No more Ben and Jerry's

8 minutes ago, ScottD said:

I agree... I haven't sailed Carnival, but the Guy Fieri burger and BBQ joints  and even Shaq's chicken, would both help sell me if I was looking for something new

They also have a deal with Emerill correct? I mean I don't get it, Royal Caribbean is going gangbusters right now with bookings and profit. It's shortsighted to think they can make a few extra bucks by cutting these things out. It's just strange, very strange. It has this lousy new CEO written all over it. I don't like him at all. 

18 hours ago, CrimsonCruiser said:

Which really does suck when compared to whale-tail line or the house of mouse that really lean into brand deals and theming to pull people aboard...

It's interesting you bring this up, because I believe Royal has dropped celeb chefs and/or branded deals like this because they feel they can do it just as good on their own (food wise, not necessarily marketing).

When Royal dropped Dreamworks, they said something to the effect that they have developed enough of their in-house entertainment to not have to rely on a third-party.

24 minutes ago, Matt said:

It's interesting you bring this up, because I believe Royal has dropped celeb chefs and/or branded deals like this because they feel they can do it just as good on their own (food wise, not necessarily marketing).

The main reason for the branded agreements (not just cruising, but about anywhere) is for the marketing angle, not food quality. So it makes sense to ditch the likely expensive celebrity hook and just rely on your own logo to market. 

1 hour ago, JFCruise said:

Apparently their new ice cream parlor that replaces B&J is now called...Ice Cream Parlor (amazed at the creativity there!). The C&A benefits PDF has been updated as well as the name on the app.

image.png.b6c6ff676db66d2a0e4dc190337eacaf.png

And now my joke about Johnny rockets turning into "The Royal burger shack" isn't so funny anymore. 🤣 That is amazing creativity Royal, well done. 

2 hours ago, JFCruise said:

Apparently their new ice cream parlor that replaces B&J is now called...Ice Cream Parlor (amazed at the creativity there!). The C&A benefits PDF has been updated as well as the name on the app.

Baskin Robbins 31 Flavors was already taken? 🤪

I recently read the copyright protection for Steamboat Willy era Mickey Mouse ends on Jan. 1st. There's a possibility................

43 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Just to be clear I'm sure the ice cream will taste just fine, I'm sure it'll be very good. It's just so weird the saving of a few bucks on something like this. In the end I don't like it. It's not like the price of cruises will go down or anything. 

We had some of this ice cream on Oasis , it's good- better than the soft serve crap and a few varieties, so it was a nice treat once. Not something I'll get regularly but maybe once a trip for the kid

On 12/15/2023 at 1:18 PM, RCIfan1912 said:

Yeah its regional thought to the North East. We are in NJ where we sail from. 🤣 It is excellent store bought ice cream.

We've started getting it here in Texas. While I generally prefer Blue Bell, I can't afford $8 for a half gallon so I only but it when its on sale. Turkey Hill is pretty good, too.

On 12/18/2023 at 2:58 PM, CrimsonCruiser said:

we joke but I do think this is the direction they're going overall. Dropped Jaime's for their in-house Giovanni's; dropped b&J for their in-house Ice cream; starting to serve more Starbucks at cafe promenade so I imagine the kiosks will be going away soon....and yeah..JR probably going next..

Which really does suck when compared to whale-tail line or the house of mouse that really lean into brand deals and theming to pull people aboard....

I don't know if having their own stuff is really going to entice new cruisers to pick Royal over the other options out there... Sometimes people need that taste of the familiar to pull them to try something new

I have to say, I was underwhelmed by Jamie's Italian on Anthem, but loved the older version of Giovanni's on Radiance.

I 100% agree - other lines seem to make partnerships work, as do resorts on land. I freely admit to being tempted by Emeril Lagasse's role with Carnival to give them a try.