Baltimore Bridge collapse

2 hours ago, RCIfan1912 said:

They can't have the port closed too long that for sure. The whole thing is a tragedy, but the port has to reopen ASAP. The are ships stuck in there. 

Yup, get ready for Gas and LNG prices to shoot up with that port closed. As far as cargo goes, I am sure NY and Virginia will pick up the slack. There will be some delays but things will start moving again. The bigger issue as you have stated is what is trapped in port . It will have to be off-loaded and trucked to a different port.

15 minutes ago, Fastfaller said:

Yup, get ready for Gas and LNG prices to shoot up with that port closed. As far as cargo goes, I am sure NY and Virginia will pick up the slack. There will be some delays but things will start moving again. The bigger issue as you have stated is what is trapped in port . It will have to be off-loaded and trucked to a different port.

Trucks and railroad yup. That freight can just sit there waiting for the bridge to be cleared. 

I bet they get at least that middle span cleared pretty fast. I mean the entire cleanup doesn't have to be completed, just that span in the middle. 

Unfortunately they still have to recover the souls that were lost. 😭 That will be extremely sad and traumatized, the poor families. I started to read about them before but got too depressed and couldn't finish. ☹️

1 hour ago, Atricks said:

This story from a local news station in the Hampton Roads area mentions Royal has contacted the Half Moone Cruise Terminal at Norfolk about possibly using it for Vision, but no announcements one way or the other yet.

https://www.wavy.com/news/local-news/carnival-to-temporarily-move-baltimore-operations-to-norfolk/

Yes just heard reports they are going to Norfolk and bussing passengers back to Baltimore.

15 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Gotta think RC has to announce something soon as I'm sure they're getting hounded with questions both for the next cruises and more importantly the current one.

I'm baffled they haven't already. Maybe they are gonna sail right through it? 😏

@smokeybandit
Flights & Travel

• Guests who booked flights and/or transfers through Royal Caribbean International that have been impacted will have arrangements rescheduled for them automatically.

• Our teams will provide you with your updated transfer details via email.

• If you’ve pre-purchased your air and transfers independently, please reach out to your carrier to arrange alternate accommodations.  

• If you currently have pre-scheduled transportation for your arrival (such as a flight, train ticket, or rental car) and incur a change fee, we will cover up to $200 USD per person for domestic changes or up to $400 USD per person for international changes. 

• Any new travel that you may need to purchase (flights, bus, train, or mileage) we will reimburse up to $200 USD.

• Please send your receipts to RoyalGuestRelations@rccl.com for review and reimbursement.

There is a light hydraulic oil sheen visible in the water that's believed to be from the DALI's bow thruster. Currently, there is no current evidence of pollution or leakage.

Over the next 24-48 hours the Coast Guard plans to make the crash site safe for salvage removal. That includes assessing and stabilizing the ship, which thus far has taken on no water.

The second phase involves removing damaged containers from the ship, before removing bridge debris.

From there, the Coast Guard will tow the DALI to Dundalk Marine Terminal.

More than 1,000 members of the US Army Corps of Engineers have been activated to help clear debris, which consist of 2,900 feet of steel and concrete lodged at the bottom of the river.

Losing a day and a port stop on the cruise... So they are giving $200 for transportation from Baltimore\DC airports to Norfolk and 200 more if you have to change your flights- which A lot of people will have to do on the back end, now. 

11 hours ago, SteveG said:

We have confirmed that the Vision of the Seas will be leaving out of Norfolk for our April 12th sailing.  RCL is dropping a day from the itinerary and only offering a $75 onboard credit for losing a day of cruising!  Not happy with RCL

My Allianz policy for a different cruise provided 100 for missed port. So 75 is close but certainly less.

• 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I've got a cruise on Vision in summer 2025 and the price for that dropped considerably today. I wonder if they're suddenly having issues selling that route?

Was that the bridge that restricted the height of cruise ships another one