Jump to content
Royal Caribbean Blog

Coffee Cards- wait till ship?


Recommended Posts

Hellllo

During some of my research I came across info about the coffee card. I read that it was usually available a few days into the cruise however I see it available now in my cruise planner.

I have heard mixed reviews about the included coffee and my husband and I LOVE our coffee. I would like to wait till we are on board to see if the included coffee will scratch our coffee itch or if we should get the premium coffee card but have some questions to see what would be our best option.

My questions are:

1. Are coffee cards available day 1 now since they are in the cruise planner? 

2. Will the coffee card have an onboard deal if you wait a few days to buy it?

3. Has anyone seen the coffee cards go “on sale” in the cruise planner?

Thanks as always!

Amanda

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

@CruisinUngs I think you're confusing the coffee cards with the alcoholic drink cards. The drink cards show up later in the cruise; the coffee cards are always available.

I like to buy my things in advance to keep the charges to the onboard account low. You could also look for a Cruise Planner sale, but to be honest I don't know if the cards are ever discounted. Odds are they won't be discounted on the ship as they already offer a good value and Royal seems to be pushing for people to buy in advance and thus offering the best deals before boarding rather than onboard.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had bought the coffee card from the cruise planner for Brilliance last summer. I was very disappointed, The cruise planner says "card that entitles you to any 15 specialty espresso-based coffees throughout your vacation"  But, when I got my first drink, I ordered a large latte and the crew member then scratched off 3 bubbles off of my card. So it's only 15 shots total not 15 drinks! The cruise planner is misleading.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ChefFrancisco said:

I had bought the coffee card from the cruise planner for Brilliance last summer. I was very disappointed, The cruise planner says "card that entitles you to any 15 specialty espresso-based coffees throughout your vacation"  But, when I got my first drink, I ordered a large latte and the crew member then scratched off 3 bubbles off of my card. So it's only 15 shots total not 15 drinks! The cruise planner is misleading.

Yes, there have been many complaints about that....😕

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest toodle68

I had a better experience on Adventurer..  They only took 2 clips off when I had the starbucks equivalent of venti.. which meant I could get a large espresso for 1 clip.  Different ships, different rules..

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2018 at 8:40 PM, ChefFrancisco said:

I bet!, I'm never buying that ripoff again!

I think it's depends on the barista. I bought this card on Adventure and got Grande drinks, tall drinks and even a couple of venti's.

They never marked more than one spot per drink. I got multiple coffees everyday and still had 3 leftover. Sounds like you did get ripped off. I had also read that I found you got an espresso heavy drink they marked 2 . I never had that issue.

Like I said...it just depends on who you get waiting on you.  I love it and plan on buying it again when we go on Navigator in November.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Suzanne said:

I think it's depends on the barista. I bought this card on Adventure and got Grande drinks, tall drinks and even a couple of venti's.

They never marked more than one spot per drink. I got multiple coffees everyday and still had 3 leftover. Sounds like you did get ripped off. I had also read that I found you got an espresso heavy drink they marked 2 . I never had that issue.

Like I said...it just depends on who you get waiting on you.  I love it and plan on buying it again when we go on Navigator in November.

Out of curiosity, did you happen to throw an extra tip when you ordered? Like having a dollar bill or two wrapped around the card when you handed it over? I've heard / read doing things like that goes a long way with bar service to getting better treatment from the staff for things like a stronger drink, or them making sure to remember your favorites or standards; wouldn't surprise to find that also leads to a little bending of the rules around punches on the coffee card.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The on board coffee is really awful.    Does the ship you are going on have a Starbucks?    If not get the beverage package   .  We do that and get lattes all day at Cafe Latte-Tudes.  And if there are several sea days we get the deluxe beverage package.   If there is a Starbucks we get the coffee cards.  Have never  ever seen a deal  on the coffee cards.   And the beverage packages don`t include Starbucks.  One of many money making perks for R.C.    Like others have stated get them now to keep on board expenses down.   Would rather see Dunkin Donuts coffee than Starbucks.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I did notice that in the card description in the above post it says the vendi and grande size will cost 2 punches if they tried to punch 3 on me I would be wearing someones ear out in guest services you must be careful with the charges as well get a print out of charges every day I booked a massage on the oasis way in advance of the cruise at a substantial discount I went at my appointed time the next day I looked at my charges the girl at the desk in the spa had refunded my original cruise planner discount price and recharged me at the regular rack price which is much higher took about 2 hours and a parade of officers but they straightened it out stating glad you caught this while on the ship it would have been much more difficult to fix once the cruise is over

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/17/2018 at 11:39 AM, JLMoran said:

Out of curiosity, did you happen to throw an extra tip when you ordered? Like having a dollar bill or two wrapped around the card when you handed it over? I've heard / read doing things like that goes a long way with bar service to getting better treatment from the staff for things like a stronger drink, or them making sure to remember your favorites or standards; wouldn't surprise to find that also leads to a little bending of the rules around punches on the coffee card.

I didn't but I will do that next time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2018 at 10:28 AM, Roberta said:

So...I don’t see a coffee card as an option on my upcoming cruise, I see drink packages but no coffee card.   Does that mean it’s not available on the Explorer or do I need to search some hidden menu?

I'd be patient; items come and go at will in the Cruise Planner.  For months, ALL I had in my beverages tab was the coffee card and Evian package.  Nothing else.  Then all of a sudden options.  I've had items appear, disappear, then come back again.  There has never been a sale on them on my May sailing and none for my up coming sailings either.  So it won't cost you more on the boat. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I used the coffee card on Empress and Brilliance. On Empress, you use it primarily at the Cuban coffee bar just inside the entrance to Boleros on Deck 6. On Brilliance, you use it primarily at Cafe Latitudes on Deck 5 in the Centrum. I really enjoyed the coffee card on Empress. Since the coffee bar on that ship is special, the drinks are special...especially the cafecitos. Also, the empanadas are quite tasty, but that is beside the point. On Brilliance, I thought it was a waste of time and money. I didn't want the drinks they made with it enough to use all the punches. I thought the crew were going through the motions, really. It was just ok, and they limited me to one shot of espresso per punch which was not what I recalled from Empress. On Empress, I recall one punch per drink, and the drinks the crew made were really yummy.

As a result, personally, I would only consider that coffee card on Empress and not on any other ship. You can make a good coffee drink with the drip coffee and a dollop of soft serve from the pool or Windjammer to scratch that itch.

I am pretty sure the cards are the same price on board as on the Cruise Planner. I have never seen them on sale in the CP or discounted on board.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

What is included in the card?  Does it include the frozen style coffee drinks like the Frappauchinos?  I bought this for my daughter and her friends (18 yr olds) to satisfy their iced coffee urges.  Will this work for that type of drink? We are on anthem next week.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jzing said:

What is included in the card?  Does it include the frozen style coffee drinks like the Frappauchinos?  I bought this for my daughter and her friends (18 yr olds) to satisfy their iced coffee urges.  Will this work for that type of drink? We are on anthem next week.

As long as the beverage is made with espresso and not regular coffee, it will be covered. Because of this, I'm not 100% sure about the frapuccino-style beverages; at least with my local Starbucks, those are made with coffee, not espresso (unless you ask to add a shot), but the ships may prepare them with espresso instead. I'd recommend asking one of the workers there first before ordering, just to be safe.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jzing said:

I bought this for my daughter and her friends (18 yr olds) to satisfy their iced coffee urges.  Will this work for that type of drink? We are on anthem next week.

Yes, it will cover any specialty coffee that has an extra charge.  Frappuchino, macchiato, lattee, etc.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been researching the coffee card for our upcoming trip on Freedom of the Seas ... the tiny print (i.e. Additional Conditions apply) on the Cruise Planner says the card CANNOT be used at Starbucks (darn - I'm a Starbucks junkie).  So exactly where IS the card used?  Are the specialty coffees offered on board better than Starbucks?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dolores said:

Are the specialty coffees offered on board better than Starbucks? 

Of course it will always be a matter or taste and opinion  -  but I drink Starbucks a lot, it's right next to my building at work. I'm drinking it as I type. I only go to Cafe Promenade - I was happy every time. I don't remember the brand they used.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not a coffee aficionado (personally, I value the caffeine and the vanilla/hazelnut, and couldn't care less about the other high-falutin' stuff) but if I was, I would take all the above comments very seriously, and this is what I'd do: I would not get a coffee card until I was aboard. Then I'd get my favorite coffee, even though there's no discount. Then, IF I liked it, I would talk to the barista about that ship's policy for how many punches each coffee will cost me. If I still thought that the coffee card was worth it, I'd give the barista a nice tip and ask what her on-duty hours are.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...