Luggage arrival

10 minutes ago, Cruiser79 said:

I haven't sailed on royal before, I read somewhere that you can access your stateroom by 2pm, but what time does your luggage usually arrive?

It varies by sailing.  I've gotten my bags as early as 2PM when the rooms have become available.  Usually they arrive just before dinner. On the Wonder I did not get my luggage until around 8PM, but that's because Royal sent luggage tags that were marked incorrectly.

In 3/4 of my sailings so far, it's never been later than 5 or 6. The one time it was later, we were running late and got on close to sailaway (so obviously our stuff was last on the ship) and I think it came around 7.

I've heard tale it can show up as late as 9 but between my own experiences, eyeing the hallways and several cruise vloggers I've never seen luggage delivery that late.

1 hour ago, Pooch said:

Our room on Harmony last week was ready at 1pm and our luggage was down the hall.  We just grabbed it.

Good point!  Don't assume (we all know what that means) that your luggage will be next to your door just because other luggage is next to the other rooms.  If yours isn't there,  look up and down the hall,  it could easily be put in front of the wrong room.  That has happened to us a few times.

The last three cruises the luggage was outside the room by 2:00pm and the rooms were open by 1 ~ 1:30. The one time this year it was not, it was down the hall about 10 doors away in a big group of luggage and we spotted it on our cabin deck hall walkabout about 3pm.

15 minutes ago, carlosalonsor said:

So, where are you supposed to collect your bags? Next to your room or anywhere in the same hall as your room?

I ask because on my last two cruises I had to look for them well after 2pm and they weren't even near my cabin. 

Luggage delivery can take up to 9 pm so thinking you'll have them when rooms are ready by 2, 3, or 4 isn't a great expectation. could happen, but be aware that it could go later. And "picking up" luggage isn't a set practice but rather something passengers tend to do if they spot theirs in the general vicinity of their room.

For example, once I saw all the bags for my room a couple doors down by the crew passageway area nearest to my room. I assumed the bags were left there while said crew went to get more bags and rather than waiting...just took them myself.

What generally happens is ship crew bring luggage up to your deck and the nearest crew elevators.  

Cabin attendants take it from there to a spot closer to your cabin.  The issue is that cabin attendants works starting at 6am that day beginning to clean the cabins as previous guests depart.  They get time off midday before their afternoon shift starts and they work into the evening.  During that time before they come on shift no one has been been moving luggage down the hall closer to your cabin.  It's there but placed anywhere so there is room for more bags coming up and off the elevator.

As cabin crew come back from their midday break they start moving the luggage horizontally closer to cabins where it belongs.  So it's common to see your bags down the hall somewhere if you spot them before the cabin attendants come back from their break.    

14 hours ago, carlosalonsor said:

So, where are you supposed to collect your bags? Next to your room or anywhere in the same hall as your room?

I will usually throw my work phone in my checked luggage.  that way I can track it (which is pretty limited) but I can use the find my phone app to make in beep so I can walk down the hallway and find it easier.

On 3/23/2022 at 7:58 AM, SaveTheSharks said:

How does one know when your room would be ready by?

Between 1 - 2 is the goal but once you get on staff or the captain or cruise director will tell you what the current ETA is.

On 3/22/2022 at 4:18 PM, twangster said:

What generally happens is ship crew bring luggage up to your deck and the nearest crew elevators.  

Cabin attendants take it from there to a spot closer to your cabin.  The issue is that cabin attendants works starting at 6am that day beginning to clean the cabins as previous guests depart.  They get time off midday before their afternoon shift starts and they work into the evening.  During that time before they come on shift no one has been been moving luggage down the hall closer to your cabin.  It's there but placed anywhere so there is room for more bags coming up and off the elevator.

As cabin crew come back from their midday break they start moving the luggage horizontally closer to cabins where it belongs.  So it's common to see you bags down the hall somewhere if you spot it before the cabin attendants come back from their break.    

Thanks so much for explaining this! That makes so much more sense!