New menu selection fan

RCIfan1912

Since our cruise is less than 90 days out and I'm really getting the cruise fever I decided to check out the new menu system and I have to say I love the selection. Of course not having had the food that's just my preliminary reaction to the menu on paper. We are trying to figure out which 3 nights we don't want to dine in the MDR because we will have the 3 night specialty dining package. 

I have to preface this with we are not super picky eaters. 

1 hour ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Since our cruise is less than 90 days out and I'm really getting the cruise fever I decided to check out the new menu system and I have to say I love the selection. Of course not having had the food that's just my preliminary reaction to the menu on paper. We are trying to figure out which 3 nights we don't want to dine in the MDR because we will have the 3 night specialty dining package. 

I have to preface this with we are not super picky eaters. 

I agree. We ARE kind of picky, not big on seafood or spicy stuff and still able to find plenty on the menu. We HAVE tried the new menus and overall liked the food. It's not 5 star dining, but I'm not expecting that on a family cruise. We had at least 2-3 things to choose from each night and it worked out well 

3 hours ago, Mike n Ky said:

As someone who has cruised twice this year under the new menus, one a Quantum and the other an Oasis, my wife and I are not fans of the changes in the MDR. In fact, on our next cruise we might not even go to the MDR. The one lure might be the night with the lamb shank. 

Holy cow. I'm going in with a very open mind. 

I have sailed a couple times under the new menu. One night we skipped out to do the Solarium Bistro but that was for a change of pace.  The food in mdr is just fine (no not 5 start but more than "adequate") and if you look hard enough you will find most of the classics available each night or at least most... 

The changes include “themed dinner choices” for each night and much less to select from.  I will be experiencing this new menu for the first time beginning Friday and am quite nervous about it.  Sailing with all my kids and grandkids, most of them having never cruised before, I pray they all find something decent each night we are in the MDR.  
It’s funny but I have been looking over the menu for the nights we will dine in the MDR and there is one night I will be ordering from the children’s menu!  There is absolutely nothing I would enjoy on the Taste of the Caribbean menu so chicken fingers will be my choice.  It’s either that or deciding to order the Chops Grille Filet Mignon that night!  
I already miss the old tried and true traditional classics!

@Colombia20102018 I’m sorry I don’t mean to discourage you at all.  The older menu typically had at least a dozen choices for dinner each night so you could always find something yummy.  The new menu provides just 7 entree choices each night and at least 3 of them are directly related to the “theme” for that night.  Each night lists one Indian dish as well.  I am not a food aficionado or connoisseur, so to speak, and prefer traditional mild flavored meals.  
We’ll see how it goes all too soon!

I really don't fully understand the griping about the new menus. Seems like most of the items on the old menus are still there but grouped differently with the "themed" night scenario. Now preparation might have changed some and that's a different issue. But people saying they can't find anything to eat on the menu is.....

7 hours ago, nferr said:

I really don't fully understand the griping about the new menus. Seems like most of the items on the old menus are still there but grouped differently with the "themed" night scenario. Now preparation might have changed some and that's a different issue. But people saying they can't find anything to eat on the menu is.....

Some special entrees have been discontinued and quality of service has eroded for some. That's the complaint as reported. When we cruise again we'll try to make a fresh start as though we're new cruisers.

8 hours ago, nferr said:

I think for a more picky eater, the old "classics" menu provided great comfort because regardless of the main offerings they always knew there would be something they liked there and available.  Without doing research.

We're not picky eaters in my clan so while we liked the classics, we have no trouble and enjoy the new menus.  I do know some people though who in the past I could extoll the virtues of the food, that today I'm cautious because I know they are a little more picky.

*Note:  I don't mean picky to be a negative.  I am at a loss for a better word.

9 hours ago, nferr said:

I am not sure who you are referring to and I don't think people are actually griping...just stating their own opinions.  I do not agree that MOST of the old items are still there...at least not nightly as they were before.   I don't remember reading anyone's post here that states they can't find anything to eat!  And if someone did write that...that is their opinion anyway and they may have special dietary needs.

There are always options...yes...but someone with strict dietary limitations just have to work a little harder on finding something they can actually eat and enjoy.  If you were referring to me because I happened to mention I cannot see anything preferable on the Caribbean Night menu...I did also say I will choose from the children's menu (which I absolutely love chicken fingers) or I will order the Chops Grille filet (again would be very happy with that).  The older menu had more choices nightly and I believe that might be the hardest change to accept with this new menu offerings.  

Also, as others have mentioned, there are other places to eat on the ship which is another option and for me that is also fine.  I am NOT a picky eater by any means however certain spices and preparation methods are not always perfect for everyone, including me.

I have been on eleven cruises since the menu change. Primarily on the Anthem. 
I’m not very picky and easily pleased. I don’t like fish, so the lobster controversy doesn’t affect me…although I sympathize with those who dislike the ‘extra tail for an extra fee’ rule.

So far, I’ve been pretty happy with the menus. I like the choices…the food has been well prepared, plated and served. I think the main reason I have such a good experience is because I like early dining (as soon as the doors open, I go right to my table) and I’m usually solo. I love having the same time, same table and the same server and assistant. From soup/salad to dessert…I’m usually out in an hour.

I know that others have larger groups and may be coming in during busier times…so that can make it more challenging. Hopefully it goes well and there are no issues with the food or the service. Good luck!

24 minutes ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

I did also say I will choose from the children's menu (which I absolutely love chicken fingers) or I will order the Chops Grille filet (again would be very happy with that).  The older menu had more choices nightly and I believe that might be the hardest change to accept with this new menu offerings.  

Quick questions…

When you get the filet mignon from Chops, is it the same? Do they send someone to Chops Grille to get it or is it prepared in the MDR galley? Are there any sides included………thank you.

19 minutes ago, BrianB said:

Quick questions…

When you get the filet mignon from Chops, is it the same? Do they send someone to Chops Grille to get it or is it prepared in the MDR galley? Are there any sides included………thank you.

I do believe it is the same, ordered and delivered from the Chops kitchen.  I really enjoyed Chops when we ate there twice in February

I have done one sailing eating at the MDR since the menu change and I wasn't impressed.  The portions are really small, and its just lacking.  Enchiladas on Mexican night were plain, small and nothing I couldn't get at any Mexican restaurant in WIsconsin.  NY strip I had one night was the most pathetic paper thin chunk of steak I've ever seen.  The other meals were so unremarkable I can't even remember them.  For a cruise line that used to have great food and be lauded for their ability to serve so many guests the great food, they should completely remove that aspect from advertising now.

4 hours ago, BrianB said:

Quick questions…

It will be my first time ordering this in the MDR but I do believe it comes from Chops…not the MDR kitchen.  I believe the sides are the same that are served at Chops.  I have never done specialty dining either so it’s my first time for this much praised beef dish!  Actually looking forward to it!

Funny thing…my upcoming cruise (2 days away!) will be first time with new menu.  It’s also first cruise this year on Royal.  I was on Norwegian Prima in May and I have to say the food was absolutely phenomenal!  The main dining room had awesome menus with so many choices!  Everything was top notch from bread to soup to salad to entree to dessert!  That ship also had several other really great complimentary options as well as providing us with 2 specialty dining choices.

I am loyal to Royal 100% and am looking forward to this cruise on Oasis (my third time on Oasis class).  Since I am bringing my kids and grandkids with a few family members added…I am hoping the new cruisers among them will find this experience the ultimate vacation!

I was on Mariner in April and Anthem in June. Both menus were almost identical and I will say there were nights where we didn't even bother going because there just wasn't anything on the menu that looked good. Traveling with a vegetarian who does not like Indian food, it was a struggle for them and due to medical issues I have to be careful with spicy foods but the food at Cafe @ 270 was really good and when they were open we ate there. We wished they would stay open for dinner but guess you can't have everything. 🤷‍♀️

We will be going on our second cruise next month on Indy and it will be the first with the new menus. Like all of us I’ve read the good and bad about this change and we have no dietary restrictions so I think we can make the MDR work every night. I really enjoyed the MDR “experience” last cruise since the fanciest place we usually eat is a steakhouse. 
Of course if the food isn’t to my taste that night I cal always enjoy dessert and get some Sorrentos lol. 

6 hours ago, PrincipalTinker said:

I have been looking for information regarding the main dining room steak. I seem to remember that steak used to be over cooked (or was it undercooked)? I generally order medium rare but I don’t want it very rare in the middle. Any experience will be very helpful. Thanks

There are two temps offered now: medium rare and medium well. 

I had my first taste of usa menu last night. Quite disappointed in the honey fried chicken. I was expecting it to be like the night 1 fried chicken. But it was more of a bland beer battered coating.

The Buffalo chicken dip was good, even if not with cream cheese like a typical American version. 

The lobster Mac was better than expected.  They were even able to do it gluten free for my wife