Royal Caribbean Blog

House Recon - OK, So Not a Cruise Blog...

We’re sitting in the AA Admiral’s Club waiting for our flight to Miami.  We have 2 appointments (tomorrow, (Friday) and Monday) to do our new build “options and upgrades”.  I have a headache already knowing that we have to make so many ($$) decisions. Then we get to cool our jets for 11 months and wait for it to be built. Ugh.

Believe it or not, there has been yet another curve ball in the “will-she-or-won’t-she” employment saga. It seems that my colleague, to whom I had willed sole control of my previous DoD project, is leaving her position to go over to the dark side (leaving the contractor world to become a Fed...<shudder>).  This leaves the contract out of compliance with the “critical personnel” requirement. I received a frantic text from another colleague on Tuesday afternoon asking what it would take to get me to come back - even part time.  CRAP !  We chatted yesterday on the phone. I explained that I was up to my a** in moving boxes and am headed south, permanently.  “Not a problem”, he exclaimed !  “We don’t care where you live, we just need your credentials....errr...I mean...we miss you so much” !  I said, “I have 101 cruise nights booked in 2021” !  “We’ll work around that.  Work whenever you want, if you don’t want to travel, we will hire someone to do that for you.” Oh sh*t.

I told him that we were heading out of town for 6 days and that I would think about it.  The secret truth is, the part of the job that I truly miss is the awesome travel that we did.  Having sites all over the world, we got to do some really fun things. So if I DO decide to do this, no way am I gonna let anyone else do the fun trips !  The ones coming up next would be back to Bahrain and over to Australia. So....maybe.

I guess I will be a mercenary and let $$ do the talking. If the money’s good enough and they don’t care where I live or how often I’m around, can I really say “no” ? But then, we’ve been THERE before, right ?  A job too good to refuse ?  This is different though. These are my peeps.  I know the players, the clients, I created the entire program from nothing, worked it for 17 years... Anyone out there willing to guess how this will go ?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, we did it !  Put down a down payment to get started.  Picked out a house and lot.  Should be ready in just a bit more than a year.  Meanwhile, we must return to VA and sell our house.  We will m

I am bored and tired of not having any live blogs to read, so I’m going to create a live blog about coming to Florida on a house-hunting recon. While no one is interested in my house-hunting per

Negative....but look for us on America’s Most Wanted b/c someone is likely to die before it’s over. 😢😢😊😁

Posted Images

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

We’re sitting in the AA Admiral’s Club waiting for our flight to Miami.  We have 2 appointments (tomorrow, (Friday) and Monday) to do our new build “options and upgrades”.  I have a headache already knowing that we have to make so many ($$) decisions. Then we get to cool our jets for 11 months and wait for it to be built. Ugh.

Believe it or not, there has been yet another curve ball in the “will-she-or-won’t-she” employment saga. It seems that my colleague, to whom I had willed sole control of my previous DoD project, is leaving her position to go over to the dark side (leaving the contractor world to become a Fed...<shudder>).  This leaves the contract out of compliance with the “critical personnel” requirement. I received a frantic text from another colleague on Tuesday afternoon asking what it would take to get me to come back - even part time.  CRAP !  We chatted yesterday on the phone. I explained that I was up to my a** in moving boxes and am headed south, permanently.  “Not a problem”, he exclaimed !  “We don’t care where you live, we just need your credentials....errr...I mean...we miss you so much” !  I said, “I have 101 cruise nights booked in 2021” !  “We’ll work around that.  Work whenever you want, if you don’t want to travel, we will hire someone to do that for you.” Oh sh*t.

I told him that we were heading out of town for 6 days and that I would think about it.  The secret truth is, the part of the job that I truly miss is the awesome travel that we did.  Having sites all over the world, we got to do some really fun things. So if I DO decide to do this, no way am I gonna let anyone else do the fun trips !  The ones coming up next would be back to Bahrain and over to Australia. So....maybe.

I guess I will be a mercenary and let $$ do the talking. If the money’s good enough and they don’t care where I live or how often I’m around, can I really say “no” ? But then, we’ve been THERE before, right ?  A job too good to refuse ?  This is different though. These are my peeps.  I know the players, the clients, I created the entire program from nothing, worked it for 17 years... Anyone out there willing to guess how this will go ?

OK so there are frequent flyer and hotel points still in play too.  That's the only thing I miss about business travel are the points, but I don't fondly appreciate what it did to my neck back after 3 million miles.

6 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Anyone out there willing to guess how this will go ?

I know nothing of what your job is or pays...but your hesitations just seem to indicate you still have some part of you not willing to end it all for full retirement status.  So...my guess is you will stay connected to your work...in some capacity.  My opinion: if there is no real stressors and you truly love the work (and perks) and you have nothing else keeping you from the dedication of the job, then keep doing it!  But perhaps you could at least set a goal to determine exactly when you would like to truly and fully RETIRE and stick to it.  I feel as though you will know when it is the time...

No one can make that important decision other than you (with helpful input from your husband, of course).  Best of luck!!

11 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

“We don’t care where you live, we just need your credentials....errr...I mean...we miss you so much” !  

Please be careful 'your credentials' are not being used by someone less capable.... It sounds like you have a good reputation so do no not jeopardize it....Though I think you are a smart cookie and trust your colleagues sometimes the almighty buck can tempt people off the path...Good luck whatever you decide

7 hours ago, Big Tule said:

Please be careful 'your credentials' are not being used by someone less capable.... 

To be honest, I am confident that this would be mentoring situation. They are trying to prepare for the future and that’s smart.  Frankly, while my credentials are important, it’s the longevity aspect that is the show stopper.  There’s really no substitute for that except to get someone in there to learn and put in the time so that they will eventually have longevity, too.  I’m happy to help.  

6 minutes ago, Yesiamthere said:

Just finished reading all of this in one sitting.  I now feel “invested” in your decisions so please keep us updated on job or no job....move now or move later.  Thank you for such a “fun” read!

Lol.  You must be very bored.  🤩🤩

Will do.  I have some stuff to pass re: the trip, mask-wearing, airline policies, etc but just haven’t had time to sit down and do it.   

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

Had the closing on our VA house this morning and headed south with a VERY full 26' U Haul truck !  I can't believe everything fit in there, but it did.  I was even able to fit a number of my favorite Hibiscus (or high biscuits, as I call them) in there.  YIIPPEE !!!

Florence, SC is about 1/3 of the way so that's where we are spending the night, tonite.  JAX will be the next stop tomorrow night and then on to Port St. Lucie on Thursday.

We were able to secure an adequate rental home for the next year.  As long as it's reasonably clean (and I am assured that it will be) I really don't care much about it.  It's just an interim place to sleep.  It's in one of the newer gated communities (The Cascades) so I'm sure we'll be very comfortable there until our house is ready (Sept/Oct 2021).

I have accepted the PT job for my old contract as an Independent Contractor.  I will not be doing any work on that contract until probably early Dec. as I have to get to the new house and get settled.  Looking forward to it, truly.  It will be nice to be back with the old team.

Anyway, on with the new adventure !  How exciting.

RELEASE THE KRAKKEN !!

I just read this entire thread.  Congrats on buying/building in Florida, selling your home, semi retiring, etc!  I’m looking forward to hearing about your building journey. 

I have a few more years to retirement but recently learned I can continue to work remote indefinitely, as long as I’m willing to fly in to a main office a few times a year (the only good thing to come out of Covid). So, our plan is to sell the house (we’re in Michigan) right after the holidays and move to Florida.  We’re going to rent for a while, as we’re not sure where we want to land. Like you, we most likely will build.   

Thanks for sharing your experiences!  It’s nice to read good news.  

New update.

Decided that JAX was too close so we drove another hour and ended up in Palm Coast.  A very cute community close to Flagler Beach and north of Daytona.  This will leave just a short 2.5 hour drive in to PSL for tomorrow.  Our FL realtor will give us the key to the rental and then bright and early on Thursday we will unload the truck and return it to the local U Haul.  Things seem to be going frightfully  well.  I'm sure there is some surprise waiting for us somewhere....

For now though, all is well.  Last leg tomorrow !!!

6 hours ago, Ferramc said:

our plan is to sell the house (we’re in Michigan) right after the holidays and move to Florida.  We’re going to rent for a while, as we’re not sure where we want to land. Like you, we most likely will build

This is very exciting news !!  I think you're making the right decision.  My advice is.....don't wait any longer than you have to.  The price of our new build has already gone up $5K since we signed in Sept.  They simply cannot build them fast enough down here.  It's a balmy 75 degrees here today. My daughter (western MD) sent a video of a steady snow.  NO THANKS !!!  SOOOO glad to be down here where it's warm.

14 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

This will leave just a short 2.5 hour drive in to PSL for tomorrow.

2.5 hour drive to get a Pumpkin Spice Latte?!?!? Now that's dedication!! 😁

Seriously, though, glad you were able to make extra time yesterday so that today is a nice leisurely trip. May all the remaining steps along the way be equally smooth!