Pre-boarding online checkin

I am wondering, if possibly you will put your vaccine card number on, like you do your passport at online checkin prior to printing your boarding pass, there by removing the need to ask people to show it at boarding time, allowing compliance with Florida law? Thoughts

I had expected that would be the approach that RCG would take.

However, Royal and Celebrity is requiring the original card be present to board.  Hopefully that will change after the first few sailings but there's no indication it will.

As far as this being a way around the Florida law, I'll have to defer to someone with more knowledge of Florida law to answer.

30 minutes ago, luvstodans said:

I am wondering, if possibly you will put your vaccine card number on

What number are you referring to?  Our cards are not numbered but do have the lot number of our vaccine that we got.   We’ve been wondering if the CDC shouldn’t of put serial numbers on all the cards.  Lots of fake cards available on the internet and with out someone having access to the CDC database...Going to be hard to verify what card is real or not.  

I thought I read somewhere here that you had to upload a copy of your vax certificate when you were doing your online check in, kind of like your photo. but that was a while ago and may have changed. ?

19 minutes ago, rjac said:

I thought I read somewhere here that you had to upload a copy of your vax certificate when you were doing your online check in, kind of like your photo. but that was a while ago and may have changed. ?

It wasn't the case for my Celebrity cruise.

All of the information I can find out Royal is that they will require the original card. No copies. No pictures.

55 minutes ago, RyanS said:

There is no master database for the vaccine #'s

I do know that Florida has a database of everyone who has been vaccinated...Barb had to entered everyone her hospital vaccinated into the Florida database.  I’d be willing to bet Florida provided that information to the CDC. 

22 minutes ago, Psycho and Barb said:

I do know that Florida has a database of everyone who has been vaccinated...Barb had to entered everyone her hospital vaccinated into the Florida database.  I’d be willing to bet Florida provided that information to the CDC. 

That is good info... I am in Texas and I am not sure what they did here. I wonder if Royal has access ?

14 minutes ago, RyanS said:

That is good info... I am in Texas and I am not sure what they did here. I wonder if Royal has access ?

I was thinking about this today. I’m sure there is a “master database” someplace that “could” be linked to when they check the manifest before the cruise and know if people are vaccinated or not automatically. And therefore not “ask” anyone to show proof.

25 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

And the states couldn't just give out the info. THAT would be a HIPAA violation

I don't know if states are covered by HIPAA, but it looks like businesses that are not healthcare providers are not.  (I need enlightenment on this myself)

https://www.hipaajournal.com/is-it-a-hipaa-violation-to-ask-for-proof-of-vaccine-status/

8 minutes ago, PG Cruiser said:

I don't know if states are covered by HIPAA, but it looks like businesses that are not healthcare providers are not.  (I need enlightenment on this myself)

https://www.hipaajournal.com/is-it-a-hipaa-violation-to-ask-for-proof-of-vaccine-status/

https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-professionals/faq/358/are-state-county-or-local-health-departments-required-to-comply-with-hipaa/index.html

In this case since the state health agencies are dealing with private medical info about people, and in some cases ran the vaccination programs, they're bound by HIPAA

7 hours ago, luvstodans said:

I am wondering, if possibly you will put your vaccine card number on, like you do your passport at online checkin prior to printing your boarding pass, there by removing the need to ask people to show it at boarding time, allowing compliance with Florida law? Thoughts

Florida doesn't run the ports. They are federal. Florida law doesn't apply. Governor even said Cruises don't need his permission to sail from there.

WITSH will we do if we lose our cards? Seriously! I've copied mine, made a pdf of them, etc., but if they want an original and lose them, where do we get the replacements? They are as valuable as our passports if we choose to travel. I have stashed our in our Safety Deposit Boxes at the bank. YeS! I want to cruise that bad and I don't want to lose them!!!

Edited by Baked Alaska
em fa sis

11 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-professionals/faq/358/are-state-county-or-local-health-departments-required-to-comply-with-hipaa/index.html

In this case since the state health agencies are dealing with private medical info about people, and in some cases ran the vaccination programs, they're bound by HIPAA

you are correct here, an actual case where HIPAA applies

45 minutes ago, Baked Alaska said:

WITSH will we do if we lose our cards? Seriously! I've copied mine, made a pdf of them, etc., but if they want an original and lose them, where do we get the replacements? They are as valuable as our passports if we choose to travel. 

Like my US Passport, you can see it but you can't have it.

48 minutes ago, Baked Alaska said:

WITSH will we do if we lose our cards? Seriously! I've copied mine, made a pdf of them, etc., but if they want an original and lose them, where do we get the replacements? They are as valuable as our passports if we choose to travel. 

Depending on where you want to go, they are valuable now if you want to travel now. But 6 months from now, or maybe a year from now they will be meaningless.  Once the whole world has a chance to get vaccinated (talking about supply issues, not anti-vaxxers), there will be no further need for travel restrictions.  Some people got really upset over the idea of vaccine passports but I always saw them as a temporary measure for those that REALLY want to travel in a pandemic.  Among the reasons they didn't get implemented was the expense of putting together a system that would only be used a short time.  (That's my opinion of course).

12 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Check-in is now available for the Adventure cruises through at least the July 24 cruise.

That means it may be only 2 weeks away for our August check-in. ?

WOW, they let us check in for our August sailing this evening, I almost passed out in joy.

Edited by CrznTxn
Additional information

• 1 year later...