Jump to content
TheaFromCDA

Anthem OTS 2019-Nov-16 re-routed

Recommended Posts

Hi guys,

We just received an e-mail notifying us of an itinerary change for the Nov 16, 1019 Anthem OTS sailing (snippet below).

 

Im not too upset about missing Florida but was really looking forward to Cococay.

Question- For those that have been through something similar before:

Is it possible to have Bermuda-Cococay reroute or is it too far that if we end up with Plan B, there’s zero chance of a Cococay stop? 

email snippet:

“We’re being as transparent as possible, as early as possible, to help you plan the best cruise. Below, are the considerations we’re making through this decision process given what we already know:

 

  • First and foremost, your safety is our highest priority.
  • We don’t want to make a decision too early and miss out on being able to take you to the Bahamas.
  • Due to the way the storm’s moving and the swells it’s creating, we already know we will be unable to visit Port Canaveral, Florida.
  • There is a potential for impact to our visit to Nassau, Bahamas and Perfect Day at CocoCay.

 

So, what’s the plan? We have a couple, actually. 

 

  • Plan A: Currently, we hope to sail around the storm and stick to our Bahamas itinerary, and as long as it’s safe, we’ll visit Nassau and Perfect Day at CocoCay.
  • Plan B: Should it be unsafe to stick to our original itinerary, we would visit Bermuda and overnight there. Bermuda is a snorkeler’s paradise, from the pink sand beaches, to the historic towns of St. George’s or Hamilton, and the natural wonders of Crystal and Fantasy cave, there really is something for everyone to enjoy. So, it would still be an awesome cruise! ”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, TheaFromCDA said:

Question- For those that have been through something similar before:

Is it possible to have Bermuda-Cococay reroute or is it too far that if we end up with Plan B, there’s zero chance of a Cococay stop? 

I can't see how they could got to both Bermuda and the Bahamas in 7 days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I don't think it would be possible.  I'm looking at this storm track, and it looks like there's a chance they can slingshot East ahead of the storm and get to Bahamas, and the weather doesn't look terrible there.  By the same token, overnight in Bermuda is also a lot of fun...wherever we go, there we are!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Flacruiser99 said:

I can't see how they could got to both Bermuda and the Bahamas in 7 days.

Ah... thank you... I am sadly bad with gauging distances . Though that makes sense that if it’s routed there to avoid the storm, it’s also sadly too far to get to and back.

7 minutes ago, Mike Stephens said:

Yeah, I don't think it would be possible.  I'm looking at this storm track, and it looks like there's a chance they can slingshot East ahead of the storm and get to Bahamas, and the weather doesn't look terrible there.  By the same token, overnight in Bermuda is also a lot of fun...wherever we go, there we are!

Thank you, I’ve never been to Bermuda so I’ll go check what the Matt/ others on here recommend to do. Super disappointed about possibly missing Cococay😞

Since the ship sails tomorrow, does the RCCL decide which reroute option to take before leaving the departure port? Or can the captain decide Saturday night Sunday? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Flacruiser99 said:

I can't see how they could got to both Bermuda and the Bahamas in 7 days.

I don't see why not.  This past June we were on a 9N Anthem cruise that went to Bermuda, Philipsburg, San Juan, & Labadee.  Seems doable to me...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am out of the loop here, is this because of a hurricane? Are we really still seeing hurricanes in mid November? That really stinks if you can't get to Coco Cay. Bermuda is awesome, been there 4 times and LOVE it but still not great to miss the new Coco Cay. Good luck, I hope everything works out for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're on this tmrw too. Super nervous because this is our first cruise ever and now there is so much uncertainty regarding the intenirary. If we do either option A or B, does that mean there would be only 2 port days instead of 3? Seems like way too few port days for a 7 night cruise. Idk whether to cancel or not. We booked this for the CoCo Cay stop so missing it would be such a disappointment. What would some of the seasoned cruisers do in this case? Should we go for it anyway? 

I also still haven't heard back on Royal Up and we're less than 24 hours away at this point. Is this normal? I thought we should have heard back by now with either an acceptance or rejection email.

Super bummed because this is not a good way to start off a first cruise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cez said:

@CarlaB @TheaFromCDA

See you on the ship 🙂

I'm loading my carry on with plenty of ginger and crossing fingers that we can make to Bahamas. Bermuda forecast sucks 😞

 

Right! Like I maybe wouldn't have minded Bermuda but it looks like it's gonna rain. So having to miss Coco Cay and being in rainy Bermuda isn't looking like the best option. 😩 So conflicted on what to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, CarlaB said:

 

I also still haven't heard back on Royal Up and we're less than 24 hours away at this point. Is this normal? I thought we should have heard back by now with either an acceptance or rejection email.

 

I've always received my Royal Up email the night before embarkation.  Check your spam folder as well.  Itinerary changes are just part of cruising - they aren't going to sail you through a storm (and you don't want them to!).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SpeedNoodles said:

I've always received my Royal Up email the night before embarkation.  Check your spam folder as well.  Itinerary changes are just part of cruising - they aren't going to sail you through a storm (and you don't want them to!).

Is that just for the standard rejection email or is there still a possibility it could be accepted this late? I mean seems like some people are cancelling so maybe some rooms opened up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CarlaB said:

Is that just for the standard rejection email or is there still a possibility it could be accepted this late? I mean seems like some people are cancelling so maybe some rooms opened up. 

They've always been rejection emails for me, but that doesn't mean that it couldn't go the other way, I'd think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On Anthem now and due to a medical emergency we are supposed to arrive at the pier in Bayonne in a few minutes. The Captain announced around noon that a passenger needed to get to the hospital but could not be flown by helicopter. So we have cruised quickly to arrive tonight instead of at 6am tomorrow.

So whatever the decision on your itinerary tomorrow at least you know the ship will be there!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CarlaB said:

Right! Like I maybe wouldn't have minded Bermuda but it looks like it's gonna rain. So having to miss Coco Cay and being in rainy Bermuda isn't looking like the best option. 😩 So conflicted on what to do.

Bermuda Public Forecast
Issued At: 4:30 pm Friday, November 15, 2019
 
Saturdayb_cloudy.gifHi 25 / 77Lo 22 / 72Sunny Periods
 
Sundayb_cloudy.gifHi 25 / 77Lo 22 / 72Sunny Periods
 
Mondayb_pcloudy.gifHi 26 / 78Lo 23 / 73Mix of Sun and Cloud
 
Tuesdayb_cloudy.gifHi 25 / 77Lo 22 / 72Sunny Periods

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Leaning towards cancelling at this point. So the new itinerary that is showing up on the app is leaving from Bayonne, sea day, THEN BACK to Bayonne and another sea day. 4 back to back sea days. It's like 40 degrees here now so basically we're circling in cold weather which means everyone is either crowding the indoor pools or inside for 4 days. Then an overnight in Bermuda which has highs of mid to low 70s next week and rain and thunderstorms. 😩

Super bummed out but at this point we are likely gonna cancel. I have two small kids and our main attraction was CoCo Cay and the ease of moving around that island and all the included activities. There won't be much for our small kids to do in Bermuda if it's raining both days. 

Historically hasn't Royal provided some kind of compensation in an event like this? They've completely changed the itineraries and now have 4 sea says in the cold North! I have called Royal twice and both times the employees don't even know what is going on. I had to forward both reps the email we got directly from Royal. They said the best they can do is refund one day for Coco Cay as a future cruise credit which one rep said would be maybe around $200-300. I thought I read here before that a cruise got rerouted to Canada up North instead and everyone who chose to go got 50% back refund AND a future cruise credit. Does that sound right? Shouldn't we be getting something similar especially given we'll have cold weather and rocky seas for the first 4 days?

Sorry for the long post and vent. We were so excited for this cruise we had planned for months and to be completely blindsided like this at the last minute is such a disappointment and so frustrating especially when Royal won't give us any definitive answer. I get Mother Nature is unpredictable but Royal won't even give me an answer. They have already updated the site and app to reflect Bermuda but the rep keeps telling me we're still going to Coco Cay and they aren't aware of the changes when we got an email DIRECTLY from Royal with the changes. 😩

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to consider myself a seasoned cruiser and unless Royal is offering a full refund if you cancel, I would still sail.  I have been on Anthem to Canada/NE and it was rainy a few of those days.  I didn't really notice as I found plenty to do on the ship that kept me warm and out of the rain

The kids will have Adventure Ocean which they may enjoy partaking in.

I always advise to take the cruise in these situations since the folks that sail tend to end up better compensated than those that cancel.  Royal won't offer more than a full refund and you can assume that's going to be a in the form of a Future Cruise Credit with restrictions and an expiration date.  If you're fine with that and could use it within the year, then go for it. 

If you do take the option to sail you sometimes end up a with partial FCC and OBC AND you still got to be on a cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AshleyDillo said:

I would like to consider myself a seasoned cruiser and unless Royal is offering a full refund if you cancel, I would still sail.  I have been on Anthem to Canada/NE and it was rainy a few of those days.  I didn't really notice as I found plenty to do on the ship that kept me warm and out of the rain

The kids will have Adventure Ocean which they may enjoy partaking in.

I always advise to take the cruise in these situations since the folks that sail tend to end up better compensated than those that cancel.  Royal won't offer more than a full refund and you can assume that's going to be a in the form of a Future Cruise Credit with restrictions and an expiration date.  If you're fine with that and could use it within the year, then go for it. 

If you do take the option to sail you sometimes end up a with partial FCC and OBC AND you still got to be on a cruise.

They're offering a full refund as an FCC. We decided to go with this option and hope to book Oasis when she's in Bayonne some time next year. Sucks to miss this after months of planning but both our jobs are flexible and our kids are not in grade school yet so we have the flexibility to book again at a later date when the seas are hopefully much calmer. 😭 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, RCIfan1912 said:

I am out of the loop here, is this because of a hurricane? Are we really still seeing hurricanes in mid November? That really stinks if you can't get to Coco Cay. Bermuda is awesome, been there 4 times and LOVE it but still not great to miss the new Coco Cay. Good luck, I hope everything works out for you.

Not going to lie,  I didn’t even know there was a potential storm prior to getting the email when we were already halfway driving to NJ From Canada😞

Due to the fact we were already on our way + time from work, cancelling wasn’t a viable option for us so I’m just 🤞🏽 That Plan A STILL happens. 

I know Carla had mentioned just one night in Bermuda which  confused me a little since it wasn’t one of the options given and unfortunately up until now (2:38AM EST, the Royal app still has the old itinerary and https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/itinerary-updates says no updates 😞)

@MaryS was kind enough to provide possible hope that Plan B would still be ok.

@CarlaB I hope that the next sailing goes better for you and the fam. This is the first time we’re sailing out of NJ (we’ve done Harmony and Symphony the prior years ) so I’m sure your kids will love Oasis (if that’s what you intend to rebook)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Cez said:

@CarlaB @TheaFromCDA

See you on the ship 🙂

I'm loading my carry on with plenty of ginger and crossing fingers that we can make to Bahamas. Bermuda forecast sucks 😞

 

@Cez I also stocked up on gravol so if you run low on ginger... just give me a shout and I’ll share some of my stash 🤣

I’m really still hoping Cococay happens... on Twitter the ppl on grandeur that had the same itinerary didn’t get the same notices as us. 
 

also what’s happening in Anthem that there seems to be a medical emergency that was bad enough to impact the trip 😳

 

here’s to hoping for Plan A + a safe trip for everyone on board!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the part of Anthem out of NYC year round that simply doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever.  I guess when you have 50,000,000 people within a 1 day drive, you can always find 4 or 5 thousand to fill up a ship for the week, but it's only November and the weather is ruining vacations.  

I guess you can compare the cold weather in the Northeast to cruising in hurricane season in the SE Atlantic and the Caribbean.  However, there are not always hurricanes in the Caribbean in September, and if there is, most of the time the cruise lines can work around them.  A dome of cold weather in the NE is a given from November to March, and there is only 1 direction you can go to get out of it.  You are pretty much guaranteed cold weather on the first day and the last day and hope that's all.

If given a free trip on the Anthem in January, I would take it gladly.  If making a choice with my hard earned money, I would fly to San Juan this time of year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cez said:

I think that we’ll be placed 12 miles from the shore to open casino

Dang... you’re probably right.

Given the fact it says we’re “anchored” +one of the responses of one of the twitter reps :

Hi there. More details will be provided once onboard on how you may get on and off the ship before it departs. -Sam

I’m hoping it means we can have in/out privileges...but your logic makes sense too ( if the weather won’t be to terrible)which actually is worse ... I was hoping I can cancel my voom plan,  just use my regular phone and just buy it for tues-fri ...which won’t work if we’re that far from port😞 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...