Couples Swedish massage

Ashleyb

If you have experience with land based massage venues it's pretty similar but they will do a hard sell at the end trying to push a range of products.  It's more expensive compared to a massage on land but if its a special occasion perhaps it's worth it.  They outsource the spa to a 3rd party that does many different cruise lines.

21 minutes ago, twangster said:

If you have experience with land based massage venues it's pretty similar but they will do a hard sell at the end trying to push a range of products.  It's more expensive compared to a massage on land but if its a special occasion perhaps it's worth it.  They outsource the spa to a 3rd party that does many different cruise lines.

I have never had a massage and was just looking at ways to splurge for my boyfriend and I!

My wife and I did this about 2 years ago, and it was a great experience.  Just be prepared for the previously mentioned upsell at the end and can give a strong No Thanks.

Depending on your itinerary, and if you are flexible with when it can happen, there will likely be onboard deals that are cheaper than the cruise planner price.  If you are willing to risk it, and/or get an off peak time, then waiting is beneficial.

8 minutes ago, jagnew said:

My wife and I did this about 2 years ago, and it was a great experience.  Just be prepared for the previously mentioned upsell at the end and can give a strong No Thanks.

Depending on your itinerary, and if you are flexible with when it can happen, there will likely be onboard deals that are cheaper than the cruise planner price.  If you are willing to risk it, and/or get an off peak time, then waiting is beneficial.

Great, thank you!!

We tried it on our honeymoon, but it seemed overpriced for the "privilege" of being in same room as my wife to get a massage. You're not holding hands or looking deeply into each other's eyes...you're both face down on a table with eyes closed getting a massage. 

I think there's better value (and wider variety of massage choices) if you both book spa massages at the same time, but in different rooms.

Regarding the "hard sell" that inevitably comes at the end of the session....  I have found that I can cut them off at the pass by telling them before they even start that I am not interested in purchasing any products or services and please do not waste either of our time.  You can do that in a way that isn't offensive and it saves a lot of time and pressure at the end.  Once, I had them try and do their "schpeel" on me anyway (even after I had told them not to) and I just walked out.  I didn't feel bad doing that as they had already been warned.

For the same amount of money - maybe consider a different activity that might be more rewarding, in terms of memories or quality time together.   The prices are inflated - which is to be expected, and the massages aren't terrible... but is there an excursion you could explore?   Or a couples massage on land that might be better priced, support a local economy, and provide a better experience?

I've had three massages on board various ships - and they've all been fine... but for the extra price I always had a bit of buyer's remorse at the end and I don't book them any more

23 minutes ago, DJsMrs said:

For the same amount of money - maybe consider a different activity that might be more rewarding, in terms of memories or quality time together.   The prices are inflated - which is to be expected, and the massages aren't terrible... but is there an excursion you could explore?   Or a couples massage on land that might be better priced, support a local economy, and provide a better experience?

I've had three massages on board various ships - and they've all been fine... but for the extra price I always had a bit of buyer's remorse at the end and I don't book them any more

Good point. We booked the excursions we wanted already and had some extra money left in our budget so that’s why I was even considering it. We may just get one on land before we go! Thanks for the advice!

I visit the spa on every cruise, and a couples massage is fun, though other posters are correct, you're not getting great bonding time, there's no talking you're just in the same room. That being said we do enjoy this type of thing, it's just fun.

And agreed, no bamboo, especially not your first massage! 

27 minutes ago, Sharla said:

I visit the spa on every cruise, and a couples massage is fun, though other posters are correct, you're not getting great bonding time, there's no talking you're just in the same room. That being said we do enjoy this type of thing, it's just fun.

And agreed, no bamboo, especially not your first massage! 

Thank you!!

34 minutes ago, MicDay said:

I LOVE massages!!  I guess I'm too cheap to pay for the inflated price on a ship.  

Be careful with a deep tissue massage.  If done right they are awesome but if they are done wrong, its very painful!!!!

I have a feeling that a bamboo massage is like a bad deep tissue massage.

Thank you!

On 1/3/2021 at 6:43 PM, Ashleyb said:

Anyone done this massage? Is it worth the price and how was your experience? We will be on allure if that helps

My Wife and I have done couples massages on every cruise.  Kind of expensive, compared to a massage back on shore. 

But your on vacation!! So why not splurge. 

On 1/4/2021 at 7:18 AM, Matt said:

I think there's better value (and wider variety of massage choices) if you both book spa massages at the same time, but in different rooms.

+1 to this advice.
We have never done the couples massage but I have tried a variety of massage services; all of which I loved. Watch for embarkation day spa promotions; I have jumped on these.  Surprisingly, one of my best treatments at sea was a head/foot massage I won playing BINGO. Heavenly ?

On 1/4/2021 at 8:32 AM, WAAAYTOOO said:

Once, I had them try and do their "schpeel" on me anyway (even after I had told them not to) and I just walked out.

One day I will be this bold... but I can barely send back something I didn't even order at a restaurant ??

On 1/11/2021 at 12:18 PM, JimnKathy said:

My suggestion is to get a massage a day or two prior to sailing in your hometown...it's a better value AND will really get you in the mood to relax and enjoy your cruise!

+1 to this! We did the couples massage on our last cruise, and I almost smacked my husband when I saw the price ? (to be fair... I am the cheap one in the marriage) The massage itself was relaxing... but no different than any couples massage we've had in the past. The biggest "advantage" IMO is the ability to use the Spa waiting area to relax and decompress from the ruckus that is cruise life. I think that might include access to the Thermal Spa on-board... but I couldn't look at our cruise-planner since RCCL had the audacity to cancel our April 4th 2020 cruise out of San Juan!

My personal advice is to skip the massage onboard, and get a massage done where you can control the factors that may be important to YOU! That may be affordability, quality, variability, or quality ratings. We always arrive into the port town a day early... Why not get one done on land, skip the cruise "TAX", and get your vacation started with a "happy beginning" ? 

• 9 months later...