Jump to content

Sea Pass description


Recommended Posts

This may seem almost too simple for most but for a new cruiser it's helpful for planning:  What is a Sea Pass' description?  Is it credit card - ish?  Does it have a pre-punched hole for attaching to lanyard?  I know it has to be like my arm... never leaving my body... but, well, perhaps someone can describe it (or better yet show a photo -doctored, of course).  Oh, I'm on Radiance of the Seas.

Thanks, folks!Blink Reaction GIF

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We've always used pouches to put the card in and attach that to a retracting spring string to the lanyard.  I've heard a couple of thing about holes in the card.  1.  You can't put a hole in it because of the electronics (RFID) and 2.  If you go to the Customer Service desk, they will punch a hole in it.  

I report, you decide.  

We're using these on our next cruise in 32 days.  Can't vouch for them.  Amazon has many different kinds available.  I liked these because the backing is hard plastic and it comes with the retractable string:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09F2HZT52?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, wordell1 said:

I keep mine in my front pocket and have never had an issue.  My swimsuit has a pocket and I take it into the pool without issue.  My wife keeps hers in whatever bag she is carrying.  

Nothing wrong with lanyards, but they are definitely not necessary.

If you lose things out of your pockets like I do, you'd need a lanyard.  😀  Many of my shorts have zippers on the pockets.  When I pull stuff out of my pockets, everything else seems to follow especially bills.  

But, I hear ya.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've switched back and forth between a clear vinyl cardholder hung from a lanyard, and the card itself with a hole punched in the corner still hung from a lanyard.

Knowing the cards now have some digital circuitry internally, I asked at guest services on Odyssey last month if there was anywhere on the card where I could safely punch a hole.  The gal showed me where it was safe to punch, we did so, but then the card no longer would open my cabin door.  Went back immediately to guest services, and a different employee said they could no longer be punched anywhere.🥴

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, WAYNO said:

I've switched back and forth between a clear vinyl cardholder hung from a lanyard, and the card itself with a hole punched in the corner still hung from a lanyard.

Knowing the cards now have some digital circuitry internally, I asked at guest services if there was anywhere on the card where I could safely punch a hole.  The gal showed me where it was safe to punch, we did so, but then the card no longer would open my cabin door.  Went back immediately to guest services, and a different employee said they could no longer be punched anywhere.🥴

On my last two cruises we just asked guest services to do the punching. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just a quick request since I'm a new cruiser.   What is the Sea Pass like.  My question centers around how I might carry it.  I have several different types of lanyard (I think I'd prefer to carry it like that).  Does it have a hole that I can clip into or do I have to use a lanyard with a pocket (of sorts)?  Can I punch a hole in it if it hasn't one?Oh My Gosh Hello GIF by kate spade new york

Thank you all for your continued response to this newbie.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BrianB said:

When they pull up your cabin number on the computer…your photo comes up also. So, unless your an Evil Twin, it should be okay.😂

Well, I'd hope so.  But, do they all do what they're supposed to do?  How many people have that white sunscreen stuff plastered all over their face with sunglasses on and a hoody.  I'd just as soon they ask for the card.  But, that's me, your mileage may vary.  I'm a little more secure and policy minded.  Not much gray in my life.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, jay1021 said:

We've always used pouches to put the card in and attach that to a retracting spring string to the lanyard.  I've heard a couple of thing about holes in the card.  1.  You can't put a hole in it because of the electronics (RFID) and 2.  If you go to the Customer Service desk, they will punch a hole in it.  

I report, you decide.  

We're using these on our next cruise in 32 days.  Can't vouch for them.  Amazon has many different kinds available.  I liked these because the backing is hard plastic and it comes with the retractable string:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09F2HZT52?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

 

11 hours ago, WAYNO said:

I've switched back and forth between a clear vinyl cardholder hung from a lanyard, and the card itself with a hole punched in the corner still hung from a lanyard.

Knowing the cards now have some digital circuitry internally, I asked at guest services if there was anywhere on the card where I could safely punch a hole.  The gal showed me where it was safe to punch, we did so, but then the card no longer would open my cabin door.  Went back immediately to guest services, and a different employee said they could no longer be punched anywhere.🥴

Ability to successfully pinch a hole for a lanyard is dependent on the ship you are on. Newer ships have RFID cards that can’t be easily punched, older (Freedom class and before)can be punched with no concern. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, jay1021 said:

Well, I'd hope so.  But, do they all do what they're supposed to do?  How many people have that white sunscreen stuff plastered all over their face with sunglasses on and a hoody.  I'd just as soon they ask for the card.  But, that's me, your mileage may vary.  I'm a little more secure and policy minded.  Not much gray in my life.  

A hoodie?!?!?  You think a lot of thieves pay for a cruise to get drinks on your sea pass???

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Pooch said:

A hoodie?!?!?  You think a lot of thieves pay for a cruise to get drinks on your sea pass???

What?  Do you actually think that only "thieves" wear hoodies.  I'm a 70 year old white male and I wear a hoodie, often.  And, No, I think the possible crime happens when the crew allow you to only use your cabin #, not the SeaPass card.  I can lose my SeaPass card and get it replaced and have the lost card deactivated.  I can't lose my cabin number and/or deactivate it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Linda R said:

No problem really as they are matching it with your photo when they enter the cabin number.

This is a cut and paste from one of my posts above:

Well, I'd hope so.  But, do they all do what they're supposed to do?  How many people have that white sunscreen stuff plastered all over their face with sunglasses on and a hoody.  I'd just as soon they ask for the card.  But, that's me, your mileage may vary.  I'm a little more secure and policy minded.  Not much gray in my life.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jay1021 said:

This is a cut and paste from one of my posts above:

Well, I'd hope so.  But, do they all do what they're supposed to do?  How many people have that white sunscreen stuff plastered all over their face with sunglasses on and a hoody.  I'd just as soon they ask for the card.  But, that's me, your mileage may vary.  I'm a little more secure and policy minded.  Not much gray in my life.  

Everyone can check their account balance daily, or on the app, to see what charges they have on their card.  If someone used your card and was actually able to make a purchase there are cameras that will find that person.  The facial recognition program will likely identify that person and security would deal with it.  There are occasions where the card might not be available (like  CoCoCay or orders from the pool) and the waitstaff will ask for your cabin number. and then your cabin number can be pulled up in the computer and the picture and name will appear.  It's rare that a bartender/wait staff won't get your card.  If you showed up at the bar with your face whited out with sunscreen, sunglasses and a hoodie to order a drink the bartender will likely ask for you to remove the glasses and hoodie, just like security does every time you get on/off the ship.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Pattycruise said:

Everyone can check their account balance daily, or on the app, to see what charges they have on their card.  If someone used your card and was actually able to make a purchase there are cameras that will find that person.  The facial recognition program will likely identify that person and security would deal with it.  There are occasions where the card might not be available (like  CoCoCay or orders from the pool) and the waitstaff will ask for your cabin number. and then your cabin number can be pulled up in the computer and the picture and name will appear.  It's rare that a bartender/wait staff won't get your card.  If you showed up at the bar with your face whited out with sunscreen, sunglasses and a hoodie to order a drink the bartender will likely ask for you to remove the glasses and hoodie, just like security does every time you get on/off the ship.

Look, you are entitled to your thought and opinions.  I just happen to believe that using just a room number to purchase products isn't "best practice".  I, as a retired Law Enforcement Official and criminal investigator know how to catch criminals.  But, the best "best practice" is to prevent the crime to begin with.  Using a SeaPass card, not a room number, right now, as far as I know, is "best practice".  Facial recognition in this type of situation is an "after the fact" remedy, not a prevention.  Also, I'd just as soon not be inconvenienced, while I'm on vacation, by dealing with a theft/fraud of service/property/product.  When I go to my room in the evening and check on the TV what is in my account, I don't expect to have to deal with this kind of thing.  I've had incorrect charges on my account before, it took a call to "Customer Service" and that was it.  If I suspect a theft or fraudulent activity, it involves time and effort, my vacation time and effort.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Pima1988 said:

You all know you can purchase the WOW band? 

It is just like the sea pass...use it for drinks, open your door.  

 

Many folks in here would disagree, it's no longer available.  I don't know though, I have no idea.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...