Grandeur staying with Royal for now

Just saw this on the first page:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2020/08/26/royal-caribbean-will-keep-grandeur-of-the-seas-the-fleet

Yay! Hopefully they can keep her and her sisters around for a bit longer. Now begs the question - where will she go? Enchantment seems committed to Baltimore now and I doubt that they would want to lose the extra capacity by putting Grandeur back there. Maybe she'll head to Europe?

9 minutes ago, Matt said:

I wouldnt be surprised if Grandeur stays in Baltimore and Enchantment gets moved elsewhere

Enchantment is actually one of the few ships in the fleet that has never done Europe (except for Radiance & Majesty), I wonder if that could change...

Maybe an extra ship for the UK - doing Northern Europe cruises from either Harwich or Southampton while Anthem does Med & Canaries? Or could take over a former Pullmantur route from Spain.

Given that Grandeur is still showing her age, do you think they would do any kind of cosmetic updates to keep her appeal, wherever she sails? Right now, if I were going to sail out of Baltimore I'd prefer Enchantment given the "stretch" she was given and the features that allowed to be added. I've read so many comments now about how Grandeur is showing her age, looking "tired", and desperately needing some cosmetic work done that I'd hope Royal will see the need if they now plan to keep her going in the fleet for a few more years.

She'll still have the issue of being the least-upgraded ship of all her siblings, with the fewest amenities, and I highly doubt Royal would do anything to "amplify" her in that regard. But at least give her some fresh carpet and paint, and maybe some new decor and other small updates that would freshen her up a bit.

46 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Given that Grandeur is still showing her age, do you think they would do any kind of cosmetic updates to keep her appeal, wherever she sails? Right now, if I were going to sail out of Baltimore I'd prefer Enchantment given the "stretch" she was given and the features that allowed to be added. I've read so many comments now about how Grandeur is showing her age, looking "tired", and desperately needing some cosmetic work done that I'd hope Royal will see the need if they now plan to keep her going in the fleet for a few more years.

She'll still have the issue of being the least-upgraded ship of all her siblings, with the fewest amenities, and I highly doubt Royal would do anything to "amplify" her in that regard. But at least give her some fresh carpet and paint, and maybe some new decor and other small updates that would freshen her up a bit.

Prime and paint :)

53 minutes ago, SPS said:

This post has been up for over an hour and there’s still no reaction from @coneyraven?

???

YES!!!!!!

I'm hoping @Matt is right about her staying in Baltimore.  Here's the key difference between her and Enchantment ..... The specialty restaurants.  Enchantment only has Chops, While, my beloved Lady G also has Giovanni's Table, and, my favorite, Izumi ---- which sits on the backside of the VCL ---- amazing views from there (pictured).

In a year of shitty news, we really needed this.

IMG_4071.JPG

36 minutes ago, coneyraven said:

YES!!!!!!

I'm hoping @Matt is right about her staying in Baltimore. 

I would think, given the CDC strongly suggesting their willingness to allow ships with balconies to possibly sail, uf Royal is set on keeping the Vision Class ships & Majesty in the fleet...Royal would move them to foreign ports more friendly to balcony-less ships, like the Middle East, some parts of Asia & the Med.

I haven't been on Lady G since 2017 but I think you have to be careful reading reviews that "paint" older ships as tired and run down.  

Radiance class and older are getting up there in age.  It's a matter of expectations.  If you sail Symphony and enjoy all that modern decor then all of the older ships won't have that vibe.  

I have a twenty year old car.  It's in great shape for a car of this vintage.  However it doesn't have that new car smell (or look or feel).  It's got some wear here and there but it's in really good shape and I love it.  The A/C blows cold air and I upgraded the radio, added bluetooth and some LED interior lighting so it's been refreshed.  However some might say it has an old and tired look.  Duh!  It's twenty years old!  But it's still in great shape. 

Compared to a brand car it doesn't have that new car feel but that doesn't mean it still isn't fun to drive and enjoyable.

25 minutes ago, Zambia-Zaire said:

I would think, given the CDC strongly suggesting their willingness to allow ships with balconies to possibly sail, uf Royal is set on keeping the Vision Class ships & Majesty in the fleet...Royal would move them to foreign ports more friendly to balcony-less ships, like the Middle East, some parts of Asia & the Med.

How about basing one up in Glasgow, Scotland, since the Azamara ships are now parked there? ? 

Imagine boarding right next to IKEA. What a way to start a vacation!

1 hour ago, coneyraven said:

I'm hoping @Matt is right about her staying in Baltimore.  Here's the key difference between her and Enchantment ..... The specialty restaurants.  Enchantment only has Chops, While, my beloved Lady G also has Giovanni's Table, and, my favorite, Izumi ---- which sits on the backside of the VCL ---- amazing views from there (pictured).

IMG_4071.JPG

Interesting. When I was reading about Enchantment, it said that part of the purpose of the "stretch" was to add specialty dining along with extra cabins, pool, and some other enhancements. So before that "stretch", it had no specialty dining at all, and after that it only got Chops? That... kind of sucks.

I'd much rather be on a ship with 3 specialty options than just one, at least when I have a family that doesn't all like steak / meat as the primary entree option. And that placement for Izumi does look really nice! Does it still do hot rocks?

5 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Interesting. When I was reading about Enchantment, it said that part of the purpose of the "stretch" was to add specialty dining along with extra cabins, pool, and some other enhancements. So before that "stretch", it had no specialty dining at all, and after that it only got Chops? That... kind of sucks.

I'd much rather be on a ship with 3 specialty options than just one, at least when I have a family that doesn't all like steak / meat as the primary entree option. And that placement for Izumi does look really nice! Does it still do hot rocks?

Sure does ..... that was my birthday dinner last time I was on her.  The hot rocks are awesome. 

5 minutes ago, Matt said:

Proving this point, I have read reviews that Allure, Explorer and a bunch of other big, new ships are "tired" or "in desperate need of a refurb".

I am taking a cruise on Explorer in October 2021 out of Galveston (things had better be resolved by then).  The reviews I saw about it being old and tired were worrying me a bit, but I heard goods things about the ship from my TA and saw videos where it looked good on YouTube.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2020 at 12:47 PM, Zambia-Zaire said:

Grandeur is NOT balcony-less ...... Balcomy Cabins are on Decks 7 & 8 ....... In the words of Jared (go all the way back to '16 for that joke) , she has "2 WHOLE DECKS OF BALCONIES"

• 7 months later...