SLJ

Royal Up Bid

43 minutes ago, MadamG2U said:

Hello

I did the royal upgrade from sky to star class

I bid a smooch over the minimum expecting nothing but hoping for the best

We are sailing on 12/15 on the Oasis of the Seas and I found out last week.

So yes it is possible.

MadamG2U

Awesome! Thank you for answering and congrats on your upgrade. Unfortunately,  since I posted this my cruise has sold out of suites. So I think my chances have significantly decreased.  🙄😔

Enjoy and Live it up for the rest of us!😎

17 minutes ago, Airish said:

Awesome! Thank you for answering and congrats on your upgrade. Unfortunately,  since I posted this my cruise has sold out of suites. So I think my chances have significantly decreased.  🙄😔

Enjoy and Live it up for the rest of us!😎

Maybe not.....I've read that RCCL will hold back suites.  When I did the bid I had a choice of 4 rooms, only one showed up when I did a fake booking and that bid expired.

When Royal first started RoyalUp, I imagined that it was in their best interest to sell all of the suites at their full “retail” price.  It didn’t seem to make sense to me that they would hold suites back and then offer them as RoyalUp upgrades.

Then I began to see how the program worked and now it makes sense for them to save some suites to use in their final RoyalUp lottery.  It seems that Royal can make MORE money on the cascade of upgrades than they can by selling 1 suite at retail.  If they are able to collect the upsell $$ from inside all the way to the high end suite, it is substantial and probably exceeds the price of a single suite at full retail price.  That would seem to be even more lucrative on the bigger ships with many more categories, which may help to explain the MOST recent recategorization scheme.  The more categories they can upgrade to, the more levels there are to the RoyalUp cascade. 

It’s all just a hunch. I have to real knowledge of how the program actually works.

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

When Royal first started RoyalUp, I imagined that it was in their best interest to sell all of the suites at their full “retail” price.  It didn’t seem to make sense to me that they would hold suites back and then offer them as RoyalUp upgrades.

Then I began to see how the program worked and now it makes sense for them to save some suites to use in their final RoyalUp lottery.  It seems that Royal can make MORE money on the cascade of upgrades than they can by selling 1 suite at retail.  If they are able to collect the upsell $$ from inside all the way to the high end suite, it is substantial and probably exceeds the price of a single suite at full retail price.  That would seem to be even more lucrative on the bigger ships with many more categories, which may help to explain the MOST recent recategorization scheme.  The most categories they can upgrade to, the more levels there are to the RoyalUp cascade. 

It’s all just a hunch. I have to real knowledge of how the program actually works.

Your hunch, to me, is on point

2 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Then I began to see how the program worked and now it makes sense for them to save some suites to use in their final RoyalUp lottery.  It seems that Royal can make MORE money on the cascade of upgrades than they can by selling 1 suite at retail.  If they are able to collect the upsell $$ from inside all the way to the high end suite, it is substantial and probably exceeds the price of a single suite at full retail price.  That would seem to be even more lucrative on the bigger ships with many more categories, which may help to explain the MOST recent recategorization scheme.  The most categories they can upgrade to, the more levels there are to the RoyalUp cascade. 

Makes alot of sense too! You guys give me hope!

I am currently booked in an Outside Balcony on Oasis January 12, 2020 and submitted a bid for Royal Up.

I was offered the following options:

Spacious Ocean View Balcony minimum $100, no bid

Ultra Spacious View with Large Balcony minimum $160, no bid

Junior Suite minimum bid $200, I bid $255

Grand Suite 1 bedroom minimum bid $500, I bid $600

Grand Suite 2 bedroom minimum bid $650, no bid

Owners Suite minimum bid $800, no bid

All are weak bids and I have no expectation of receiving any upgrade but wanted to share.

16 hours ago, DLCruiser said:

Finally heard from Royal, 22 hours before Dec 1 departure. Our bid to upgrade to the new Ultimate Panoramic Suite was not accepted. 😔 The minimum bid was 800, max was 2800. We bid 2240. Oh well, still have our Crown Loft L2 and $2240. 😊 

At least they give you the news on a day they know you'll be happy! Maybe it's a strategy lol.  Enjoy your vacay!

After thinking about this for a short period...If I'm not mistake someone said that the Royal Up program is outsourced to another company, i assume this is just for the software/data base only, correct. The software reports the highest bid for that category room type, which is passed off to RCI and they determine, based on cabin availability what price meets their price point for an automatic selection of winning bid. 

The reason i ask this is as it's somewhat confusing, as i know of people that have reported bids with the initial purchase price that have matched or exceeded current price and still were not selected as a upgrade worthy 🙁 knowing that there rooms in there category were available.

Things that make you go hmmmm!

32 minutes ago, mworkman said:

After thinking about this for a short period...If I'm not mistake someone said that the Royal Up program is outsourced to another company, i assume this is just for the software/data base only, correct. The software reports the highest bid for that category room type, which is passed off to RCI and they determine, based on cabin availability what price meets their price point for an automatic selection of winning bid. 

The reason i ask this is as it's somewhat confusing, as i know of people that have reported bids with the initial purchase price that have matched or exceeded current price and still were not selected as a upgrade worthy 🙁 knowing that there rooms in there category were available.

Things that make you go hmmmm!

The entire process is outsourced.  Same company does NCL upgrades that have been around for a a few years.  They also do many airlines, mostly non-U.S. airlines.  They also claim MSC.

At the bottom of a RoyalUp email is the notation:  Powered by PlusGrade.  https://www.plusgrade.com/

• Plusgrade is an award-winning technology company at the forefront of ancillary revenue and merchandising in the global travel industry. The pioneer of premium upgrade bidding, Plusgrade enables maximum return on unsold premium inventory through an engaging and effortless customer journey.

Basically they give PlusGrade criteria and a list of available cabins in inventory.  Criteria is complex because of muster station loading factors and only certain cabins can accommodate more than two guests so if bidding party has more than two guests it changes the awardable inventory.  Certain cabins are more marketable for general consumption so that is a factor as well.  Less expensive cabins are sold more easily at X days before sailing so by accepting a bid early they can free up inventory to be placed on the public website.  

I imagine there is an API that PlusGrade uses and select inventory is marked to be eligible.  It's relatively new so Royal is probably reviewing revenue impact over time and trying different things to see how it works in the real world.  Once the program has been around a while it will likely settle into something more predictable.  

@twangster  Here's more to the story, friends of ours are trying to upgrade on a cruise that we are sailing on. They were trying to game the system with the Royal up program, so they would be in the same room category as we are.  So long story of it is, they looked at what they payed for the cruise and subtracted what the current price is listed at and submitted a bid that matched current price hoping for automatic response of an upgrade and they are still in the stand-by awaiting as we speak.  

They did call their TA and was told that the price based on the original booking date paid, that they would have to cancel current booking in order to get current price, since it was under the 90 day mark and that would result in a 75% penalty window. With that being told to them the upgrade price quoted to them was way over the current price by $500.

15 minutes ago, mworkman said:

@twangster  Here's more to the story, friends of ours are trying to upgrade on a cruise that we are sailing on. They were trying to game the system with the Royal up program, so they would be in the same room category as we are.  So long story of it is, they looked at what they payed for the cruise and subtracted what the current price is listed at and submitted a bid that matched current price hoping for automatic response of an upgrade and they are still in the stand-by awaiting as we speak.  

They did call their TA and was told that the price based on the original booking date paid, that they would have to cancel current booking in order to get current price, since it was under the 90 day mark and that would result in a 75% penalty window. With that being told to them the upgrade price quoted to them was way over the current price by $500.

I wonder if their agent actually tried or just provided that response automatically.  If they are dealing with an agency where they can call and get a different customer service person I'd try to call again and try the upgrade.  

Sometimes Royal won't let you upgrade under 90 days but many times they will.  A travel agent won't know until they call Royal and ask.  

6 minutes ago, twangster said:

I wonder if their agent actually tried or just provided that response automatically.  If they are dealing with an agency where they can call and get a different customer service person I'd try to call again and try the upgrade.  

Sometimes Royal won't let you upgrade under 90 days but many times they will.  A travel agent won't know until they call Royal and ask.  

If I'm not mistaken they use Costco's as there on the West coast. More than likely you are probably correct.  I have never booked travel from any company that has a TA associated with them. I don't feel that you would get the best customer service like you would from a truly owned travel agency that does just travel.

12 minutes ago, mworkman said:

If I'm not mistaken they use Costco's as there on the West coast. More than likely you are probably correct.  I have never booked travel from any company that has a TA associated with them. I don't feel that you would get the best customer service like you would from a truly owned travel agency that does just travel.

I'm surprised they can use Royal UP.  That particular TA is known not to participate.  That may be a factor in the inability to upgrade under 90 days, it might be part of their agency contract with Royal.  

2 hours ago, Andrea555 said:

If we win our bid from Sky class to Star class will we have enough time to cancel our beverage packages, dining and get a refund in our gratuities all which are included in Star class rooms? 

Depends on if you get notified before the cruise planner closes.  If you can't cancel yourself then just ask the Genie and they will help you.  At that point it gets refunded as refundable OBC.  

31 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

Depends on if you get notified before the cruise planner closes.  If you can't cancel yourself then just ask the Genie and they will help you.  At that point it gets refunded as refundable OBC.  

Thank you that is now the 3rd different answer I got. I was told It would go back to our original credit card and then I was told 48 hours no refunds and then I was told 72 hours ...all very confusing , but way too much money for onboard credit for us so not sure I’ll let this go longer than 1 week before we cruise .as long as it’s refundable credit I’m okay with it. Thanks 

24 minutes ago, Andrea555 said:

Thank you that is now the 3rd different answer I got. I was told It would go back to our original credit card and then I was told 48 hours no refunds and then I was told 72 hours ...all very confusing , but way too much money for onboard credit for us so not sure I’ll let this go longer than 1 week before we cruise .as long as it’s refundable credit I’m okay with it. Thanks 

Sorry, didnt see this original question. I had this exact same question and experience,  so I called royal Caribbean directly. They told me that the refund should happen automatically,  with the normal processing time that royal takes (3-5 business days I think). And if didnt happen I should call back to make sure that the refund happens. I also asked if I found out within the 48 hours of leaving for the cruise. They told me same thing applies no matter when I was notified of the upgrade,  and I should go to guest services while onboard if I didn't receive the refund right away.

So basically be prepared to have both or double charges on your credit card until everything is cleared up. This is because the upgrade is an automatic charge once your bid is accepted.

I'm currently in sky class awaiting to hear back about my upgrade. I'm 7 days out from my cruise and I haven't heard a thing,  I'm sure we wont be upgraded at this point but we're still in the running. 🤞🏼 

Hope that helps!

1 hour ago, Andrea555 said:

The gratuities would go back to the card originally used but may not happen until after the cruise.  But any cruise planner purchases that aren't canceled prior to your sailing you end up getting as refundable OBC.  This goes for anything you may change your mind on..usually you have to see Guest Services but the Genie or Suite Concierge can also help you with it.  Any leftover refundable OBC will post as a refund to the card you put down for your onboard account when you check in.

Good luck on your RoyalUp!

11 hours ago, mworkman said:

Once again, I’ve managed to get my rejection email. It didn’t surprise me since this is a smaller ship and not as many suite are on Serenade. 

We'll be on Serenade next Oct. What kind of bid did you put in. I'll probably put one in when it's time. We're currently in a JS aft corner. Really looking forward to the extra large balcony, but might want to take a flyer on a GS or OS, for the right price. Whatever that is. 

@FManke We’re in JS, $1000 per person.  The problem is that there isn’t many cruises like this, 4 or less a year and that tends to sell out very quickly for the suite’s. I would suggest that you really want an upgrade and there are available rooms, it would be best to jump on them if the sailing is limited like ours.

20 hours ago, mworkman said:

@FManke We’re in JS, $1000 per person.  The problem is that there isn’t many cruises like this, 4 or less a year and that tends to sell out very quickly for the suite’s. I would suggest that you really want an upgrade and there are available rooms, it would be best to jump on them if the sailing is limited like ours.

We're happy with what we have, being it's our first time in anything above a ocean view. We will put in a bid if it seems reasonable. Not sure on suite availability last minute. There are still a lot left, but it is still 9mo months out. We'll see.

Happy cruising!