Jump to content
Royal Caribbean Blog

Deluxe beverage package for only one person?


Recommended Posts

My husband and I are sailing in July.  I don't drink and he does.  Last time he just bought drinks a la carte, but he wanted to get the deluxe beverage package this time.  Last time around they told me that with special permission (asking a supervisor) I could get my husband a drink package along with my soda package.  Today I called to get the deluxe drink and soda package, but I was told that the only way to skirt the alcohol rules is if I get the refreshment package.  I don't drink coffee either (maybe I'm a weirdo :10_wink:), so I don't want to pay $20/day more for nothing.

Is it possible to get a classic soda package and a deluxe drink package?  Should I try calling on another day to get a supervisor who might be more lenient? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Julie.a said:

My husband and I are sailing in July.  I don't drink and he does.  Last time he just bought drinks a la carte, but he wanted to get the deluxe beverage package this time.  Last time around they told me that with special permission (asking a supervisor) I could get my husband a drink package along with my soda package.  Today I called to get the deluxe drink and soda package, but I was told that the only way to skirt the alcohol rules is if I get the refreshment package.  I don't drink coffee either (maybe I'm a weirdo :10_wink:), so I don't want to pay $20/day more for nothing.

Is it possible to get a classic soda package and a deluxe drink package?  Should I try calling on another day to get a supervisor who might be more lenient? 

I would keep trying back, I already had the refreshment package when I called in to buy the UDP for my wife, and they were about to give me grief when I pointed that fact out they stopped.

It really does depend on the person or supervisor you talk to.

Just dealt with this on Friday (4th time calling in) with a completely different company, non-travel related and had to end up going to a second level supervisor to get the situation resolved.

Are you a Crown and Anchor member? If so you can call to that toll free number verses the other.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Julie.a said:

My husband and I are sailing in July.  I don't drink and he does.  Last time he just bought drinks a la carte, but he wanted to get the deluxe beverage package this time.  Last time around they told me that with special permission (asking a supervisor) I could get my husband a drink package along with my soda package.  Today I called to get the deluxe drink and soda package, but I was told that the only way to skirt the alcohol rules is if I get the refreshment package.  I don't drink coffee either (maybe I'm a weirdo :10_wink:), so I don't want to pay $20/day more for nothing.

Is it possible to get a classic soda package and a deluxe drink package?  Should I try calling on another day to get a supervisor who might be more lenient? 

I’ve been told by multiple representatives that if someone in the room has the UDP than at minimum any others must have the refreshment package. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, fonemanbob said:

Get the deluxe package for yourself.   Get your beverage walk away.  Then come back and get the wife`s beverage.  There is more than 1 way to skin a cat.

This is exactly the reason they put the new policy in place.  They watch for this pattern of consumption and will revoke the package without a refund if you are caught doing this.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, fonemanbob said:

Get the deluxe package for yourself.   Get your beverage walk away.  Then come back and get the wife`s beverage.  There is more than 1 way to skin a cat.

Why not just walk into the onboard shops and use the 5 finger discount at the same time?  Stealing is stealing and to promote it on a message board is publicly saying "I dont follow rules, your welcome to everyone else who gets to suffer because of me"

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rene Desmarais said:

I'm almost in the  same situation as you.      I drink coffee and booze and my wife doesn't, even Sodas.   My wife is happy in getting the basics, no need for any drink packages.   RCL said no to me buying the deluxe drink package.    So i guess it's no booze for me on the ship...  oh well

 

 

You can still buy alcohol for yourself, they just won't allow you to buy the package. Any drink can be purchased individually.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, twangster said:

This is exactly the reason they put the new policy in place.  They watch for this pattern of consumption and will revoke the package without a refund if you are caught doing this.  

I think that is a small reason this policy is put in place. IMO the main reason is they just can charge more money plain and simple. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Julie.a said:

Is it possible to get a classic soda package and a deluxe drink package?  Should I try calling on another day to get a supervisor who might be more lenient? 

My advice is call back RC a few times explaining your situation in a pleasant manner and hope one of the people you talk to you is lenient on allowing you to get the soda package instead of the refreshment package.

Otherwise, you could always forgo the drink package completely for your husband and drink a la carte and/or drink more heavily in port.

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, FManke said:

Some policies have changed since we cruised last. This only applies to packages including alcohol, correct? The other non-alcohol packages can be purchased for just one person in a cabin?

Thanks

That is correct.  Deluxe drink package only.

Rules on sharing drinks with any level of package remain the same.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

I’ve been told by multiple representatives that if someone in the room has the UDP than at minimum any others must have the refreshment package. 

This was my situation back in October but it took a few phone calls to even get that.   Keep trying is the only thing I can say.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm on Allure next month with the DDP for me and the refreshment for the wife. Price on the refreshment just dropped today for us, so it's only $10 more than the soda package. Maybe review prices today - there shouldn't be a $20/day difference between soda and refreshment package. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 8 months later...

Me and my wife were in the same situation, she is the drinker so she was interested in the deluxe beverage package. I called the cruise line but they said we could get the deluxe and refreshment package which I really didn't want. How we got around this was, once we were on the ship she purchased the beverage package from one of the welcome tables which are usually found once you step on the boat. They didn't require us to get the refreshment package, and she was able to get the deluxe package for herself. It was a little more expensive then the pre-cruise planner but whatever. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/23/2019 at 1:13 AM, Rene Desmarais said:

I'm almost in the  same situation as you.      I drink coffee and booze and my wife doesn't, even Sodas.   My wife is happy in getting the basics, no need for any drink packages.   RCL said no to me buying the deluxe drink package.    So i guess it's no booze for me on the ship...  oh well

 

 

You can still buy ala cart. We find that we don’t spend enough every single day to pay for the drink package, normally. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife gets free drinks in the casino and does not drink coffee, tea or other "refreshment" drinks. Does not make sense for us to buy the Deluxe Beverage Package for me and Refreshment Package for her to have drinks for both since I do not drink that much (at least not the higher dollar ones). RCL would not let just me get the DBP individually and on our last cruise my drink bill came to only $200 which is much less than the package would have been. Guess I'll keep on with the ala carte choice unless the intern returns with the $18 offer.😀

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...