Australia/NZ Cruising News

Could this have anything to do with the New Zealand sounds?  I know there was a group trying to ban cruise ships and talks of tighter environmental regulations.   Brilliance has gas turbines that can be run much cleaner compared to Enchantment.  

8 minutes ago, CruisingOz said:

We are on tje Ovation doing the sounds in early Nov this year, so I do not think this is the issue

Ovation is ten times cleaner than Enchantment.  Ovation has advanced purification that produces a lot of white smoke that is mostly steam.  That's how it manages fine in Alaska.  Maybe it was Alaska that got Enchantment booted.  

9 hours ago, twangster said:

You were right, Brilliance it is.  

Next will be Quantum,maybe not this season but next Australian season.

Brisbane seems to be unpopular compared to Sydney.

50 minutes ago, Chili said:

Watch this space. Royal will homeport a ship at Brisbane 12 months of the year as a direct competitor to P&O & Carnival. 
Prices are certainly cheaper on the Quantum with a similar cabin to what I booked on the Ovation Transpacific being a fraction of the price. Although the cruise for my sister 50th in Nov is nearly sold out leavi g only a couple of high end suites.

1 hour ago, CruisingOz said:

Watch this space. Royal will homeport a ship at Brisbane 12 months of the year as a direct competitor to P&O & Carnival. 
Prices are certainly cheaper on the Quantum with a similar cabin to what I booked on the Ovation Transpacific being a fraction of the price. Although the cruise for my sister 50th in Nov is nearly sold out leavi g only a couple of high end suites.

Let’s see 

Maybe a smaller ship but everyone from the U.S. wants Sydney Harbour.

All Brisbane has is bad transport and a sewage plant at the cruise terminal.

11 minutes ago, CruisingOz said:

Hey @twangster do you have any pictures or comments on JS cabin 1100 on Brilliance of the Seas. It is an aft corner deck 10.

we are hoping we can convince Royal to move our aft corner Enchantment cabin 

Very popular JS.  Corner afts are great.  The one on the other side (1602) tends to have more noise complaints from above but 1100 less so, not sure why.  I was just in 9256 right below 1100 for Alaska on Serenade.  Love this location.  9256 is not a JS. 

Right above 1100 is WJ outdoor seating so there is potential for those people that drag chairs but it's not a pathway for food carts so...  YMMV.  The general consensus seems to be the risk of an occasional chair dragger is worth it given the corner aft sweeping views.  

On 7/29/2022 at 5:25 PM, Chili said:

Next will be Quantum,maybe not this season but next Australian season.

I thought the same thing. Even trying to give away theme park tickets to sweeten the deal. Must be desperate.

1 hour ago, mattymay said:

I thought the same thing. Even trying to give away theme park tickets to sweeten the deal. Must be desperate.

Yep, there was free airfares from sydney for awhile, didn’t seem to work .

On 7/24/2022 at 8:23 AM, Chili said:

Adelaide in December,what cruise is that ? I’m on Ovation the 7th.

I wonder how olah is going?

Hopefully she and all her family are  ok . I am on the ovation cruise on the 7th Dec it stops in Adelaide ,still no excursions available304789894_Screenshot2022-08-06at13-23-22RoyalCaribbean.thumb.png.58e909423dbe5e73fb6edd83e54e1d4c.png

4 hours ago, Big Tule said:

Hopefully she and all her family are  ok . I am on the ovation cruise on the 7th Dec it stops in Adelaide ,still no excursions available304789894_Screenshot2022-08-06at13-23-22RoyalCaribbean.thumb.png.58e909423dbe5e73fb6edd83e54e1d4c.png

The Ukraine troupes will be getting good martini’s.

Hopefully we will do the handoff tour but it’s not available???

08F84797-D15D-4728-8FE3-ABB302072FBF.thumb.png.47820f79ad0aad65b88b72a565495d8a.png

Yep , see you both onboard.

Got email this morning with the Australian protocols - https://www.royalcaribbean.com/aus/en/the-healthy-sail-center?country=AUS

95% vaccination. 12 and over must be vaccinated although allowing medical exemptions. Pre cruise negative test "likely" although will be confirmed closer to sailing dates.

1 hour ago, ScottishRobbie said:

Got email this morning with the Australian protocols - https://www.royalcaribbean.com/aus/en/the-healthy-sail-center?country=AUS

95% vaccination. 12 and over must be vaccinated although allowing medical exemptions. Pre cruise negative test "likely" although will be confirmed closer to sailing dates.

I did a P&O out of Sydney a couple of months ago and it was a self administered RAT .

On boarding day they weren’t interested,they just wanted to see my credit card.
It will probably be the same.

7 hours ago, Chili said:

I did a P&O out of Sydney a couple of months ago and it was a self administered RAT .

Did you have to self administer the RAT at the port? (I can't imagine that not being the case... how else could they prove it was you that took the test unless proctored?

If it was a proctored test which service do use in Australia?

4 hours ago, EmersonNZ said:

Did you have to self administer the RAT at the port? (I can't imagine that not being the case... how else could they prove it was you that took the test unless proctored?

If it was a proctored test which service do use in Australia?

I couldn’t understand it at the time but it was and still is self administration.

That’s ,you do it yourself at home within 24 hours of embarking with a home test RAT.

I took a photo of the negative RAT on my phone just in case.
That shows time ,date but they didn’t care ???.
They wanted photo ID and a credit card and that’s it.

While they where recording our payment details they said read a card that asked if we had symptoms or tested positive in the last week or so.

AND that’s it ,here’s your paperwork and have a great time.

So basically a honesty system. You could quite easily ,not do one and they wouldn’t care.

One note ,it was only a 4 night cruise and a few people I know come back with Covid after the cruise. So a longer cruise it may be different as the incubation time onboard may make things different.

That's rather scary to tell the truth..... I would hope that if the Australian authorities require testing before a cruise they tighten up on that a little.

If they drop that requirement... fine (at least you sail knowing that is the case which allows you to do your own risk assessment knowing that), but if you have it at least have a procedure in place that makes sure there is some validity in it (and yes, you can test negative today but still bring it on board... at least that is unknown though not potentially knowingly). 

Be interesting to see how it plays out.