Cancellation Call: Religious Exemption Offered

6 hours ago, happyIAcruiser said:

Above it says to email [email protected]rccl.com. I was told over the phone to email [email protected]rccl.com. Do these go to the same place or should I re-send my medical exemption letter to the vax email address?

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/who-should-i-contact-if-a-vaccine-is-contraindicated

The vax email address is what's in the FAQ, so I would use that one.

On 6/6/2022 at 4:51 PM, Bowen said:

Nope, like Waaay said, you just have to tell them that your party won't be in compliance with the vaccine. When I called to cancel they actually stopped and asked me if I had tried to get a religious exemption, like they wanted me to know this was an option. I guess there are a lot of people cancelling, so if they can fill that 10% unvaccinated (which only includes those eligible, so not very young children) then that's extra income for them. We're still waiting for any word back, but they did ask for 15 working days, so I'll probably hear something toward the end of this week or next week. I am 100% not expecting to get it, but I'm 100% okay with that outcome. Either way, you'll get all of your money and your FCCs back, so it's a win. Hopefully the vaccine requirement will go away in the next round, or at least by the start of 2023. I'm really looking forward to cruising again! 🙂

So if I've had FCCs used, then I won't get cash back? Only a reissue of a new FCC?

On 6/15/2022 at 6:24 PM, HeatherN said:

So if I've had FCCs used, then I won't get cash back? Only a reissue of a new FCC?

I can't say for sure since I haven't been through it, but I think you get cash back and not a new FCC. I think they're trying very hard right now not to issue anymore FCCs.

On 6/15/2022 at 7:24 PM, HeatherN said:

I’ve gotten cash back on every refunded cruise (even those including FCCs) I’ve had to cancel, so far.  Earlier this week I actually cashed out 2 FCCs that they had issued me when I cancelled our August Jewel cruise (unlike all of the previous cancellations, I cancelled this one prior to final payment so the FCCs were only the down payment).  I fought with them and told them I didn’t want FCCs but they would not relent but promised that they would cash them out once they arrived.  I didn’t trust them, but to their credit, as soon as I got the email for the FCCs I called and they cashed them out without a fight.  First time I’ve ever cashed out an FCC directly. As others have said, I think they’re trying to reduce their liabilities (FCCs are a liability to their bottom line) so hopefully it will be a little easier to redeem FCCs than it has been in the past.

On 6/19/2022 at 10:46 AM, WAAAYTOOO said:

I’ve gotten cash back on every refunded cruise (even those including FCCs) I’ve had to cancel, so far.  Earlier this week I actually cashed out 2 FCCs that they had issued me when I cancelled our August Jewel cruise (unlike all of the previous cancellations, I cancelled this one prior to final payment so the FCCs were only the down payment).  I fought with them and told them I didn’t want FCCs but they would not relent but promised that they would cash them out once they arrived.  I didn’t trust them, but to their credit, as soon as I got the email for the FCCs I called and they cashed them out without a fight.  First time I’ve ever cashed out an FCC directly. As others have said, I think they’re trying to reduce their liabilities (FCCs are a liability to their bottom line) so hopefully it will be a little easier to redeem FCCs than it has been in the past.

When cashing out your FCCs, did they give you the 125% or just what you paid into it?

Want to add some positivity. I applied for religious exemption on 6/19 for a cruise on 7/8 and IT GOT APPROVED TODAY! I submitted through [email protected]rccl.com with everything requested. I called them directly today for an update since we are 7 days out and you can get right through (866) 592-7225 she told me with the holiday weekend I probably wouldn’t hear back until next week and couldn’t guarantee a day to receive a result. Got an email 4 hours later with approval!

C0C82DCC-DBE0-42F9-B093-7EAA6513007D.jpeg

17 hours ago, OliviaP22 said:

Want to add some positivity. I applied for religious exemption on 6/19 for a cruise on 7/8 and IT GOT APPROVED TODAY! I submitted through [email protected]rccl.com with everything requested. I called them directly today for an update since we are 7 days out and you can get right through (866) 592-7225 she told me with the holiday weekend I probably wouldn’t hear back until next week and couldn’t guarantee a day to receive a result. Got an email 4 hours later with approval!

So happy this worked out for you! But, wow, they were cutting it close!

18 hours ago, OliviaP22 said:

Excellent !  So glad to hear that SOME exemptions are being approved.  Very good news, indeed

I put my request March 8 for our July 23 cruise. Still waiting. Glad you are approved. How much do you have to pay to be tested on board? 

12 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Excellent !  So glad to hear that SOME exemptions are being approved.  Very good news, indeed

10 hours ago, twangster said:

Hopefully this will be a trend that moves the needle back in the direction of normal while the CDC drags its feet on the issue.

On 6/28/2022 at 5:49 PM, AspiringCruisePlanner said:

I'll add a data point here.

Requested a vaccine exemption for religious reasons for my sister aboard Allure on July 31.  Request was denied today.

When did you request it? I requested on March 8 for July 23 Allure and haven’t heard anything.. 

On 7/1/2022 at 2:03 PM, OliviaP22 said:

What did you say on your religious exemption?

On 7/1/2022 at 2:03 PM, OliviaP22 said:

Can you please share what you said in your text?  

On 6/28/2022 at 4:49 PM, AspiringCruisePlanner said:

I'll add a data point here.

Requested a vaccine exemption for religious reasons for my sister aboard Allure on July 31.  Request was denied today.

I haven't been checking this thread since I'm still waiting on mine (I'll update down below), but I wanted to say that this stinks and I'm sorry. 😞

Update on mine, still no update, lol. I submitted May 9th for an August 14 cruise and a September 18 cruise. I went back and resubmitted the Sept 18 cruise on a different email because I wasn't sure if they would accept both on one email. I waited about...5 weeks or so since the automated response said it would take about 15 days for me to hear back, and then I called the direct line to talk to someone rather than having to get transferred around from the general line. They told me there was no update and that it could be as soon as two weeks before my cruise before I heard anything. My son was supposed to go to church camp the week before the cruise, so I had to call the camp and change that because I knew there would be no way to get a test three days prior if he was a few hours away in the woods. 🙂  The camp changed it around without a problem, so that was great. 

I'll give you the text I used to explain my exemption, but since I haven't been approved I have no idea if it'll be helpful or not. I'll update here when I hear back from them. I'll be calling August 1st if I haven't gotten anything back by then. 

"Taking a covid-19 vaccine violates my conscience and religious beliefs for the following two reasons. First, each of the manufactures of the COVID-19 vaccines currently available in my country were developed, confirmed and/or tested their vaccines using fetal cell lines originating from electively terminated fetuses. I learned of this when I was first offered a COVID-19 vaccine. My religious beliefs require that I respect all human life, including fetal life, and not knowingly benefit from harm to fetal life regardless of when that life was taken. I am aware that other vaccines and medications may use similar fetal cells in their development and to the extent that I am aware of such use, I avoid those medications. Second, knowingly introducing substances that may have unknown consequences into my body violates my fundamental belief that my body is a gift from God. My beliefs instruct me to examine for myself the things that I put in my body and judge them wisely because I will be judged by God for my choices. I cannot violate my religious beliefs even if it might be of medical or financial benefit to me. As such, I cannot, in good conscience and informed by my religious beliefs, take any COVID-19 vaccine at this time."

Hopefully that helps. It can feel very weird to request something like this, definitely not something I ever thought I'd have to do, but it is what it is, so just explain it as best you can.

5 hours ago, Bowen said:

Update on mine, still no update, lol. I submitted May 9th for an August 14 cruise and a September 18 cruise. I went back and resubmitted the Sept 18 cruise on a different email because I wasn't sure if they would accept both on one email. I waited about...5 weeks or so since the automated response said it would take about 15 days for me to hear back, and then I called the direct line to talk to someone rather than having to get transferred around from the general line. They told me there was no update and that it could be as soon as two weeks before my cruise before I heard anything. My son was supposed to go to church camp the week before the cruise, so I had to call the camp and change that because I knew there would be no way to get a test three days prior if he was a few hours away in the woods. 🙂  The camp changed it around without a problem, so that was great. 

I'll give you the text I used to explain my exemption, but since I haven't been approved I have no idea if it'll be helpful or not. I'll update here when I hear back from them. I'll be calling August 1st if I haven't gotten anything back by then. 

"Taking a covid-19 vaccine violates my conscience and religious beliefs for the following two reasons. First, each of the manufactures of the COVID-19 vaccines currently available in my country were developed, confirmed and/or tested their vaccines using fetal cell lines originating from electively terminated fetuses. I learned of this when I was first offered a COVID-19 vaccine. My religious beliefs require that I respect all human life, including fetal life, and not knowingly benefit from harm to fetal life regardless of when that life was taken. I am aware that other vaccines and medications may use similar fetal cells in their development and to the extent that I am aware of such use, I avoid those medications. Second, knowingly introducing substances that may have unknown consequences into my body violates my fundamental belief that my body is a gift from God. My beliefs instruct me to examine for myself the things that I put in my body and judge them wisely because I will be judged by God for my choices. I cannot violate my religious beliefs even if it might be of medical or financial benefit to me. As such, I cannot, in good conscience and informed by my religious beliefs, take any COVID-19 vaccine at this time."

Hopefully that helps. It can feel very weird to request something like this, definitely not something I ever thought I'd have to do, but it is what it is, so just explain it as best you can.

It's hard to tell whether these denials are due to the reasoning for the exemption or the pure fact of operational capacity with unvaccinated bodies.  I think the latter, but in any case I think the message as you have it there would qualify for meeting their criteria.  Well put.

40 minutes ago, AspiringCruisePlanner said:

It's hard to tell whether these denials are due to the reasoning for the exemption or the pure fact of operational capacity with unvaccinated bodies.  I think the latter, but in any case I think the message as you have it there would qualify for meeting their criteria.  Well put.

I definitely think it's the latter and would have zero animosity for RC filling their spots with vaccinated over unvaccinated, it's easier for them and they are running a business. I'm glad they're giving unvaccinated an opportunity to cruise, even if we have to do some extra stuff. I feel really bad for the cruise industry, it upsets me that they're being subjected to (what I view as) the abuse of the CDC. I think it's incredibly unfair and it stinks of unelected officials trying to stay relevant. Whatever happens with these two cruises, I wish RC all the best and will go back to them whenever they drop the mandates, but I'll definitely be throwing my cruise dollars at whichever line drops them first. 🙂

49 minutes ago, Bowen said:

I definitely think it's the latter and would have zero animosity for RC filling their spots with vaccinated over unvaccinated, it's easier for them and they are running a business. I'm glad they're giving unvaccinated an opportunity to cruise, even if we have to do some extra stuff. I feel really bad for the cruise industry, it upsets me that they're being subjected to (what I view as) the abuse of the CDC. I think it's incredibly unfair and it stinks of unelected officials trying to stay relevant. Whatever happens with these two cruises, I wish RC all the best and will go back to them whenever they drop the mandates, but I'll definitely be throwing my cruise dollars at whichever line drops them first. 🙂

Thanks for posting your exemption request. Very well written and thoughtfully said.  And I have the same feelings about RC and wishing them luck. But, like you, I'll be jumping ship to the first cruise line that drops the mandate. 

26 minutes ago, fireclan said:

Thanks for posting your exemption request. Very well written and thoughtfully said.  And I have the same feelings about RC and wishing them luck. But, like you, I'll be jumping ship to the first cruise line that drops the mandate. 

They will all drop the mandates at the same time