Sea Pass description

We got on our ship at 11:30 before the rooms were ready and went straight to the pool deck.  It was nice to make a purchase and get towels without having access to our sea pass card and just giving our cabin number.  To me personally, if someone gave the wrong cabin number (either by mistake or fraudulently) and made an unauthorized purchase, that would not be a something I would be upset about.  I would just go to guest services and get it fixed.  

Different strokes for different folks.

On Allure we were only ever asked for our room number, and they never took the cards. I felt like it was because we were staying in a suite and mostly using the lounge and suite deck bar. They always came back with a name.

I don't see why it matters what method the crew uses or if a guest prefers to give room number. There is enough checks and balances to ensure that charges should be correct. 

13 hours ago, jay1021 said:

Oh, I think there is a big difference.  Like I said in a previous post, if I lose my SeaPass card, I can report it and that card would be deactivated and I'd get a new one, insuring that the lost card can't be used fraudulently.  I can't lose my cabin number so therefore I can't have it deactivated to prevent it's fraudulent use.  It can go on for the remainder of the cruise or other cabin numbers can be used victimizing others.  If someone gets away with it once, chances he/she will do it again and again until caught or the get off the ship and get away with it totally.

I really don't understand the push-back on this.  What I'm advocating for IS THE BEST PRACTICE.  I'm not advocating the beating of puppy dogs.  I'm advocating for someone to pull out their SeaPass card and using it even if the crew member/bartender just asks for your room number.  I'm also advocating for the cruise line to do away with just using a room number.  I have a sneaky suspicion (it just a sneaky suspicion, I don't know more about this than anyone else) that the policy does require a SeaPass card.  It's just easy to just use a room number.

During the restart most ships didn't want to handle Sea Pass cards since that was a possible transmission vector for the virus.  Cabin number worked.  Same with boarding day before guests have their Sea Pass cards (before cabins are ready).  Cabin number works.  

Once mask requirements lifted I started seeing more handling of Sea pass cards.

People lose their cards all the time.  You might not know it the instant it becomes lost if it fell out of a pocket or if they hand back the wrong Sea Pass card at a bar and after several adult beverages you neglect to notice it immediately.

However you slice it, fraudulent charges have never been an issue for me on Royal across many, many cruises.  A bogus pool towel charge has occurred twice along with a bogus minibar charge back in the day.  Fraudulent charges from other guests have never struck me.  

Okay, I think, once again, a subject/issue has been beat to death.  I'll just close by saying that I offered my opinion or some may call it advice, as stated in my second or third post in this thread.  It is my informed opinion and I stand by it.  You may disagree, you may not.  It doesn't matter to me.  I just chose to be as secure as I can make it and I like to pass on my insight.  Is crime on a cruise ship a big problem?  I don't think it is a BIG problem but I bet it exists.  A cruise ship, at least temporarily, is a closed/captured society which does help limit crime.  Last comment:  Crime prevention is a minor inconvenience, by design.  You can chose to try to avoid becoming a victim by following some basic and easy crime prevention techniques or you can roll the dice.  It's your choice.

Enjoy your cruise!

11 hours ago, Pooch said:

Have you personally ever had a fraudulent charge on your account?  Know anyone who has?  Not an error but actual fraud?

The only fraudulent charge to  my card was an employee who added a tip for himself.  I tipped cash.  Thankful i did one last check on my account-not that it was much money but the principle.  This was a sailing in Europe, the guy asked if I was getting off the next location (they embark/disembark in Barcelona and Rome?) and I answered yes....I guess he thought I would not find the additional tip.  Yes, I went to Guest Services and had it reversed.  Sadly mistakes, such as having an extra pool towel signed out when it was only 1 asked for  or a Diamond drink entered as a regular purchase happen.  Diligence on checking the account activity is necessary.  They actually will check the cameras to see if you are correct-well at least for those expensive pool towels!!