Shorts or no shorts

1 hour ago, RonnieB24 said:

So I’m curious to know everyone’s opinion on wearing like khaki or nice shorts with like a polo in the main dining hall?

Would not be a problem.  I probably wouldn’t do it on “formal” night (not that there really IS a formal night anymore) but on your average evening, you will see far more casual….you'll be fine.

My husband does not pack slacks for our cruises.  He tells me he is on vacation…lol!  I do agree 👍🏻.  He always looks put together with dress shorts and collared polo shirts for our MDR dinners.  Neither of us dress us formally for the dressy nights onboard.  I almost always wear palazzo pants or dressy capris with nice tops for dinner…comfortable and neatly dressed!

On 3/7/2024 at 3:14 PM, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

My husband does not pack slacks for our cruises.  He tells me he is on vacation…lol!  I do agree 👍🏻.  He always looks put together with dress shorts and collared polo shirts for our MDR dinners.  Neither of us dress us formally for the dressy nights onboard.  I almost always wear palazzo pants or dressy capris with nice tops for dinner…comfortable and neatly dressed!

I understand shorts  for beach itineraries but in Europe I find Rick Steves sets a good example of casual clothes that are suitable for culture. Churches don't like shorts in many countries. Hence dockers or slacks are a plus for me.

On 3/8/2024 at 9:39 PM, ChessE4 said:

I understand shorts  for beach itineraries but in Europe I find Rick Steves sets a good example of casual clothes that are suitable for culture. Churches don't like shorts in many countries. Hence dockers or slacks are a plus for me.

Yes dressing per culture suitability is a must!  He will definitely pack accordingly for our TA over to Rome next year!  But for our leisurely Bahama/Caribbean cruises…his dress shorts 🩳 and 👞 loafers are perfect paired with a button down shirt or polo shirt. 

10 hours ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

Yes dressing per culture suitability is a must!  He will definitely pack accordingly for our TA over to Rome next year!  But for our leisurely Bahama/Caribbean cruises…his dress shorts 🩳 and 👞 loafers are perfect paired with a button down shirt or polo shirt. 

Yes, and he always looks very handsome !🥰🥰

Would *I* wear shorts or formal night?  No.  Getting dressed up and having photos taken is something my family really enjoys while cruising.  Would I spend a single nanosecond worrying about, criticizing or critiquing a fellow guest who opted to wear shorts?  Also no.  We get dressed up because we like to, other people prefer not to go through the bother because that's what they like.  In the end, we're all there to enjoy ourselves!

3 minutes ago, USCG Teacher said:

Would *I* wear shorts or formal night?  No.  Getting dressed up and having photos taken is something my family really enjoys while cruising.  Would I spend a single nanosecond worrying about, criticizing or critiquing a fellow guest who opted to wear shorts?  Also no.  We get dressed up because we like to, other people prefer not to go through the bother because that's what they like.  In the end, we're all there to enjoy ourselves!

One of the better phrasings to this beat to death topic I've read. Agree with every word. Well said.

Since opinions were asked...

I don't much care what anybody else wears.  On the first or last night, I have been seen dining in my travel clothes. 

I do also understand, many folks look forward to a truly dressy dining experience.  I will continue to respect that, and I will dress accordingly when I am able. 

I am very open to people wearing the clothes they feel most comfortable wearing, as long as it meets society's minimum standards of decency. On my last sailing with Vision of the Seas, I witnessed multiple people at breakfast in only their bathrobes from the room which I believe you should do your best to avoid. I would also strongly advise not walking around barefoot in public areas.

On Royal? They probably don't care what you wear, it not like there's someone outside the MDR going "Nah, no shorts!!! Get lost". I saw someone shirtless a few days ago in the MDR...

On other cruise lines like Cunard where the dress code is more heavily enforced, you'd probably be turned away.