MDR attire

Nutocru

I've read differing reports on what attire is acceptable in the MDR. Cruising on Odyssey (from Rome) in July with husband and 2 boys (12 and 14). Will the boys get away with shorts? And if so, even on formal night?  Will hubby get away with shorts? Are sliders ok or will they need closed toe shoes? Fashion trainers ok?

I'm easier dressed, definitely.

Will it be warm on board? Or does Aircon keep everything at an acceptable temp?

Edited by SpeedNoodles
changed title to actual subject

Dress code isn’t really enforced much these days. Unfortunately, I’ve seen both shorts and  sliders in the MDR even on formal night. However the staff on your specific dialing could choose to enforce the dress code more than other ships and rightfully refuse those wearing shorts from entering.

Celebrity enforced the dress code on my European sailing in July.  Hubby was pulled to the side and asked to change to pants.  While he was gone I asked what else is not accepted and was told footwear with a “between the toes”. I imagine they meant flip flops beach footwear. 
I’ve  not see Royal turn anyone away except one gal in a bikini top.

It's really all a matter of respect for the ship, the wait staff and other cruisers. How difficult is it for the men and boys to wear a pair of slacks, golf type shirt and closed toed (dockers, sneakers, deck shoes, etc). For the ladies, something comparable with nice sandals. NO FLIPP FLOPS please! Looking at someone's toes is not appetizing. Oh yes, and if the men/boys want to wear a sport jacket, that's great. Sorry, I'm old school. I remember when tuxedos and suits were required, or you were not allowed in the MDR. Things have changed, for the worse in my opinion. 😎

57 minutes ago, rjac said:

It's really all a matter of respect for the ship, the wait staff and other cruisers. How difficult is it for the men and boys to wear a pair of slacks, golf type shirt and closed toed (dockers, sneakers, deck shoes, etc). For the ladies, something comparable with nice sandals. NO FLIPP FLOPS please! Looking at someone's toes is not appetizing. Oh yes, and if the men/boys want to wear a sport jacket, that's great. Sorry, I'm old school. I remember when tuxedos and suits were required, or you were not allowed in the MDR. Things have changed, for the worse in my opinion. 😎

Oh do me a favor.

If you enjoyment is dependent on what others have on, then you are not doing it right.

2 hours ago, rjac said:

No flip flops can be a thing but plenty of women's sandals and heels have the toes visible. 

Thanks for the replies.

Part of the reason I specified which port we were sailing from is that I gather it's stricter on cruises from England than it is in the states? But I've not seen any mention of European departures (we're actually Irish).

My children live in sports wear (rarely wear jeans even) and so don't have a lot of formal type clothing. As much as I can buy them some clothes (and I have done), it seems very wasteful for the sake of a week when they'll have outgrown them by our next holiday.

13 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

No Flyers jersey one night?

Ha ha… I DID have an Eagles t-shirt on my first night in January. But that's because the NFC Championship game was on when we boarded. That was a ton of fun to watch with everyone at playmakers then it spilled into the aqua theater when they realized how many people were trying to watch. 

On 5/27/2023 at 5:02 AM, Nutocru said:

I've read differing reports on what attire is acceptable in the MDR. Cruising on Odyssey (from Rome) in July with husband and 2 boys (12 and 14). Will the boys get away with shorts? And if so, even on formal night?  Will hubby get away with shorts? Are sliders ok or will they need closed toe shoes? Fashion trainers ok?

I'm easier dressed, definitely.

Will it be warm on board? Or does Aircon keep everything at an acceptable temp?

You can get away with it, but you may feel out of place - especially on the dressier nights.  

Since you mentioned shorts and Rome, I will point out that there are many churches in Rome that will not allow shorts.  I noticed that it was hit and miss on enforcement last summer but I did see people turned at a few of the Basilicas.

2 hours ago, wordell1 said:

You can get away with it, but you may feel out of place - especially on the dressier nights.  

Since you mentioned shorts and Rome, I will point out that there are many churches in Rome that will not allow shorts.  I noticed that it was hit and miss on enforcement last summer but I did see people turned at a few of the Basilicas.

I knew this. I think it's more that knees need to be covered. Getting longer shorts over here has proven tricky so one son is going to take trousers to change into if that happens at the Vatican.

5 minutes ago, USCG Teacher said:

He specifically stated nothing offensive allowed.

Disclaimer: I'm a 4-for-4 Philly guy, my abuse of my team comes with love. 😉

At least we know that the Flyers will be bad when the season starts as opposed to some other teams... 🙄

If you haven't seen me post it elsewhere, I was born in raised in the Philly 'burbs so I'm right there with ya. I just root for Orlando's MLS team b/c they joined the league once I was already here and I wasn't even following MLS when I left PA in 2000.

3 minutes ago, HeWhoWaits said:

Did you forget the most consistently competitive pro team? Philadelphia Union of MLS.

They fit right in with the high hopes and disappointing oh so close endings of the others. Part of me is glad I don't support them... but supporting consistently inconsistent Orlando City is insanely frustrating all season long, not just at the end.

2 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

They fit right in with the high hopes and disappointing oh so close endings of the others. Part of me is glad I don't support them... but supporting consistently inconsistent Orlando City is insanely frustrating all season long, not just at the end.

I'm heading to a Union game this Wednesday! I watch them, not religiously, but my son plays Soccer pretty much full time (damn travel team) so we try to go to a game or two a year.  

19 hours ago, rjac said:

I think that is why we are looking forward to  when we cruise with Celebrity next year.  I just can't understand how a man can wear a ball cap while indoors especially when in the MDR.  I understand to wearing it while outside but it seems that so many men wear them to dinner and to the shows anymore.  It's so nice to see a lady wear a pretty sundress and a man just to have a collared shirt and either long or short pants. 

The one thing that I wish would stop all together in the MDR is the swinging around of dirty napkins, just gross.

10 hours ago, Nutocru said:

Thanks for the replies.

Part of the reason I specified which port we were sailing from is that I gather it's stricter on cruises from England than it is in the states? But I've not seen any mention of European departures (we're actually Irish).

My children live in sports wear (rarely wear jeans even) and so don't have a lot of formal type clothing. As much as I can buy them some clothes (and I have done), it seems very wasteful for the sake of a week when they'll have outgrown them by our next holiday.

Understood. Lots of families in the same situation. Have fun!

4 hours ago, Montemy2419 said:

I think that is why we are looking forward to  when we cruise with Celebrity next year.  I just can't understand how a man can wear a ball cap while indoors especially when in the MDR.  I understand to wearing it while outside but it seems that so many men wear them to dinner and to the shows anymore.  It's so nice to see a lady wear a pretty sundress and a man just to have a collared shirt and either long or short pants. 

The one thing that I wish would stop all together in the MDR is the swinging around of dirty napkins, just gross.

Many men are hair loss sensitive. Thus the ball cap.

On 5/27/2023 at 6:19 PM, rjac said:

Really?  On a cruise line catering to families and fun experiences, I doubt the wait staff will feel disrespected because I am wearing shorts on Caribbean night or my cowboy boots and jeans on formal night.  I dress for the MDR by who I am, not what someone wants me to be.

18 hours ago, Nutocru said:

Thanks for the replies.

Perhaps see if there is a Facebook group for a current sailing in Europe snd make an inquiry there regarding clothing that’s acceptable.

when I took my boys cruising I went to a second hand store for blue blazers and dress shirts.  They already had khaki pants.  I also found shoes there.  Yes, they grow quickly!  We wound up donating those clothes back within a few months.  If you belong to a Facebook group like “buy nothing” you can ask for clothes.