Walk in embarkation lunch at Chops?

Kurtp13

Sailing on Adventure in Nov.  I didn't book any speciality dining.  I tried a 3 day dinner package on our last cruise and didn't think it was worth extra expense.   The thing that I would like to know is if the windjammer is overwhelming on that first day, can i do a walk in lunch in Chops?  I don't really want to prebook.  If the windjammer isn't nuts I'll just go there. 

I have never seen a discount on Chops lunch.   I assume the on board cost is the same as prebooking.  I think walk ins are available on other days but I'm just not sure if they are also available on embarkation day.  

Ok don't want the key so that isn't interesting to me at all.  

14 minutes ago, Skid said:

Solarium Bistro (complimentary) should be open for lunch on embarkation day. Not as big a choice, but VERY nice and way less crowded than Windjammer.

Good idea.  I didn't realize there was a Solarium bistro on Adventure.   I thought they were on bigger ships.

Thanks to all.  Windjammer is fine except the first day when everyone is there.   

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Jicko said:

If your ship has The Key program, embark lunch at Chop's is for Keys only.

Not my experience. The Key is offered on our sailing, we are suite guests this Friday and have the Unlimited Dining Package. Our concierge has reserved lunch for us at Chops on embarkation day.

On 7/17/2019 at 5:46 PM, WAAAYTOOO said:

NAV is the only ship where we have ever been denied lunch at Chops on embarkation day.  We’ve always been able to get in but on NAV last month not even our Suites Concierge could get us in to Chops for lunch on embarkation. We went to Jamie’s instead. It was fine.

@WAAAYTOOO

did you have a dinning package in addition to being a suite guest ?

or

were you just a suite guest and could get into chops for lunch like suite guests can on a sea day?

We were both suite guests and had the unlimited dining package.  On all ships (except for NAV, so far) we are able to have the suites concierge book us into Chops where we are able to use our UDP for embarkation lunch.  Even on NAV, we were able to use our UDP but it was at Jamie's instead of Chops. I think the "new" rule is, if the restaurant is open, those with the UDP can eat there with no charge.  The only limitation is availability.  So far it seems to be working....

We did lunch @ Chops on our Adventure cruise May 2018 (wanted to avoid Windjammer, & make it a little more special), & there were only 2 or 3 tables being used while we were in there, lots of empty tables available.  Of course, that was before the Key rolled out, so may be very different now

• 3 weeks later...

Was on Ovation 2 weeks ago in a suite. Because of key sales chops was closed for everyone else. Concierge could not even get table. So another suite perk falls off the list. It does amaze me how royal has taken something that literally costs them nothing, early boarding, move up in line, wi-fi and a lunch and have turned it into a large revenue source. What next clean towels and soap 10 dollars a day. Coin slot on tv. Elevators cost 1 dollar a ride. 

• 2 months later...

I noticed in some fine print the Key Program is only available for purchase until November 16th (it's a test program I was told), so is you sail after that you don't have to worry. Also, Royal Caribbean has moved the location of lunch for people in the Key Program to Main Dining Room (still Chops lunch menu), so everyone could get faster/better service and they could accept walk in paying customers back into Chops Grill.

21 hours ago, panda123 said:

I noticed in some fine print the Key Program is only available for purchase until November 16th (it's a test program I was told), so is you sail after that you don't have to worry. Also, Royal Caribbean has moved the location of lunch for people in the Key Program to Main Dining Room (still Chops lunch menu), so everyone could get faster/better service and they could accept walk in paying customers back into Chops Grill.

The  program is pretty successful. I'm doubting they'll drop it.

14 hours ago, J-Fitz said:

Does having The Key mean that you can eat at the MDR that has the Chop's menu or you have to go to Chops in order to take advantage of that perk?

The Key will have a designated place (either Chops Grill or the MDR) for their embarkation lunch.  If the designated place is Chops, all Key personnel who wants embarkation lunch will go to Chops to eat.  IF their designated place is the MDR, all Key personnel will go to the MDR to get their embakation lunch.  Regardless of which venue that they eat in, the menu is the same - and it is from Chops Grill.

• 1 year later...
On 11/28/2020 at 8:13 AM, ericfromripp said:

they should do all that key stuff in the MDR.  its not fair that people spend alot more than $20 a day to have to eat somewhere they do not like.  i am very happy for coastal kitchen, at least there the food is good to very good depending on the ship.  i do like the udp but if theres alot of people you can get out of the way dining times.

The only dining that The Key offers is the embarkation lunch in the MDR with the Chops menu, so no idea what you mean by "all that key stuff".  There isn't any other Key stuff that'd fall under this category.