Bahamas Tax Update

hot off the presses....

"The Bahamian government has implemented a change to their departure tax amounts for all cruise guests visiting the Bahamas on or after January 1, 2024. As a result, we will be updating your reservation with the new amount.

Your adjusted taxes and fees will reflect on your booking before your final payment due date. Your tax amount may have changed from $1 to $14, depending on the itinerary you booked, and your travel partner has been notified of this update. Bookings are being updated in phases based on the sailing date. There is nothing for you to do, we just wanted to keep you informed!

We realize this is an unexpected charge and apologize for any inconvenience. Thank you for your understanding and we look forward to welcoming you onboard.

Sincerely,

Aurora Yera-Rodriguez
AVP | Guest Experience"

ScreenShot2023-07-27at3_16_35PM.thumb.png.f19ce057a3f1a3c043bd1557a4dc7c3b.png

Got my email today and know it won't impact our cruise selections in the future.  We stopped getting off in certain ports years ago but unless Nassau reigns in the pushy salespeople they will lose even more future cruisers who will also choose just to stay on the ship.  Before the remodel I felt very nervous entering thru a narrow chain link fence with so many people yelling at all of us cruisers that it's now a restful day spent on the ship.

12 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

The weird thing is I got this notice a week ago and the information isn't consistent.

Inconsistent is right.  Our TA is trying to figure it out. I got an email(s) 7 cruises adjusted (some PDCC, some Nassau).  Every email has a different amount.  Smallest $7 higher, Largest $51 higher.  Has to be an RCCL funny-math thing.  We'll see. 

42 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

I just hope the few dollars don't cause a cancelation because it's still saying I don't owe a balance.

I was told by my TA that the actual invoices are still being updated in phases, that’s why. The letters indicating your increase/decrease are independent of your actual account/invoices. Think of them as more of a “FYI, these adjustments are coming” notification.

3 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

I was told by my TA that the actual invoices are still being updated in phases, that’s why. The letters indicating your increase/decrease are independent of your actual account/invoices. Think of them as more of a “FYI, these adjustments are coming” notification.

I figured that but since it was over a week since mine came, I had start looking. 

I've seen people posting these for the past week or so, and they've all had different numbers- one said it was a matter of cents, others saying it was 40-50 bucks. As of now I only have one cruise (with RC) scheduled and its in October.... but I do have one with MSC to Nassau and their private island next year, wonder if I'll get something from them about this 

11 minutes ago, Xaa said:

Goes into effect first of the year.  Increase is from $18 to $23 for the ports, to $25 for private islands.  Then an additional $7 made up of $2 Tourism Enhancement Tax and $5 Tourism Environmental Tax.

https://www.travelandleisure.com/bahamas-to-increase-tax-on-cruise-passengers-7553900

Yet some people have had their taxes DECREASED for certain cruises. 🤷‍♂️

I'm saving about $7 next July on Wonder (going to CocoCay).

Personally, I'm not even going to try to understand the math. Whatever my new invoice is, I'll pay it at final payment and move on.

13 hours ago, ScottD said:

I've seen people posting these for the past week or so, and they've all had different numbers- one said it was a matter of cents, others saying it was 40-50 bucks. As of now I only have one cruise (with RC) scheduled and its in October.... but I do have one with MSC to Nassau and their private island next year, wonder if I'll get something from them about this 

I also have one with RC in October (Oasis 10/15), and MSC in January (Meraviglia 1/26). 

16 hours ago, ScottD said:

but I do have one with MSC to Nassau and their private island next year, wonder if I'll get something from them about this 

us too (i know we are cruise twins) but we’re going the month they shut the private island down for repairs/refresh. so i keep telling my family we should expect those port fees back in the fare but who knows…

16 hours ago, asquared17 said:

us too (i know we are cruise twins) but we’re going the month they shut the private island down for repairs/refresh. so i keep telling my family we should expect those port fees back in the fare but who knows…

Did they add another stop to compensate for the island being closed or just another sea day? 

6 hours ago, ScottD said:

Did they add another stop to compensate for the island being closed or just another sea day? 

they made two changes on the itinerary compared to the original, tbh. i think we’re hitting st thomas but an additional sea day too. 😩 and they may have taken something else away but i can’t remember off the top of my head. their website is a bit of a bear to navigate 😅

• 6 months later...
13 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Bahamas just sprung a new VAT tax on the cruise lines to start March 1.

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/finance/cruise-lines-shell-shocked-bahamas-plan-collect-vat-private-islands-updated

Another reason to skip cruises that go to PDCC.

2 hours ago, bobroo said:

Humph! No sympathetic posts that the Overwater Cabanas are now going to cost about $400 more. :0)

Speaking of the price of over-the-water cabanas...Yesterday I noticed that the OTW cabanas at Labadee on our 6-6 and 8-15 Indy sailings were $799 !  Now that is still waaaytoo much and I would never pay it but it is certainly much less (less than half price) than it has been recently.  No joy for OTW cabanas at PDCC.