From Canada…to Canada: Discovering Liberty, Eh? – LB 08/24/23 – 09/02/23

Lovetocruise2002

About the Boston Cruise terminal…we have never departed from here before, but I do know that cruise ships leave from here. This was not what I imagined. This terminal is basically a warehouse. Maybe it looks better on embarkation day but I don’t know…

37a63ea1-7210-421d-970f-5f3b70a4473e.jpeg

ae2e3d17-2372-45f3-b2a9-b79c46e9f2b4.jpeg

dafe256a-f971-400d-b0ac-e95e47438252.jpeg

@Lovetocruise2002. My mom and I are on the next 9 night Canada and New England sailing on Liberty on September 7, so I've been following your live blog.

One of my must dos for the cruise is getting a lobster roll in Portland. I hadn't even thought of getting one at Quincy Market. Thanks for the tip!

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Back on the ship now and I never realized how close the airport is from the cruise terminal here in Boston. I can literally see the planes on the runway from our balcony.

Fun fact: when Anthem (or any Quantum Class ship for that matter) is docked in Boston, North Star cannot operate due to the port's proximity to Logan. I know because i asked for a Maho Beach smackdown experience and was politely rebuffed. 

38 minutes ago, SMOKEY0202 said:

Did you get some for the road as well?

No because I did not think that we could bring food back on board….please don’t tell me that I could have because there were so many other cannoli flavours that I wanted to try out! 

9 minutes ago, shady said:

@Lovetocruise2002. My mom and I are on the next 9 night Canada and New England sailing on Liberty on September 7, so I've been following your live blog.

One of my must dos for the cruise is getting a lobster roll in Portland. I hadn't even thought of getting one at Quincy Market. Thanks for the tip!

If there is anything specific you want me to find out, don’t hesitate to ask. We might get a Lobster roll in Portland too. But the ones in Quincy Market looked so good today we could not pass it up. 

9 minutes ago, SweetPea said:

Fun fact: when Anthem (or any Quantum Class ship for that matter) is docked in Boston, North Star cannot operate due to the port's proximity to Logan. I know because i asked for a Maho Beach smackdown experience and was politely rebuffed. 

Hmm…you learn something new everyday. 🙂

The last two hours or so since we have been back on board, kids and Hubby went to do the slides and FlowRider. This is the first “nice weather” day we have had since Wednesday in NYC. It was steady rain both Thursday and Friday and cold too. 

We are switching it up tonight. Going to see “Encore! An Ice Spectacular” at 7pm and then keep it casual and have dinner in the WJ afterwards. No one is hungry right now anyway. We had a great eating day in Boston! 

Oh, before I forget, I spoke to one of the senior directors for housekeeping in the hallway earlier. He asked me if I got my kettle. I guess they are talking about me 😂Anyway, he told me that apparently for the last few months, they are phasing out kettles in all the suites that are Freedom class and under. So just an interesting FYI. 

2 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

he told me that apparently for the last few months, they are phasing out kettles in all the suites that are Freedom class and under

good grief. if i were a religious tea drinker, this would be my reminder to me to stay on oasis class only 🙃😅

also your lobster rolls looked INSANE. 😍 

1 hour ago, asquared17 said:

good grief. if i were a religious tea drinker, this would be my reminder to me to stay on oasis class only 🙃😅

also your lobster rolls looked INSANE. 😍 

I am a religious tea drinker and I between now and March 2025, I have two more non-OA/QN booked. I am seriously considering making those my last two. 

1 hour ago, Ampurp85 said:

I don't eat the lobstah, but those cannoli's look so good. Also weather looks pretty good in Boston right now.

They were everything Google and TripAdvisor reviews said they were. I have never had a better cannoli. The cream puff was delicious too. D17 liked it way more than I did, but still really yummy! 

We had such a chill evening. It is a complete 180° from our usual cruise evenings. Hubby did not return from the FlowRider until 6pm. We headed to the ice show, which was pretty decent. Then, off we went to the WJ for dinner. The last time we did WJ dinner was back in 2005 on a med cruise when we were way too tired to do late seating in the MDR. For anyone wondering, the theme tonight was “A Taste of Asia” in both the MDR and WJ. 

Some photos from the ice show. Video clips are on IG. 

9873a66d-b3b3-4a6f-84f3-e6a979b1bb1c.thumb.jpeg.81300bd865892b6f0357356a4ae25887.jpeg

So my brother has this.......

Amazon.com: Outin Nano Portable Electric Espresso Machine with 3-4 Min Self-Heating, 20 Bar Mini Small 12V 24V Car Coffee Maker, Compatible with NS Capsule & Ground Coffee for Camping, Travel, RV, Hiking, Office: Home & Kitchen

I am sure you could find one that makes tea. 

Royal trying to standardize things by getting rid of things is sort of crazy. Why not just ask if you prefer the kettle or coffee maker. 

9 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Then, off we went to the WJ for dinner. The last time we did WJ dinner was back in 2005 on a med cruise when we were way too tired to do late seating in the MDR. For anyone wondering, the theme tonight was “A Taste of Asia” in both the MDR and WJ. 

Yeah, they have often lined up with each other in some fashion. Even back in the day, you could usually find a good number of the exact same MDR items in the WJ. On one cruise (and only that one time for us) they actually had lobster tails in the WJ on lobster night. We joked at the time that they must have had extra that were going to expire... though it may have been the actual reason, lol. In any case, I ate very well that night. 🤣

Our next sailing is on the Adventure so I'm on Amazon now, (thanks @Ampurp85 looking at travel tea kettles.) There are some nice ones, I'm just hoping I purchase one that doesn't make the Prohibited items table! Ugh, suite amenities on these ships are silly at this point; no included internet, no tea kettle, I'm happy I love this southern itinerary for the 8 nights.

While I wasn't a fan of the Wonder I prefer the her older sisters, I may try her again like @OCSC Mike suggests. 

It's going to be a minute before we sail again so I started looking at Celebrity now. She will have a ship homeported in Port Canaveral starting December 2024 I believe. I'm thinking this is the sign to start spreading my wings. That Pinnacle status is becoming less and less and less likely. I'm sure the company doesn't mind that at all. 

Enjoying this trip report so much, keep those pictures coming please?

14 minutes ago, Neesa said:

While I wasn't a fan of the Wonder I prefer the her older sisters, I may try her again like @OCSC Mike suggests.

@Neesa I only suggested Wonder over Adventure while I'll be on her next June, lol. Was it really the ship itself or the suite neighborhood experience you had? If the deck 17/18 doors were suddenly locked 24/7 like the SL doors on other ships, I feel like it would have made a difference (not that we can make that magically happen). I'm also not sure we can do anything about the % of new cruisers and kids in June.

My impression is that you'd be fine without as many bells and whistles (and I don't expect many people to appreciate having extra included food venues like I do) but I know you like CK (what's not to like).

Looking into Celebrity out of PC sounds like a good idea based on your posts and my very limited knowledge of Celebrity.

Wait please tell me those donuts use potato flour...😍😢. They look so good, I'm jealous. I prefer a cake donut to any other sweet. But I also prefer potatoes to any other food. If both were combined 🥰😘

@Neesa my brother hated having to wait for certain hours for coffee and tea, he actually has both. But keeps the tea kettle in his office. I will find out which one and post it when I get a chance.

29 minutes ago, Neesa said:

It's going to be a minute before we sail again so I started looking at Celebrity now

I am also looking at alternatives but it’s not proving to be easy.  There are suite perks/policies I like from various cruise lines. If only we could combine them. Lol  I have been reading about recent changes to the Aqua and Sky suites in the Retreat that have annoyed some people and while I like NCL risk free cancellation policy and some of the haven perks there are other things I don’t like. 

2 hours ago, Neesa said:

Our next sailing is on the Adventure so I'm on Amazon now, (thanks @Ampurp85 looking at travel tea kettles.) There are some nice ones, I'm just hoping I purchase one that doesn't make the Prohibited items table!

Ok, I am going to sound like a suite snob here, so apologies and scroll on if anyone doesn’t want to hear my vent. I should not have to pay a ton and sail in a suite, and have to bring my own kettle. That is just simply annoying and it’s the principle of it all. Never mind the fact that I don’t have space in my luggage for a kettle. That is why this whole situation bugs me. 

2 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

All this talk of travel kettles...coffee makers are on the no-no packing list, wouldn't that extend to kettles as well?

I think so. I have seen quite a few kettles on the naughty table in the past.

2 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

Wait please tell me those donuts use potato flour...😍😢. They look so good, I'm jealous. I prefer a cake donut to any other sweet. But I also prefer potatoes to any other food. If both were combined 🥰😘

Yes! They are potato donuts. So heavy, but so good! If you prefer a “bread” type donut, they aren’t for you. These are more cake like for sure and they are not chewy like how some donuts are. D17 prefers more bread like donuts so while she still thought it was good, there are other types of donuts that we have had that she likes better. But I loved them. 

1 hour ago, OCSC Mike said:

I recently posted this somewhere (don't think it was here though)... suite life sure is complicated.

You guys are making me appreciate being frugal and easily pleased. 🤣

I hope everyone finds what they're looking for.

Yep, makes things alot easier.