Passenger Count

BrianB

I wonder what the crew capacity number is on each sailing. Not only the number of crew members on board, but how many are currently available for service and not quarantined or isolated. Probably something not easily obtainable.
Plus, I’m sure it fluctuates as crew members come in and out of quarantine. I know they want to be as careful as possible and it makes sense for them to quarantine whole groups of close contacts among the crew rather than risking an outbreak. I really feel sorry for those crew members doing double duty, or more, filling in for those who are sidelined…making sure we have the best possible cruise experience. Hey…just another reason to tip generously.

11 minutes ago, BrianB said:

I wonder what the crew capacity number is on each sailing. Not only the number of crew members on board, but how many are currently available for service and not quarantined or isolated. Probably something not easily obtainable.
Plus, I’m sure it fluctuates as crew members come in and out of quarantine. I know they want to be as careful as possible and it makes sense for them to quarantine whole groups of close contacts among the crew rather than risking an outbreak. I really feel sorry for those crew members doing double duty, or more, filling in for those who are sidelined…making sure we have the best possible cruise experience. Hey…just another reason to tip generously.

Totally agree, "tip generously", they deserve it.  

I also wonder about the crew numbers.  For all the reasons mentioned!  But, I also question the safety aspect of crew numbers.  Is there enough available crew members to cover ALL of the emergency procedures?  I'm sure that there are rules/laws that stipulate a ratio or whatever is needed to be considered a safe ship based upon the number of passengers vs crew.  I guess we will never know unless something really serious happens and I truly do hope it doesn't come to that.

20 minutes ago, Suite Snob said:

I also wonder about the crew numbers.  For all the reasons mentioned!  But, I also question the safety aspect of crew numbers.  Is there enough available crew members to cover ALL of the emergency procedures?  I'm sure that there are rules/laws that stipulate a ratio or whatever is needed to be considered a safe ship based upon the number of passengers vs crew.  I guess we will never know unless something really serious happens and I truly do hope it doesn't come to that.

I would think that is where the Coast Guard comes in when they inspect the ships.  They would verify not only safety equipment but also the crew and to make sure the right number of crew members are trained on the equipment. That is one reason why I am not upset when a cruise is delayed for a surprise inspection by the Coast Guard or other agency.  

8 minutes ago, FireFishII said:

I would think that is where the Coast Guard comes in when they inspect the ships.  They would verify not only safety equipment but also the crew and to make sure the right number of crew members are trained on the equipment. That is one reason why I am not upset when a cruise is delayed for a surprise inspection by the Coast Guard or other agency.  

I'm know that happens, "AT THE EMBARKATION PORT, SNAP SHOT IN TIME".  I'm only playing the Devil's Advocate here.  I don't think/I hope that Royal wouldn't do this but how hard is it to product paperwork/statistics that XXXX crew member are available for emergency operations but in reality only XXX are capable.  Having been an employee of the U.S. Government both as a manager of highly sensitive operations and an investigator/inspector, I know how to play the game/how the game is played.  Just a couple of examples and these are some very basic example:  J. Edgar Hoover once declared that a town in Texas, I believe it was, had a 100% increase in crime and that information contributed to a substantial boost in the FBI's budget, Hoover was a master of statistical manipulation.  It turned out that the town had one act of crime one year and two the other, it may have been murders, I can't remember right now.  Also, the military is very diverse sensitive, so statistics are always gathered.  Part of the game, a black, Hispanic female, was/is counted in each of the categories mentioned, as if she was 3 separate people.  So, if you had a section of 10 people and only one had all those descriptors, you were considered as having 30% diversity, even though there is only one minority, out of 10. 

So, if one crew member doesn't show any symptoms, today, of illness and is ordered to move to his/her emergency station for the USCG inspection, is that crew member really capable of his/her function later and is he/she going to say anything other than he/she is capable of their function.  Yes, that can be true in a lot of situations.  But, COVID is the illness du jour and is dictating many many many activities and statistics both real and fudged.  

Your opinion may vary.  And this is not my opinion of what IS happening.  I'm only stating what can happen.  Nothing more, nothing less.  

@Suite SnobI totally agree about the statistical manipulation. And I agree what while one member does not show any symptoms of anything, may not be able to perform their function the next day.  But that is true with any type of illness or accidents.  I also think in a true emergency, all able seamen/women would be showing up to their station - even if they are hacking up a lung or in a splint.  But if a ship is starting off short staff, then during an inspection, there will not be enough crew members to man a station. That is what I was referring to. 

3 hours ago, FireFishII said:

@Suite SnobI totally agree about the statistical manipulation. And I agree what while one member does not show any symptoms of anything, may not be able to perform their function the next day.  But that is true with any type of illness or accidents.  I also think in a true emergency, all able seamen/women would be showing up to their station - even if they are hacking up a lung or in a splint.  But if a ship is starting off short staff, then during an inspection, there will not be enough crew members to man a station. That is what I was referring to. 

I sure hope you are right, I really do.  And I did say that that could happen with any type of illness.  It's just that there is a whole lot more emphasis on COVID these days.  It's a political football <that's not a challenge to debate politics, folks>.

Again:  Your opinion may vary.  And this is not my opinion of what IS happening.  I'm only stating what can happen.  Nothing more, nothing less.  

Remember, the Titanic was unsinkable.  Until it was!

21 hours ago, Suite Snob said:

That’s a very good point. I didn’t think of that.

But I would think in a true emergency situation that would require the response of all crew members…that they would weigh the risk of spreading an infection versus saving lives or the continued safe operation of the vessel. I’m pretty confident that ‘all hands on deck’ would include those members who are quarantined as close contacts…and then, even those who are positive and isolated. Double, or even triple masked and gloved. As long as they are physically able…which seems to be the case in virtually all positive cases.

2 hours ago, BrianB said:

That’s a very good point. I didn’t think of that.

But I would think in a true emergency situation that would require the response of all crew members…that they would weigh the risk of spreading an infection versus saving lives or the continued safe operation of the vessel. I’m pretty confident that ‘all hands on deck’ would include those members who are quarantined as close contacts…and then, even those who are positive and isolated. Double, or even triple masked and gloved. As long as they are physically able…which seems to be the case in virtually all positive cases.

True, I'm sure they would ensure that "All Hands On Deck" will happen.  It would be crazy otherwise.  HOWEVER, all hand vs capable hands are two different things.  If I'm too sick to do my required task(s), I'm useless and probably more of an immediate safety hazard.  COVID being a little different than the common cold or flu, there is a political aspect to it. The minute COVID is mentioned and verified a crew member has to be quarantined for XX days.  A cold or flu, to bad brother/sister, your going to work.  But, I bet the COVID effected person and his/her emergency position is reported as being available.  Anyway, this is all conjecture on my part and I have now way of knowing for sure.  Just my skeptical side but not an accusation that anybody is doing anything wrong or illegal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

everything looks pre pandemic to me. Our alaska cruise in 3 weeks is sold out except for one room, the 12k royal suite. I searched cruises from San Diego which is most convenient for us and the 2023 panama canal is sold out except for inside rooms. Our May 2023 transatlantic that we booked in jan of 2022 for a GS on is sold out for suites. Not sure if it is revenge travel or a glut of FCC but it is a struggle getting rooms. Were trying to book our 2024 cruises and it's a struggle and pricey. Same GS we booked an 11 day transatlantic costs more for a 7 day coco cay, bahamas out of new  jersey on the same ship , same port, less days for 2024.  The only consolation prize is my RCl stock should bridge the gap as it seems to me cruising is back with a vengance, now if I can only get my CCl stock to cooperate in a similar manner.

I think it is a combination of reasons.  Probably a lot due to having to use their FCC and mostly like us - we are SO READY to travel again!!!  I know that our cruise this Sunday (Harmony) will be a full (100%) cruise with lots of kids.  We know this going in and our Grands are old enough not to use any of the kids programs.