Passport and Birth Certificate

20 minutes ago, Cakemeister said:

I'm going on a cruise in January and my passport expires in May. Just in case, I'm bringing a birth certificate. It is possible that they won't accept my passport since it expires less than six months after the cruise.

Yes that is possible. That isn’t just a RC policy, but it’s actually a requirement for many foreign countries for entry. RC has to enforce those requirements if they visit those countries. Some people get on with no issues with a passport expiring within 6 months, but it’s something they absolutely have the right to prevent you from boarding for. Bring back up! 

2 minutes ago, Ryan79 said:

Yes that is possible. That isn’t just a RC policy, but it’s actually a requirement for many foreign countries for entry. RC has to enforce those requirements if they visit those countries. Some people get on with no issues with a passport expiring within 6 months, but it’s something they absolutely have the right to prevent you from boarding for. Bring back up! 

We took a last minute cruise once and our passports expired on the last day before returning home, lol. We boarded with our passports and disembarked with our BC/DL.

@OCSC Mike Yeah, it’s all up to how much the person doing your check in is wanting to pay attention. Many many many people have had no issues at all, just like you. But again, it’s something they “can” deny you for. Be prepared, bring back up and you will be OK. If you rely on the expiring passport to be overlooked, then you are setting yourself up to be one of the times this gets actually enforced. My wife had an airline reject her expiring passport when we were booking an international flight 2 years ago. The country required the 6 month rule. Luckily I booked the flight 10 months in advance so she had plenty of time to renew. 

50 minutes ago, Cakemeister said:

I'm going on a cruise in January and my passport expires in May. Just in case, I'm bringing a birth certificate. It is possible that they won't accept my passport since it expires less than six months after the cruise.

If you are doing a closed-loop US cruise you will have no problem. My passport expired in June and I used it many times to sail up through the end of May, at which time I sent it in for renewal.  I brought my Birth Certificate with me just in case but never needed it.  I am now cruising using my BC as my new passport has not yet arrived.  It’s been very easy.

58 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

If you are doing a closed-loop US cruise you will have no problem. My passport expired in June and I used it many times to sail up through the end of May, at which time I sent it in for renewal.  I brought my Birth Certificate with me just in case but never needed it.  I am now cruising using my BC as my new passport has not yet arrived.  It’s been very easy.

I keep seeing this “closed loop is ok”

had a cruise that started and ended in Texas and passports were required because we went to Columbia. I’m  Booked for a Greenland cruise next month and  lots of people are finding out it’s passport only, in fact when checking in there were no options for anything except for a passport, so lots of people having an “oh sh!t” moment .   This sailing begins and ends in NJ. 

4 minutes ago, Pattycruise said:

had a cruise that started and ended in Texas and passports were required because we went to Columbia. I’m  Booked for a Greenland cruise next month and  lots of people are finding out it’s passport only, in fact when checking in there were no options for anything except for a passport, so lots of people having an “oh sh!t” moment .   This sailing begins and ends in NJ. 

There are always exceptions and they're worth mentioning. Most people likely have the Caribbean/Bahamas in mind when they state the closed loop BC acceptability.

I have a SIL cruising in September to Alaska, closed loop Seattle to Seattle. Her passport is being renewed and will not be back in time. She has been a US citizen for 40+ years but her BC is from Poland. Royal's travel documents info only mentions "state issued" birth certificates that I read. Anyone have any knowledge or experience with a similar situation? 

10 minutes ago, fireclan said:

I have a SIL cruising in September to Alaska, closed loop Seattle to Seattle. Her passport is being renewed and will not be back in time. She has been a US citizen for 40+ years but her BC is from Poland. Royal's travel documents info only mentions "state issued" birth certificates that I read. Anyone have any knowledge or experience with a similar situation? 

US states only.

On 8/11/2023 at 1:15 PM, Cakemeister said:

EDIT: Cruising from Galveston, closed-loop.

There is no possibility they will refuse your passport. 

On 8/11/2023 at 1:35 PM, Ryan79 said:

Not a single island on a Galveston itinerary requires 6 month validity for cruisers. This is outlined in the WHTI

I bring passport. Then I bring United States Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Officer credential. (Fancy words for fishing charter boat captain license). That would confuse them then add my security cleared TWIC and Homeland Security SBO and their heads would spin... 😄 😄 😄  I did a few a long time ago using BC and Crown and Anchor has not been able to find those sailings.  Still if passport is nearing expiration bringing the BC as back up can't hurt. 

Fiance has passport in Maiden name but Drivers License still married name. Brings a bridging doc (Marriage license) to cover that.

16 hours ago, fireclan said:

Ex wife was South African . We used her green card (permanent resident) before becoming citizen then her Naturalization documents with BC til a passport was issued.

I am curious...addressed to anyone who recently renewed their passport...I sent in my application for passport renewal almost 8 weeks ago. The renewal before that took about 4 weeks. How long has it been taking for renewals to completed and new books issued? Also, one of the reasons I got a passport card several years ago was to have a backup when I do the passport book renewal, so I think this is a decent backup plan for a late October cruise (there would still be a little more than 6 months on it)....I will also have my birth certificate as a backup to the backup.

Just curious to see what experiences people are having right now.

2 hours ago, DunkelBierJay said:

I am curious...addressed to anyone who recently renewed their passport...I sent in my application for passport renewal almost 8 weeks ago. The renewal before that took about 4 weeks. How long has it been taking for renewals to completed and new books issued? Also, one of the reasons I got a passport card several years ago was to have a backup when I do the passport book renewal, so I think this is a decent backup plan for a late October cruise (there would still be a little more than 6 months on it)....I will also have my birth certificate as a backup to the backup.

I sent mine in June.  Still haven’t gotten it.  I didn’t pay for any kind of expediting.  The status still say “processing”.  <sigh>

On 8/11/2023 at 2:15 PM, Cakemeister said:

EDIT: Cruising from Galveston, closed-loop.

A group of us just cruised on Oasis a few weeks ago and one of the passports expires in 2 months.  She had no issue at all…no one questioned it or wanted further certification.

9 hours ago, DunkelBierJay said:

While checking on a flight in the Delta app I read their “important info” section and it mentions renewals are taking over 11 weeks and expedited renewals are taking about 7 weeks.  

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an update on my passport renewal...I got nowhere checking the State Dept website or calling. It all just said "processing." I love specifics.

My passport arrived yesterday after fourteen weeks. If I was my old procrastinating self, I would be hitting my next cruise on a birth certificate...if I didn't have a passport card.

Follow up question to this... Looking at a closed loop US cruise, visiting Bahamas. Would the passport rules on this also apply for kids? My kids (all under 13) all have good passports but would be expiring in a few months (less than 6) at the time of the cruise I'm looking at. I didn't know if it made a difference kids vs adults. My take away is, likely okay due to type of cruise and passport still good at the time of use. Thoughts?

On 8/11/2023 at 4:12 PM, Pattycruise said:

Royal is sending out emails regarding our Greenland cruise in September. 

IMG_0504.thumb.jpeg.5bbfcd0704010a2dc9932dd65bf6bc94.jpeg