather and alpha calls/death shenanigans @OCSC Mike has picky wife shenanigans. I say that to say we are here for all shenanigans 🤪 😜 🤣 😂 😆........big or small. So blog away.

13 hours ago, asquared17 said:

it’s a surprise aqua show!!!!!

PURPLE RAINNNNNNN!!!!!!

(once again. me wondering where the loud music was coming from 😂)

Best Day EVER!!!!!

Followed by............

2 hours ago, asquared17 said:

it truly is the worst day

Have a safe trip home. I truly had fun following along here. I feel like this spin on Oasis was maybe less spicy than some of the others for you, despite the crazy weather etc.

Now that you are "done" I can start mine😅 I'm looking forward to some shenanigans. It won't be anything like @Jax, my shirt will be staying on, but there may be some things that @Ampurp85 can relate to. 

More to come........soon

The dreaded worst day.........we typically take a "last" picture of one of us opening cabin door to remember the cabin number years later....but now it's turned into an opportunity to mug for the camera with an overexaggerated frowny face because........you know.....worst day!   Fun to look back at those pics.

@asquared17.....question for you (and everyone)....never been on Harmony but sailing her in October, how does she compare to Oasis) (sailing her again December)?

9 minutes ago, Va4fam said:

The dreaded worst day.........we typically take a "last" picture of one of us opening cabin door to remember the cabin number years later....but now it's turned into an opportunity to mug for the camera with an overexaggerated frowny face because........you know.....worst day!   Fun to look back at those pics.

What a great idea! I'm going to have to do this now... 🤣

13 minutes ago, Va4fam said:

The dreaded worst day.........we typically take a "last" picture of one of us opening cabin door to remember the cabin number years later.

funnily enough, we do a last video of the door closing!!! which i will post later. 

we typically say - “it’s over” in a dejected tone when we do this. 😂

13 minutes ago, Va4fam said:

@asquared17.....question for you (and everyone)....never been on Harmony but sailing her in October, how does she compare to Oasis) (sailing her again December)?

so i am of mixed feelings here; and i will go into more detail in my final thoughts — but TL;DR: you will have a marvelous time on harmony.

the cabins are newer, with a better layout for storage and the bathrooms are better equipped (space tube bigger, sink area wider). there are outlets and USB spots available as well. 

also jamie’s  is on board, which we far prefer to giovanni’s kitchen! we would have definitely had dinner there at least once, if not more, while on board. 

1 hour ago, Ampurp85 said:

I deal with shenanigans like people being trifling, @asquared17 has weather and alpha calls/death shenanigans

1 hour ago, asquared17 said:

not sure how i wound up with the horrifically tragic end of the stick here, but… 😅🙃😅🙃😅🙃😱😂

i think i would just prefer people being trifling tbh 😂

i jinxed myself. 

we have a service dog aboard that i am 99.99% certain IS NOT a service dog; an insane lack of overhead space due to emergency equipment??? and under seat storage that you can’t fit anything under. 

also…… there’s this……

IMG_8239.jpeg

IMG_8240.jpeg

8 minutes ago, asquared17 said:

i jinxed myself. 

we have a service dog aboard that i am 99.99% certain IS NOT a service dog; an insane lack of overhead space due to emergency equipment??? and under seat storage that you can’t fit anything under. 

also…… there’s this……

IMG_8239.jpeg

IMG_8240.jpeg

At least it's socks!   We used to fly SWA frequently and lucky enough to snag the exit row with only 2 seats   The downside to this row is there's no third seat by the window.   Which means the person with the window seat behind my row has the most legroom on the plane.   And also an opportunity to stretch their legs........into our row.  No problem until the leg stretcher is not wearing any shoes.......OR SOCKS!!!    Yep, stinky bare feet magically appeared in our row.   Is that justification for ringing the flight attendant?   (We didn't)

4 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

#understatement

Safe travels and thanks again for sharing!

My past blogs have always been so long-winded. I'm trying to learn from you and the other regular bloggers here and hope to share brief comments with a few pics (mostly food/drink obviously) at random times rather than long recaps of each day. Step one is actually taking pics, lol.

You can DO it!!! (And you know we'll all be here for it).🤗

27 minutes ago, asquared17 said:

i jinxed myself. 

also…… there’s this……

IMG_8240.jpeg

I think you know EXACTLY what I'd say here, so I'll just say half.

You wouldn't have to put up with any of this if ..... 🤣🤣🤣

On 2/5/2024 at 8:19 AM, asquared17 said:

because the captain had pulled in that morning instead of backing in, we had to go down to the end and turn around. even though we were (once again) the last ones to leave, it was pretty cool, and we saw the other ships departing. also we had the benefit of seeing things on both the port and starboard sides because of being reoriented. 

I am re-quoting this old post because I just looked at the Port of Miami webcam and noticed that the captain is turned around again today, facing Miami. I really hope this continues until our March 10th sailing. I love that turnaround in the basin for sail away! That only happened once to us on Freedom.

2 hours ago, GregD said:

Now that you are "done" I can start mine😅 I'm looking forward to some shenanigans. It won't be anything like @Jax, my shirt will be staying on

Haha, where’s the fun in that.  I want to see some #starclassbehavingbadly content! Berty saw pictures of our photo shenanigans; we joked with him about them having a board in back of office with our pictures pinned showcasing all the outrageous stuff star class guests do.  Looking forward to your blog.  

3 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I am re-quoting this old post because I just looked at the Port of Miami webcam and noticed that the captain is turned around again today, facing Miami. I really hope this continues until our March 10th sailing. I love that turnaround in the basin for sail away! That only happened once to us on Freedom.

it is really the coolest thing 😍 i hope you guys get the turnaround too!!

5 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

My past blogs have always been so long-winded. I'm trying to learn from you and the other regular bloggers here and hope to share brief comments with a few pics (mostly food/drink obviously) at random times rather than long recaps of each day. Step one is actually taking pics, lol.

I thought the same thing about my last blog (first, last, only so far) - I put way too many words into each post. I would type them into a Google doc so I didn't lose anything and then copy/paste into the blog, but I felt like I should have broken up some of the content and interspersed the pictures. It also felt like it took so much time out of my day and I think just having a few smaller posts instead of one ginormous one would have taken less time all at once. I was debating whether I should blog or not on my next one because it is a new ship to us (Symphony) and I'll have less free/down time and my parents are sailing with us and will require more of my engagement as well. 

3 hours ago, Cactus527 said:

I was considering doing one for my March sailing but I have no idea if it would actually be interesting to anyone. 

@Cactus527 I thought the same thing, and then:

2024-02-11.png.6465439db4b307a8e8a8adb3d50429fb.png

7 minutes ago, Jax said:

Haha, where’s the fun in that.  I want to see some #starclassbehavingbadly content! Berty saw pictures of our photo shenanigans; we joked with him about them having a board in back of office with our pictures pinned showcasing all the outrageous stuff star class guests do.  Looking forward to your blog.  

I will see what I can do! I did tell Berty that we like to have fun, but would most likely keep our shirts on🤣

Sneak preview……I am recruiting a new suite snob on this trip. One of my coworkers is sailing this cruise too, and if you know firemen, all we do is play pranks and mess with each other soooooooo, I’ve been busy spending his money and the guys and I on my shift have been plotting ways to mess with him while on the cruise…..more to come🤣🤣🤣

2 minutes ago, jbrinkm said:

It also felt like it took so much time out of my day

Blogging can be a full time job sometimes. This is one reason I’m glad I’m somehow an early riser on cruises. I typically wake up before anyone else and can find a quiet place on the ship to enjoy a coffee and do some posting. 

19 minutes ago, jbrinkm said:

I put way too many words into each post. I would type them into a Google doc so I didn't lose anything and then copy/paste into the blog

Yep. I was just using "Notes" on my phone and it wasn't exactly optimal.

19 minutes ago, jbrinkm said:

It also felt like it took so much time out of my day and I think just having a few smaller posts instead of one ginormous one would have taken less time all at once.

I mostly wrote my last one (also my first) when we were just chilling on the suite sun deck with the family (which would normally be the Solarium when I'm not freeloading) so that part worked out OK but we don't spend a ton of time lying out when it's just us. I agree it will feel far less time consuming to randomly post a few comments with a few pics (hopefully) whenever I'm not busy.

12 minutes ago, GregD said:

Blogging can be a full time job sometimes. This is one reason I’m glad I’m somehow an early riser on cruises. I typically wake up before anyone else and can find a quiet place on the ship to enjoy a coffee and do some posting. 

i would sometimes feel bad when i was catching up on some posts at dinner — but very grateful it was just J and i for this reason 💚

i found catching a peaceful time in the crown lounge, or taking advantage of our pre-vintage bed time was often when i got most up to date, so to speak.

17 minutes ago, jbrinkm said:

It also felt like it took so much time out of my day and I think just having a few smaller posts instead of one ginormous one would have taken less time all at once.

this was something i learned to do to break it up for my own process; although i feel like it somewhat falls under the category of — each blogger is different (and of course, we love it because of that fact!)

also i feel that we all cover different topics, which i personally love. not just because we can see what each person is most interested in, but also to get a feel for each other’s likes/dislikes and personalities. 

i am sure if any of you met me in real life, you would not be surprised that i gesture wildly like the italian i am, wear red lipstick, and love to laugh. i am dramatic and fascinated by humans (when i can watch from a safe distance) and have my own internal order to keep (usually by way of my caravan of luggage) to keep my Type A personality in check. 💚

live-blogging and having that back and forth with everyone is like having a dinner party and getting to know your new friends (who LOVE CRUISING) better 😊

i like understanding each of you a little better when we all engage in each other’s blogs. 💚🥰🤩🥳

7 minutes ago, jbrinkm said:

One thing I LOVE about @asquared17 blogs is that she (you) replies so thoughtfully and expressively to everyone's comments. She (you) really is/are a fantastic "host." If I do do (doodoo 😆) another blog, I want to try to replicate more of that rather than just putting content out there. 

Agreed... and I'd certainly try but there's no way I could come close to matching her. I'm also confident my posts won't elicit anywhere near the number of responses and discussions for various reasons... but I'm totally OK with that.

I am definitely a long-winded blogger, but....I enjoy it, and since I only blog when traveling solo, it's a fun thing to do, to share all the everythings. 😀

This has bern a fantastic blog, so fun to travel along and get swept up in that crazy CocoCay weather! 😵‍💫 

It feels like Oasis is such a beloved and ever-popular ship, doesn't it?

NO DEATHS this time! That's a win!

I am looking forward to your final thoughts.

That sock person on the plane.....what on earth. 🤢 At some point, people seem to have decided personal comfort trumps common manners. And....civilization. 

5 hours ago, asquared17 said:

also jamie’s  is on board, which we far prefer to giovanni’s kitchen!

I literally just read a post on that other cruise blog site and they said how glad they were Giovannis was still on Oasis because some of the other Oasis class ships were ruined with Jamie's.  I haven't had either, just found it funny that i saw exact opposite opinions in a matter of minutes. 

Also, on the blog front...I think I just rambled and wrote all of mine in one shot at the end of each night, and did it from memory..which made me leave stuff out.  Next time I'm gonna take little notes as the day goes on, and construct an actual post a few times a day.  I love all the blogs, whether they're detailed to the minute,or just quick hits here and there. When I first found this site I never came to the blogs section...now it's one of my favorite parts! 

3 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

One thing I LOVE about @asquared17 blogs is that she (you) replies so thoughtfully and expressively to everyone's comments. She (you) really is/are a fantastic "host." If I do do (doodoo 😆) another blog, I want to try to replicate more of that rather than just putting content out there. 

3 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

(P.S. I was already writing that before @asquared17 last post, which just proves my point...)

omg 💚🥰💚🥰💚🥰💚🥰💚 thank you so much 💚💚💚

1 hour ago, She Sails Away said:

NO DEATHS this time! That's a win!

is it bad that i was thinking this also??! 😅

1 hour ago, She Sails Away said:

That sock person on the plane.....what on earth. 🤢 At some point, people seem to have decided personal comfort trumps common manners. And....civilization. 

the sock person…. i truly had no words. 

a lawless country, INDEED!!!

26 minutes ago, ScottD said:

they said how glad they were Giovannis was still on Oasis because some of the other Oasis class ships were ruined with Jamie's

i do feel like this is a polarized subject tbh. 😂 but it makes me think of ELF vs sabor.

i personally love sabor more; it has better guac, it’s a great dinner option that doesn’t break the bank, and it’s sit down so it’s slightly more civilized. 

HOWEVER. even i cannot deny the convenience of ELF and how it fast became my lunch go-to. 

my issue with gio’s kitchen is that we have some REALLY kickass italian food in NJ. so the “traditional” dishes at GK do not appeal to me. whereas jamie’s has some options i would not readily have available at home. 

very similar to @JohnK6404’s thoughts about hooked. we have REALLY good seafood at the shore. so my expectations were properly set and i got what i couldn’t get here at home — a massive lobster that nearly took me down 😂

30 minutes ago, ScottD said:

When I first found this site I never came to the blogs section...now it's one of my favorite parts! 

same!!! my favorite section 💚💚

home safe; second load of laundry in and i’m devouring a leftover pizza. 

i should probably turn on the TV at some point for kickoff 🏈🏉🏈 but i’m staring at my bags and wondering if i have enough left in the tank to fully unpack. 😅

i am looking forward to sleeping in my own bed 💚

…it will be a bit weird not to hear “power of love” or “purple rain” muffled in the background as i drift off, though… 😂

1 hour ago, asquared17 said:

we have some REALLY kickass italian food in NJ

The same here in NY, as well as my own kitchen! I grew up cooking with my Italian grandmother, which is why The Boss tolerates me. On our first date I made her favorite food, lasagna. She was hooked from then on. 

For me, I still like Giovanni's over Jamies. I have not had the opportunity to try GT. I do keep my expectations in check knowing that it certainly isn't authentic, but it's mostly edible. I will always have a gripe with Jamies for serving tartar sauce with calamari.....stupid Brits....(actually, I don't really like anything that Jamie Oliver does) but there are a few things there that I do like.

side note: I find it funny that most of the pictures on the RC site for these restaurants show dishes that aren't on the menu.